Four in February

MrshllJcb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)
So I've been inspired by a CAG on here JustYourAverageJoe (who was inspired by a Neogaf user) to try to create a fun way to get rid of our PC backlogs (thanks a lot Tony).

The rules as described by JustYourAverageJoe are pretty simple. You pair up with another person and they pick 4 games (and you pick 4 of theirs) from your backlog that you must try your best to complete in the month of February, the games can be brand new to you or you could have already started them. It seemed like there was a bit of interest in this so I figured we could use this thread to find another person to team up with to try to complete the challenge. I'm making this a wiki so everyone can add to it and hopefully add the two people working together and the 4 games each of them will beat. Enjoy!

Note: If you cannot, or do not wish to, pair up with someone else, you don't have to. Please feel free to participate by yourself!

Rules:
Eligible Games:

- The game must have defined end point or goal, either through a traditional campaign or through a set amount of content to be played. Infinite games, or games without a defined end point, such as Audiosurf, should not be picked.

- A game is considered complete once the endpoint of the game is reached. You do not have to complete all content in the game for it to be considered complete. However, if you wish to 100% once it's been picked, please free to!

- The game can already have been started before it's picked for this. You're not restricted to solely unplayed games. However, it defeats the purpose to pick a game that's almost finished, and where's the fun in that?

- The game does not have to be on Steam.

- You can work with your partner to pick a reasonable list of games. If your partner chooses all 200+ hour games, you should probably get another partner.

This is entirely honor-based and for fun. You are encouraged to share your achievements, screenshots, etc. to show your progress, but this is by no means required.

Pairings:

MrshllJcb: Batman Arkham Asylum, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Machinarium, Zeno Clash
Junpei: Sleeping Dogs, BioShock 2, The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom, Deadlight

Cheaplikeafox: A.R.E.S., F.E.A.R, Gemini Rue, Supreme Commander
Dys006: Plants vs. Zombies, Left 4 Dead 2, Rochard, Syberia
(alternative: Your Doodles Are Bugged!)

slofton: Portal 2, Bastion, Shank, Arkham Asylum
(alternative/bonus: VVVVVV)
Dr Sasquatch: Jolly Rover, BioShock, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Quantum Conundrum

SeymourGams: Torchlight, Jet Set Radio, Trine, Sonic Adventure DX
DeliveryPizza: Waking Mars, Bioshock, Torchlight, AvP

Jugglenaut: Bioshock 2, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, Deadlight, Dustforce
Sinfulfate: The Binding of Isaac, Psychonauts, Gravity Rush, Cave Story+

Motoki: Portal, Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, Blackwell Legacy, Puzzler World
(alternative/bonus: Murder, She Wrote)
Gilby: Waking Mars, Underrail, The Oil Blue, Knights of Honor
(alternative/bonus: Analogue: A Hate Story)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice idea, I'd like to partecipate!
What are the rules about eligible games?
Should they be games in which you haven't still registrered a single minute of play time?
Must they be Steamworks only?
How can some storyless games (i.e. Droplitz) be considered complete, or are we limited to choose story driven games only?
Can we maybe spice things up by requesting at least one game with achievements in which your partner has to complete a single, specific objective?

haha now you've put even more thought than I had. They can be games you have started, but it seems silly to have games you're about to beat on the list. I made my list of my whole PC backlog and included all of the Origin and Uplay games that I could remember off the top of my head as well. I think the achievement thing will be something that you and your partner should agree upon

Maybe we could refer to some site like http://howlongtobeat.com/, even though it is not 100% accurate, and state that eligible games' main story should not exceed 10-15 hours...

You betcha, feel free to add me on Steam :)
ID: junpeitodoroki
I guess you can look at my backlog by simply skimming through my profile's library, I'm ready for (almost) anything ;)

[quote name='Junpei']You betcha, feel free to add me on Steam :)
ID: junpeitodoroki
I guess you can look at my backlog by simply skimming through my profile's library, I'm ready for (almost) anything ;)[/QUOTE]

okay sounds good, I'll add you. Also if you want to create a selection out of your backlog for me to choose from you can so you can exclude anything you arent ready to play yet, otherwise I'll get to searching. I created a list of 50 or so games that I'll pm you.

Also looking at your backlog we could actually play the same 4 games if we wanted lol

I'd like to do this! Lord knows that I buy games and never play them. Ill start making a list. Anyone wanna be my partner for science class? :D

[quote name='slofton']I'd like to do this! Lord knows that I buy games and never play them. Ill start making a list. Anyone wanna be my partner for science class? :D[/QUOTE]

I know AverageJoe had mentioned asking Motoki to join this but if he cant get Motoki to join you might be able to ask him to join up with you

[quote name='Junpei']Maybe we could refer to some site like http://howlongtobeat.com/, even though it is not 100% accurate, and state that eligible games' main story should not exceed 10-15 hours...[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of expanding on your idea. Let the person who is playing the games decide how much time they are willing to play during the month. Say for example, Skryim vs The Darkness 2. Skryim takes on average 31 hours for the basic story plus some. The Darkness 2 takes 5 hours to complete. I think that this could work much better.
BTW I'm going to participate. http://steamcommunity.com/id/aShufflinZombie

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I'm kind of expanding on your idea. Let the person who is playing the games decide how much time they are willing to play during the month. Say for example, Skryim vs The Darkness 2. Skryim takes on average 31 hours for the basic story plus some. The Darkness 2 takes 5 hours to complete. I think that this could work much better.
BTW I'm going to participate. http://steamcommunity.com/id/aShufflinZombie[/QUOTE]

Yeah, when picking the games I tried to be considerate of how long each title was and if I put a longer game I also tried to put a shorter one (Deadlight can be beat in like 2 hours). I think we are all knowledgeable gamers and fairly reasonable so it shouldn't be too difficult to pick appropriate games for something like this.

and not that its relevant or important but I enjoyed my time with The Darkness 2 much more than my time with Skyrim (on consoles)

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Yeah, when picking the games I tried to be considerate of how long each title was and if I put a longer game I also tried to put a shorter one (Deadlight can be beat in like 2 hours). I think we are all knowledgeable gamers and fairly reasonable so it shouldn't be too difficult to pick appropriate games for something like this.

and not that its relevant or important but I enjoyed my time with The Darkness 2 much more than my time with Skyrim (on consoles)[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed The Darkness 2 more but I have Skyrim to show off what my computer can do. ;)

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I enjoyed The Darkness 2 more but I have Skyrim to show off what my computer can do. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's no denying how nice a mod'd Skyrim looks.

[quote name='dys006']I got you.

A.R.E.S.
F.E.A.R.
Gemini Rue
Supreme Commander

I don't think these are too long.

EDIT: howlongtobeat.com A.R.E.S., F.E.A.R., Gemini Rue, Supreme Commander, says you'll be done in about 36 hours. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Sounds good to me. I'm heading out to pick up some last minute snacks for the game, but when I get back I'll look through your Steam list and choose 4 for you.

[quote name='slofton']Meh. Pick anything from the list! Only games ive beat are ME1/2, Portal 1.....

Typing that, that's all the games ive beat on my list has made me suddenly sad lol

http://steamcommunity.com/id/steeviedanger[/QUOTE]

Portal 2
Bastion
Shank
Arkham Asylum

bonus/alternate: VVVVVV

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SasquatchMD/

Beaten:
Atom Zombie Smasher
Blueberry Garden
Borderlands
Coconut Queen
Dungeon Defenders
Oblivion
Faerie Solitaire
Flight Control HD
Fluttabytes
Fortix 1, 2
Home
Homefront
Kane and Lynch 1
KrissX
Lume
Mark of the Ninja
Might and Magic: CLash of Heroes
Plants vs Zombies
Puzzle Agent 1, 2
Puzzler World 1, 2
Spec Ops
Thirty Flights of Loving
Windowsill

Excellent choices! Thank you

Jolly Rover
BioShock
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Quantum Conundrum

2 games I think are some of the best made (Bioshock and Condemned) and 2 that always seemed interesting.

If you complete them all, i'll give you a game of your choice around $15! Good luck!

[quote name='Dr Sasquatch']Portal 2
Bastion
Shank
Arkham Asylum

bonus/alternate: VVVVVV

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SasquatchMD/

Beaten:
Atom Zombie Smasher
Blueberry Garden
Borderlands
Coconut Queen
Dungeon Defenders
Oblivion
Faerie Solitaire
Flight Control HD
Fluttabytes
Fortix 1, 2
Home
Homefront
Kane and Lynch 1
KrissX
Lume
Mark of the Ninja
Might and Magic: CLash of Heroes
Plants vs Zombies
Puzzle Agent 1, 2
Puzzler World 1, 2
Spec Ops
Thirty Flights of Loving
Windowsill
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='slofton']Excellent choices! Thank you

Jolly Rover
BioShock
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Quantum Conundrum

2 games I think are some of the best made (Bioshock and Condemned) and 2 that always seemed interesting.

If you complete them all, i'll give you a game of your choice around $15! Good luck![/QUOTE]

Awesome, great choices! Can't wait to get started! (After the game -- Go Niners!)

[quote name='dys006']I got you.

A.R.E.S.
F.E.A.R.
Gemini Rue
Supreme Commander

I don't think these are too long.

EDIT: howlongtobeat.com A.R.E.S., F.E.A.R., Gemini Rue, Supreme Commander, says you'll be done in about 36 hours. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Alright so yours will be:

Plants vs. Zombies (unless maybe you already beat this on phone or tablet?)
Left 4 Dead 2
Rochard
Syberia

Alternate for PvZ: Your Doodles Are Bugged!

[quote name='SeymourGams']I'm in if someone wants to take a go at it. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198063453463/games/

I can't play Saint's Row the 3rd because of my current laptop's graphics card, it slows the gameplay to a grinding halt, but Bioshock and some other more modern games run fine.

I also rarely play games in my library without achievements, so now might be the time.[/QUOTE]

Hey wanna pair up? Here is my steam games (my Steam ID is Unfrgvable):
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197965940913/games/

Also, on Uplay I have Far Cry 3.

On Origin (my Origin ID is Unfrgvable) I have Bulletstorm, Burnout Paradise, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Darkspore, Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, Medal of Honor, Shift 2 Unleashed, Spore, The Saboteur.

Here is the list of four that you should beat:

Alan Wake (if your laptop GPU can handle it)
Jet Set Radio
Torchlight
Batman Arkham Asylum

[quote name='DeliveryPizza']Hey wanna pair up? Here is my steam games (my Steam ID is Unfrgvable):
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197965940913/games/

Also, on Uplay I have Far Cry 3.

On Origin (my Origin ID is Unfrgvable) I have Bulletstorm, Burnout Paradise, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Darkspore, Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, Medal of Honor, Shift 2 Unleashed, Spore, The Saboteur.

Here is the list of four that you should beat:

Alan Wake (if your laptop GPU can handle it)
Jet Set Radio
Torchlight
Batman Arkham Asylum[/QUOTE]

I'll take Torchlight and Jet Set but I should have mentioned I beat Asylum on PS3 way too recently to replay and Alan Wake gave me slow down similar to SR3. Literally everything else should be kosher, sorry.

My choices for you:

Waking Mars (I really enjoyed this game, I need to finish it)
Torchlight (You started it)
Portal
Bioshock (fan-fucking-tastic game)

[quote name='SeymourGams']I'll take Torchlight and Jet Set but I should have mentioned I beat Asylum on PS3 way too recently to replay and Alan Wake gave me slow down similar to SR3. Literally everything else should be kosher, sorry.

My choices for you:

Waking Mars (I really enjoyed this game, I need to finish it)
Torchlight (You started it)
Portal
Bioshock (fan-fucking-tastic game)[/QUOTE]

Okay, then for you my revised list is as follows:
Torchlight
Jet Set Radio
Batman Arkham City (if that's okay with you, not sure if you're burnt out on the gameplay after playing Batman Arkham Asylum so recently)
Darksiders

Also, I've actually already beat Portal. Different account. But I'm stoked for Waking Mars, Bioshock, and Torchlight. So you'll have to suggest another game for me.

So, have DeliveryPizza and SeymourGams officially paired up? I could update the main thread accordingly, as I have done for me :)
Now I'm eager to sink my teeth into Bioshock 2 while I frantically search for my old wired Xbox joypad, buried somewhere under our recent relocation boxes, to play my other 3 games without keyboard controls... :bouncy:

This is awesome. Got my games from Junpei and will start today after work and my interview. I need to stop spending money and buying games so hopefully this can help me avoid that.

I'd love to try doing this, since of all the games I own on Steam, I've only beaten a couple of them haha.

Of course, February is the shortest month >.>

[quote name='Junpei']So, have DeliveryPizza and SeymourGams officially paired up? I could update the main thread accordingly, as I have done for me :)
Now I'm eager to sink my teeth into Bioshock 2 while I frantically search for my old wired Xbox joypad, buried somewhere under our recent relocation boxes, to play my other 3 games without keyboard controls... :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I think we have, but haven't finalized our games. I've already beat Portal, so I'm waiting for him to still suggest my 4th game. And he already beat Batman: AA, and can't play Alan Wake, so I suggested he play Batman: AC and Darksiders instead. But I haven't heard back yet.

[quote name='Echoes']Of course, February is the shortest month >.>[/QUOTE]

Take your time, I don't know if I'll be able to complete my list either, but I'll try my best... plus, we can always repeat the experiment during Mow Down March or Achieving April ;)

[quote name='Junpei']Take your time, I don't know if I'll be able to complete my list either, but I'll try my best... plus, we can always repeat the experiment during Mow Down March or Achieving April ;)[/QUOTE]

Jackpot!

Cool idea.

[quote name='Jugglenaut']I'd love to pair up with someone for this challenge. Here's my backlog and my community profile.[/QUOTE]
Wanna pair up? If so I choose Bioshock 2, Chronicles of Riddick Assault on dark athena, Deadlight, and Dustforce.

My Backlog
Binding of Issac
Cave story +
Dustforce
Skyrim
Freedom Force
Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich
Metro 2033
Psychonauts
X-com
The Witcher 2
Dawn of War 2
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush

Whoa, 10gb download for Bioshock 2, and my missus just launched her iPhone update... time to wake up some Drowsy Puppies, I guess!

Well, heres my backlog of games I haven't given up on yet, if anyone wants to pair up.

Adventures of Shuggy
The Binding of Issac
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Blades of time
Blur
Cave Story +
Chantelise
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
Chime (bout halfway through)
Closure
Company of Heroes
Costume Quest
Cute Things Dying Violently (bout halfway through)
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!
Darksiders
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
Deponia
Dungeon Defenders
Dungeon Siege 3
Dustforce
Future Wars
Grotesque Tactics
Grotesque Tactics 2
Half Minute Hero
Hector Episode 1
Hector Episode 2
Hector Episode 3
Hero Academy
Home
Homefront
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Jamestown
Jet Set Radio
Left 4 Dead
Magical Drop V
Magicka
Mark of the Ninja
Metro 2033
Noitu Love 2 Devolution
Orcs Must Die! 2
Painkiller: Black Edition
The Path
Prince of Persia (2008)
Recettear: An Items Shop’s Tale
Rochard
Saints Row: The Third
Sanctum (bout 40% done)
Shatter
Sleeping Dogs (bout 85% done)
Snapshot
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Generations (bout 75% done)
Space Channel 5 Part 2
Spec Ops: The Line
Swords and Soldiers HD
To The Moon
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Torchlight
Trials 2 Second Edition
Trine
Twin Sector
Unstoppable Gorg
Vessel
War of the Human Tanks
Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine
X-Blades

[quote name='DeliveryPizza']Okay, then for you my revised list is as follows:
Torchlight
Jet Set Radio
Batman Arkham City (if that's okay with you, not sure if you're burnt out on the gameplay after playing Batman Arkham Asylum so recently)
Darksiders

Also, I've actually already beat Portal. Different account. But I'm stoked for Waking Mars, Bioshock, and Torchlight. So you'll have to suggest another game for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm addicted to Torchlight now, I spent most of work last night playing it (thank D-g for slow-season), so fuck you for that firstly. ;)

I'm going to install Darksiders and see how my computer handles it.

Do you mind throwing a less modern or graphic heavy option my way instead of Arkham? I have a pretty good feeling that I will take the time to install it to find out my computer can't handle it.

Does Aliens Vs. Predator work for your new 4th game?

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Cool idea.

Wanna pair up? If so I choose Bioshock 2, Chronicles of Riddick Assault on dark athena, Deadlight, and Dustforce.

My Backlog
Binding of Issac
Cave story +
Dustforce
Skyrim
Freedom Force
Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich
Metro 2033
Psychonauts
X-com
The Witcher 2
Dawn of War 2
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for picking Bioshock 2. I preordered that game and am still nowhere close to beating it. I'm definitely down for the rest of the games, and I'll try to beat both Butcher Bay and Dark Athena in the month, since they're bundled together.

My recommendations for you are Binding of Isaac (I'd say it's beat after you beat the womb's boss, but you can set your own goal), Psychonauts, Gravity Rush (it just looks cool, never played it), and Cave Story+. Hope those work for you.

[quote name='SeymourGams']
I'm going to install Darksiders and see how my computer handles it.
[/QUOTE]

It runs but the lag during videos and the mouse sensitivity killed it for me after 20 minutes... sorry.

I took the time to update the OP even with partials and tweak the layout a little, hope you don't mind MrshllJcb ;)

'grats guys, great choices all around! I love Condemned, my first Xbox 360 game and boy what a great launch title it was! Even though its detective mechanics were all scripted, it gave me a unique feeling and spurred me on to the end, coupled with a tense atmosphere and an original combat system more akin to beat'em ups than shooters.
That fucking section with mannequins... played during a hot summer night while I was home alone, it made me afraid to even go to the bathroom...

And I'm a great Torchlight addict too! I'm glad my gf's a fan too, so I've got a great co-op partner right beside me whenever I want :lol:
Plus, if you like the first, you'll be amazed to see how well the second one runs on your rig, even if it's a 5-6 years old machine... the folks at Runic should hold code optimization classes for developers!

[quote name='Junpei']I took the time to update the OP even with partials and tweak the layout a little, hope you don't mind MrshllJcb ;)

'grats guys, great choices all around! I love Condemned, my first Xbox 360 game and boy what a great launch title it was! Even though its detective mechanics were all scripted, it gave me a unique feeling and spurred me on to the end, coupled with a tense atmosphere and an original combat system more akin to beat'em ups than shooters.
That fucking section with mannequins... played during a hot summer night while I was home alone, it made me afraid to even go to the bathroom...
[/QUOTE]

hahaha YES! Thats one of the best moment ever.

@Junpei, I certainly dont mind, thats why I made it a wiki. I just wanted to get it started and knew that other people could tweak it to make it better, so thanks for editing the pairing to make it look better.

Awesome to see so many people participating. I really like the idea of trying to do this in other months as well. Gonna start Zeno Clash today after work if time affords.

[quote name='SeymourGams']It runs but the lag during videos and the mouse sensitivity killed it for me after 20 minutes... sorry.[/QUOTE]

Okay, so how about Trine and Sonic Adventure DX for your last two games then? And AvP will work for me!

[quote name='DeliveryPizza']Okay, so how about Trine and Sonic Adventure DX for your last two games then? And AvP will work for me![/QUOTE]

Those will do! I have some extra codes laying around, if you beat all your games, I'll throw you one or two.

[quote name='SeymourGams']Those will do! I have some extra codes laying around, if you beat all your games, I'll throw you one or two.[/QUOTE]
Great. I'll try and figure out something for the same for you. Only problem is, it looks like we've bought a lot of the same bundles and such from places like Amazon, so our steam librarys have a lot of crossover. Freaking Tony.

Also, I remembered that I actually have a copy of Bioshock on xbox 360, so I'm going to play it on that instead of Steam. It has achievements :lol:

Just finished Zeno Clash and all I can say is wtf???? Such a bizarre game, but I did enjoy it a lot. Great pick Junpei, I dont know when I would have gotten to that otherwise and it was actually a really quick playthrough. If I manage to beat my other 3 before the month is over I will attempt the challenge towers.

Not sure how to make it so theres a line through the text, but was trying to figure out a way to check off the games we have finished.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Not sure how to make it so theres a line through the text, but was trying to figure out a way to check off the games we have finished.[/QUOTE]

You can use the second icon from the right on the second row, the one next to the SPOILER tag icon: that's the line-through tag, even though it's not clear from its description ;)

I've edited the post as you said, it's a good way to keep track of our progresses. And I'm glad you appreciated Zeno Clash, it's truly something wacky and original in a landscape of copy/paste FPS :D

Just finished Quantum Conundrum last night. Very enjoyable. I kept thinking that it reminded me of Portal, and then lo and behold, I saw Kim Swift in the credits. I hope they make a sequel.

bread's done
Back