NOOOO!!! Gamespy.com shutting down!

I always thought that Gamespy was something like a spyware virus page or something like that to be honest :/

IGN laid off a bunch of people and to cut costs, GameSpy and 1UP.com.
Times are tough and this economy is crap!

[quote name='ashlee']i always thought that gamespy was something like a spyware virus page or something like that to be honest :/[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Ashlee']I always thought that Gamespy was something like a spyware virus page or something like that to be honest :/[/QUOTE]

Why did you think that?

[quote name='SkarEffect']When did IGN bought 1up?[/QUOTE]

may 2011.

http://www.1up.com/news/1up-joins-forces-with-ign

the second comment on the article is this

"I've been "a part" of 3 different takeovers of businesses and in EVERY case it was bad news for the one which was purchased. Expect 1up to go away and have a handful of editors working for IGN (with the rest "politely" resigning their post). It's a sad day for 1up followers imo."

creepily accurate..

[quote name='Ashlee']I always thought that Gamespy was something like a spyware virus page or something like that to be honest :/[/QUOTE]

Once upon a time they was a big honcho in game server hosting.

Then they sold the server division and tried to get back into PC game coverage/news/reviews

then came Ziff Davies and raped them where it hurts :hot:

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Is this going to affect PC Borderlands co-op games? Or do I have sites confused with one another?[/QUOTE]

Gamespy server division was shutdown last year. They where sold to GLu Mobile.

[quote name='Rodimus']I think it has to do with the word "spy"[/QUOTE]

Yikes, is Ad-Aware actually adware?!

Who is Glu Mobile? They are running Borderlands 1 servers now? What about Dungeon Defenders? I still see powered by Gamespy. Booted up the game and saw 17 matches online.

They also laid off Ryan Clements:( a sad day indeed. At least he's been picked up by Dead Silver. I wish the best for everyone else that's still looking. RIP Gamespy and 1UP*takes off hat*

Gamespy hasn't been relevant to me since back during the quake 2 days when it was a server finding program. Even then it got beat out by something though (The All-Seeing Eye dominated it). But at least it was a piece of gaming history. RIP gamespy.

My first thought is also about Dungeon Defenders. Still playing just fine, hope the servers get transferred elsewhere real quick.

[quote name='gacktyay']My first thought is also about Dungeon Defenders. Still playing just fine, hope the servers get transferred elsewhere real quick.[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly certain Gamespy.com and Gamespy Server Hosting are seperate entities and the latter will not be effected by this.

bread's done
Back