CAGcast #314: Eyes Up, Balls Down

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Cheapy goes to Osaka, Wombat gets rejected, and Shipwreck plays Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]224[/podcast]
Download (1 hour 19 minutes) - Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Harlem Shake / GI Joe PSA

Space Station Osaka

[quote name='bickle']Show Notes

2:00 Disneyworld & Universal Studios - Japan & U.S.
7:45 Osaka videogame themed bar
10:15 Show feedback
10:30 - Rayman delay
12:45 - Publisher profits on sales
14:30 - Bing on Xbox
15:30 - Momentum
20:45 Watch this: Queen of Versailles
23:45 - Hotel Transylvania
27:15 New Releases - Aliens: Colonial Marines
36:45 - Cheapy buys some horrible Rock Band music and loves it
37:15 - Ecolibrium
39:15 Wombat goes to an EA event, plays Fuse. Army of 2, NFS Most Wanted DLC, TMI Trivia, Crysis (3?)
52:45 Demos can hurt sales
54:30 Backwards compatbility dead?
56:45 Used games in next gen
57:30 Valve lays off 25 people
58:15 Ni No Kuni
1:01:00 Skyrim Dawnguard DLC
1:04:00 Sony Press conference expectations
1:04:30 Last of Us delayed to right after E3
1:08:30 Last Guardian is still in dev
1:09:15 Cagbag - Valentines
1:11:15 - Used games
1:11:30 - Cag preorders of Ouya. Last XBLA game bought?
1:12:30 - Consoles turning into pc's?
1:13:15 - Xbox gold subs
1:13:45 - Top Analyst: Vita prediction, E3 predictions?
1:15:00 - Wombat's iphone game?
1:16:15 - Culture shock[/QUOTE]

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any chance that some "De-essing" could be done on Shipwreck's audio? Every week I wince in pain as his S's pierce my ears. I can't be the only one who hears this??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De-essing

(Note that I listen to ~25 podcasts every week and this problem is, for some reason, unique to Shipwreck)

Otherwise another great show.

[quote name='Desecron']Is there any chance that some "De-essing" could be done on Shipwreck's audio? Every week I wince in pain as his S's pierce my ears. I can't be the only one who hears this??

(Note that I listen to ~25 podcasts every week and this problem is, for some reason, unique to Shipwreck)

Otherwise another great show.[/QUOTE]

That's the way I talk.

The subject of The Queen of Versailles, David Siegel, is a total scumbag. He was the guy that threatened mass firings at his company if President Obama was re-elected.

Is Gearbox really one of Shipwreck's favorite developers? After playing Aliens CM, I feel like the Borderlands games were a fluke. The last Brothers In Arms game wasn't bad, but because of the weird control scheme I wouldn't classify it higher than "interesting". The also inflicted us with Duke Nukem Forever, rather than just buying the character and tucking that game away where it couldn't hurt anyone.

So, Ship, did you really mean Gearbox is one of your favorite developers, when you consider all they've put out? Or do you mean they're the developers of one of your favorite games? Then again, I suppose being in your top 100 developers could still be considered a favorite.

(To be fair, the new Aliens game isn't horrible, it just really really misses the mark. The animation is stiff, reactions are sluggish, the AI teammate are a hindrance, health system is antiquated... blah blah blah... The worst thing about the game is that it's not better than the Aliens Vs Predator game from three years ago.)

[quote name='shipwreck']That's the way I talk.[/QUOTE]

Hi Shipwreck, sorry I hope I didn't come across as implying that YOU'RE a problem, I don't think it's simply the way you talk, but your esses, going through your mic*, and not being de-essed in post production, are a problem in my case :(

(*could also be the problem)

Anyone else have that problem or am I just going to come across like a jackass here?

I can't say I've noticed it before.

Cheapy saying "waiting on line" instead of "waiting in line" to describe standing in a line of people, now that's noticeable. I know it's a NY thing, but given what the term online has meant for the last 20 years, it sounds kind of bizarre.

Backwards compatibility
Lost Oddysey, by Mistwalker, is my favorite Japanese RPG. I sold my Wii just before they were worthless as a trade-in so I lost the chance to play The Last Story & Skysword; no problem, when the WiiU comes out the games'll be cheaper & I can play them since I wouldn't ever buy another Wii, right? Yes I can play them but bad news after bad news about Nintendo's release calendar shows me that I should take my time since the older games are the only ones worth playing.
I have no interest in Pikmin, Smash Brothers, Monkeyballs, I want old-school responsible planning. Why not 1 1st party RPG (Sega exclusive Shining game would've been daring & most likely a huge seller if Reggie's boys had any insight or tangible plan that old formulas in marketing do work), 1-2 action/adventure games (Kid Icarus WiiU or another throwback from the stable is really that difficult to invest in?) & a 1st part sports game (Mario Kart counts, Nintendo non-simulation style). I just don't get how people keep their jobs authorizing such a mess, when games aren't ready, or even in development & there is nothing I'm interested in for a year. Windwaker will be a pity-purchase, to somehow validate my stupidest decision since agreeing with my brother to go halves on a 3DO. Lucien's Quest in tha' house!
Hilarious podcast btw.

I didn't know where to post for next weeks questions/comments so forgive the double post.

The Wii U is backwards with the Wii and ALL virtual console games I believe.
The 3DS can download DS/DSI ware from previous systems.
The Vita while unable to play PSP disc format games plays ALL PSP downloads.

I don't see why the next xbox can't be fully backwards given it has a similiar system style that the 360 will have (given rumors are true).

However, I can see the PS4 not being able to play PS3 games because of "the cell". If anything the PS4 will have problems, but that's not to say Sony won't work on making it backwards but I doubt they will because of financial constraints. Don't forget Sony removed the ability to play PS2 games on the PS3 after some time due to financial constraints.

Hey Wombat, if that were me behind you in line at the show, I would've spoken up for you!

Also, I was surprised to see that even 100 CAGs preordered the Ouya, considering their statement about making a new iteration every year.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']The Wii U is backwards with the Wii and ALL virtual console games I believe.
The 3DS can download DS/DSI ware from previous systems.
The Vita while unable to play PSP disc format games plays ALL PSP downloads.

I don't see why the next xbox can't be fully backwards given it has a similiar system style that the 360 will have (given rumors are true).[/QUOTE]

The rumours are that the the next Xbox will use x86 processors from AMD, while the Xenon CPU in the 360 is PowerPC. For the next Xbox to be backwards compatible they would have to include the 360 SoC, which would be prohibitively expensive.

[quote name='shipwreck']
[quote name='Desecron']Is there any chance that some "De-essing" could be done on Shipwreck's audio? Every week I wince in pain as his S's pierce my ears. I can't be the only one who hears this??

That's the way I talk.[/QUOTE]

If Shipwreck really stresses his S'es then maybe he really *is* Cobra Commander!

After all, the part (at 11min 45sec) where Shipwreck "confronts" Cobra Commander turned out to be fake:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6dISO-kgP8#t=11m45s

I don't know if mainland Chinese have "no manners", they just have a different set of manners from other parts of the world.

I've been all over China, and things aren't organized for efficiency. They have no concept of a line. So if there's a booth that's selling tickets, whoever pushes to the front, is the one who gets to buy the tickets. That's just the way things are.

I noticed the authorities are trying to change things, but its going to take a generation or two to change people's mindsets.

Does it really bother you that much? Besides, Cheapy does most of the talking.

I know Wombat pushed for more Top Analyst. I hope you guys follow through on that, it was one of my favorite segments. I for one expect that The Last of Us will easily sell 1 million copies, but that's because no one set a time-limit for it. If Wombat capped it to the 2nd quarter of 2013 I'd pass.

I also hope that Shipwreck isn't getting the reputation as a great regular season coach that can't win the big game. It has been two years in a row that his team made it to the finals and came up short.

Great show.

I also grew up with an arcade called The Space Station. This was in Anchorage, Alaska. Guess the name got around.

Show Notes

2:00 Disneyworld & Universal Studios - Japan & U.S.
7:45 Osaka videogame themed bar
10:15 Show feedback
10:30 - Rayman delay
12:45 - Publisher profits on sales
14:30 - Bing on Xbox
15:30 - Momentum
20:45 Watch this: Queen of Versailles
23:45 - Hotel Transylvania
27:15 New Releases - Aliens: Colonial Marines
36:45 - Cheapy buys some horrible Rock Band music and loves it
37:15 - Ecolibrium
39:15 Wombat goes to an EA event, plays Fuse. Army of 2, NFS Most Wanted DLC, TMI Trivia, Crysis (3?)
52:45 Demos can hurt sales
54:30 Backwards compatbility dead?
56:45 Used games in next gen
57:30 Valve lays off 25 people
58:15 Ni No Kuni
1:01:00 Skyrim Dawnguard DLC
1:04:00 Sony Press conference expectations
1:04:30 Last of Us delayed to right after E3
1:08:30 Last Guardian is still in dev
1:09:15 Cagbag - Valentines
1:11:15 - Used games
1:11:30 - Cag preorders of Ouya. Last XBLA game bought?
1:12:30 - Consoles turning into pc's?
1:13:15 - Xbox gold subs
1:13:45 - Top Analyst: Vita prediction, E3 predictions?
1:15:00 - Wombat's iphone game?
1:16:15 - Culture shock

[quote name='meager']Is Gearbox really one of Shipwreck's favorite developers? After playing Aliens CM, I feel like the Borderlands games were a fluke. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, they've always been somewhat mediocre in my opinion. A bad Half-Life expansion, a bunch of ports, some bad games, and then there is Borderlands. Proof that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Not surprised you guys aren't invited to re/preview events.You guys don't do previews and rarely do reviews.You shouldn't take it to hard Wombat.

I tried to Twitter Cheapy about what device he uses to stream his PC to his TV. Can anyone remember if he ever mentioned which one he choose or can recommend a good one?

Just saw the picture of Wombat and Hip Hop Gamer and the rumors of worst hat hair ever are true. But wearing the WWE title certainly draws the eyes elsewhere, so there's that.

I for one don't expect the next generation consoles to be BC. To me if the next consoles want to truly be next generation, they need to move on from all current generation ties. True that the 360 and PS3 were both originally backward compatible with the Xbox and PS2 respectively but I'd rather have no backward compatibility than the confusion of some titles working and others not.

If the Top Analyst segment is coming back to the show (and it should), I'd be curious to hear how you think Lego City Undercover is going to do since it's the next big Wii-U release and it's coming out after a long lull on the Wii-U.

CheapyD mentioned the excited fan that he met at E3 a few years back at the Nintendo 3DS booth. That was me!

As soon as I heard that model say cheapassgamer and saw a redhead and bald tall guy standing next to me, I knew it was Cheapy and Shipwreck.

One of the best/awkward E3 moments ever. Got a cool picture with them, too.

Just a clarification, by "the two Tales of releases," I was referring to the PS3 versions of Tales of Vesperia (Japan-only) and Tales of Graces.

Didn't Wombat work with Russ Frushtick briefly at UGO when he was doing the Games Blog? If I'm remembering that correctly it makes the whole thing quite a bit worse, even if he couldn't help Wombat get in at least say hello.

Anyway great show this week guys, you had me laughing out loud on the bus a few times this morning.

When did Shipwreck become so gloomy? I've noticed a downturn over time, but he's sounded especially jaded and wet blankety these last few episodes. Kind of a drag to listen to. May be time for a short vacation from gaming!

[quote name='meager']Is Gearbox really one of Shipwreck's favorite developers? After playing Aliens CM, I feel like the Borderlands games were a fluke. The last Brothers In Arms game wasn't bad, but because of the weird control scheme I wouldn't classify it higher than "interesting". The also inflicted us with Duke Nukem Forever, rather than just buying the character and tucking that game away where it couldn't hurt anyone.

So, Ship, did you really mean Gearbox is one of your favorite developers, when you consider all they've put out? Or do you mean they're the developers of one of your favorite games? Then again, I suppose being in your top 100 developers could still be considered a favorite.

(To be fair, the new Aliens game isn't horrible, it just really really misses the mark. The animation is stiff, reactions are sluggish, the AI teammate are a hindrance, health system is antiquated... blah blah blah... The worst thing about the game is that it's not better than the Aliens Vs Predator game from three years ago.)[/QUOTE]

It seems to me like Gearbox does fine when they're doing their own thing, but they seem to have some trouble when we're talking about licensed stuff.

The story that's been going around about Aliens is that Gearbox outsourced most (if not all) the assets to another company. They did a horrible job overseeing their development by having a total hands off approach and by the time they got the stuff back they had to redo quite a bit of stuff. They were worried that they were going to get sued by Sega for not delivering the game on time, so they shoehorned the thing together and sent it out into the wild. How much of that is actually true is questionable, but it does sound about right.

With Duke Nukem Forever they purchased the game from 3D Realms to finish it. They took their game and did what they had to do to get it out the door. The game was built on an outdated game engine and their choices were to either work with what they have or scrap it. So they released it.

...I guess the moral of the story is that Gearbox should just stick to their own stuff. Outsourcing, licensed games and buying someone else's game just doesn't work for them.

I understand it was a harrowing day for you Wombat, and I respect you taking revenge on Ted Price by saying nothing more than that Fuse was "fun" and refusing to say anything else about the game outside of reading the Wikipedia entry.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Just a clarification, by "the two Tales of releases," I was referring to the PS3 versions of Tales of Vesperia (Japan-only) and Tales of Graces.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, when Cheapy laughed at that I was like "oh no, Cheapy..." and shook my head sadly. (Not really, I'm joking. But I did know what you originally meant.)

This is me being nitpicky, but I'm a little surprised someone as well-versed in tech stuff as Cheapy called flat panel TVs flatscreens. That technically is not the correct term, since more recent CRTs have flat screens as well.

I'm sure there's a proper term for this, but does the whole "non-lag audio" thing seem even more pronounced this ep? What I mean is that usually Cheapy will respond to one of the other guys' question/comment/whatever about half a second before the audio of them talking actually stops. But in this ep, it sounded like Cheapy was just outright cutting them off (but he's not, it just sounds like it to the listener). So there was a lot of what sounds like them talking over each other, but they're in actuality not. I know I'm doing a terrible job of explaining this, but it was really drastic this time (at least in the beginning, not done with the ep yet).

[quote name='maxiell']I understand it was a harrowing day for you Wombat, and I respect you taking revenge on Ted Price by saying nothing more than that Fuse was "fun" and refusing to say anything else about the game outside of reading the Wikipedia entry.[/QUOTE]

I was vague because I knew the show would be out a few hours before the embargo was up, and didn't think it was worth ruffling feathers. I thought I said that during the show, I will give more details next week.

There really is a Spider-Man dance. http://marvel.com/news/story/7533/watch_japanese_spiderman_episode_7 It's at the 1:30ish mark.
Shaking his bum, climbing up walls
He jumps from building to building like Tarzan
He’s so cool that Spider-Man
I adore that Spider-Man
And so we’ve got to boogie
Shake our bums, boogie
Sing and dance, oh, boogie-woogie

Spider-Man Boogie
Spider-Man Boogie
Boogie, boogie, oh, boogie boogie

His GT is Cobra Commander for a reason! ssssssss

[quote name='Arcademode']CheapyD mentioned the excited fan that he met at E3 a few years back at the Nintendo 3DS booth. That was me!

As soon as I heard that model say cheapassgamer and saw a redhead and bald tall guy standing next to me, I knew it was Cheapy and Shipwreck.

One of the best/awkward E3 moments ever. Got a cool picture with them, too.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't awkward at all, it was awesome. I doubt I'll forget it anytime soon.

The thing I do not understand about the Last of Us is why they did not hold the game back to release on the PS4 as well as the PS3. They lucked out when GTA V was pushed back, but now they throw that bit of luck away by releasing during E3. I think Infamous 2 did OK, but it certainly did not do block buster numbers.

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']Does it really bother you that much? Besides, Cheapy does most of the talking.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem with the way he talks, it's the extreme compression that occurs when he says esses, it's a technical problem that literally causes me pain.

... but it looks like I'm the only one, so I'll just live with it.

I think I was one of the ones shaking my finger condescendingly last time Wombat brought up backwards compatibility. Somehow his stance sounds a lot more agreeable this time around. If you told me the Wii U played Gamecube discs and asked when I'd buy it, my reply would still include the phrase "cold, dead wallet."

I work for a supplier of a large big box retailer. From my experience the retailer almost never pays for the sale price or price drops. The supplier (publisher in this case) pays (or credits) the retailer the cost difference in exchange for the expected higher sales for the duration of the lower price period. So Cheapy is correct. Perhaps for small mom and pops it might be different.

I agree that top analysts need to come back. Shipwreck needs to be called out for being wrong recently. He said that the 3ds would be a holiday season success. Was it? He also said that the PS4 would not be coming out in 2013. He might miss that one too. He has his doubts on Last Of US, but I think there is too much pub for this game not to sell 1 mil.

Предлагаем свои услуги: аренда строительной техники, аренда самосвалов, аренда трала, аренда экскаватора на пневмоходу, аренда погрузчика, аренда грейдера, аренда бульдозера, аренда катка, аренда автокрана, аренда асфальтоукладчика, аренда фрезы дорожной, аренда длинномера, аренда бары, аренда гидромолота, аренда бетононасоса. Также вы можете заказать у нас грузоперевозки.
В нашем арсенале есть и продажа щебня, а также строительство. Наш офис находится в Ярославле.

bread's done
Back