Community

ClydeShebang

CAGiversary!
Does anyone round here watch this show? Well after nearly a year season 4 just started a few days ago and I think it was pretty decent.

I'm guessing there's a fairly good sized fanbase around here. I love it. Had some minor qualms with the new season, but my biggest problem is with the Troy/Britta relationship. It feels kind of forced.

I quite like the Troy/Britta thing, now that Britta has loosened up she makes a better match with Troy than Jeff. If it was season 1 Britta that would be another story. I don't thing it's really forced in the sense that during season 2 and early 3 we know Troy has feelings for Britta. Currently going by everyones characters, I'd rather these 2 be together than anyone else.

I too like the Troy/Britta thing, though I'm as worried as Shirley for caution. If she gets that boy hooked on drugs... Oh boy.

I was worried about Abed for a while there, especially the progress made in the past three seasons, all to be done away by making him retreat into his imagination. One good thing about it was that Fred Willard does make a better Pierce.

I don't know, I just don't like it. Britta doesn't honestly feel like she has grown too much as a character to me. Telling Abed to retreat to a happy place just felt like one of those huge mistakes that season 1 Britta would have made and I really just don't feel like her and Troy mesh well together. It feels like a case of make one more popular character hang out with one of the least popular characters in an attempt to get people to like them more.

I never liked Jeff/Britta either. I think he meshes best with Annie.

Bought all 3 seasons during Black Friday. Heard it was a good show. So glad I did. My fav episode is the history style documentary on the pillow fight and the paintball wars. I really like it. Hope it stays around for a while

too me it's feels like troy and britta have no chemistry but then again it's only the 1st episode of the 4th season. hopefully it gets more interesting since it feels like they both have conflicting personalities

I felt like they were veering into generic joke territory in this episode and trying a bit too hard. I had completely forgot about the creative changes made behind the scenes and once I got to the Muppet Baby parody I paused and it hit me what might have changed. There were still good bits, but nothing overly exceptional. Maybe the multi-camera sitcom parody bits threw me off and next week will hit better though.
I can't stand multi-camera sitcom styles, so I hope that is the cause of me not loving it.

Yeah, this episode was a bit odd. I actually thought the entire episode was supposed to be in Abed's mind. At the very beginning Britta told him to go into his happy place, they were right about to go to class, then Abed said one more time to wait a second and retreated to his happy place. So, I thought the rest of it was supposed to be a dream, but I guess after the initial "Sitcom" dream he snapped back and the rest was supposed to be real.

Althought, it wouldn't surprise me if they say the entire season was a dream.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I don't know, I just don't like it. Britta doesn't honestly feel like she has grown too much as a character to me. Telling Abed to retreat to a happy place just felt like one of those huge mistakes that season 1 Britta would have made and I really just don't feel like her and Troy mesh well together. It feels like a case of make one more popular character hang out with one of the least popular characters in an attempt to get people to like them more.

I never liked Jeff/Britta either. I think he meshes best with Annie.[/QUOTE]

I think Annie meshes best with
britta

You can tell they're really trying to stick with the themes that Harmon established. For the most part, I think they did all right. I'll wait on judging the new showrunners until we see a few episodes.

Well I quite liked it, I'm one of those that thinks even a bad episode by Community standards is still entertaining anyway.

On the episode where Shirley has her baby and Abed mentions he's delivered in a van earlier in the year, did you know we can actually see him deliver it. I only realised this recently.

[quote name='ClydeShebang']Well I quite liked it, I'm one of those that thinks even a bad episode by Community standards is still entertaining anyway.

On the episode where Shirley has her baby and Abed mentions he's delivered in a van earlier in the year, did you know we can actually see him deliver it. I only realised this recently.[/QUOTE]
I agree. By my standards there hasn't ever been a bad episode of Community. Even the less than perfect ones are great. And yep! I noticed! I actually noticed the first time I watched the episode and I was waiting to see if they'd bring it up.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I agree. By my standards there hasn't ever been a bad episode of Community. Even the less than perfect ones are great. And yep! I noticed! I actually noticed the first time I watched the episode and I was waiting to see if they'd bring it up.[/QUOTE]

I feel like a fool lol. Though I did catch one joke where in the shuttle episode Pierce is having a rant at Colonel Sanders to get off his mom and when you see his dad, who does he look and sound like lol.

Plus I don't know what Daybreak is but the theme thing is sooooooo funny --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09InPHAKJko

I thought the new episode was terrible except for the very end. I really hope it picks up because this has been my favorite comedy for a while.

new episode on tonight, won't get to watch it till tomorrow when it's online. Hope this ones better, looks good I've enjoyed all the Halloween ones so far.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']My faith that this show is not going down the shitter was not restored tonight.[/QUOTE]

Heard from a few other fans it was funnier than last weeks and I did quite enjoy that one.
Btw your avatar from Eastbound and Down right?

I too enjoyed this episode, and I guess people didn't like it was because of Jeff's incessant complaining and that it was about Pierce. Can't deny I awwwwed at the ending when Pierce and Giancarlo Esposito hugged.

Loved that bit where Shirley heavily implied that Britta was a whoo-ah to Troy, who acts even more naive than Annie.

I didn't care for the last episode of Community.

I have grave concerns this is going to be the weakest season of all. But either way, it's all right because we got three seasons of a television show, that by design, shouldn't have lasted more than a season. Thank you NBC for being a complete failure for ratings overall and allowing this to happen.

I am in the minority, but this was the first episode of this season that I liked. I l liked it a lot. First episode all season I laughed at, and it made me laugh several times.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I am in the minority, but this was the first episode of this season that I liked. I l liked it a lot. First episode all season I laughed at, and it made me laugh several times.[/QUOTE]
Same, actually. The Halloween episode was okay, but this knocked it out of the park for me.

I think I laughed so hard at what Jeff say's about if his hair is falling then someone should call science. I agree so far it's the weakest start to the season out of the 4 but it's still enjoyable that I can look forward to the next episode, unlike How I Met Your Mother.

So... you people already forget how much of a mess season 3 was, that you think NOW is when the show is getting bad? Harmon was dropped for a reason.

Season 3 had some of the most inventive and funny episodes but also had what I would consider some of the more 'bad' episodes but like I said for me even a bad episode of community is better than the average episode of most comedies.

But I'm more than likely a blind fanboy. The one thing I've really disliked about season 4 so far is the drastic under use of Pierce, love that guy so funny.

[quote name='ClydeShebang']Season 3 had some of the most inventive and funny episodes but also had what I would consider some of the more 'bad' episodes but like I said for me even a bad episode of community is better than the average episode of most comedies.

But I'm more than likely a blind fanboy. The one thing I've really disliked about season 4 so far is the drastic under use of Pierce, love that guy so funny.[/QUOTE]

I think the show's producers are pacing the show for his eventual departure. I remember reading somewhere that Chevy is planning on leaving the show soon.

Also I wasn't a big fan of Abed's Imaginarium episodes, which Season 3 had a lot of from what I can remember.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']I think the show's producers are pacing the show for his eventual departure. I remember reading somewhere that Chevy is planning on leaving the show soon.

Also I wasn't a big fan of Abed's Imaginarium episodes, which Season 3 had a lot of from what I can remember.[/QUOTE]

He is in every episode. They had already filmed most of the episodes by the time he left.

[quote name='humancondition']Bought all 3 seasons during Black Friday. Heard it was a good show. So glad I did. My fav episode is the history style documentary on the pillow fight and the paintball wars. I really like it. Hope it stays around for a while[/QUOTE]
"Leonard likes this post."

Last night's episode's rating was the lowest in the show's history.

On another note, that scene from the Thanksgiving episode where Jeff was telling about his appendectomy scar nearly killed me with sadness. That was rough. I didn't know Joel McHale had that kind of performance in him.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Last night's episode's rating was the lowest in the show's history. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, even repeats of Shark Tank got better ratings than it. Definitely not a good sign on a chance of it being renewed. To be honest, I'm wondering why they brought the Chang character back. That has probably been the really weak point in this season and it did them no help having last night's episode devoted to him.

It kinda showed last night why Chevy Chase was pissed about his character being so racist. When he had hand puppets of a black guy & his asian wife.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Last night's episode's rating was the lowest in the show's history.
[/QUOTE]

Season 4 has done a great job of making me feel ok with the show being canceled for good, so there's that I guess

To be completely honest back when Joel started hyping this show on The Soup I thought it sounded terrible and would last like a month so hey it was least fun for a while

It's officially coming back for a fifth season. I've still got the last two episodes of this season to watch, but I can safely say this has definitely been the worst season in my opinion. I'll still watch next year no matter what, but I hope the quality is closer to the first three seasons.

I need to watch the finale, but I agree with harry that they need to step it up. They need to stop with the paint by numbers shit, and move the series forward. Literally the only good episode was the Sophie B. Hawkins one.

The season finale was probably one of the worst episodes from this season. Hopefully they get their shit together for season 5.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']It's officially coming back for a fifth season. I've still got the last two episodes of this season to watch, but I can safely say this has definitely been the worst season in my opinion. I'll still watch next year no matter what, but I hope the quality is closer to the first three seasons.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I need to watch the finale, but I agree with harry that they need to step it up. They need to stop with the paint by numbers shit, and move the series forward. Literally the only good episode was the Sophie B. Hawkins one.[/QUOTE]

I agree with both of these statements. Honestly, though, I feel like NBC has generally been shitting on this show since its debut. Parks and Recreation gets similar treatment (though not to the same extent). NBC was just blessed with 4 very good comedies around the same time...and as The Office and 30 Rock started to grow a little long in the tooth, P&R and Community were just hitting their stride.

I don't think people fully appreciated the two newer comedies because they were so heavily invested in the older two (I know I didn't start watching either until about a year ago...though I've been tired of The Office basically since Steve Carrell left). But with The Office and 30 Rock leaving the network, I thought it would be insane of them to axe P&R and Community as well.

Both shows deserve a legitimate shot of standing on their own and being the premier comedies for Thursday night. I'm just hopeful that with committed seasons, both crews will put in the time to write some really hilarious episodes, because they're both definitely capable of it. This season just felt mailed in because they didn't expect to get renewed anyway.

Well, I guess with that season finale(which felt like a series finale), I guess they found their way to write out Chevy Chase's character. Also they gave a way to excuse Joel Mchale's character not showing up in the whole 5th season. Not sure what they did with Chang, but seems like they wrote him out too.

This new season already seems like it's going to suck and is just an excuse to bump to the episode count for syndication.

It was obviously the worst season if community but not bad by general tv standards to me so I enjoyed it. There were some weak episodes that lacked humor but they did a decent job at telling the stories even if they felt crammed and rushed.

Compared.to the big bang theory, which I also watch, I liked this season but that's my opinion. I can understand why most didn't like it but to me it was still entertaining.

I also enjoyed it, but I guess sometimes having a smaller set of episodes doesn't mean you'll be able to write better more concentrated ones. I really like the Dean Spreck character, but I guess time constraints won't let us explore his relationship with Dean Pelton, and why they really hate/love each other so, maybe next year.

Considering next season is only going to be 13 episodes as well, the writers and producers will probably find a way to fit Joel McHale in most if not all of the episodes. I won't really miss Chevy Chase, since he was an asshole, despite all those years that should've humbled him more. They should bring back Fred Willard.

Chewbacca Barnes... Ha. What's really cool is that actual actor for our favorite Wookie was actually born in Barnes, London!

I just read that Harmon might come back. If that happens, they should pull a who shot JR and make this past season a terrible nightmare.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I just read that Harmon might come back. If that happens, they should pull a who shot JR and make this past season a terrible nightmare.[/QUOTE]

Not really, I understand if you didn't like it humour wise but I think the characters have progressed decent enough, well except for Annie.

Also where did you hear about Harmons return?

[quote name='ClydeShebang']Not really, I understand if you didn't like it humour wise but I think the characters have progressed decent enough, well except for Annie.

Also where did you hear about Harmons return?[/QUOTE]

http://m.deadline.com/2013/05/community-is-coming-back-will-dan-harmon-return-too/

This isn't a show where I care about character development. I just want laughs, and they were few and far between this season. I want everyone to maintain the roles they had.Development can stagnate as long as the episodes are good.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I agree with both of these statements. Honestly, though, I feel like NBC has generally been shitting on this show since its debut. Parks and Recreation gets similar treatment (though not to the same extent). NBC was just blessed with 4 very good comedies around the same time...and as The Office and 30 Rock started to grow a little long in the tooth, P&R and Community were just hitting their stride.

I don't think people fully appreciated the two newer comedies because they were so heavily invested in the older two (I know I didn't start watching either until about a year ago...though I've been tired of The Office basically since Steve Carrell left). But with The Office and 30 Rock leaving the network, I thought it would be insane of them to axe P&R and Community as well.

Both shows deserve a legitimate shot of standing on their own and being the premier comedies for Thursday night. I'm just hopeful that with committed seasons, both crews will put in the time to write some really hilarious episodes, because they're both definitely capable of it. This season just felt mailed in because they didn't expect to get renewed anyway.[/QUOTE]
Community was destined to fail. It's first season, it was pitted against Survivor and Bones (both popular series at that point). In its second season CBS move Big Bang Theory into its same timeslot (which pretty much solified its tv ratings downfall). No one was going to run off their favorite established series (in their heights) to give an unknown show credit. Again, it was destined to fail.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Who watches a sitcom and says "It wasn't funny at all, but there was character development, so it was pretty good"?[/QUOTE]

Apparently I do...

bread's done
Back