* * * * * 3 votes

The Half Price Books Thread

#871 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

Seen today at my neighborhood HPB. I rest my case. Pricing clearly hasn't been updated in years. Anyone wanna pay $30 for a USED copy of Bloodborne? (Pic is right side up in my phone..not sure why it's sideways here).
IMG_3418.JPG

#872 Bob Dole  

Bob Dole

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:49 PM

Seen today at my neighborhood HPB. I rest my case. Pricing clearly hasn't been updated in years. Anyone wanna pay $30 for a USED copy of Bloodborne? (Pic is right side up in my phone..not sure why it's sideways here).
attachicon.gifIMG_3418.JPG

I honestly think sometimes when they take trades they look up items on ebay and price them on the last going Ebay sold listing and never update the price from there.

#873 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   11342 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:53 PM

Yeah my stores pricing have always been all over the place on games. I have snagged some newer Switch/PS4 stuff for $25-$30 (Like Pokken and The World Ends with You) and see shovelware sitting at less than $5 off what its release MSRP was.

Trade in pricing is stupid as well. Got offered a bunch for a ton of super old niche strategy guides that werent even worth much, got offered pennies on Amiibos, newer accessories, and some current gen games.

#874 Jurai  

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:52 PM

For anyone who didnt get the coupons

https://i.imgur.com/KvDcw9R.png

#875 jaide   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   325 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:37 AM

Wish I'd known that I could place holds on items. Went back to a store looking for the original xbox they had and it was gone. I also just bought a record a week ago that I could have waited to buy with a coupon.

#876 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   3991 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:30 PM

I don't have any HPB around me and have never dealt with them. Sounds like they are worse than Gamestop.

#877 BudzMcGee   GalaxyofGeek.com CAGiversary!   3700 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:30 PM

Between coupons, 3 stores and some clearance crossed off 10 more N64 games from my list for like $25.

#878 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:38 PM

I don't have any HPB around me and have never dealt with them. Sounds like they are worse than Gamestop.

They definitely can be it just depends on the location as for some reason they seem like they can vary quite a bit. For example in 1 store I saw Darkstalkers 3 and Legend of Zelda Collectors edition for $20 each while another location had Rampage through time for $75.

#879 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   11342 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

Didnt even try today, went last night and the stores were crowded as hell and the cashiers were taking forever to check people out. Was mostly picked over, and the best thing I could find was a Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls art book for $16 (I think its out of print, so I can't complain)

#880 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   981 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:42 PM

I saw a bunch of Xbox 360 wireless controllers on clearance for $3. I thought about buying them all and trade into GameStop, but I have a feeling they would all have issues and get refurb fees or just be rejected outright.

#881 jaide   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   325 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:43 PM

If you're looking to sell or shop for games I can imagine a lot of them being worse.

Didnt even try today, went last night and the stores were crowded as hell and the cashiers were taking forever to check people out. Was mostly picked over, and the best thing I could find was a Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls art book for $16 (I think its out of print, so I can't complain)

I went less than an hour before closing and it was pretty packed with lines at the register, but they moved pretty quickly. Managed to find a brand new out of print record that I haven't seen for sale anywhere. Going to go back to see if the new Raconteurs record is still there.

#882 Jurai  

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:47 AM

These were my 2 buys for the week, didnt' really go by til today and yesterday

hpb.jpg

#883 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14305 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:16 PM

I remember when Bone came out originally. Out of the very few series I ever picked up as a kid, I picked quite the winner with that one. I really should get back into it and see how things panned out after I grew out of comics for a long time.