$15 Ultimate Spider-Man Season 1 DVD set w/FS @ BestBuy/AMZ matched

[quote name='blindinglights']Are we ever going to get a full release of the 1994 Spider-man cartoon? :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Depends on if it's up to Marvel or Disney's DVD department. The former, maybe when the next Spider-Man movie comes out. The latter, don't hold your breath.

It should be noted that this isn't the full season, nor are the episodes even in chronological order. It should also be noted that this is probably the worst Spider-Man cartoon ever.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']It should be noted that this isn't the full season, nor are the episodes even in chronological order. It should also be noted that this is probably the worst Spider-Man cartoon ever.[/QUOTE]

Far from it. I actually feel it's the second best after Spectacular Spider-man. I watched the original, and absolutely hated the boring action scenes, though I did like the plot line. My only issue with Ultimate is that at times the humor was a bit too childish, unlike the witty humor of Spectacular. There were a few Spider-man shows that were just plain awful (such as Spider-Man Unlimited).

[quote name='thefinal87']Far from it. I actually feel it's the second best after Spectacular Spider-man. I watched the original, and absolutely hated the boring action scenes, though I did like the plot line. My only issue with Ultimate is that at times the humor was a bit too childish, unlike the witty humor of Spectacular. There were a few Spider-man shows that were just plain awful (such as Spider-Man Unlimited).[/QUOTE]

The show is okay but I kinda wish it would focus more on Spiderman storylines than just Spiderman and crew fight a villian not in the Spiderman's Villian Category. It feels like Spiderman + The Avengers really

The first couple episodes of Ultimate Spiderman were just awful. I don't know if it's gotten any better but I miss Spectacular Spiderman

[quote name='thefinal87']Far from it. I actually feel it's the second best after Spectacular Spider-man. I watched the original, and absolutely hated the boring action scenes, though I did like the plot line. My only issue with Ultimate is that at times the humor was a bit too childish, unlike the witty humor of Spectacular. There were a few Spider-man shows that were just plain awful (such as Spider-Man Unlimited).[/QUOTE]

Okay, yeah, Unlimited and the later seasons of the 90's show were worse. My *huge* problem with Ultimate is all the completely unnecessary cut-away gags and freeze-frame monologues. Oh, and for some reason they wanted to make it a team show. And seem to insist on using almost entirely D-list villains. And gave him a Spider-Cycle. And effortlessly ruined Doctor Doom. And the every-single-episode surprise-monkey-noise sound effects. I could really go on and on - as a Spidey fan, this show is like nails on a chalkboard. At least it has nice animation, I guess.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Okay, yeah, Unlimited and the later seasons of the 90's show were worse. My *huge* problem with Ultimate is all the completely unnecessary cut-away gags and freeze-frame monologues. Oh, and for some reason they wanted to make it a team show. And seem to insist on using almost entirely D-list villains. And gave him a Spider-Cycle. And effortlessly ruined Doctor Doom. And the every-single-episode surprise-monkey-noise sound effects. I could really go on and on - as a Spidey fan, this show is like nails on a chalkboard. At least it has nice animation, I guess.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I couldn't even get through the first episode and I love Spider-Man.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Okay, yeah, Unlimited and the later seasons of the 90's show were worse. My *huge* problem with Ultimate is all the completely unnecessary cut-away gags and freeze-frame monologues. Oh, and for some reason they wanted to make it a team show. And seem to insist on using almost entirely D-list villains. And gave him a Spider-Cycle. And effortlessly ruined Doctor Doom. And the every-single-episode surprise-monkey-noise sound effects. I could really go on and on - as a Spidey fan, this show is like nails on a chalkboard. At least it has nice animation, I guess.[/QUOTE]

I like the monologues because they can be humorous at times, but yeah I agree that I hate the "team" based plots, sound effects and the villains. To be frank though, the only phenomenal Spider-Man show was Spectacular Spider-Man and I was extremely sad to see that show get canned.

[quote name='thefinal87']To be frank though, the only phenomenal Spider-Man show was Spectacular Spider-Man and I was extremely sad to see that show get canned.[/QUOTE]

Truth.

[quote name='thefinal87']To be frank though, the only phenomenal Spider-Man show was Spectacular Spider-Man and I was extremely sad to see that show get canned.[/QUOTE]

Agreed as well! Awesome art style and smooth animation. The actual storylines were incredible... especially the episodes framing devices based on the parts of a high school play used in the second season. It was a really high-calibur show by any means... not just for animation. I really like Wolverine and the X-Men too and was bummed to see them both get canned at the same time.

It's not the writing or the cutaway gags or even the team-based storylines about Ultimate that gets me. The animation is AWFUL... truly awful. The art style is generic and boring. And it's like they don't understand perspective... there's alot of awkward looking movements and shots. The actual writing isn't much better... Spectacular was a huge leap forward... why would they take such a huge leap back with a show like this?

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']Agreed as well! Awesome art style and smooth animation. The actual storylines were incredible... especially the episodes framing devices based on the parts of a high school play used in the second season. It was a really high-calibur show by any means... not just for animation. I really like Wolverine and the X-Men too and was bummed to see them both get canned at the same time.

It's not the writing or the cutaway gags or even the team-based storylines about Ultimate that gets me. The animation is AWFUL... truly awful. The art style is generic and boring. And it's like they don't understand perspective... there's alot of awkward looking movements and shots. The actual writing isn't much better... Spectacular was a huge leap forward... why would they take such a huge leap back with a show like this?[/QUOTE]

Demographics and money. Money is in the licensing and merchandising of toys based on the show. If a show doesn't sell stuff or exec think it can't sell stuff due to demographics appeal, they cancel it, don't matter how good it is. Also, Marvel/Disney gots its rights back for spiderman and wanted to start fresh I think.

Though Ultimate Spider-Man doesn't HAVE any merchandise. Then again, neither did Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Spectacular Spider-Man and Wolverine & the X-Men were just made at the wrong time. Sony and Lionsgate were forced to relinquish the rights to their Marvel shows when Disney bought Marvel.

I just watched this show on Netflix. It was enjoyable, but there was too much "Family Guy" like humor that stopped the action cold to go on some goofy jokey rant. I liked the art style though and appreciated Iron Fist and Power Man being included. The best episode was the Captain America one, that had some nice writing.

My favorite Spidey show will always be the '90s one. I hated Spectacular Spider-Man with a burning passion. The character designs made everyone look like dopey little kids, the animation was an affront to my eyes. And it was the same regurgitated plot points again and again. Jeez, even the '80s Spider-Man cartoon was better, at least the character's looked like they came out of the comics and the Dr. Doom episodes were decent.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']I just watched this show on Netflix. It was enjoyable, but there was too much "Family Guy" like humor that stopped the action cold to go on some goofy jokey rant. I liked the art style though and appreciated Iron Fist and Power Man being included. The best episode was the Captain America one, that had some nice writing.

My favorite Spidey show will always be the '90s one. I hated Spectacular Spider-Man with a burning passion. The character designs made everyone look like dopey little kids, the animation was an affront to my eyes. And it was the same regurgitated plot points again and again. Jeez, even the '80s Spider-Man cartoon was better, at least the character's looked like they came out of the comics and the Dr. Doom episodes were decent.[/QUOTE]

First thing that came to my mind as well. Shitty Family Guy style humor.

[quote name='DNukem170']Though Ultimate Spider-Man doesn't HAVE any merchandise. Then again, neither did Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.[/QUOTE]

Actually, action figures have been springing up over the last month or so. They're almost as crappily-made as the show, too.

bread's done
Back