Retron 5 Coming Soon! GEN, MD, NES, FC, SNES, SFC, GB, GBC, GBA

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Retron 5 releases after June 2013. Supposed to be less than $100. Comes with 2 controllers. Can save games to cart, console, or card. 720P upscaling.

KillerRamen said:
Hyperkin revealed the Retron 5 at the Midwest Gaming Classic today and it looks like I was right about quite a bit of it.

Screen-Shot-2013-03-22-at-4.41.56-PM-618x341.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GAk0HWCZH8

It will have dedicated slots for NES, SNES, Genesis, GameBoy AND Famicom games. The GameBoy slot will play GB, GBC and GBA games.
It will be able to play PAL Games
It will come with a Bluetooth Controller with six face buttons and two shoulder buttons. It will be able to support 4 controllers.
It will have six ports to use the original controllers and you will be able to use any controller for any console.
It will be the first clone to use software emulation as opposed to hardware emulation that's not a dedicated tv-game console like the Atari Flashback 3.
It will be powered by an ARM Chip, not a NES on a chip.
It has an HDMI port, RCA ports and a rear USB port.
It has its own interface that will allow for game saves, programmable buttons, cheat codes and overclocking games.
It will autosave when you turn off the console.
It will be using some sort of digital program to help improve the sound as well as video scaling.
No release date or pricing was announced

http://slashdot.org/topic/cloud/retron-5-plays-cartridges-from-five-classic-consoles/

I'm really excited about this release! This looks like the executive level clone that I've been dreaming of! :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those sound like some pretty nice features. I am especially intrigued by the HD upscaling. Playing classic consoles on my flat screen through composite cables always looks like crap. Having some nice, accurate pixel scaling, and possibly multiple options for that scaling, would be really nice.

I would like to hear more about the features of this fami-clone. If its interface and upscaling are good enough, I would be willing to drop around $100 on it.

Cautiously optimistic. If I find out this can properly emulate SNES games - the music NEVER seems to be 100% - then I'll get one. I love my old systems but a quality clone would suffice.

Yeah... This is probably a day one purchase for me. I know it's not going to be perfect, but getting these games over an HDMI connection is just too awesome. I really hope they do a good job on it and don't go cheap on materials like so many other clones.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Those sound like some pretty nice features. I am especially intrigued by the HD upscaling. Playing classic consoles on my flat screen through composite cables always looks like crap. Having some nice, accurate pixel scaling, and possibly multiple options for that scaling, would be really nice.

I would like to hear more about the features of this fami-clone. If its interface and upscaling are good enough, I would be willing to drop around $100 on it.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I know people have been trying to mod their NES systems to do HDMI with some success, but a well made clone with HDMI would be more ideal for me since I really don't like doing that kind of stuff to older consoles. http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=92557

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of a system they use. I've been thinking that someone eventually is going to use an ARM processor for NES/SNES emulation eventually and it almost sounds like that's what they're doing if it's going to have an independent operating system with save features.
(They've been using ARM chips for the Flashback 3 and 4)

It's probably not going to play that Speedy Gonzales game any better than usual, since I heard only byuu's emulator works with it.

I'm shocked by the GBA support, but I guess it would be nice for those without a GB player. Promising HDMI and Bluetooth sounds like it's going to be $100 easy at retail. If Hyperkin bothered to make great controllers, it could be worth the loftier tag.

Im really excited about this.....i run all my consoles with s-video outputs on a upscaler (composite-svideo to hdmi) and its look great on HD television, but composite on the same scaler it doesnt look good , lately i have been playin my NES only on emulators beacuse i cant stand how it looks on the tv (I miss my CRT)... if Retro 4 does a good job upscaling the NES game i will buy one hands down......

Are these newer retro consoles better than they have been in the past? Some of that stuff sounds real nice but given how most of these are cheaply made in China, they always seem to have a lot of problems.

I have a Retro Dou but the shitty audio in NES games and compatibility issues with some very common games makes makes it kinda pointless. I'd much rather have a NES and SNES around so I don't have to deal with those issues.

If it does work with no audio issues I would consider grabbing one for flea market finds. There are a ton of old games around here if you know where to look.

Retron 4 will be launching end of March 2013. Updated.

[quote name='Vinny']Are these newer retro consoles better than they have been in the past? Some of that stuff sounds real nice but given how most of these are cheaply made in China, they always seem to have a lot of problems.

I have a Retro Dou but the shitty audio in NES games and compatibility issues with some very common games makes makes it kinda pointless. I'd much rather have a NES and SNES around so I don't have to deal with those issues.[/QUOTE]

If I recall correctly the Retron 3 has been known to be better than the Retro Duo. I forget how much better and the details though. To me, this Retron 4 might be the first Clone model that surpasses the original consoles.

[quote name='Vinny']Are these newer retro consoles better than they have been in the past? Some of that stuff sounds real nice but given how most of these are cheaply made in China, they always seem to have a lot of problems.[/QUOTE]

Well, they are produced cheaply in China, so the build quality is never going to be what you would get out of an official Nintendo product. (which are all know for being tanks)

At the same time, I believe that they have been managing to make improvements with each iteration. The Retron 3 is apparently able to play Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse without any problems. (a common compatibility hiccup with past fami-clones) So it seems Hyperkin has actually been improving on their designs as they've come out with newer versions.

It wouldn't hurt to read some reviews and first-hand accounts before dropping money on any of these. But their low price often makes them worth it if you already collect old cartridges. Having a device around that can play all of those old games helps keep shelf space free, and reduces wear-and-tear on the original consoles themselves.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Well, they are produced cheaply in China, so the build quality is never going to be what you would get out of an official Nintendo product. (which are all know for being tanks)

At the same time, I believe that they have been managing to make improvements with each iteration. The Retron 3 is apparently able to play Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse without any problems. (a common compatibility hiccup with past fami-clones) So it seems Hyperkin has actually been improving on their designs as they've come out with newer versions.

It wouldn't hurt to read some reviews and first-hand accounts before dropping money on any of these. But their low price often makes them worth it if you already collect old cartridges. Having a device around that can play all of those old games helps keep shelf space free, and reduces wear-and-tear on the original consoles themselves.[/QUOTE]

I did read quite a few reviews and at the time, it was the best overall. Pretty much every review noted the audio issues but I didn't think I'd notice them. But when I fired up my first NES game, it definitely stands out.

[quote name='Vinny']Are these newer retro consoles better than they have been in the past? Some of that stuff sounds real nice but given how most of these are cheaply made in China, they always seem to have a lot of problems.

I have a Retro Dou but the shitty audio in NES games and compatibility issues with some very common games makes makes it kinda pointless. I'd much rather have a NES and SNES around so I don't have to deal with those issues.[/QUOTE]

Based on the features and the limited amount of information they've been giving out, it does seem like they're trying to make their product better. The clones do have problems and are more of a novelty right now, but I do feel that they have been getting better and the picture (well, partial picture) of the Retron 4 console does look pretty sweet.

As retro-gamers are getting older and have more disposable income, I think that there is a market for a high quality clone (especially one with HDMI). Hopefully this is it, but we're really going to have to wait and see.

Looking forward to finding out more on this upcoming clone system. The HDMI is a definite draw, and I'm hoping they've improved on any compatibility (and sound) issues from the previous systems.

I'm probably in for one. I have a retro duo and the retro gen. Its kind of anoying. The gba function would be cool too. I've only heard GBA compatible though. not a big deal. most gbc games I didn't have an interest in, an GB games can be played threw the snes adapter. (I mostly play rpg's, and the gbc didnt have much selection)

the hdmi isn't a big deal for me, but if it can make the picture better on my flat screen, +1

Hyperkin revealed the Retron 5 at the Midwest Gaming Classic today and it looks like I was right about quite a bit of it.

Screen-Shot-2013-03-22-at-4.41.56-PM-618x341.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GAk0HWCZH8

It will have dedicated slots for NES, SNES, Genesis, GameBoy AND Famicom games. The GameBoy slot will play GB, GBC and GBA games.
It will be able to play PAL Games
It will come with a Bluetooth Controller with six face buttons and two shoulder buttons. It will be able to support 4 controllers.
It will have six ports to use the original controllers and you will be able to use any controller for any console.
It will be the first clone to use software emulation as opposed to hardware emulation that's not a dedicated tv-game console like the Atari Flashback 3.
It will be powered by an ARM Chip, not a NES on a chip.
It has an HDMI port, RCA ports and a rear USB port.
It has its own interface that will allow for game saves, programmable buttons, cheat codes and overclocking games.
It will autosave when you turn off the console.
It will be using some sort of digital program to help improve the sound as well as video scaling.
No release date or pricing was announced

http://slashdot.org/topic/cloud/retron-5-plays-cartridges-from-five-classic-consoles/

I'm really excited about this release! This looks like the executive level clone that I've been dreaming of! :bouncy:

Whoa, that 5 definitely looks sweet. Agree with Strell that I don't want the 4 now either, hopefully the date/price stuff gets announced soon.

Ah, was unaware of that. I never picked up one of these new "retro" styled consoles before so never really looked into them that much. Thanks for the clarification though, I suppose it wouldn't make sense to release this before the 4 was even out if it was a separate console.

Thank you KillerRamen, added your info to the OP.

Wow awesome! No more worrying about save batteries ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Supposed to be less than $100! Controller dpad looks more like a digital analog pad, that sucks. Everything else is awesome though.

[quote name='J7.']Controller dpad looks more like a digital analog pad, that sucks. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, not wild about the look of the dpad. But if I can use stock controllers, then that's not such a big deal.

Very cool info on the Retron 5! I'm very much looking forward to picking one up. And the ability to play GB and GBC games is a nice added feature as well. I'm with most of you that I'll prefer using my original controllers.

That console looks like shit. The controller looks like shit. But those features are too hard to pass up on... ARM chip and software emulation will likely mean the system will have much better compatibility and AV quality the past consoles.

It'll probably be very expensive but I want it.

I hear the upscaling is going to be 720p and it may release as early as July and they may be looking into N64/PS1 emulation when those system's patents expire, don't know when that is though.

[quote name='KillerRamen']This is the 4th Retron Console. It's now being called the Retron 5 and not the Retron 4.[/QUOTE]

The number refers to the amount of cart slots it has, not the order it was released.

The retron 2, for example, came out after the retron 3.

It's pretty much all of my retro console dreams come true. I had been hankering for a clone system that would let me try out famicom and super famicom titles. Import collection scene, here I come!

Yeah, this clone is going to be a day-one purchase for me. It has everything I would want.

This thing sounds amazing. I want to get some flash carts and go to fucking town.

I'm also intensely curious how the upscaling will look in person and in action.

[quote name='Vinny']It'll probably be very expensive but I want it.[/QUOTE]

Their unveiling video that came out of the Midwest Gaming Classic made mention it would be under $100.

Wow thanks for posting my video of the Retron 5 announcement. I also sat down with David from Hyperkin and we spoke about the system. David will be on podcast in a few weeks to talk about the Retron 5 again and when it will be released.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2OOKsMTzME&feature=share&list=PL9jVb-GwYGl4TNds__ouSiuuQyLAgh0qU[/youtube]

Wow thanks for posting my video of the Retron 5 announcement. I also sat down with David from Hyperkin and we spoke about the system. David will be on podcast in a few weeks to talk about the Retron 5 again and when it will be released.
Oh, wow, you're welcome. I'm gonna watch this interview. Look forward to any more information you have! Can't wait for Retron 5!

I just got confirmation that David from Hyperkin will be on my podcast on the 12th :) We will be talking more about the Retron5

Me too, last I had heard they are pushing it back to this fall. You know I will ask him when he is on. I guess I should ask the community what you want me to ask him... I don't think I can make posts yet

I have 2 questions. One, have they ever thought of releasing a flash cart or rereleasing old games on cartridge by acquiring a license from the publishers, for ex: rerelease Final Fantasy 6 on SNES Cart for $19.99-29.99. Two, have they considered creating online play support for games on Retron 5, basically tricking the hardware into thinking there are 2 local players via the internet like an emulator does?

I thought this was going to be released end of summer? Well?
Hyperkin has gone on record stating that it is "done when it's done." While they were originally shooting for a summer release date, they have not provided an actual release date, and still haven't. At the moment, it is still expected to arrive this year, but there remains no firm release date.

It is likely that they are still tweaking and testing the design at this point, and haven't finished the system to their satisfaction. It is understandable that they would want to get this one right. From the fan reaction, this could be their flagship product for the next few years. It will also help to drive sales of the reproduction classic controllers Hyperkin produces. It's a good idea to give this one a little more time in the oven, as opposed to rushing it to production.

I too am disappointed by them dragging their feet on the release date. At the same time, I applaud them for not bending to pressure and crapping out a half-baked product. I am very much looking forward to this device.

Amazon pre-order dates are never hard-and-fast. Until Hyperkin themselves makes an announcement, I'm assuming that there is no release date yet.

Just preordered it earlier, I tried out my SNES last weekend to test out a new game I got only to find out the damn thing wasn't working good (last time I played it was a little over a year ago) had to clean the contacts with an official cleaning kit and it worked fine.  Problem is now, I had to fire Castlevania 4, like 15-20 times before it worked then it froze, locked up, I had issues with Simon only whipping when I pressed left on the controller and down to jump(?!?!) and other oddities.  Tried Secret of Evermore (the game I bought) and after many failed attempts it finally worked too.  (didn't want to delete the saved files accidentally)  Sounds like the game connector in the system is failing from what I read.

But after that crap, I decided to look into a cheap clone (don't want 20+ year old hardware that might or might not work anymore) and was about to get a Retron 3, until I read the Retron 5 was on the way.  Hopefully it makes the release date, then I'll be more apt to play more retro stuff on that system on the HD TV's then I have been in the past.

Just preordered it earlier, I tried out my SNES last weekend to test out a new game I got only to find out the damn thing wasn't working good (last time I played it was a little over a year ago) had to clean the contacts with an official cleaning kit and it worked fine. Problem is now, I had to fire Castlevania 4, like 15-20 times before it worked then it froze, locked up, I had issues with Simon only whipping when I pressed left on the controller and down to jump(?!?!) and other oddities. Tried Secret of Evermore (the game I bought) and after many failed attempts it finally worked too. (didn't want to delete the saved files accidentally) Sounds like the game connector in the system is failing from what I read.

But after that crap, I decided to look into a cheap clone (don't want 20+ year old hardware that might or might not work anymore) and was about to get a Retron 3, until I read the Retron 5 was on the way. Hopefully it makes the release date, then I'll be more apt to play more retro stuff on that system on the HD TV's then I have been in the past.
This is one of the main reasons I kind of want this Retron 5. I have had all my old school systems in storage for more than a year now. I really don't want to mess with the systems not working properly. Another reason being able to play them on an HDTV.

It is a shame that you can't run games from the SD card slot, but that might cut into sales of Virtual Console games and other re-releases.

I wish it looked like the Super Retro Trio. 
super_retro_trio.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

What color Retron 5 do you want?

How did everyone else do on the preorder. I snagged mine right when it was announced and before it even hit the message boards here. BUT... Amazon is still saying likely ship date won't happen till Jan 7th-10th :whistle2:s

I preordered one for me and another for my sister for Xmas. A little annoyed with that. Did anyone else have a better experience or is this normal. (I'm also a Prime member)

bread's done
Back