When to buy a 360 or PS3

EvilEvincar

CAGiversary!
I probably won't buy one for a little while, but I am thinking about getting a 360. Yes, I know I am late to the game; been job hunting and relied on PC for gaming fix. But with the possible announcements of next-gen coming at E3 or earlier, what is the best option? There is a few things I thought of:

1) Buy as soon as a good sale comes up. This is presuming that a price drop won't happen upon launch of the new system.

2) Wait for announcement of a price drop (likely coinciding with announcement/release of next-gen system).

3) Wait for next-gen system to take advantage of backward compatibility. This will presume that buying next-gen will be around the same price that current-gen consoles are.

So what are your thoughts?

It sounds like you could wait considering you've got a PC for some gaming.

There are always great overlooked deals happening like the above poster mentioned.

Also, don't always count on backwards compatibility or a price drop.

Personally, I wasn't afraid to buy now. I found this years holiday bundle for $250 and went for it because my old 360 pretty much died.

Then again, I don't plan to be an early adopter for the next generation. That's if I decide to go on at all...

If you're just looking at the basic 4GB console I don't think you'll do any better then $150 (I would have jumped on the $199 + $50GC deal at BB last week---you could have used the $50 GC towards 1 year of XBL which BB also had on sale for $35).

^ This is of course if you are planning to buy new. If Microsoft does a price drop I expect it to be $179.99 and if we're lucky $149.99 but I think that is doubtful. When you look at the Wii still selling for $129.99 it doesn't make sense for Microsoft or Sony to do too much of a price drop.

Either wait until the end of the year or you'll have to do some work, searching for a deal that fits your wants. Amazon Warehouse, Craigslist, LE bundles, etc.

I don't know if waiting that many months is worth saving $20-$50 dollars unless you don't really care about playing it. I'd rather possibly spend more (you can't predict the future) and have something I can use when I'm ready to use it then wait months hoping for a price drop.

Pick a number you are comfortable spending, and a model/bundle you're interested in and pull the trigger when you find something. At this point waiting for a price drop is kind of silly because nothing has been annoucned and if their is a price drop you're going to be out a maximum of $50.

When we're this late in the game, I'd say just wait for the next generation, if they're backwards compatible. You'll pay more now, but you'll future proof yourself.

I'd wait for next gen too, but you might be able to score a cheap system on Craigslist or Cowboom.

[quote name='mkelehan']When we're this late in the game, I'd say just wait for the next generation, if they're backwards compatible. You'll pay more now, but you'll future proof yourself.[/QUOTE]

based on what we know what so far that seem unlikely.

If you've waited this long, I would just wait until the successors come out first, and just buy a used older gen console off one of the early buyers. If the new consoles are backwards compatible, you are more than likely going to find the older consoles for dirt cheap on craigslist near launch. If not backwards compatible, then I would consider going the new clearance / sale route for the older generation.

Personally I don't like buying new consoles at launch, as there are usually some sort of manufacturing and reliability issues in the first round of consoles. The only reason why you would really want to get a new console at launch is if you can't wait to play the new games, but seeing your track record of waiting 6 years, I don't think that is an issue for you.

[quote name='EvilEvincar']

3) Wait for next-gen system to take advantage of backward compatibility. This will presume that buying next-gen will be around the same price that current-gen consoles are.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the next gen systems will be around the same price that current gen consoles are. Substitue the word were for that and then I would recommend option #3.

I say stick to PC gaming... If I could start over that is what I would do. Now a days, most games are published in all platforms except for those that are exclusive to the 1st party which you'll need that console. Plus, you can just download the games via Steam so there is no physical disc to clutter up your room (like me \ which I am disliking now a days)

bread's done
Back