* * * * * 1 votes

Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

#331 darkcecil32   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   693 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago   Has been playing Bloodborne
PS4

darkcecil32

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:49 AM

Have been too tied up to skim the forums for a while. Just perused through the last few pages to quickly say the following while I have a moment:

Congratulations to: Malik22, 2DMention, dohdough, Ag_SurfR. It's great to see CAGs experiencing success!

Best of luck to: highoffcoffee496, Prepster, Dokstarr, Clak. We're all pulling for you guys.

Keep your head head up to: Abear21 and anyone else who's going through a difficult job search experience. Things will get better eventually, even if it takes some time.

@yourlefthand: Glad to hear that it was a mix up. I did a double take when I read your earlier post moments ago.

#332 Clak   Made of star stuff. CAGiversary!   8079 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:55 AM

Well thankfully that recruiter wasn't blowing smoke up my ass, I have an interview tomorrow for the job he talked to me about.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#333 Tony Stark   Keep Calm Chive On CAGiversary!   822 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

Well thankfully that recruiter wasn't blowing smoke up my ass, I have an interview tomorrow for the job he talked to me about.

I have found many recruiters to be bad...

Many are contract positions who are trying to hire anyone to get hired full time.

Check my YouTube channel for exotic cars: https://www.youtube.com/user/DKGarage

#334 Malik112099   Got Wife? CAGiversary!   8220 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Malik112099

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

congrats Malik!

If you dont mind me asking, what field? You probably said it already but I seem to have missed it.

It's a large centrifugal pump company that caters mostly to oil & gas.

#335 highoffcoffee496   I gotta believe! CAGiversary!   1425 Posts   Joined 2.7 Years Ago  

highoffcoffee496

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

I just got an internship offered to me! I'm going to be working with Federal Probation Officers!! :D :D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#336 Malik112099   Got Wife? CAGiversary!   8220 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Malik112099

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

I just got an internship offered to me! I'm going to be working with Federal Probation Officers!! :D :D

That sounds pretty cool! Congrats!!

#337 Clak   Made of star stuff. CAGiversary!   8079 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

I have found many recruiters to be bad...

Many are contract positions who are trying to hire anyone to get hired full time.

Well this would be a 3 month contract to hire position, best I've been offered so far. Usually they're temp jobs. The guy ahs a history with the director at this place, has helped him fill a number of positions, so I feel better about this. The guy is looking to find someone quickly and definitely wants to keep them if they work out.

When i went over the benefits with the recruiter he actually mentioned they have a pension at this place, who does that anymore?
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#338 highoffcoffee496   I gotta believe! CAGiversary!   1425 Posts   Joined 2.7 Years Ago  

highoffcoffee496

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

That sounds pretty cool! Congrats!!

Thanks!! :bouncy: She has to still confirm a few things but it sounds pretty set. I'll be starting at the end of May \\:D/
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted Image

#339 yourlefthand   Daddy Gamer CAGiversary!   1699 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

yourlefthand

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

I accepted the job this morning. I'll start just under a month after my layoff.

Big bonus is I'll get an @noaa.gov email addy.

#340 Malik112099   Got Wife? CAGiversary!   8220 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Malik112099

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

I accepted the job this morning. I'll start just under a month after my layoff.

Big bonus is I'll get an @noaa.gov email addy.

Sweet. Also, your acting administrator used to be a man.

Posted Image

#341 Dead of Knight  

Dead of Knight

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

After the mixup in the negotiations, it looks like the company is coming back about 8% higher.

The other place is a startup, which I don't really like, and cheap, which I really don't like.

I have noticed how fucking cheap startups can be. Fuck startups. Want to work you to the bone and pay you pennies for it. Even nonprofits are more generous.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#342 yourlefthand   Daddy Gamer CAGiversary!   1699 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

yourlefthand

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

After all of that, the startup came in with a really good offer and the contracting company hasn't gotten a written offer to me. I might be at the startup after all.

#343 Clak   Made of star stuff. CAGiversary!   8079 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:57 AM

Well the interview went well today. From what I understand it's between one other guy and myself. The other guy has more experience, but wants more money. Lack of experience doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, they're really big about bringing people in at lower positions and training them, eventually allowing them to move up to higher levels positions. Plus a lot of the stuff I'd be knowing with is proprietary to the company, so they'd have to train anybody they brought in to some extent.

#344 spmahn  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:52 AM

I had an interview today for a more lucrative position within the company I work for. I felt that everything went well, except for the bullshit question "What do you like best about your current position". Of course the correct answer would be absolutely nothing, but that's probably not the best one to give, so I was put on the spot a bit to come up with a better response. The answer I did come up with wasn't great, but I'm still holding out hope. What a bullshit question, if I liked my current job, why would I be looking for a new one?

#345 Tony Stark   Keep Calm Chive On CAGiversary!   822 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

I figured since most of you in the thread the looking for jobs and know how hard it is that you would find this image amusing.

Posted Image

via theChive

#346 JStryke  

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

I figured since most of you in the thread the looking for jobs and know how hard it is that you would find this image amusing.

That's hilarious. I even imagined there being a dog like character laughing at me for every botched interview or failed job application.

I stream on Twitch. At least two times a week. http://www.twitch.tv/jstryker416

JStryker416.png

#347 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2834 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

I have noticed how fucking cheap startups can be. Fuck startups. Want to work you to the bone and pay you pennies for it. Even nonprofits are more generous.

It depends what field you're in. Software startups tend to be the exact opposite: spending money like it's going out of style. (They're CS majors, not accountants. :lol:)

#348 darkcecil32   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   693 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago   Has been playing Bloodborne
PS4

darkcecil32

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

I just gave my 2 week's notice at my job recently. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I felt so incredibly guilty and as if I had done something morally wrong.

My supervisor and one of the principal owners looked so sad when I broke the news, and I was totally not expecting, nor prepared, for that reaction. They even asked if they could do anything to make the position better for me, or if it was a matter of being unhappy with my compensation...until I basically caved and told them I had taken another job offer. It was really gut-wrenching.

However, I received an offer to work in the industry I've long been hoping to break into, and as 3 years have already gone by since I graduated from college with obstacles continuing to mount up against me, I felt I had to take the plunge.

Very emotionally drained right now but eagerly looking towards the future...

#349 elessar123   "AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER." CAGiversary!   9833 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

I just gave my 2 week's notice at my job recently. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I felt so incredibly guilty and as if I had done something morally wrong.

Nice. Been thinking about doing the same just to do something a little different, but I got offered a project that's more inline with what I would rather do. I'll see how that turns out before I apply somewhere else.

elessar123.png

#350 Clak   Made of star stuff. CAGiversary!   8079 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

I got a job offer from the place I interviewed with! It's not as much money as I'd like, but their benefits package is good enough to make up for it.

#351 karkyco   $$$ CAGiversary!   6071 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I got a job offer from the place I interviewed with! It's not as much money as I'd like, but their benefits package is good enough to make up for it.

Awesome, congrats.

SPLASH!

m93k0.gif

#352 yourlefthand   Daddy Gamer CAGiversary!   1699 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

yourlefthand

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Way to go!

#353 Clak   Made of star stuff. CAGiversary!   8079 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Thanks, guys!

#354 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6353 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Congrats, dude!
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#355 usickenme   I'm the a-hole CAGiversary!   2495 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

usickenme

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

holy crap that was quick. Got a job today.

I saw an ad online yesterday.. Sent in my resume this morning...interviewed this afternoon and got the offer end of day.

My ace in the hole is that I happened to go to high school with the firm president (I knew him but never hung out or anything). I mentioned it in the cover letter. It also help that I got a great reference from my past employer.

#356 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6353 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

holy crap that was quick. Got a job today.

I saw an ad online yesterday.. Sent in my resume this morning...interviewed this afternoon and got the offer end of day.

My ace in the hole is that I happened to go to high school with the firm president (I knew him but never hung out or anything). I mentioned it in the cover letter. It also help that I got a great reference from my past employer.

Congrats to you too!
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#357 usickenme   I'm the a-hole CAGiversary!   2495 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

usickenme

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Congrats to you too!

there is a lot of congrats going around

#358 Dead of Knight  

Dead of Knight

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Damn, seems like almost everyone in this thread is getting a job all at once! Congrats y'all!
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#359 highoffcoffee496   I gotta believe! CAGiversary!   1425 Posts   Joined 2.7 Years Ago  

highoffcoffee496

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

Posted Image
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted Image

#360 Tony Stark   Keep Calm Chive On CAGiversary!   822 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

Congratz to the new employeed