Uncle Ruckus movie on Kickstarter

Gary Anthony Williams dressed up as Uncle Ruckus? At the NAACP Image Awards? On the first day of Black History Month? Damn, Aaron McGruder can have a few of my dollars just for that.

The video is pretty ballsy too.

At first I thought a live action Uncle Ruckus would never work, but the voice actor's resemblance is incredible.

I know, that's just what's so creepy. But then again, the guy did play Stevie's dad in Malcolm in the Middle.

I'm just laughing like nuts because this idea is just fucking crazy.

I am really curious to see how the public at large is going to respond to this.

Let's hope we don't see Jaden Smith cameo as Huey or Riley.

The Boondocks has always been fair. It simultaneously comments on the racism prevalent in society but does not let blacks, its leaders or its media (BET) off the hook. The "$$$$a moment" episodes and the MLK episode were brilliant.

I do wish it were planned to be animation, though.

[quote name='Spokker']The Boondocks has always been fair. It simultaneously comments on the racism prevalent in society but does not let blacks, its leaders or its media (BET) off the hook. The "$$$$a moment" episodes and the MLK episode were brilliant.

I do wish it were planned to be animation, though.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you, it's some of the funniest and best social satire and parody regarding race there is.

But how do you think someone unexposed to it, in the Boondocks's unapologetic, nothing is sacred and no-one's immune totality, would respond to that image of Uncle R unfurling the stars-and-bars and waving it as he does there?

I think they'll poo themselves- I wish they wouldn't but I think they will.

As a fan of the animated series over the comic (three or four panels just can't explore enough within the subjects complexities and nuances) I don't know how well the general populace knows these characters- I guess it is an ideal media IP for kickstarter funding, as the fans get it where a studio head might see it as: "WTF? No way in hell."

I hope it finds a good distributor as well as I don't think Smith's Red State model is that effective. Although I'd pay a premium to see this digital direct early.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']
But how do you think someone unexposed to it, in the Boondocks's unapologetic, nothing is sacred and no-one's immune totality, would respond to that image of Uncle R unfurling the stars-and-bars and waving it as he does there? [/QUOTE]

As long as he sticks to his vision and never apologizes, it doesn't matter.

My God, Sam Jackson's Stephen will have a run for his money if this comes out. Maybe it will delve into Ruckus' past and we will find out just why the hell he is so damn racist. LOL

[quote name='Calinks']My God, Sam Jackson's Stephen will have a run for his money if this comes out. Maybe it will delve into Ruckus' past and we will find out just why the hell he is so damn racist. LOL[/QUOTE]

They already did an episode about that.

[quote name='Spokker']The Boondocks has always been fair. It simultaneously comments on the racism prevalent in society but does not let blacks, its leaders or its media (BET) off the hook. The "$$$$a moment" episodes and the MLK episode were brilliant.

I do wish it were planned to be animation, though.[/QUOTE]
They did the research and figured that an animation would cost them $20 million and Sony doesn't want to do it.

[quote name='Blade']Always loved the black white supremacist concept, but I can't see a full movie coming out of it. Even if it's Borat-style. It needs to be an actual Boondocks movie.[/QUOTE]
Borat style is the plan B if they can't get enough funding. The movie is supposed to be about his family.

I have a kickstarter question. If you have already donated but give more money, does it bump up your contributor level?

Thinking about throwing down the extra 30 for a phone call from the legend himself.

Edit: I just looked into it and I guess it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't Samuel Jackson just portraying uncle rufus in that django movie?

Great videos makes me wanna watch boondocks.

I want to start a kickstarter to get me 10 grand so I can give it to the uncle ruckuss kickstarter so I can be in the movie. All those that donate to me will be rewarded by my presence in the uncle ruckuss movie. :]

fuck one week left and less than halfway there? This is total bullshit. Might end up pledging more at the end if it gets close.

I wish I were a millionaire; I'd back this entire fucking thing.

And even if they did meet the kickstarter goal they still needed to find the rest of the money somewhere else. So if this doesn't even succeed I'd say they're screwed.

They really haven't done a very good job of promoting this. Most projects are either self promoting 24/7 or have built up a community around it first, they're trying some things but a lot of people who loved The Boondocks still have no idea this exists.

He probably needs to say or do something controversial to get on the major news networks, just for the attention.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I just got off the phone with Uncle Ruckus. It was pure awesomeness. He said he is working on two new songs.[/QUOTE]
Was that your Kickstarter reward?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Was that your Kickstarter reward?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I got the Glenn Beck Special. I originally signed up for Ted Nugent, but the chance to talk to Ruckus was too great of an opportunity to pass up.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I cant believe this is going to fail. I am sad.[/QUOTE]
Are there any projects as controversial as this that have succeeded on Kickstarter? I would imagine something like Kickstarter attracts many people who would be offended by this.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Yeah. I got the Glenn Beck Special. I originally signed up for Ted Nugent, but the chance to talk to Ruckus was too great of an opportunity to pass up.[/QUOTE]
That's awesome! I'm very tempted. How long was the conversation?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']That's awesome! I'm very tempted. How long was the conversation?[/QUOTE]

I believe they are sold out of them now, but it was like a 3 minute conversation. He invested enough personally where it didn't feel fake and was highly enjoyable.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I believe they are sold out of them now, but it was like a 3 minute conversation. He invested enough personally where it didn't feel fake and was highly enjoyable.[/QUOTE]
Oh shoot. They are sold out. Well done sir, that's awesome.

Those videos on the channel are all funny. It's a shame this most likely won't get funded. :(

Disappointment... Unless a whale jumps in and saves it, this kickstarter is pretty fucked.

The only good thing is that Aaron MacGruder said that the kickstarter got people interested in investing in the movie. Hopefully the Uncle Ruckus Movie gets made with money from those investors.

bread's done
Back