* * * - - 2 votes

[ShinyLoot] 101 Days of Summer Daily Deals

shinyloot drm-free sale indie games indie games tactical strategy rpg

#31 dys006   Doesn't play games. CAGiversary!   592 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:37 AM

They do! Just found it, thanks for the heads up. Not to think about the Creeper World bundle.

Buy it. Serious. It's very, very good.

And, if you hate it, I will buy it from you.

#32 shinyloot   ShinyLoot Representative Retailer Representative   131 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

shinyloot

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Now announcing our Nostalgic Nod Bundle for $9 - 66% off on a package of action/adventure/rpg indie games with 16-bit style graphics. The bundle includes:

Anodyne
Cthulhu Saves the World
Rijn the Specpyre
Wyv & Keep

#33 speedwerd   That Groupees OP Guy CAGiversary!   168 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

speedwerd

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Now announcing our Nostalgic Nod Bundle for $9 - 66% off on a package of action/adventure/rpg indie games with 16-bit style graphics. The bundle includes:

Anodyne
Cthulhu Saves the World
Rijn the Specpyre
Wyv & Keep

I take it all these games are DRM-Free downloads and don't include steam/desura keys?

#34 shinyloot   ShinyLoot Representative Retailer Representative   131 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

shinyloot

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

I take it all these games are DRM-Free downloads and don't include steam/desura keys?

Yes, that's correct.

#35 shinyloot   ShinyLoot Representative Retailer Representative   131 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

shinyloot

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Updated with our Modern 16 Bit RPG Bundle, plus updated our list of other games currently on sale.

#36 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

wish these games would work on linux, they look really cool:-( let's see some linux sales soon OP, that'd be great:D

#37 Chris22783   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   17 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I wish these included steam/desura codes where applicable - then I'd be all over this. There's some cool stuff on your site but I don't need another place to try and keep track of.

#38 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16774 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

I wish these included steam/desura codes where applicable - then I'd be all over this. There's some cool stuff on your site but I don't need another place to try and keep track of.

Those are my sentiments as well.

Maybe I should buy less games but it's kind of late for that now and besides all these sales just encourage buying more and more games. And the more I have the more I just need to keep them in as few places as possible to keep track of it all.

I know some people keep spreadsheets to keep track of all their games from various sources and I certainly applaud their diligence but it's just not something I personally want to be doing when there are much more convenient options through buying from or activating games to clients like Steam and Desura.

The DRM free direct download vs client discussion is something that comes up a lot in the various PC digital download thread and there are strong opinions on both sides. I know that there are outlets, such as indie bundles, that provide both DRM free downloads and Steam or Desura keys for flexibility and to cover both preferences. If Shiny Loot went this route at some point then I would be interested.

#39 zubalove   Old and In the Way CAGiversary!   308 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

Raptr.com talked about adding the ability to track game venders. Someone needs to to do it. I have no clue where my non steam and non GOG games are.

Great deals though. In for Septera Core.

#40 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4598 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

I know some people keep spreadsheets to keep track of all their games from various sources and I certainly applaud their diligence but it's just not something I personally want to be doing when there are much more convenient options through buying from or activating games to clients like Steam and Desura.

Which is fine as long as the games are on Steam or Desura (or maybe Origin.) When you run into those that aren't on one of those, it's a matter of skipping the game entirely instead of just holding out for a different type of product.

That said, while two of the game in this pack meet that definition, I'd still likely pass, even if I didn't have half the pack already. As long as I'm going to have to keep track of some games that aren't on a client, I'm going to try to keep them confined to those sites I already have some games. I really don't want to add another store with downloads to keep track of.

#41 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

I just use the "Add a non steam game" option, and put them in categories to know where they are from. Works good for me;)

#42 spoderman  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

I just use the "Add a non steam game" option, and put them in categories to know where they are from. Works good for me;)

Yeah, but that doesn't help keep track of game updates, and no offense to shiny loot but it's hard to convince some of us to buy clientless downloads from a site that just started off and may not be around in a few years..

Look at D2D, that got bought out by gamefly and it's a huge mess to access past purchases from there. I mostly stay away from clientless downloads unless it's GamersGate or GOG. You know Steam and Origin will be around for a very long time, and Desura is a pretty nice client that has gained a lot of appeal through various indie bundles.

#43 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, but that doesn't help keep track of game updates, and no offense to shiny loot but it's hard to convince some of us to buy clientless downloads from a site that just started off and may not be around in a few years..

Look at D2D, that got bought out by gamefly and it's a huge mess to access past purchases from there. I mostly stay away from clientless downloads unless it's GamersGate or GOG. You know Steam and Origin will be around for a very long time, and Desura is a pretty nice client that has gained a lot of appeal through various indie bundles.

good point, didn't consider that

#44 KillingMachine   CAGnificent! CAGiversary!   311 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

KillingMachine

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Clients are useful for patching, but on the other hand, I'd usually rather buy a clientless download that's DRM free than one that requires a client to play and/or install if the place of purchase may not be around or change hands in a few years. For me, being able to make my own backup that will still work independent of the place I bought it from trumps a client.

#45 jthieme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   412 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

You've got that backwards. The D2D business makes clientless the preferred option as long as the games are DRM free. It takes a little more work on your part to manage and archive the installers but as long as you do that you are ensured you can install the game in the future no matter what happens to the client you bought it from. Steam is risky and there have been people that have lost access to thier game collection due to their account getting hacked or Valve banning them. On the other hand I know I'll be able to install all of my GoG games and most of my Gamersgate games no matter what happens to them in the future.

#46 Kenshindono   I'm on a Boat! CAGiversary!   4714 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Kenshindono

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Hmm how does this work? I rarely buy DLC games, but this 16 bit rpg bundle speaks to me. Its not the kinda thing i would really be able to get a physical copy of, so i may bite

But I've never heard of this company offering this. How does it work? I HATE digital copies of stuff because, as a collector, im always worried about not being able to play them 10 years down the road because of DRM issues. I also dont like installing all kinds of clients and crap on my computer.

Are these DRM free? Do i just pay and d.load the bundle then i can install it wherever I want? Im on an old ass computer right now but will be getting a new one soon. I want to make sure i can install it on that one when i get it set up. Anyone bought from them that can explain exactly how this works?

Oh ya, and im assuming most of these are controller compatible? I hate playing things like these with a keyboard/mouse. I actually need to find a decent SNES style controller or something

#47 spoderman  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

You've got that backwards. The D2D business makes clientless the preferred option as long as the games are DRM free. It takes a little more work on your part to manage and archive the installers but as long as you do that you are ensured you can install the game in the future no matter what happens to the client you bought it from. Steam is risky and there have been people that have lost access to thier game collection due to their account getting hacked or Valve banning them. On the other hand I know I'll be able to install all of my GoG games and most of my Gamersgate games no matter what happens to them in the future.

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by "D2D". D2D was an online store, similar to GamersGate, but they got bought out by gamefly, so D2D no longer exists. I didn't say anything against DRM-free clientless downloads. I buy games that are DRM-free from both GOG and GamersGate. I was saying it's a bit risky to buy from a new store that may not stick around for the long term.

I still prefer using a client though. There are pros and cons of both clientless and client downloads. If you somehow lose backups of your drm-free clientless downloads and the site you purchased them no longer exists.. you're screwed. I've heard of cases where people have had their Steam accounts "hacked", and in those cases.. it's usually 99.9% their fault. Valve rarely bans accounts unless you do something wrong. I have heard of accounts having privileges temporarily disabled due to paypal issues though, which is unfortunate but temporary.

#48 Severose   I'm okie dokie and loopy CAGiversary!   2428 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

I don't have a 1 YB (yottabyte) hard drive to store my 2564 games. ;)

Good luck with managing that many installer files. :)

#49 jthieme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   412 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by "D2D". D2D was an online store, similar to GamersGate, but they got bought out by gamefly, so D2D no longer exists. I didn't say anything against DRM-free clientless downloads. I buy games that are DRM-free from both GOG and GamersGate. I was saying it's a bit risky to buy from a new store that may not stick around for the long term.

I still prefer using a client though. There are pros and cons of both clientless and client downloads. If you somehow lose backups of your drm-free clientless downloads and the site you purchased them no longer exists.. you're screwed.

Yeah, I had games on DirectToDrive that I lost access to when Gamefly took over so I know full well what they are. If they had offered a clientless DRM free download option I would still be able to play them as I still have all of the games' installer files on my hard drive.

And a client isn't going to help you one bit in the event you lose your backups and the site no longer exists, that isn't a pro in favor of having a client.

#50 shinyloot   ShinyLoot Representative Retailer Representative   131 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

shinyloot

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

wish these games would work on linux, they look really cool:-( let's see some linux sales soon OP, that'd be great:D

I will make this happen. We may need to grow our Linux library a bit more, but I definitely want to put together a Linux bundle.

Hmm how does this work? I rarely buy DLC games, but this 16 bit rpg bundle speaks to me. Its not the kinda thing i would really be able to get a physical copy of, so i may bite

But I've never heard of this company offering this. How does it work? I HATE digital copies of stuff because, as a collector, im always worried about not being able to play them 10 years down the road because of DRM issues. I also dont like installing all kinds of clients and crap on my computer.

Are these DRM free? Do i just pay and d.load the bundle then i can install it wherever I want? Im on an old ass computer right now but will be getting a new one soon. I want to make sure i can install it on that one when i get it set up. Anyone bought from them that can explain exactly how this works?

Oh ya, and im assuming most of these are controller compatible? I hate playing things like these with a keyboard/mouse. I actually need to find a decent SNES style controller or something

Some games on Shiny Loot are DRM-free, some require one time key validations. In both cases you shouldn't have to worry about not being able to play the game down the road because we absolutely don't sell games that add SecuROM, Tages, etc. nor do we sell any games that require Steam.

Shiny Loot does not have a client. Basically when you buy a game (or bundle in this case) you will get access to download links on your 'my games' section. Click to download the installer or zip and you'll be good to go. I think it's a very easy, painless process. I encourage you to come back here and post your feedback if you do decide to make a purchase. All the games in this bundle are DRM free.

As for us potentially not being around in a few years because we're new (as mentioned before you)...I know this is easy to say but I feel you can be less concerned with us in that regard vs. other start-ups. I've taken steps to ensure the fixed cost of running Shiny Loot is rather minimal. That means we won't be throwing multi-thousand dollar parties at PAX, but that's what you get for security! Obviously the better we do the more games and deals you will see in addition to other enhancements, like improving our trait-based filtering.

Remember, we're in beta...in fact roughly just a month into our open beta. We will consider anything that makes us a superior choice. The only things we won't stray from is focusing on indie games and offering only games that at least offer a minimal to no DRM download. So every bit of feedback here, even if not specifically for us, is really being considered.

#51 spoderman  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Yeah, I had games on DirectToDrive that I lost access to when Gamefly took over so I know full well what they are. If they had offered a clientless DRM free download option I would still be able to play them as I still have all of the games' installer files on my hard drive.

And a client isn't going to help you one bit in the event you lose your backups and the site no longer exists, that isn't a pro in favor of having a client.

I never really used it as a "pro".. I'm just stating that clientless downloads have cons too. In no way is what I said "backwards". Like I said, I'll buy DRM-free from both GamersGate and GOG because they'll probably be around for a while. Same applies to Steam, Origin, etc.

Remember, we're in beta...in fact roughly just a month into our open beta. We will consider anything that makes us a superior choice. The only things we won't stray from is focusing on indie games and offering only games that at least offer a minimal to no DRM download. So every bit of feedback here, even if not specifically for us, is really being considered.

IMO, the best option is to add both DRM-free downloads AND Steam/Desura keys (for games that have them). You can't go wrong with that option. IndieGameStand already does this, hell.. they even have GOG keys for some games.

#52 keithp   Older than you CAGiversary!   5602 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

I bought the bundle. Easy-peasy! I like supporting a DRM-free company, as jthieme says.

C'mon you CAGs, it's less than $2/game! I'm sure I'll get that much enjoyment out of them.

#53 blehman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   249 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Love old school style RPGs. I'll definitely bite at this price. Also adding the site to my favorites. I'll make sure to keep checking back in.

#54 jthieme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   412 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:21 PM

I don't have a 1 YB (yottabyte) hard drive to store my 2564 games. ;)

Good luck with managing that many installer files. :)

I have over 2500 games, almost 1800 which are PC games and today's 2-3TB drives are plenty for that. I used to archive to optical but that's not really an option anymore so I just mirror all of my files on another hard drive on another computer on my network. I keep them in directories based on who I purchased the game from and I have a master spreadsheet with all of my games that lists that info so I can easily find them. If the game needs a serial #/CD key I just create a text file in the same directory as the installer with that info. Granted I'm not protected against a disaster such as a fire/flood, etc but my game collection would be one of the least of my worries at that point.

It's a hell of a lot easier managing collections now as opposed to the floppy disk days. I used to have shoebox after shoebox filled with floppies labled by number and maintained a database to search which floppy something was on.

#55 keithp   Older than you CAGiversary!   5602 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

I've just played a little bit of Laxius Force and it's really good! It's definitely got a SNES-era RPG vibe in the best way. After reading some reviews I see there's a part 2 and 3 as well, which I understand are direct sequels, so I may pick those up as well.

Just wanted to put a recommendation out for Laxius Force, and if the other games in the bundle are as good then this is a great buy! Thanks Shiny Loot! I'll definitely be back!

#56 S0DA POPINSKI   Cagasaurus CAGiversary!   1577 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

S0DA POPINSKI

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

I noticed the game Septerra Core said it supports Windows 7. I have had some issues running older games on Windows 7, anyone know if that one works well?

#57 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3054 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:44 AM

Septerra core works on 7, it just looks cruddy

#58 shinyloot   ShinyLoot Representative Retailer Representative   131 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

shinyloot

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Added:

Shadows on the Vatican Act 1: Greed - $2.99 (50% off) - runs through 4/2

As well as 50% off on 2 of the games from the Modern 16 Bit RPG Bundle, Hero's Tale and Shadow of the Game.

#59 seamoss   CAGadversary! CAGiversary!   1932 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

I know this is off-topic, but to which D2D games did you lose access after the Gamefly takeover? It took them a while, but eventually I got access to all my old D2D downloads, either through the Gamefly client or as a direct download from the Gamefly website (Login -> My Account -> Purchase History -> D2D Downloads).

#60 jthieme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   412 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

I know this is off-topic, but to which D2D games did you lose access after the Gamefly takeover? It took them a while, but eventually I got access to all my old D2D downloads, either through the Gamefly client or as a direct download from the Gamefly website (Login -> My Account -> Purchase History -> D2D Downloads).

I hadn't checked in a while but I just took a look and Neverwinter Nights 2 and NWN2 SoZ still aren't available. It appears I have access to my other games.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shinyloot, drm-free, sale, indie, games, indie games, tactical, strategy, rpg