Tell me again about how there's no voter fraud....

Shorter GOP: we need to spend millions to ensure that people can't vote. but we don't need background checks for firearms purchases.

shorter-shorter GOP: I'm constitutional when it suits me.

EDIT: oooh, Clyde Gray and Carol Williams! Cincinnati represent! (I haven't lived there for 5+ years now, but those two were the anchors way back when).

EDIT2: So, how would, say, voter ID laws have stopped this from happening?

EDIT3: Would you say that her fears of absentee ballots not arriving in time are unfounded or unreasonable - or, alternately, that her "double vote" rationale is at least plausible? (I know you'll say "no," but that's because it suits your ideology to deny that.)

...broadly speaking, nobody argues that voter fraud doesn't occur; lots argue that *in-person* voter fraud is massively unlikely. And guess what? This is not in-person voter fraud. Try again.

A: How would IDs have prevented this situation? The second ballot she submitted was an absentee ballot? Are we proposing eliminating those as well?

B: She got caught and it's a felony if she is convicted. This shows that not only does the review board actually catch voter fraud but that there is already deterrence in place already.

C: Since guns are a hot topic right now, why does the same party that supports making voting as difficult as possible for certain groups of people also want to make it as easy as possible to buy guns?

The last one is just for fun but something tells me it'll get the most rise out of people.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']C: Since guns are a hot topic right now, why does the same party that supports making voting as difficult as possible for certain groups of people also want to make it as easy as possible to buy guns?[/QUOTE]

We know that the Republicans are hypocritical assholes. And many of them are just downright stupid. (Of course, just as many of the Democrats are too.) We don't really need to be reminded of that fact. Can't we talk about any issue just in and of itself without associating it with a political party?

Also, I agree that voter fraud is not a big issue. Yes, it happens, but what are you going to do? Spend a billion dollars to prevent 1,000 bad votes? If anybody ever wins by fewer than 1,000 votes, we'll talk.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Can't we talk about any issue just in and of itself without associating it with a political party?[/QUOTE]

To talk about voter fraud or voter suppression tactics and pretend that it's not motivated by one party is to distort the reality of the situation - that is, to wish to be woefully ignorant.

[quote name='Access_Denied']We know that the Republicans are hypocritical assholes. And many of them are just downright stupid. (Of course, just as many of the Democrats are too.) We don't really need to be reminded of that fact. Can't we talk about any issue just in and of itself without associating it with a political party?

Also, I agree that voter fraud is not a big issue. Yes, it happens, but what are you going to do? Spend a billion dollars to prevent 1,000 bad votes? If anybody ever wins by fewer than 1,000 votes, we'll talk.[/QUOTE]
Individual voter fraud isn't an issue because like you mentioned, it's too small to make a difference. Systematic voter fraud can certainly swing elections though. The problem is that the most commonly proposed solution is requiring an ID which will do almost nothing to affect systematic voter fraud, except of course to disenfranchise poor and elderly voters...

The short version is don't fix what ain't broken.

Yeah this is the real vote fraud, not making it difficult for people to vote at all or gerrymandering their vote so it doesn't matter whether they cast a ballot or not

[quote name='mykevermin']To talk about voter fraud or voter suppression tactics and pretend that it's not motivated by one party is to distort the reality of the situation - that is, to wish to be woefully ignorant.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see you throw a little guilt towards the Democrats!:applause:

Hehhehhehehehee......

There's no substantial statistics to back up the the idea that individual, in-person voter fraud is an actual issue that effects the outcome of our political races. Therefore, it'd be silly to make a lot of new rules and regulations to try fixing a system that isn't broke.
Likewise, there's no substantial statistics to back up some of the ideas that some folks seem to come up with regarding gun control. But, we still need all kinds of new rules and regulations, because, you know, the kids.

bread's done
Back