PC gaming via Remote Access?

dkleinfeld

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
PC gaming via Remote Access?

Hello, CAGgers!

I'm a recent convert to PC gaming, trying to figure out if I can game through my home theater setup. Wanted to see if anyone here has experience/advice with using remote access programs to game.

Right now, I have my burly gaming PC in my home office. I have my projector in the living room, connected to a cheap little home theater PC.

I've been using the HTPC to stream music and movies to my projector and stereo. But... Is there any reason I couldn't use remote access (something like LogMeIn or GoTo My PC) to play games on the burly gaming PC with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and display it on my projector via the HTPC? Or is that craaazy talk?

Any advice appreciated---thanks!

You can't usually use the appropriate graphics drivers through a remote protocol. Solitaire, minesweeper, etc. should work, but games requiring 3d drivers won't run.

You'd be better off doing wireless hdmi or a long hdmi cable with a wireless m&k or xbox controller. I think cheapy uses wireless hdmi.

Possible with Windows 8 Enterprise + Remote FX Licensing, however it isn't worth it. I highly recommend doing what Brownjohn said and get a long HDMI cable and a Wireless M&K/Controller.

Hunh! I had always imagined that a remote access computer was just displaying the screen as though it was a video stream, so 3D graphics wouldn't matter. Sounds like that isn't the case, though. Thanks, everybody!

+1 on the long HDMI cable. Barring that you could look into something like Onlive I guess. The performance of it is very much YMMV dependent upon your internet connection but luckily they do allow you to try games out before you buy them.

I actually have managed to do some gaming on my Android tablet + bluetooth controller via Splashtop, but only at home on my wifi connection. When I tried it over a 4G phone tether the latency just wasn't letting it happen. Not sure if Splashtop would work PC to PC very well but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try.

I still think at this point in time the long HDMI cable is the best option, albeit a clunky one. I have a 50 footer one that does the job for me.

Lastly it is possible to build a HTPC for gaming. There are compact cases that are designed to look like home theater components (on the largish side) and that you can put decent hardware in. I mean you won't get a big honkin mega heat sink, water cooling radiator and a 4 way SLI going, but you can get enough to build a rig to run most modern games decently enough.

This is the one I use: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007W4XJZK/

It works well for me because you can arrange it either horizontally as an HTPC or vertically as a mini tower.

Last night I was playing Guild Wars 2 on my gaming PC in the living room through my non-gaming PC in the office using Splashtop and my regular wireless keyboard and mouse (which were connected to the gaming PC). There was a bit of graphic degradation and subtle input lag, but it was quite playable.

That said, I can't wait for wireless HDMI to become affordable.

[quote name='Blank Earth']Last night I was playing Guild Wars 2 on my gaming PC in the living room through my non-gaming PC in the office using Splashtop and my regular wireless keyboard and mouse (which were connected to the gaming PC). There was a bit of graphic degradation and subtle input lag, but it was quite playable.

That said, I can't wait for wireless HDMI to become affordable.[/QUOTE]

I've also done Splashtop with a wireless 360 controller dongle plugged into the main computer but the controller itself with me in another room. I find that works well as the wireless 360 controller gets really good range for me, even through walls.

Hunh! Thanks for the Cooler Master link. I've got the Gigabyte Intel Z77 Thunderbolt ATX motherboard and a GeForce GTX 650 video card... that should all fit in there, right?

[quote name='dkleinfeld']Hunh! Thanks for the Cooler Master link. I've got the Gigabyte Intel Z77 Thunderbolt ATX motherboard and a GeForce GTX 650 video card... that should all fit in there, right?[/QUOTE]

According to the reviews, an ATX mobo will fit but it will be extremely close to the PSU. You should have no problems with fitting the GTX 650. (My EVGA version is extremely small.)

I've got a 550ti in mine with no problems. It does take up two slot spaces but that's pretty standard these days I think.

I know that case comes with a power supply but if you want a better one just watch the size on it. I ended up going with Enermax Liberty Eco II which is 6" x 3.5" x 5.5". That works fine but some of the power supplies that are 7" I think would stick out too far.

It's doable in a compact case but you do have to be mindful of the dimensions more than you would in most standard full tower cases.

[quote name='dkleinfeld']PC gaming via Remote Access?

Hello, CAGgers!

I'm a recent convert to PC gaming, trying to figure out if I can game through my home theater setup. Wanted to see if anyone here has experience/advice with using remote access programs to game.

Right now, I have my burly gaming PC in my home office. I have my projector in the living room, connected to a cheap little home theater PC.

I've been using the HTPC to stream music and movies to my projector and stereo. But... Is there any reason I couldn't use remote access (something like LogMeIn or GoTo My PC) to play games on the burly gaming PC with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and display it on my projector via the HTPC? Or is that craaazy talk?

Any advice appreciated---thanks![/QUOTE]
Gamergers?

bread's done
Back