The Girl that Leapt Through Time DVD/BluRay under $20?

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
I love love love this movie, but can't find a copy anywhere. Amazon has crazy prices, and the only affordable ones are Region 2. If anyone knows where I can get a copy for less than $20, or wherever is cheapest, I'd be ever so grateful:D

You should go ahead and splurge and grab yourself a region free blu player. Really, there's no reason not to. It's like $10 from Amazon UK on blu.

[quote name='Scorch']You should go ahead and splurge and grab yourself a region free blu player. Really, there's no reason not to. It's like $10 from Amazon UK on blu.[/QUOTE]

I've got a PS3, won't that work? Awesome price if it does, how does ordering from america on amazon uk work?

EDIT: after some googleing this seems not to be the case:( off to check BR Player prices...

Will a Blu-Ray laptop drive work? That worked for me for UK DVDs. But Blu-Ray could be a whole new ballgame.

If so, I'll totally order from Amazon UK. I love that movie, and I regret not blind-buying it at Best Buy way back when.

[quote name='blandstalker']Will a Blu-Ray laptop drive work? That worked for me for UK DVDs. But Blu-Ray could be a whole new ballgame.

If so, I'll totally order from Amazon UK. I love that movie, and I regret not blind-buying it at Best Buy way back when.[/QUOTE]

No. You need a standalone region free player. You can change the region of your blu ray player on your PC 5 times, then it'll be locked.

Standalone region free players aren't that much.

You order from Amazon UK the same way you order from Amazon US.

[quote name='Scorch']No. You need a standalone region free player. You can change the region of your blu ray player on your PC 5 times, then it'll be locked.

Standalone region free players aren't that much.

You order from Amazon UK the same way you order from Amazon US.[/QUOTE]

This is easily bypassed via software with a region free player. Or via custom firmware on the blu-ray drive.

Holy shit, that much. That makes the 7 bucks I paid for it when Best Buy cut down their Anime section. Have you checked FYE or Suncoast's in your area?

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I've got a PS3, won't that work? Awesome price if it does, how does ordering from america on amazon uk work?

EDIT: after some googleing this seems not to be the case:( off to check BR Player prices...[/QUOTE]

Wait, wait, wait... Are you sure it won't work? I've definitely got 4-5 blu's from Amazon UK that work just fine on my PS3. Unless this is one of those rare titles that doesn't work or something?

*EDIT*

I looked it up myself and it does seem to be one of those rare ones that won't work... Sucks because I've been looking for this movie for quite a while as well.

[quote name='Mixer236']Wait, wait, wait... Are you sure it won't work? I've definitely got 4-5 blu's from Amazon UK that work just fine on my PS3. Unless this is one of those rare titles that doesn't work or something?

*EDIT*

I looked it up myself and it does seem to be one of those rare ones that won't work... Sucks because I've been looking for this movie for quite a while as well.[/QUOTE]

This is always explained in every similar thread lol but,
The PS3 is not a region free blu-ray player.
ALL PS3 games are region free.
MOST UK Blu-ray movies are region free.
Those that aren't are region 2.
The PS3 only plays region 1 or region free Blu-ray disc.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel'] Really mad companies stop printing DVDs like this. So many I want are ridiculously expensive.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't that the company let it go OOP and moved on. It was due to the company shutting down, which from the sounds of it, the U.S. branch had no say in the decision.

Give it time, it might eventually get picked up by someone else. Since the license has already gone back to the licensor.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']This is always explained in every similar thread lol but,
The PS3 only plays region 1 or region free Blu-ray disc.[/QUOTE]

Bluray is three regions - A, B and C. UK is Region B. US is Region A.

Not all PS3 games are region free, but the majority are at this point.

I certainly wouldn't indicate that most UK bluray movies are region free, though I would be interested in what percentage actually are. If I had to guess, I'd put it closer to 20%.

I had a random urge to order one of the last copies from Amazon before they ran out forever. Ordered it for $35, and the next day it was going for $150+. I lucked out. Can't bring myself to open it now, though...

[quote name='Scorch']No. You need a standalone region free player. You can change the region of your blu ray player on your PC 5 times, then it'll be locked..[/QUOTE]

There are workarounds for this. From what I've read, unlike with DVD drives, locking of the drive is done through software not the drive. If you get a program called BDRegionTray.exe, and pair it with software like PowerDVD or TotalMedia Theatre 5 you can change the region unlimited times.

[quote name='thelonepig']Bluray is three regions - A, B and C. UK is Region B. US is Region A.

I certainly wouldn't indicate that most UK bluray movies are region free, though I would be interested in what percentage actually are. If I had to guess, I'd put it closer to 20%.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely higher than 20%. Of the major studios, All Warner and Universal titles are region free. The bulk of Fox titles are, and a good deal of Paramount and Sony ones are too. It's the smaller studio labels that like Eureka Masters of Cinema, StudioCanal, BFI, etc.. that are typically Region B locked. I wouldn't say most are region free, bu I'd say at least 40% are

[quote name='thelonepig']Bluray is three regions - A, B and C. UK is Region B. US is Region A.

I certainly wouldn't indicate that most UK bluray movies are region free, though I would be interested in what percentage actually are. If I had to guess, I'd put it closer to 20%.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely higher than 20%. Of the major studios, All Warner and Universal titles are region free. The bulk of Fox titles are, and a good deal of Paramount and Sony ones are too. It's the smaller studio labels that like Eureka Masters of Cinema, StudioCanal, BFI, etc.. that are typically Region B locked. I wouldn't say most are region free, bu I'd say at least 40% are

Any odds of Funimation being able to pick this one up to re-release? I know they have the rights to Akira, so I'm hoping they will get rights to this too. It's too great a movie to just be OOP indefinitely.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Holy shit, that much. That makes the 7 bucks I paid for it when Best Buy cut down their Anime section. Have you checked FYE or Suncoast's in your area?[/QUOTE]

I actually just bought my copy at FYE a couple weeks ago. I definitely recommend checking there if possible, especially since they really seem to go out their way to get items transferred (at least mine did when I was looking for this blu-ray).

[quote name='ssjmichael']There are workarounds for this. From what I've read, unlike with DVD drives, locking of the drive is done through software not the drive. If you get a program called BDRegionTray.exe, and pair it with software like PowerDVD or TotalMedia Theatre 5 you can change the region unlimited times.

It's definitely higher than 20%. Of the major studios, All Warner and Universal titles are region free. The bulk of Fox titles are, and a good deal of Paramount and Sony ones are too. It's the smaller studio labels that like Eureka Masters of Cinema, StudioCanal, BFI, etc.. that are typically Region B locked. I wouldn't say most are region free, bu I'd say at least 40% are[/QUOTE]

it should be noted trying to play blu rays on a PC is at least 10 nightmares wrapped together. possible? yes.....make you want to tear your hair out and kill someone in the process though.

between wonky software, licensing issues, and codecs and everything else it could be a problem....then even if it works the disc may skip a lot.

if it wasnt for blu ray players and their licensing fees we could have an easy free blu ray player on the PC now.....hopefully in another few years that sorts out but by that point it probably wont matter

[quote name='ssjmichael']Any odds of Funimation being able to pick this one up to re-release? I know they have the rights to Akira, so I'm hoping they will get rights to this too. It's too great a movie to just be OOP indefinitely.[/QUOTE]
Im really hoping funi gets this cowboy bebop, outlaw star, and eureka seven. Blu-ray releases of these in the US would be amazing. There are many more but those in particular... but if they got all that I would love wolf's rain on blu-ray its a beautiful show.

Jeez, when did the prices of this go up so much. I have an unopened copy that I don't even remember buying. Is there such a thing as buyer amnesia?

[quote name='Jhuntley']Jeez, when did the prices of this go up so much. [/QUOTE]

It's slowly been climbing ever since Bandai announced that they were shutting down last year.

While looking at the prices on Amazon, completely forgot there was a live action version that actually got a release here.

[quote name='tangytangerine']It's slowly been climbing ever since Bandai announced that they were shutting down last year.

While looking at the prices on Amazon, completely forgot there was a live action version that actually got a release here.[/QUOTE]

The live action is available for streaming on Netflix as well. I haven't seen it yet, but hope to soon.

[quote name='Jhuntley']Jeez, when did the prices of this go up so much. I have an unopened copy that I don't even remember buying. Is there such a thing as buyer amnesia?[/QUOTE]

dont recall exactly but it went OOP this summer if i remember right but thanks to the wonderful insane world of licenses it is easily obtainable if you have a UK player.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Im really hoping funi gets this cowboy bebop, outlaw star, and eureka seven. Blu-ray releases of these in the US would be amazing. There are many more but those in particular... but if they got all that I would love wolf's rain on blu-ray its a beautiful show.[/QUOTE]

while i never saw outlaw star dont ask me why just didnt and hated eureka seven with a passion....i wont lie i'd buy cowboy bepop again if it was on blu ray.

yea i really hope Funi grabs a good chunk of bandai releases because well who is there besides Funi that could them justice?

[quote name='kayne2000']dont recall exactly but it went OOP this summer if i remember right but thanks to the wonderful insane world of licenses it is easily obtainable if you have a UK player.

while i never saw outlaw star dont ask me why just didnt and hated eureka seven with a passion....i wont lie i'd buy cowboy bepop again if it was on blu ray.

yea i really hope Funi grabs a good chunk of bandai releases because well who is there besides Funi that could them justice?[/QUOTE]

Sentai could do a good job too. But I just don't think they have the cash to get alot of titles.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']This is always explained in every similar thread lol but,
The PS3 only plays region 1 or region free Blu-ray disc.[/QUOTE]

While most UK blus are region free you have to pay attention to what they use because the US uses 60i and the UK uses 50i for some reason meaning they might not work on your TV.

its listed under product promotions:

"Please note that this product will not play on US spec 60i Blu-ray players as the Blu-ray discs are authored to UK 50i specs."

Also most anime is in fact region locked. But that is a good warning, especially for things like BBC which occasionally use 50. Won't work on the PS3, even if your TV is compatible.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Sentai could do a good job too. But I just don't think they have the cash to get alot of titles.[/QUOTE]

yea i tend to forget about the other anime publishers cause they either went belly up or are really small. funimation is the last anime powerhouse sadly and sadly only because of DBZ and its 50 incarnations

Well, I guess I'll be going to try and hunt this down over the weekend... I've got an FYE & 3 BBY's that I can check out.

But yes, hopefully Funi does pick up some of these Bandai titles.

bread's done
Back