Tomb Raider Preorder Exclusives Comparison Thread

smackinisaiah

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sup CAGs!
This is my first attempt at a decent thread on here so any constructive criticism or advice is much appreciated and welcomed! I've saved a LOT of money on games in the past few months and the least I could do is contribute.

I'm currently in the market for Tomb Raider, and after comparing exclusives from some of the reputable retailers, I compiled a list of features for everyone to enjoy. I am aware that this is already a little dated, since Tomb Raider comes out next week, but it's my first attempt at this, and there's still some people on the fence about the game.

Also, this is my first of, hopefully, many posts like this. If anyone would like to give me a hand in compiling one solid, wikified thread that has preorder comparisons for all the upcoming games, please PM me and we can get something working.

3/5/13
TOMB RAIDER (X360/PS3)

Amazon:
  • Tomb Raider: Final Hours Edition $59.99 + FSS/Prime
    • Hunter Skin: An exclusive outfit that camouflages Lara in a heavy coating of mud, action movie-style.
    • The Final Hours of Tomb Raider 'Director's Cut' eBook for Kindle
    • The Art of Tomb Raider 'Amazon Edition' Art Book (Hardcover // 32 pages)
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt access code to unlock DLC items and chances to win prizes (mobile 'geocaching-esque' app, I believe? please correct me on this)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map

• Receive $5 Amazon credit off the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (exclusions apply).
  • Exclusive codes e-mailed within 2 days of shipment. (including $5 Amazon credit)
  • Art book packaged and shipped with product.
  • Amazon will price match game to lowest cost on Amazon.com during time between preorder and the end of the day on release date.
Best Buy:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Tomb Raider game
    • Aviatrix Skin: Dress Lara as a classic 1930s adventurer, bomber jacket and all.
    • Tomb Raider: The Beginnings Comic Book: Written by Rhianna Pratchett with cover art by Tomb Raider Art Director Brian Horton. The Beginnings is a 48-page, six-part comic book that explains how the Endurance's ill-fated voyage came to be. This special edition comic book brings together the cast and crew, including a budding young adventurer named Lara Croft, as they search for the Yamatai off Japan's East Coast. (Packages with the game.)
    • Shanty Town Multiplayer Map (thanks DeskLaser)

• $20 Reward Zone Certificate if you are a Gamer’s Club [Unlocked] member (received 30 days from date of purchase)
  • 2X Reward Zone points for new video game purchases
  • 15% off a Limited Edition guide ($32.30 + tax after discount)
    • Guide includes an exclusive 1.5" metal amulet with rope from the game, two special in-game digital downloads and a collectible hardcover strategy guide with a deluxe finish.
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller ($39.99 when purchased with game)
Walmart:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Guardian of Light download (1200 MSP / $15 value)
    • Guerrilla skin: This exclusive outfit makes Lara look like a jungle warfare guerrilla
    • Tomb Raider Scavenger Hunt code

• $4.99 VUDU Movie Credits (e-mailed)
GameStop:
  • Tomb Raider $59.96 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Lost Adventurer Challenge Tomb. An exclusive tomb for Lara to raid! In this new location, Lara will encounter all new environment puzzles that will test her abilities.

• 10 points per dollar spent for PowerUp Rewards members
  • Tomb Raider Survival XBOX 360 controller $59.99
Target:
  • Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS/Pickup
    • Exclusive Target steelbook (preorder NOT required)
  • $5 Target GC after purchase

Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart/GameStop:

• Tomb Raider: Collector's Edition $99.99 + FS
    • Includes any store-specific exclusives (including Amazon)
    • Play Arts Kai Lara Croft Figurine: Fully posable figurine with over 40 points of articulation. The dirt on her body and clothes have been realistically recreated to tell the tale of Lara's fierce fight for survival on a desolate island in her first and most harrowing adventure. Comes with alternate set of 3 hands, bow and arrow, shotgun, handgun, and climbing axe. Figure Size: Approx 8.0" Tall
    • Endurance Survival Kit Packaging: Worn and weather-beaten steel tin (not a steel book) recovered from the Endurance shipwreck, and a 15" x 19" Double Sided Island Map and Poster. Discover Key Landmarks from the mysterious island of Yamati, where Lara Croft and her fellow castaways were marooned after the Endurance shipwreck. On the reverse is a poster size image of the box art that epitomizes Lara's origin story.
    • 5" x 7" heavy stock lithograph print with matte frame, designed by Crystal Dynamic's Senior Art Director, Brian Horton, painting by Brenoch Adams.
    • 3 Iron-on badges of the game's key icons (Animal Instincts, Climbing Axe, Fire Arrow)
    • Tomb Raider Original Soundtrack 'Survivalist cut'. A collection of 10 tracks totaling over 60 minutes of music from the game
    • Weapons Pack DLC
Microsoft Store:

• Tomb Raider $59.99 + FS
    • 1600 points card free with preorder from microsoftstore.com ($20 value)
      • Coupon code will be sent to email address associated with purchase within 10 days of game being shipped.
Again, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or anything please let me know. Hope you CAGs find this useful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to me Amazon has good options. Otherwise GZ Unlocked 20$. GameStop can eat it. I am no preorder this one but ill be excited to play in the 20-30$ range.

The bestbuy.com page for Tomb Raider says that it includes the Shanty Town map as well. For me, the $20 in bonus RZ points at Best Buy usually trumps all other bonuses though.

Question regarding the target steel book, is it pre-order only, or first come first serve on release day?

[quote name='LiteRemix']Question regarding the target steel book, is it pre-order only, or first come first serve on release day?[/QUOTE]
Target doesn't really do anything particular for preorder cards. Yeah you get a $5 gc but it's not like they are going to hold a steelbook for a preorder. These will definitely be first come first serve with limited quantities.

[quote name='LiteRemix']Question regarding the target steel book, is it pre-order only, or first come first serve on release day?[/QUOTE]Based on how the ad words it, first-come first-serve...which doesn't bode that well. :whistle2:|

At Gamestop you're forgetting the Scavenger Hunt thing you get on the receipt when you preorder where you answer questions on PC, tablet, and/or smartphone to get DLC items and enter to win prizes.

The other two in-game items print on the receipt at pickup.

Edit: Looks like everybody in OP minus Target gets code for Scavenger Hunt.

I wonder if the target steelbook is bundled with the game or is a seperate item. Would love to pick up a steelbook by initially buying from target then returning it lol.

[quote name='smackinisaiah']Tomb Raider: Collector's Edition $99.99 + FSS/Prime
  • All exclusive Amazon.com content from regular edition.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for putting this together. However, when I spoke to Amazon customer service earlier, they told me that their Collector's Edition doesn't include all the exclusive content you listed under their standard (Final Hours) edition. That means no Final Hours kindle content or physical art book (I assume the unlockable codes will still be emailed), just the stuff that comes with the collector's edition. :(

[quote name='MSUHitman']At Gamestop you're forgetting the Scavenger Hunt thing you get on the receipt when you preorder where you answer questions on PC, tablet, and/or smartphone to get DLC items and enter to win prizes.

The other two in-game items print on the receipt at pickup.

Edit: Looks like everybody in OP minus Target gets code for Scavenger Hunt.[/QUOTE]

I think the scavenger hunt is kind of a moot point at this point in the pre-release, anyway. According to the rules, you can earn 3 points per week, and we're in the last week. I think you need 6 points for each DLC item that can be earned. So, if you're just preordering now, it's too late to earn any of the in game bonuses. The most you can get is a contest entry for earning the 3 points available this week.

Also, my preorder from Best Buy didn't have an entry code printed on the receipt...in which case, you actually have to take a photo of your receipt, e-mail it to the scavenger hunt site, and wait for them to send you the entry code to play the game.

Edit: Nevermind. I'm wrong. The challenges don't expire each week. All 12 weeks of challenges are still available until the game's release (thanks for the heads up DWulf). I e-mailed a pic of my preorder receipt, got a scavenger hunt entry code back in less than an hour, and did all 24 challenges tonight.

Does anyone know if you order the Collector's edition from Amazon.com if you get the "Final Hours" bonus stuff? It still displays the final hours bonus whether you select the regular or collector's edition, so I'm guessing it does.

[quote name='Pumapride']Does anyone know if you order the Collector's edition from Amazon.com if you get the "Final Hours" bonus stuff? It still displays the final hours bonus whether you select the regular or collector's edition, so I'm guessing it does.[/QUOTE]

Everything I have heard said that you get the Final Hour bonuses with the collectors edition but I am still unsure. I hope so, I want that art book.

Pulled this from Collectorsedition.org.

"According to Amazon.com customer service the US-Collector’s Edition will also come with the Final Hours Edition!"

I already answered this, but it seems like the Amazon collector's edition does not include the "Final Hours" edition of the game, which has the art book.

About the comic from Best Buy, that wasn't given out yet was it? Or will it be given out during release? I'm guessing if during release, it'll be attached to it like how Final Fantasy 13-2 Novella was.

[quote name='Kanokare']About the comic from Best Buy, that wasn't given out yet was it? Or will it be given out during release? I'm guessing if during release, it'll be attached to it like how Final Fantasy 13-2 Novella was.[/QUOTE]

It will be packaged with the game. At least that is what it says.

[quote name='Kanokare']About the comic from Best Buy, that wasn't given out yet was it? Or will it be given out during release? I'm guessing if during release, it'll be attached to it like how Final Fantasy 13-2 Novella was.[/QUOTE]

Nope...not yet. You pick it up at release. I, too, am guessing that it will probably bundled with the game in some way like the FF novella (especially since it's supposedly a hardcover book).

[quote name='MR_E']I think the scavenger hunt is kind of a moot point at this point in the pre-release, anyway. According to the rules, you can earn 3 points per week, and we're in the last week. I think you need 6 points for each DLC item that can be earned. So, if you're just preordering now, it's too late to earn any of the in game bonuses. The most you can get is a contest entry for earning the 3 points available this week.

Also, my preorder from Best Buy didn't have an entry code printed on the receipt...in which case, you actually have to take a photo of your receipt, e-mail it to the scavenger hunt site, and wait for them to send you the entry code to play the game.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you can still do all of the challenges/trivia to earn the DLC perks, not just the current weeks. I got my code in week 3 or 4 and was still able to do the previous weeks.

[quote name='DWulf']Actually, you can still do all of the challenges/trivia to earn the DLC perks, not just the current weeks. I got my code in week 3 or 4 and was still able to do the previous weeks.[/QUOTE]

Really? Thanks for the heads up! After reading the rules, I wasn't going to bother photographing my receipt and trying to get a code to enter at the last minute... But if there's still time to score the DLC, I might go for it.

you should combine everything that is the same with each store into one, and then just write what the differences are separately.

it's a lot of repeated information

The CE does not have a Steelbook, its a steel tin:

"– Endurance Survival Kit Packaging — Worn and weather-beaten steel tin recovered from the Endurance shipwreck."

91bwqT7tw2L._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for the pic of the CE I was trying to find it on the BB kiosk when I picked up Crysis 3, but damned thing kept freezing on trying to load it lol.

Anyway, definitely gonna pass on the CE and pick up the standard copy. Nothing in there particularly catches my eye.

[quote name='MR_E']Nope...not yet. You pick it up at release. I, too, am guessing that it will probably bundled with the game in some way like the FF novella (especially since it's supposedly a hardcover book).[/QUOTE]

Ah for real? is the comic book a hardcover? Man I loved that FF Novella pack. I really want something like that from amazon with the art book. I can't decide which one is better to go with and its bugging me. I want a nice slip cover for it and the book packaged in. Don't care wether its a comic or art book, they both sound cool, but I don't want to miss out on a slipcovered version.

and if these same bonuses apply to the collectors edition, where will the comic/artbooks be packed? Since the game is inside the tin, I figure the bonus books would be a separate entity all together, since from unboxings I've seen, the collectors edition is pretty compact. Hmmm.

[quote name='smackinisaiah']Also, this is my first of, hopefully, many posts like this. If anyone would like to give me a hand in compiling one solid, wikified thread that has preorder comparisons for all the upcoming games, please PM me and we can get something working. [/QUOTE]

Don't we already have one here?

[quote name='tylerh1701']Don't we already have one here?[/QUOTE]

OH man! That's exactly what I was looking for. Well, now I feel like a jackass. But thank you for the head's up. And thanks everyone for the input. I made some changes to accommodate the errors. If you see anymore, please let me know. Thanks.

[quote name='TooPoor']When it comes out, please somebody post their comment on the quality of the figurine.[/QUOTE]

Im sure it will be awesome, its a play arts figure. Those things are amazing and the paint/detail is superb. Lara looks to be no exception from the unboxing. Thats what I'm guessing will make this particular collectors edition a little harder to get on the aftermarket, usual play arts figures range from 50-70 standard, the older ones jump up in price to over 100 and only seem to go higher.

[quote name='smackinisaiah']OH man! That's exactly what I was looking for. Well, now I feel like a jackass. But thank you for the head's up. And thanks everyone for the input. I made some changes to accommodate the errors. If you see anymore, please let me know. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

It's no problem, it looks like the info you have in your OP is quite a bit more detailed than what is over there. I'd say go ahead and move it all over to that thread, and if you're interested in keeping this up for other new releases you'd be welcome to in that thread. It doesn't look like anyone is really managing that thread at this point.

Amazon customer service just told me via chat that I would receive the Final Hours content with my Collector's Edition. I hope they are right.

Is the Tomb Raider controller promo at BB In store only? I just tried checking out with the game and the controller but the price stayed at $59.99.

[quote name='WViking']Amazon customer service just told me via chat that I would receive the Final Hours content with my Collector's Edition. I hope they are right.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm then it seems like the art book will just be a stand alone throw in, and not actually packaged with the game(via slipcover). Lame. Don't see how it would be any different with the standard edition. I wonder how the Best buy Book will be bundled in...

damn, decisions decisions.

[quote name='Oboogie188']Is the Tomb Raider controller promo at BB In store only? I just tried checking out with the game and the controller but the price stayed at $59.99.[/QUOTE]

The Tomb Raider controller is available at Best Buy AND GameStop. For some reason, I assumed the controller was exclusive to BBY because of the deal. I haven't tried packaging the two in the cart but I just saw in this thread here that it's $20 off when purchased with the game.

[quote name='WViking']Amazon customer service just told me via chat that I would receive the Final Hours content with my Collector's Edition. I hope they are right.[/QUOTE]

That is damn strange. Spoke to "Marissa" over at Amazon chat and they told me it was a separate deal. Who to believe??? Oh well.

As for the art book, my understanding is that it is included in the slipcover of the Final Hours edition. Once again, I may be wrong.

Dã g?n h?t nh?ng ngÃ$y tháng riêng an choi rong ru?i.
Chúc các b?n lÃ$m vi?c t?p trung vÃ$ hi?u qu?.
Cùng tay chung s?c xây d?ng di?n dÃ$n nhé.
Trân Tr?ng

[quote name='budarc']That is damn strange. Spoke to "Marissa" over at Amazon chat and they told me it was a separate deal. Who to believe??? Oh well.

As for the art book, my understanding is that it is included in the slipcover of the Final Hours edition. Once again, I may be wrong.[/QUOTE]

I really have not much of an idea, but from the things I read online, I'm assuming it'll be either just shipped with the game, or wrapped together with the game itself. Regardless, it seems MOST of the DLC is going to be provided by email or codes printed on receipt. I'm not 100% positive on ALL stores. Can anyone confirm?

[quote name='budarc']That is damn strange. Spoke to "Marissa" over at Amazon chat and they told me it was a separate deal. Who to believe??? Oh well.

As for the art book, my understanding is that it is included in the slipcover of the Final Hours edition. Once again, I may be wrong.[/QUOTE]

I don't know either. I guess I will find out on Tuesday when my box arrives. I assume the art book will be thrown in with the collector's edition inside of the shipping box.

When I pre ordered Medal of Honor Warfighter (bleh), my tin case was just thrown in the box along the game. They were not packaged together, but separately inside the same shipping box. I assume that the art book would be packaged similar.

Anyway, I like this collector's edition even if the pre order content is not included.

Heres a better look at the figure with the collectors edition if anyone is on the fence. Its going to be an amazing piece. I actually specialize in action figures (part of what I do for a living) and I know Play arts very well, and they do not disappoint, especially as of late. There earlier stuff was a little rocky though, so some may have a bad taste in their mouths with the play arts.

SDCC12SETRLrCrft.jpg

lara-croft-statue.jpg

00.jpg

Play-Arts-Kai-Tomb-Raider-Lara-Croft-2_1355324384.jpg

But I highly recommend them. The painting, detail, and poseability are more than what you'd typically find in a video game collectors edition statue. The other day a gamestop employee had the nerve to tell me how much better a cheap statue would be than this "toy" He clearly has no idea what level of quality it will be, So I had to educate him a little bit so he could have a better understanding of what he deals with at his job. Character Statues like the uncharted 3 nathan, the Max Payne, and the upcoming Kratos statue just pale in comparison.

So the $50-70 value figure plus the game and extras is totally worth it if anyone is on the fence. I would get it IF i had the money, but I just don't right now. There will be another Lara figure released separately later down the line, with paint variations (blue shirt) and different accessories, so if you miss out on the collectors, then you can grab the figure later. I have a feeling this may become harder to obtain, because of the figures paint differences. It will just become a rarer collectors piece that happens to be in the collectors edition for this game.

I have $30 in Target GC, so I'm kinda stuck getting the game at Target because it just makes sense to save, right? However, I also have it preordered at Best Buy, so I'm pretty stoked to get the Aviatrix (the only skin I could give a shit about) and the comic. Someone already mentioned this previously and I couldn't agree more. Art books are sweet but after a couple flips through, you shelve it, or sell it. With the comic, it's 48 pages of story leading up to the game. Not only would it be cool to get that added depth in the story through another form of media, but imo, it's value is more in the long run. I'm looking forward to that $20 RZ certificate and those 120 RZ points. With the points I've got now, that'll give me a $5 GC that I can throw on Bioshock. But yeah, I'll just end up selling a copy and keep the steel book and the Best Buy DLC and have myself a win win situation amirite?

[quote name='tylerh1701']It's no problem, it looks like the info you have in your OP is quite a bit more detailed than what is over there. I'd say go ahead and move it all over to that thread, and if you're interested in keeping this up for other new releases you'd be welcome to in that thread. It doesn't look like anyone is really managing that thread at this point.[/QUOTE]

Should I move over there and take over, or should I just elaborate on and evolve this one? I always feel weird just hopping in someone else's project and taking over. I would want to change a bit to the format.

[quote name='smackinisaiah']The Tomb Raider controller is available at Best Buy AND GameStop. For some reason, I assumed the controller was exclusive to BBY because of the deal. I haven't tried packaging the two in the cart but I just saw in this thread here that it's $20 off when purchased with the game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link! It seems the BB promo doesn't start until sunday the 3rd. I guess I'll wait til then and try it again.

Ugh, after seeing Conan play this game, it looks pretty awesome and I'm a sucker for art books buuut this game will likely go into my backlog right away. But then again, I have about $40 in Amazon credit and if I get it now, the MP will be more active. Ahhh, fuck it, I'm buyin it and I'll just start playing it as soon as I get it. As long as I platinum it before it drops in price, I'm good.

[quote name='smackinisaiah']I have $30 in Target GC, so I'm kinda stuck getting the game at Target because it just makes sense to save, right? However, I also have it preordered at Best Buy, so I'm pretty stoked to get the Aviatrix (the only skin I could give a shit about) and the comic. Someone already mentioned this previously and I couldn't agree more. Art books are sweet but after a couple flips through, you shelve it, or sell it. With the comic, it's 48 pages of story leading up to the game. Not only would it be cool to get that added depth in the story through another form of media, but imo, it's value is more in the long run. I'm looking forward to that $20 RZ certificate and those 120 RZ points. With the points I've got now, that'll give me a $5 GC that I can throw on Bioshock. But yeah, I'll just end up selling a copy and keep the steel book and the Best Buy DLC and have myself a win win situation amirite?[/QUOTE]

Oh, whoops, I kept reading the comic being as part 1 of six rather than a six part comic in one issue. That combined with the $20 RZ GC means I'll buy it from Best Buy and I'll just buy the regular artbook and hope it has the same content as the Amazon exclusive one.

I'm going with BB for the $20 RWZ cert, I was going to skip it and wait until a significant price drop happened but after reading some revwies I decided to pick it up.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Ahhh, fuck it, I'm buyin it and I'll just start playing it as soon as I get it. As long as I platinum it before it drops in price, I'm good.[/QUOTE]

Hope you're a multiplayer kinda guy cause I read that those trophies alone can take up to 55 hours to obtain. :lol:

bread's done
Back