Darksiders II Limited Edition $24.99--Best Buy--YMMV

Quintessence

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I was at one of my local Best Buys today and saw a lot of Darksiders II Limited editions with big yellow 50% off stickers on them. The price on the display still says $49.99, but an override is done at the register. As with odd sale items, your mileage may vary.

I was only looking in the Xbox 360 section, so I am unsure if there are PS3 versions available at that price or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
that sounds like a store specific sale... so YMMV.. but good find and I"ll take a look when I go to best buy later today.

Limited edition was just the first print run with the lenticular. PS3 should have limited edition too. $10 is the right price point for this, especially since there may never be a third. Vigil didnt sell at auction and all employees were laid off. The Darksiders IP will be up for sale in a couple weeks but a new studio/publisher could do anything with it (if anyone actually wants it).

The lady at bb told me that ps3 didn't get an LE and when I checked their website it doesn't list the ps3 LE version. I could be wrong, just puttin' it out there.

[quote name='Blaster man']Limited edition was just the first print run with the lenticular. PS3 should have limited edition too. $10 is the right price point for this, especially since there may never be a third. Vigil didnt sell at auction and all employees were laid off. The Darksiders IP will be up for sale in a couple weeks but a new studio/publisher could do anything with it (if anyone actually wants it).[/QUOTE]

Crytek bought em a few days ago.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Crytek bought em a few days ago.[/QUOTE]

Technically Crytek didnt buy them, but they hired the same team of Vigil employees and started a new studio called Crytek USA, consisting of the 35 former Vigil Games employees. I don't know if the Darksiders rights were bought.

No they didn't. Vigil has been closed and all employees laid off. Crytek hired 35 of the couple hundred employees that were laid off. They didnt buy the studio or the IP.

You're right, it would seem I got my wires crossed on those stories. Still a shit situation, either way. Hopefully the franchise isn't lost forever. Be curious to see if Platinum goes through with trying to grab the franchise.

Don't wanna further derail the topic. Would be stoked to track down one of those Death masks.

I saw a whole bunch of LE's when I grabbed Prototype 2 on Thursday. Didn't check the price but I'll keep an eye on it. I can resist until it gets to that "it costs less than a cheap lunch" mark. With Best Buy, it could happen. Just wait and see.

[quote name='IanKazimer']You're right, it would seem I got my wires crossed on those stories. Still a shit situation, either way. Hopefully the franchise isn't lost forever. Be curious to see if Platinum goes through with trying to grab the franchise.

Don't wanna further derail the topic. Would be stoked to track down one of those Death masks.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't trying to derail, I just wanted to make sure everyone knew the situation with the game before buying it so they could make a more educated decision. Personally, I don't think it's worth picking up until it hits $10. After the THQ IP auction in a few weeks (date is TBD), if the IP sells then maybe I'd pay more than $10. Until the auction or if it's unsold at auction then forget it.

There are or were three version (excluding Collector's Edition) of Darksiders II Bestbuy sold at:

• Limited Edition Best Buy exclusive version
  • Limited Edition (different UPC) that all other retailers had
  • regular version which might be the same UPC as LE

[quote name='IanKazimer'] Would be stoked to track down one of those Death masks.[/QUOTE]

The death masks are in the Collector's Edition, and those are completely gone everywhere, aside from huge markups on Amazon and eBay of course.

[quote name='Blaster man']Limited edition was just the first print run with the lenticular. [/QUOTE]

It also comes with the first DLC and a costume. I am not sure if the regular versions include that. Of course, if you get the Best Buy exclusive edition, that will be slightly different. EDIT: I just opened mine (I got the Best Buy one) and inside is the Argul's Tomb DLC, Angel of Death costume DLC, Crucible code, and a small comic.

Nevertheless, this version is cheaper than what Amazon has the normal one for. And I like shiny things! :bouncy:

[quote name='Blaster man']I wasn't trying to derail, I just wanted to make sure everyone knew the situation with the game before buying it so they could make a more educated decision. Personally, I don't think it's worth picking up until it hits $10. After the THQ IP auction in a few weeks (date is TBD), if the IP sells then maybe I'd pay more than $10. Until the auction or if it's unsold at auction then forget it.[/QUOTE]

its not a stock, so why would it matter? All that should matter is the gameplay and story.

[quote name='Blaster man']I wasn't trying to derail, I just wanted to make sure everyone knew the situation with the game before buying it so they could make a more educated decision. Personally, I don't think it's worth picking up until it hits $10. After the THQ IP auction in a few weeks (date is TBD), if the IP sells then maybe I'd pay more than $10. Until the auction or if it's unsold at auction then forget it.[/QUOTE]

Huh? You think just because there might not be anymore in the series, that it isn't worth $25? Ok... :roll:

I hate it that Crytek didn't buy the IP. Darksiders is awesome, and now we will never get to see its conclusion.

[quote name='Zaku77']I hate it that Crytek didn't buy the IP. Darksiders is awesome, and now we will never get to see its conclusion.[/QUOTE]

We will see what happens with the legacy sale. I just hope somebody buys the IP. Since Homefront got bought, this just has to be picked up!

I am about to finish Darksiders from PS+, loving this game, aside from few annoying puzzles that is not a exercise of the mind but solely based on trial and error. I assume II has made further improvements.

[quote name='aircobra']Huh? You think just because there might not be anymore in the series, that it isn't worth $25? Ok... :roll:[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what I'm saying. The first game ended in a cliffhanger. I've not played the 2nd game but know enough about it to know that it happens concurrently with the first. Personally I'm not a fan of watching TV shows that get cancelled after the season cliffhanger and similarly I'm not going to pay $25 for a game series that has no conclusion.
Everyone was dead at the end of the first one and all four horsemen came to Earth. I'm sorry but if there's no conclusion to the actual story then hell no I'm not paying that much for it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kcbKeGvOnw
If Mass Effect 3 was cancelled and EA said they'd never make it, how many people would go and play ME1 and ME2 now for $25 each? People may compare the series to Zelda but unlike Zelda it isn't a self contained story.

For somebody who "makes video games", you sure do spread some incorrect information about them.

vigil studios just sreams out sony and ubisofts name to me. in my mind one of those two publishers should have snatched them up. wasnt sony santa monica interested in their employees ? im also wondering since the publisher and studio are offically gone will this game get re printed ?

[quote name='Nintendonly']For somebody who "makes video games", you sure do spread some incorrect information about them.[/QUOTE]

Though his facts weren't straight, it was still relevant to the issue of the studio. I'd appreciate the information. It'd be up to me to look up further details. Not everyone who works in the game industry will be crystal clear on any form of acquisition.

[quote name='strait edge follower']vigil studios just sreams out sony and ubisofts name to me. in my mind one of those two publishers should have snatched them up. wasnt sony santa monica interested in their employees ? im also wondering since the publisher and studio are offically gone will this game get re printed ?[/QUOTE]
It's too late. Vigil is dead.

I worry that if no one picks up the franchise, then copies will become scarce, and I still need to buy the second one. I wouldn't want to risk waiting for the price to drop to bargain levels.

[quote name='bruceg']I worry that if no one picks up the franchise, then copies will become scarce, and I still need to buy the second one. I wouldn't want to risk waiting for the price to drop to bargain levels.[/QUOTE]

The Wii U version is the rarest.

[quote name='Blaster man']That's exactly what I'm saying. The first game ended in a cliffhanger. I've not played the 2nd game but know enough about it to know that it happens concurrently with the first. Personally I'm not a fan of watching TV shows that get cancelled after the season cliffhanger and similarly I'm not going to pay $25 for a game series that has no conclusion.
Everyone was dead at the end of the first one and all four horsemen came to Earth. I'm sorry but if there's no conclusion to the actual story then hell no I'm not paying that much for it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kcbKeGvOnw
If Mass Effect 3 was cancelled and EA said they'd never make it, how many people would go and play ME1 and ME2 now for $25 each? People may compare the series to Zelda but unlike Zelda it isn't a self contained story.[/QUOTE]

I also thought it was a cliffhanger but it really isnt. Its a prelude to what was going to be the other games. I heard rumor that they were wanting to make a third game with Co-op featuring the other 2 Horsemen, Fury and Strife. But that isnt going to happen now. :(
SPOILER ALERT!

Has anyone else seen this price? My BB has tons of copies of the BB LE edition, and I've been waiting for the price to drop on it for awhile now.

[quote name='TooPoor']I am about to finish Darksiders from PS+, loving this game, aside from few annoying puzzles that is not a exercise of the mind but solely based on trial and error. I assume II has made further improvements.[/QUOTE]

The game is cool until they make you do this long fetch quest through areas you already beat, then it drags on. Is that where you are?

[quote name='Izod517']Has anyone else seen this price? My BB has tons of copies of the BB LE edition, and I've been waiting for the price to drop on it for awhile now.[/QUOTE]

I saw this sale at the BB on Los Feliz blvd in CA but they only had xbox version. They were in a stack across from the gamer checkout area. YMMV

Aside from the death of the original Devil May Cry series, the probable cancellation of any future Darksider games is disappointing. If it's dead, let it die. Don't let another company pick it up and make it into something gay, as was the case with DmC. Seems like when other developers pick up the rights to a game franchise they end up royally screwing it up and deviating too far from the originals. Happened to Crackdown 2, DmC, Far Cry 2, and quite a few others.

[quote name='AukeySeven']The game is cool until they make you do this long fetch quest through areas you already beat, then it drags on. Is that where you are?[/QUOTE]
Yep. Hopefully I can have time over the weekend to finish it.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Happened to Crackdown 2[/QUOTE]

Eh....That one was basically staying extremely close to the original in terms of practically everything. Which reviewers despised. Cause fixing something that isn't broke is apparently a bad thing to them or something.

Though I can get not wanting to start up on a story potentially doomed to remain unfinished, the game really is quite good. Sticks to the gated design that people like about Zelda and pushes the combat/combos further than DS1 did. The art's great and Jesper Kyd killed it with the soundtrack. Really cool work.

That said, I did end up trading in my 360 copy to BB not long ago. Amazon had a pretty great package deal for DS1 and DS2 on PC, as well as the season pass and DLC for the latter. Either way, it's worth playing.

[quote name='Nintendonly']For somebody who "makes video games", you sure do spread some incorrect information about them.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, not my net cred! The game design hive mind will be most upset with me.

[quote name='AukeySeven']I saw this sale at the BB on Los Feliz blvd in CA but they only had xbox version. They were in a stack across from the gamer checkout area. YMMV[/QUOTE]

That is actually the Best Buy I was at. lol

What does this have to do with the game value? It is more likely to go OOP before it hits $10. Besides, the game is amazing for anyone who craves a Zelda-esque gameplay but doesn't have a Wii.

I picked it up the game on Black Friday for $30 and it was definitely worth it then!

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Aside from the death of the original Devil May Cry series, the probable cancellation of any future Darksider games is disappointing. If it's dead, let it die. Don't let another company pick it up and make it into something gay, as was the case with DmC. Seems like when other developers pick up the rights to a game franchise they end up royally screwing it up and deviating too far from the originals. Happened to Crackdown 2, DmC, Far Cry 2, and quite a few others.[/QUOTE]

Did you even play DmC? The game is pretty solid compared to the originals. Besides, DMC needed a reboot as the catastrophe that was DMC 4 soiled its name.

Just because the main character had gotten a haircut doesn't make the game bad.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Aside from the death of the original Devil May Cry series, the probable cancellation of any future Darksider games is disappointing. If it's dead, let it die. Don't let another company pick it up and make it into something gay, as was the case with DmC. Seems like when other developers pick up the rights to a game franchise they end up royally screwing it up and deviating too far from the originals. Happened to Crackdown 2, DmC, Far Cry 2, and quite a few others.[/QUOTE]

Did you even play DmC? The game is pretty solid compared to the originals. Besides, DMC needed a reboot as the catastrophe that was DMC 4 soiled its name.

Just because the main character had gotten a haircut doesn't make the game bad.

[quote name='StryderOmega']What does this have to do with the game value? It is more likely to go OOP before it hits $10. Besides, the game is amazing for anyone who craves a Zelda-esque gameplay but doesn't have a Wii.

I picked it up the game on Black Friday for $30 and it was definitely worth it then!

Just because the main character had gotten a haircut doesn't make the game bad.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. DmC wouldn't be necessary if DMC 4 wasn't such a bad game. As far I'm concerned, DmC is the most successful western developed Capcom original and definitely breathing new life to the series.

Tempting to own a soon-to-be piece of gaming history. I'm still shocked that no one put a single bid in for Vigil at the THQ auction. Square Enix could have picked up another Western development house for dirt cheap.

694.png

Anyone have a SKU for this one? Curious cause the BB i called said all versions are $49.99. They even have 1 CE for $79.99 still.

[quote name='Zaku77']I hate it that Crytek didn't buy the IP. Darksiders is awesome, and now we will never get to see its conclusion.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's a damn shame a lot of people are missing out on a great game. I really enjoyed Darksiders II.

bread's done
Back