Massive 6000+ piece collection of systems and games only $550,000

uncle5555

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I'm surprised no one posted this yet. A collector in Italy is clearing out his entire collection from the last 30 years, and this one is one of the most comprehensive I've ever seen before, even larger than the one in France (I believe it was) from last year, I didn't think I'd see something like that again.

He ran out of room and time to enjoy the collection and took it to Ebay to sell, and is asking $500,000 (plus shipping) for it, here's the listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OVER-30-years-of-VIDEOGAMES-COLLECTION-The-history-of-VideoGames-/121064017825?

PDF listing of everything he owns
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/82114262/Game%20PDF.pdf

He's got pretty much every LE system or variant ever made from the last few generations, plus things I wouldn't admit I'd own (N-gage, seriously) and some cool and very rare items as well.

Here's portion of his collection that isn't on the Ebay listing.
http://imageshack.us/user/videogamesmuseum

Some highlights:

The auction includes:

• Over 6850 games, with about 6780 boxed and 70 loose, and are in various format NTSC Japan or USA and also PAL.
  • Over 330 consoles, with 307 system boxed and 24 loose, and even in this case we have all the different standards.
  • About 220 controller with 167 boxed and 52 loose. I included all the kind of controller, from the simple joypad to the special controller like all the Konami Bemani to the Densha De Go train controller, and the arcade joystick as well.
  • About 185 accessories, and in this category I put the ac adapters, the various av cables, the rumble packs, the memory cards, battery packs, the converters for the region locked games, and various other items like screens, printers etc.
  • The promo and various items are composed by promotional items like soudtracks or gadgets relate to a specific game or console, demo disc not for sale, limited edition item like the resident evil umbrella box or the Kratos twin blades, various action figures, strategy guides etc.etc.

From what I saw when briefly looking, he's got from pre-Atari 2600 thru PS3/360 in the collection. Most of the collection are complete games with box and manual (he's even got a complete Mother collection including an Earthbound Zero repro cart, I point this out because many people have been focusing on those items)

I have a modest collection compared to this guy, (but large compared to most normal people. :lol: ) I kinda feel sorry for him though collecting all that stuff and not getting to enjoy any of that, defeats the purpose though.

Anyway thought I'd share this since it seems many had not seen it. I'd bet shipping is gonna be killer though.

Best quote: It took him two months, 8 hours a day to take over 10,000 pictures and to get a decent idea (catalog) what he had so he could list it in the auction....wow, that's just insane.

News stories on listing:

http://www.google.com/search?q=mass...56,d.dmQ&fp=2ce83bf72f81ad66&biw=1201&bih=527

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did the math from the bullet points not including "The promo and various items....." came up to 7585 items and ends up being about 72.51 USD per an item. I see it was relisted and now has a bid but I don't see anyone paying that much per an item in bulk even for a collection as nice this.

The other thing I always wonder about any auction that goes for so much money is that if somebody were to bid and pay and get burned on something like this wouldn't the buyer only be covered for so much and in this case get less then 1% of his money back? Assuming they ain't local and will be paying with paypal and have everything shipped.

[quote name='blindinglights']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337876[/QUOTE]

Why in the bragging rights section...makes more sense to be in the old school section...anyway.

My OP is more informative. ;) :lol:

[quote name='FOnewearl']I just did the math from the bullet points not including "The promo and various items....." came up to 7585 items and ends up being about 72.51 USD per an item. I see it was relisted and now has a bid but I don't see anyone paying that much per an item in bulk even for a collection as nice this.

The other thing I always wonder about any auction that goes for so much money is that if somebody were to bid and pay and get burned on something like this wouldn't the buyer only be covered for so much and in this case get less then 1% of his money back? Assuming they ain't local and will be paying with paypal and have everything shipped.[/QUOTE]

Better question is why he re-listed it 3 times so far? (I updated my link to the newest auction, which was changed when he stopped the first auction...)

I keep reading comments about the price, thing is though that French collector last year on Ebay had a collection similar in size (but with less variety), and got $1.2 million for it. So $550,000 is a bargain compared to what that one went for.

And I keep reading your last comment a lot too, thing is he said it'll take 1 month to pack and ship the stuff, so I think that is plenty of time for the "check to clear" as it were and the seller to make sure he's going to get paid, it's not like he's got the stuff packed up and ready to ship right after the auction is done.

And considering some of the stuff is worth more than $70 per item, I think it evens out quite nicely. If someone wanted to get a significant portion of their money back by splitting some of it up I'm sure they could depends how much rare and unique items he has in the collection. (he's got way too many PS2's though :lol: )

Be curious what it finally ends up selling at.

Looks like he pulled the auction, mainly because he wasn't getting the money he hoped for (big surprise there). Still shocked to see this one not do as well as that French sale last year, with about the same amount of things but he sold it for over a million, like I mentioned before.

ive never actually seen a psx desr 7000 before looking at tht page anyone know how rare tht console is? nvm aparently u can buy some on amazon jp for around 77 pounds tho i reckon shipping pric wld kill

[quote name='uncle5555']Thx, never followed up past seeing that it ended, guess a lesson to collectors trying to cash in on massive collections, don't expect to retire early with that gold mine of silicon and plastic your sitting on, huh?[/QUOTE]

These auction sure do get a lot of attention but you never can be too sure of how serious these gamers are about getting rid of the collection. They should at the least bit be willing to split everything up by system in better hopes of moving stuff.

[quote name='FOnewearl']These auction sure do get a lot of attention but you never can be too sure of how serious these gamers are about getting rid of the collection. They should at the least bit be willing to split everything up by system in better hopes of moving stuff.[/QUOTE]

Which would make sense, but some just want to offload everything, and be done with it since that much stuff would be a beast to offload bit by bit.

Just like this last auction, he spent a month cataloging and taking photos of everything, that was insane.

Plus there is the argument does it sell better whole or in pieces? Where would they make the most money off of it? I know some pieces collectors would make a fuss over it, but how many would be jumping at Atari 2600 stuff or a Vectrex for that matter? I'd argue, not that many, so it would make sense to sell complete, but then again how many collectors have $500k to put down on a collection like that, most normal people have higher priorities in their lives. ;)

^^^ I like how you aren't allowed to pick it up, only have it shipped. WTF?!

[quote name='uncle5555']Why in the bragging rights section...makes more sense to be in the old school section...anyway.
[/QUOTE]

Prolly because the seller is obviously listing the collection for bragging purposes ;) LOL!

[quote name='FOnewearl']http://www.gamegavel.com/item.cgi?show_item=0000729167[/QUOTE]

Whaaaa?

Location.....Centreville, VA

videogamesmuseum Located in Milan, Italy

So which is it, Virginia or Italy?

He'll save more on auction costs, but not enough traffic there (sorry SoCalMike, but it's true)

Yeah time for the seller to start looking into piece mealing the collection if he's going to actually start off loading it sometime this century or he's willing to take a massive low ball bid just to get rid of it.
Centreville, VA
Centreville, VA

bread's done
Back