Newegg: Ni No Kuni $51 + FS Code: 15OFFRPG

Ni No Kuni gives me hope that the JRPG genre can finally make a long-awaited comeback - that it can move from niche back to mainstream.

The game is really good; its a bit kiddy in story, characters, etc but thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Hopefully other more T/M rated JRPGs come out on the market. (would love Final Fantasy to make a comeback; havnt had a really good one since IX or X IMO...)

I picked it up for 39.xx used from GS and I would say its worth it....and this is coming from a guy who rarely pays over 10 bucks for a game.

Bought it for full price, don't regret it for a second: this game is truly a masterpiece of the genre, and manages to actually instill some hope for the future of the genre as a whole.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']Ni No Kuni gives me hope that the JRPG genre can finally make a long-awaited comeback - that it can move from niche back to mainstream.

The game is really good; its a bit kiddy in story, characters, etc but thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Hopefully other more T/M rated JRPGs come out on the market. (would love Final Fantasy to make a comeback; havnt had a really good one since IX or X IMO...)

I picked it up for 39.xx used from GS and I would say its worth it....and this is coming from a guy who rarely pays over 10 bucks for a game.[/QUOTE]

If you really want them to make a comeback, buy them NEW.

I'm about 30 hours into the game. It's good. The game is absolutely beautiful. It's a bit drawn out even for a JRPG. The side quests are pretty unimportant so I just skip the text on most of them. It's basically, "go kill X guys", "go collect the item", "go get some emotion and give it to me", that sort of thing. They have nothing to do with the actual story and most of them are sort of one-offs.

Another flaw in the game, too much dialogue. The beginning is absolutely annoying with the forced tutorials. Even outside of the beginning of the game I've found myself skipping through some regular story dialogue because....well...you don't need 5-8 pages of text (even if it's only 3 lines per "page") to say, "Hey we need to get that item that's over there for the main story". It's especially annoying when they essentially rephrase the same thing multiple times.

Don't let the fact that I think there are issues stop you from playing it, I'm enjoying the game and think it's quite good. One of the best JRPG's this generation. It's pretty telling that my biggest complaints are about the dialogue and not about something like "too many random battles" which most JRPG's suffer from. In other words, I have no issues with the gameplay.

bread's done
Back