Valkyria Chronicles PS3 $16.88 Amazon

[quote name='Wompdevil']Trophies be damned, this game is amazing and more than worth the price[/QUOTE]

Agreed. One of the best SRPGs out there.

I hadn't been following it closely, but last time I checked it was ~$20 on Amazon. In any case, this is an amazing game that'll give you more than your money's worth. I strongly encourage people to purchase. Plus, you're also making an excellent investment; more VC and VC2 sales is more ammunition for the localization of future VC titles, of which we are [sadly] missing one.

My first CAG purchase was this game when it was 20$ at gamestop long long time ago.

Very awesome game indeed i bought all the dlc and played valkyria 2 on psp (didnt like that one so much.. Wish they kept it on ps3!!!) i wished they made more dlc for this game.

Awesome game. I didn't get it for a while but am definitely glad I played this.

I just can't believe that Sega isn't making money off of this that they only released VC2 on the PSP and didn't even bother with VC3.

[quote name='sixteenvolt420']One game i just could not get into.[/QUOTE]
I played the demo. It was fine but I don't feel any overwhelming desire to play it. I'm not surprised you couldn't get into it. It's an SRPG which is a very niche genre and most people hate it. As you can see by the posts here though, the people that like it will come out and claim the games in it are the best of all time (also see Fire Emblem fanatics). In the end, it's just a game and not really better than all other games unless this is your favorite genre.

[quote name='Vinny']Awesome game. I didn't get it for a while but am definitely glad I played this.

I just can't believe that Sega isn't making money off of this that they only released VC2 on the PSP and didn't even bother with VC3.[/QUOTE]

I think the story was VC1 was profitable, but VC2 was so bad that they didnt bother with VC3.

[quote name='Blaster man']I played the demo. It was fine but I don't feel any overwhelming desire to play it. I'm not surprised you couldn't get into it. It's an SRPG which is a very niche genre and most people hate it. As you can see by the posts here though, the people that like it will come out and claim the games in it are the best of all time (also see Fire Emblem fanatics). In the end, it's just a game and not really better than all other games unless this is your favorite genre.[/QUOTE]

Wow, way to thread crap, particularly with generalizations you can't back up.

Yeah, not everyone is going to like it. There are people who hate the "anime" (god, how I hate that generalization) aspect to it, and think some aspects of the story are too fluffy by far. And yes, it is an SRPG, so if you don't really like that genre you might not like this either, tho it does have some aspects that make it stand out from the crowd.

That being said, it is the most fun I've had with an SRPG since the original X-Com.

[quote name='Blaster man']I played the demo. It was fine but I don't feel any overwhelming desire to play it. I'm not surprised you couldn't get into it. It's an SRPG which is a very niche genre and most people hate it. As you can see by the posts here though, the people that like it will come out and claim the games in it are the best of all time (also see Fire Emblem fanatics). In the end, it's just a game and not really better than all other games unless this is your favorite genre.[/QUOTE]

I'd hardly agree that the game fits into the same niche as many anime-style SRPGs of the genre; VC (the first one, at least) is every much an accessible title as any other AAA game on the PS3. I'm not going to claim it's the best of all time, but regardless that's a matter of opinion and not necessarily restricted to "fanatics" of any franchise. I, personally, am not a huge fan of SRPGs, but I find VC to be a very strong game overall.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Wow, way to thread crap, particularly with generalizations you can't back up.

Yeah, not everyone is going to like it. There are people who hate the "anime" (god, how I hate that generalization) aspect to it, and think some aspects of the story are too fluffy by far. And yes, it is an SRPG, so if you don't really like that genre you might not like this either, tho it does have some aspects that make it stand out from the crowd.

That being said, it is the most fun I've had with an SRPG since the original X-Com.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mention anime. I liked anime and I'm currently playing Ni No Kuni and enjoying it. This particular game is an SRPG. I would play it but not for the current price. I do think it's important that people understand more about the game than "ZOMG ITS THE BEST GAME OF THE GEN!" considering the genre is typically considered even more niche than the typical JRPG's.

[quote name='BigPoeticCanine']I'd hardly agree that the game fits into the same niche as many anime-style SRPGs of the genre; VC (the first one, at least) is every much an accessible title as any other AAA game on the PS3. I'm not going to claim it's the best of all time, but regardless that's a matter of opinion and not necessarily restricted to "fanatics" of any franchise. I, personally, am not a huge fan of SRPGs, but I find VC to be a very strong game overall.[/QUOTE]
Again, I didn't mention anime at all. I like anime cartoons and I'm playing Ni No Kuni. Now that you mention the sequel though, i don't own a PSP and never plan on getting one so it's kind of a bummer to think of playing a game that has a continuing story then never playing the rest of the story. That's a huge turn off.

edit: I should add this to anyone that thinks they want this but they're not sure. I've been waiting for this to be $10 for a long time. It doesn't look like it's going to happen and prices on eBay have been ~20 for the last couple of years even though it's been available on newegg for 15.99 that entire time. So you can easily get your money back if you don't like it and the game could very well go up to the 30-40 range in a year or two now that it's finally sold out at retail (unless they do a 3rd printing of it). So I do think the risk involved in a purchase is pretty small.

[quote name='Blaster man']I believe it had been 15.99 at Newegg for about the last year or two. They're sold out now. I've been waiting for $10 which might not happen so I'm going to skip the game.[/QUOTE]

I understand trying to wait it out, but altogether skipping this game for what equates to the difference of a Happy Meal (if your resources allow for it) is a crime against video gaming.

[quote name='JMClarkent']I understand trying to wait it out, but altogether skipping this game for what equates to the difference of a Happy Meal (if your resources allow for it) is a crime against video gaming.[/QUOTE]

People make these comparisons but when you're buying...I don't know...50 games a year? A happy meal per game tends to add up.

I'll probably break down and buy it since it's now sold out at newegg and that was the last retail location it was available at. The price was going up quickly prior to the second printing so while it probably won't go up that fast, I feel secure buying it and being able to get my money back (as mentioned above). It's not as bad as Xenoblade Chronicle which I had to pay $50 for.

For VC, honestly the demo sucks. But it's a worthwhile game, even if you're not all that into S-RPGs.

[quote name='Blaster man'] I like anime cartoons and I'm playing Ni No Kuni. [/QUOTE]

Ghibli is about as representative of anime as Family Circus is of all Western comics. Like it all you want, but don't pretend its Disney-like focus even encapsulates a small portion of what anime is.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']For VC, honestly the demo sucks. But it's a worthwhile game, even if you're not all that into S-RPGs.

Ghibli is about as representative of anime as Family Circus is of all Western comics. Like it all you want, but don't pretend its Disney-like focus even encapsulates a small portion of what anime is.[/QUOTE]

I think Ghibili is definitely anime and certainly along the lines of what most people think of. Look at the protaganist in the game or in most of the movies. I also enjoyed Rahxephon, is that anime enough for you? It's much better than the similar but overrated Neon Genesis Evangelion.

[quote name='venturin']Best game of this generation[/QUOTE]

Oh please. It's good but that's a ridiculous statement. Also, I wish they had bothered to patch in Trophies. :cry:

[quote name='Blaster man']I didn't mention anime.[/QUOTE]

That wasn't directed at you. That was directed at common criticisms of the game.

[quote name='TheLongshot']That wasn't directed at you. That was directed at common criticisms of the game.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know that was a criticism of the game. My main problem is that it's an SRPG. For some reason the PS3 is completely slammed with SRPGs. It's pretty strange that the system has so many of them and so few JRPG's.

Well... I broke down and bought it so I could at least say I have an excellent PS3 exclusives collection. Besides, I do plan to get through my old non-trophy games someday... like Folklore, Lair, Heavenly Sword, even the poor old abandoned IP Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom, which was damn good. Just playing games without Trophies/Achieves is damn hard, even though I thought my Wii U had got me over it.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Well... I broke down and bought it so I could at least say I have an excellent PS3 exclusives collection. Besides, I do plan to get through my old non-trophy games someday... like Folklore, Lair, Heavenly Sword, even the poor old abandoned IP Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom, which was damn good. Just playing games without Trophies/Achieves is damn hard, even though I thought my Wii U had got me over it.[/QUOTE]
I had Untold Legends and thought it was absolutely horrible. I resold it after barely playing a couple of hours. Completely subpar IMO and not at all worth your time if you have a backlog. Folklore was good but don't waste your money on any of the DLC. It's ALL a waste of money. Heavenly Sword...eh...averagish but super short, you should just play that to get it out of the backlog, it's like 6 hours long. Never plaid Lair after I heard people saying it wasn't good.

[quote name='Blaster man']I had Untold Legends and thought it was absolutely horrible. I resold it after barely playing a couple of hours. Completely subpar IMO and not at all worth your time if you have a backlog. Folklore was good but don't waste your money on any of the DLC. It's ALL a waste of money. Heavenly Sword...eh...averagish but super short, you should just play that to get it out of the backlog, it's like 6 hours long. Never plaid Lair after I heard people saying it wasn't good.[/QUOTE]

Well your comments might explain why I've only played an hour or two of each game before putting it down. :applause: I thought Dark Kingdom was fun last time I played it in like... 2008, but I'm a sucker for ARPG, and sadly between launch and Diablo 3 on PS3, Dark Kingdom will be THE CLOSEST THING TO AN ARPG on the PS3 if you don't count that lame Dungeon Hunter. Which is sad. I'm sorry, hate all you want on Dark Kingdom, but its better than Dungeon Hunter!

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Well your comments might explain why I've only played an hour or two of each game before putting it down. :applause: I thought Dark Kingdom was fun last time I played it in like... 2008, but I'm a sucker for ARPG, and sadly between launch and Diablo 3 on PS3, Dark Kingdom will be THE CLOSEST THING TO AN ARPG on the PS3 if you don't count that lame Dungeon Hunter. Which is sad. I'm sorry, hate all you want on Dark Kingdom, but its better than Dungeon Hunter![/QUOTE]

There's still Dungeon Siege 3. It's rather average though.

[quote name='Blaster man']

edit: I should add this to anyone that thinks they want this but they're not sure. I've been waiting for this to be $10 for a long time. It doesn't look like it's going to happen and prices on eBay have been ~20 for the last couple of years even though it's been available on newegg for 15.99 that entire time. So you can easily get your money back if you don't like it and the game could very well go up to the 30-40 range in a year or two now that it's finally sold out at retail (unless they do a 3rd printing of it). So I do think the risk involved in a purchase is pretty small.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have to agree. About $17 for this game new is probably as good as it's going to get.

Best Buy's my go-to store for gaming, but I can't even price match this because they don't even carry this new anymore. Even getting this used, if you can find it there, is $18.
I don't think any retailers carry this new anymore, so clearance prices are unlikely. And it's a 2008 niche game so prices for this new on eBay will definitely skyrocket.

Best to pick this up & throw it in the backlog.

I think this was the 2nd ps3 game I owned after MGS4. Picked it up New at walmart in 2009 for $19.99 and still haven't played it.

Glad to own it. Price difference is so small from when I got it which makes me happy. I like to catch games as depreciated as they'll go.

I personally think this is one of the best, if not the best overall game that has come to America from Japan this generation (and definitely the best, if not one of the best games that Sega has their name attached to).

As a fan of SRPGs, this game does an excellent job of masking the traditional approach to turn-based strategy games with the "illusion" of real-time, so it doesn't feel as slow (although the time investment per battle is roughly on par). The way they approached unit movement and battle also feels a lot more engaging and immersive than what most people are used to (i.e. Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, etc.). They do a lot of smart tweaks to the system that streamline the experience and highly reduce the grinding aspect of turn-based SRPGs that I hate so much.

For those of you worried that you'll have to use your brain (yes, there are people out there who don't like thinking when playing video games), nothing in this game really makes you think and you can kind of abuse certain (very obvious) units/strategies the entire game (you may have to think if you're trying to get S rank on every mission without reading up on how to do it though). To be fair though, outside of puzzle games, video games are not a good source of intellectual stimulation.

I normally don't post my thoughts in these forums on things like this, because I realize that in the end, this is entirely subjective, but at that price point, you'll be hard pressed to find a better value per dollar anywhere else on any system. Unless you're living in poverty or have gaming as a very low priority in your hierarchy of hobbies, you really can't go wrong with this purchase. For those of you who are just not a fan of these types of games, well, it wouldn't have mattered how low this game got in price, so just move along.

With the PS4 out at the end of the year, some titles are going to start getting more and more difficult to find. I think VC will be one of those titles that will slowly get more expensive. Not really rare like the craziness happening with Xenoblade Chronicles, but not easy to even find a $25 gutted copy at GS. On the other hand, there's always digital.

Also, I'd buy a copy of a localized VC3. I think it would be a nice swan song title for the PSP. Doubt it will happen though.

I sold my used copy awhile ago, but still have a copy sealed. I might get another one to play again as I'm itching to get into the game once more.

Alright, question. I got VC2 on PSN since it was $10 & I've been enjoying it (though I've noticed some missions to finish the chapter/month tend to have a rather annoying difficulty spike that make me go back & grind). How much different is the original compared to the sequel?

Granted, this is still very tempting as it was one of the first games that made me want to get a PS3 & I've got $36 in Amazon credit.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA'] [video sample][/QUOTE]

thanks, this really drew me in. I'm gonna have to get it.. maybe.

EDIT: By the way, there is no demo for this game. Don't waste your time looking like I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great game. I bought it a few years ago at $30 and would highly recommend it.

Regardless of what others have said about it being a "niche" title, it's a very approachable game, much more so than most strategy RPG's. Even if you've never played another game in the genre before, you shouldn't have any difficulty in understanding and playing it.

bread's done
Back