Best Buy making online PM policy permanent starting Mar. 3rd

BigK_201

CAGiversary!
Looks like BB is taking after Target and extending their online price matching policy. This is great! I've already PM a lot of Amazon's prices at Target and stacked some great deals (PM Amazon.com prices with Wii U games the week they had the B2G1 free on Wii U games). I can't post a link because I'm a newbie, but I've copied and pasted the Press Release here:

Best Buy ends 'showrooming' with Low Price Guarantee

MINNEAPOLIS – February 15, 2013 – Best Buy's Low Price Guarantee hits online and in stores on March 3, signaling the end of "showrooming." Best Buy will price match all local retail competitors and 19 major online competitors in all product categories and on nearly all in-stock products, whenever asked by a customer.

Best Buy is the only retailer to offer a Low Price Guarantee in addition to having a full range of the latest and greatest devices and services, a sales force dedicated to providing impartial and knowledgeable advice and full support for the life of the product.

With a Low Price Guarantee, our customers will have the best of both worlds when they shop BestBuy.com or come to a Best Buy store. They will get unbiased service from our Blue Shirts and support for the life of their product while also knowing they have a Low Price Guarantee on nearly every item. This guarantee is available on BestBuy.com, at more than 1,000 Best Buy big box stores, more than 400 Best Buy Mobile stand-alone stores in the United States, as well as on the telephone.

The full Low Price Guarantee policy – including exclusions and the list of online retailers we will match prices from – can be found on BestBuy.com.

This was talking about at length in another thread. While this is true it is not the whole truth.

You only have 15 days to return any time and you can only price match any other retailer the day of purchase. You can price match Best Buy itself within 15 days.

Yeah, to go with this though the return window is now only 15 days for non silver and can no longer price match other stores after the initial purchase.

Double edge sword. But at least can price match good deals that frys, amazon and newegg has without hassle.

Also, they aren't the only retailer as Target does this as well, lol.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']This was talking about at length in another thread. While this is true it is not the whole truth.

You only have 15 days to return any time and you can only price match any other retailer the day of purchase. You can price match Best Buy itself within 15 days.[/QUOTE]

Shoot I didn't see the other thread for this.

But hey, price matching with online retailers in general is great, but that is super lame they are cutting it down from 30 to 15 days for returns.

To be fair, its buried in the 20 dollar certificate thread so its probably a good thing this has a thread of its own so everyone is aware of the changes.

[quote name='Deader2818']Yeah, to go with this though the return window is now only 15 days for non silver and can no longer price match other stores after the initial purchase.

Double edge sword. But at least can price match good deals that frys, amazon and newegg has without hassle.

Also, they aren't the only retailer as Target does this as well, lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've been doing it at Target since they launched theirs. I'm not sure if they will PM online retailers withing the 2 week window but they don't gimp the amount of days you have to return your item.

Exactly right though, I'm glad we are getting more options as buyers, especially when we are too impatient to wait for our 2 day shipping from Amazon ;)

[quote name='Deader2818']To be fair, its buried in the 20 dollar certificate thread so its probably a good thing this has a thread of its own so everyone is aware of the changes.[/QUOTE]

so they can complain more? LOL

[quote name='YBX87']so they can complain more? LOL[/QUOTE]

People will complain, but id rather it be known so people can make educated purchases.

Kinda sucks IMO. Never had any issue at any of my BBs price matching Amazon, new egg, and most legitimate non marketplace type prices. Losing the post purchase pm'ing blows and doesn't make sense.

If I have 15 days to return and rebut the same item why can't I just price match that item within that return Window. Idk seems desperate. I also just foresee this causing more customer service issues, 15 days is a VERY short return window especially in comparison with Target, Walmart and amazon.

[quote name='Dund3r']The full story so far:

http://consumerist.com/2013/02/15/b...ching-policy-change-with-low-price-guarantee/

PMing other competitors at the time of purchase only really hurts.[/QUOTE]

That was my point. Here's an example:

I bought dead space 3 two weeks ago and now it's on sale for $20 less at a competitor. What prevent me to return the game and repurchase now requesting a pm to that competitor. It's just going to make doing so more of a PITA.

Is Best Buy going to price match Amazon where I don't pay taxes? Had to do it.... I know that's the reason why CAGs love amazon. Lets be real.

[quote name='oasisboy']Is Best Buy going to price match Amazon where I don't pay taxes? Had to do it.... I know that's the reason why CAGs love amazon. Lets be real.[/QUOTE]

Unless you live in Oregon or Delaware, you should be paying amazon taxes. So... joke fail.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']You only have 15 days to return any time and you can only price match any other retailer the day of purchase. You can price match Best Buy itself within 15 days.[/QUOTE]
That really won't change anything for determined people since (unless the item is OOS) you can just purchase an item again for a full competitor PM, then return it with the old receipt. Probably get heavy abusers banned, but casual shoppers like me won't be affected.

Still, great news for people like me who have been moving away from Amazon.

[quote name='Jodou']That really won't change anything for determined people since (unless the item is OOS) you can just purchase an item again for a full competitor PM, then return it with the old receipt. Probably get heavy abusers banned, but casual shoppers like me won't be affected.[/QUOTE]

Correct it won't affect casual shoppers, but this isn't Casual Ass Gamer. This affects CAGs and other smart shoppers which is where we are current discussing at this moment.

I went to BestBuy a few days ago to see if they would price match a site not in the list and the guy said no only if it was on Amazon sold by Amazon so this may already be semi in effect now depending on the store since the 3rd is still a few weeks away.

It has been in effect for a while now, but before they were just trialing the new policy. Now they've decided to fully instate it.

worst part is obviously the post price match policy use in conjunction with the $20 pre order guarantee. I'll miss you best deal ever but that's just a bad turn of events

[quote name='cubeenigma']worst part is obviously the post price match policy use in conjunction with the $20 pre order guarantee. I'll miss you best deal ever but that's just a bad turn of events[/QUOTE]
I'm sure this, and many other instances, are exactly why they've changed it. The double-dipping was just too good to last.

I read the Consumerist article, but I don't get what this means for Premier Silver members.

So 60 day return/exchange policy will remain in effect until April 18th, but then what?

Yeah, I don't get why they would get rid of the post-purchase PMing... Do they really think that people are stupid enough that they won't just return and re-buy instead? It's just going to create a lot more hassle for their employees, not stop anything from happening.

On the other hand, given some of the stupid shit people try to pull... I'm not really all that surprised about the shortened return period. The other week during the Upgrade and Save offer, I went to the customer service desk to trade in some DVDs. I ended up behind a guy who was apparently trying to exchange a laptop for a router. He was past his return period, and had apparently done three exchanges since the original transaction already, all for different items. Apparently for a month he had been using Best Buy as an electronics rental service or something. Fortunately, another CS person came along after a few minutes and took care of my trade-in -- the guy was still arguing with the CS person helping him when I left. From what I've been told by a friend who used to work at Best Buy, this sort of thing isn't nearly as uncommon as you'd think. It's assholes like that who ruin these things.

according to best buy's 3rd party return tracking if you buy/find a price cheaper/ return for adjustment you are abusing the return policy hence will get an "excessive return" flag and not be able to return anything for a period of time or permanently.

double edged sword indeed.

I found out a out this last weekend, when the Best Buy guy said he'd match Amazon for Bond 50 Bluray set. I was surprised the guy knew about it, let alone matched it.

[quote name='Jodou']I'm sure this, and many other instances, are exactly why they've changed it. The double-dipping was just too good to last.[/QUOTE]

Oh well. I'll try after that date a couple of times before I "remember" muahaha

The 15 day return window is just pathetic though. I mean, it is one thing to say they are going to stop doing price adjustments for other stores, but 15 days? That's half of what Toys R Us offers for electronics, seriously, they are being beaten by one of the worst starting on March 3rd. Target and Walmart allow, I'm fairly certain, 45 days for unopened items at least, and actually looking at a receipt, Target gives 90 days for unopened merchandise typically (video games included). Just crack down on the abusers like the one arcane93 mentioned on an individual level and don't screw everyone else over.

This may help them on big ticket items but I am not sure how it helps them on just about anything else. Why would I drive 20 min to price match a game amazon will ship for free? Unless I have credit at BBY there is no reason to pay for gas for the same price. I guess having the return available would be nice but overall I think this new policy will result in decreased sales from me.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']The 15 day return window is just pathetic though. I mean, it is one thing to say they are going to stop doing price adjustments for other stores, but 15 days? That's half of what Toys R Us offers for electronics, seriously, they are being beaten by one of the worst starting on March 3rd. Target and Walmart allow, I'm fairly certain, 45 days for unopened items at least, and actually looking at a receipt, Target gives 90 days for unopened merchandise typically (video games included). Just crack down on the abusers like the one arcane93 mentioned on an individual level and don't screw everyone else over.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure Walmart is 90 days also.

so whats happening basically is

.post purchase price ajusting is dead
.more online retailers can be matched (finally)
.we have only two weeks to return a game, match its price from another retailer and rebuy it since we cant price ajust anymore

if so than it is a double edge sword indeed. i have to basically keep god of war sealed with the recipt for two whole weeks and prey that another retailer puts it on sale. imma miss the price ajusting.

[quote name='NINJA V']according to best buy's 3rd party return tracking if you buy/find a price cheaper/ return for adjustment you are abusing the return policy hence will get an "excessive return" flag and not be able to return anything for a period of time or permanently.

double edged sword indeed.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? I know that they utilize a 3rd party and them not PM-ing but having to return and rebuy will cause your account to get more activity. But are you insinuating that they will now just auto ban you when you attempt to do this?

As usual I won't get excited about the BB price matching. I ALWAYS have trouble and with the amazon price matching it wasn't any different. I have to deal with arguing with CSR about Blurays price matching from amazon (with the same SKU) because the "box coloring looks different" or the Assistant manager who gets an attitude and says that the Price matching doesn't include music CDs (people still buy those?), DVDs/games, computers, and small or large appliances. I said well what do you price match then, since this isssss an electronic store and that is all you have. "Look sir take it or leave it." and walks away. So of course I left it there and promptly went to target and I have had NO issues with target. Not one. Target 1; Best Buy still -10.

[quote name='joshnorm']What are you talking about? I know that they utilize a 3rd party and them not PM-ing but having to return and rebuy will cause your account to get more activity. But are you insinuating that they will now just auto ban you when you attempt to do this?[/QUOTE]

He's obviously not making any sense.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']Just crack down on the abusers like the one arcane93 mentioned on an individual level and don't screw everyone else over.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately not always easy to do... Sure, they can track people using a Reward Zone card (and we're all voluntarily allowing them to track us by using them, which is one of the big reasons they give them to us in the first place), and they could potentially even track people by credit card numbers (though from a security standpoint, that's not the best idea, and is just asking for one of those "our database of thousands of credit card numbers was hacked" scandals). But if the abuser uses cash and skips the RZ card? No real way to keep track of them outside of individual transactions. So if the guy that I mentioned used cash, they can tell (after a few exchanges) that he's an abuser on that transaction, but if he goes to a different store and does the same thing three weeks later with a new transaction, they'll have no idea and he can start all over again. Hell, even at the same store, they see so many customers and have such a high turnaround in employees that they might not even recognize him the next time.

[quote name='cancerman1120']This may help them on big ticket items but I am not sure how it helps them on just about anything else. Why would I drive 20 min to price match a game amazon will ship for free? Unless I have credit at BBY there is no reason to pay for gas for the same price. I guess having the return available would be nice but overall I think this new policy will result in decreased sales from me.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand your logic. Honestly, why would it decrease sales from you for games? If you're going to buy a game from Amazon, then sure, you're probably going to buy it from Amazon regardless of this policy most of the time. If you were going to buy it from Best Buy, then you'll probably still buy it from Best Buy. On the other hand, if you're out shopping anyway and there's a game that you want to pick up, but it's cheaper on Amazon... Well, now you can price match it at Best Buy and you won't have to wait a few days for it. Sounds like a win to me.

But really, yeah, it's the big ticket items they're focused on, that's both where they make most of their money and where they've been losing the most sales. When I bought my TV, I got it from Amazon because they were nearly $500 cheaper than Best Buy. Would I have bought it at Best Buy if I could have price matched it? Probably, since I would have been able to take it home that day instead of waiting a week (and scheduling a half day off work) for Amazon to schedule delivery. Same with a camera that I bought last summer.

What I'm interested in is how they've worked out the economics of it. The supposed reason why Amazon has been able to offer such lower prices is that they don't have all of the overhead costs of operating brick-and-mortar stores. So if Best Buy starts matching them on price for everything, will they be able to remain profitable enough to keep going? Will the potential increased sales make up for the profit they'll lose on individual sales? It seems like a bit of a desperation move to me.

[quote name='phenommsu']As usual I won't get excited about the BB price matching. I ALWAYS have trouble and with the amazon price matching it wasn't any different. I have to deal with arguing with CSR about Blurays price matching from amazon (with the same SKU) because the "box coloring looks different" or the Assistant manager who gets an attitude and says that the Price matching doesn't include music CDs (people still buy those?), DVDs/games, computers, and small or large appliances. I said well what do you price match then, since this isssss an electronic store and that is all you have. "Look sir take it or leave it." and walks away. So of course I left it there and promptly went to target and I have had NO issues with target. Not one. Target 1; Best Buy still -10.[/QUOTE]

If you get the slightest bit of attitude always call and file a complaint. You will get a gift card and more importantly they will get the message.

[quote name='confoosious']Unless you live in Oregon or Delaware, you should be paying amazon taxes. So... joke fail.[/QUOTE]
Wait, what? This isn't right at all.

[quote name='strait edge follower']
.post purchase price ajusting (adjusting) is dead
.more online retailers can be matched (finally)
.we have only two weeks to return a game, match its price from another retailer and rebuy it since we cant price ajust (adjust) anymore
[/QUOTE]
Well, unless you are silver.
For the rest of us, sadly yes.

[quote name='TooPoor']Well, unless you are silver.
For the rest of us, sadly yes.[/QUOTE]

fuck !!!!!!!!! well from a bussiness stand point this is understandable but as a hardcore cag this blows big time

[quote name='arcane93']Unfortunately not always easy to do... Sure, they can track people using a Reward Zone card (and we're all voluntarily allowing them to track us by using them, which is one of the big reasons they give them to us in the first place), and they could potentially even track people by credit card numbers (though from a security standpoint, that's not the best idea, and is just asking for one of those "our database of thousands of credit card numbers was hacked" scandals). But if the abuser uses cash and skips the RZ card? No real way to keep track of them outside of individual transactions. So if the guy that I mentioned used cash, they can tell (after a few exchanges) that he's an abuser on that transaction, but if he goes to a different store and does the same thing three weeks later with a new transaction, they'll have no idea. Hell, even the same store, they see so many customers and have such a high turnaround in employees that they might not even recognize him the next time.

.[/QUOTE]

But isn't that why they ask for drivers licenses? (Much like walmart asks for DL when you exchange without a receipt.)

[quote name='JaylisJayP']If you get the slightest bit of attitude always call and file a complaint. You will get a gift card and more importantly they will get the message.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I used to do that...but I don't venture forth into best buy much any more. I just lumped it up to another bad bb experience and avoid them unless there is some super deal going on. I hate being disgruntled and pull out my price match paper paper. I just go across to target. Unless there is a reason...then my wife becomes ashamed of me. :lol:

[quote name='confoosious']But isn't that why they ask for drivers licenses? (Much like walmart asks for DL when you exchange without a receipt.)[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I don't think they've ever asked me for my driver's license. But maybe that's just because I've used an RZ card...

What do they do, though, if you just say that you don't have a driver's license? Not everyone does.

Personally, the whole reason I shopped at Best Buy was for the post purchase price matching. Knowing that if the item went on sale in the next month anywhere local I could get some of the money back, I was a lot of times less cautious buying games/blu rays. Now that they will not do this, I will probably just wait for sales and not buy on release days like I have been, in which case I can no reason to go to Best Buy now, I will just go directly to the retailer that has the item on sale.

I know you can return / rebuy for 15 days now, but that does not work with opened games / movies, and I am not going to leave something unwrapped just for this because it defeats the purpose of having it on release day.

I personally prefer the method of post price matching local retailers and not price matching as many online stores than this new method, but that is just my personal opinion....

[quote name='Deader2818']People will complain, but id rather it be known so people can make educated purchases.[/QUOTE]

>educated
>CAG

lol

bread's done
Back