Kmart closing thread:10-30 percent off.

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Well today I went to see one of the stores closing as my store hasn't been put on the list. Looks like the usual liquidation tags being posted all over the store. The one I went to was in Fairfax, VA and it's a freaking mess. Pretty much all Wii, PS3 and good 360 games are gone. No more point cards. There were a number of sub cards for the 360 but the system won't mark it down for some reason. Employee discounts won't kick in, which concerns me for when my store goes under. Gaming systems were at 10%

That's the only one I know of at this time going under.

Post the store in your area if it is going under. Usually if that store does not do layaways anymore it's a pretty good sign that they are next to be shut down. Mine stopped doing it like two weeks ago.

[quote name='evuong']Hmm, I live around Fairfax, are all the stores around here closing or just the Fairfax one?[/QUOTE]

From what I heard Fairfax at this time. Word is the walmart next to it killed it. I can't find an official list and since I only work 1 day a week now because of my other job I just get the news from co-workers or customers. It's crazy that they eliminated the Assistant Manager position a few weeks ago so a lot of people got canned. Oh well. I am at the point where I would not be surprised to walk in during my one day shift to find a sign saying "this store will be closing on ....". I am just going to stay til the end...

[quote name='ITDEFX']From what I heard Fairfax at this time. Word is the walmart next to it killed it. I can't find an official list and since I only work 1 day a week now because of my other job I just get the news from co-workers or customers. It's crazy that they eliminated the Assistant Manager position a few weeks ago so a lot of people got canned. Oh well. I am at the point where I would not be surprised to walk in during my one day shift to find a sign saying "this store will be closing on ....". I am just going to stay til the end...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, might as well. I'm surprised that k-mart has been around for as long as it has, everytime I go there, it's dead inside. Keep us posted on what you hear about the other kmarts!

2 K-Marts that are near me are busier than most, one is near a University and the other is in a shopping center around a large neighborhood, the ones I do see empty are the ones that have a Wal-Mart near them.

My Kmart was still too expensive when it was 50-70% off on everything which is probably why they closed down.

They never did any clearance at that store which was a shame for me, but good riddance. :*(

[quote name='ITDEFX']wow...I am really surprised Walmart is having a hard time taking out Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Really? It's not like Wal-Mart has the most knowledgeable employees on the television sets they offer at the store. lol.... Lets not forget to mention their not existent movies they have for sale or the lack of rollbacks in their case on the games. I see games from 4-5 years ago all the time, I recently went to one and they have CoD World at War CE.

[quote name='spmahn']Does anyone have the list of closing stores?[/QUOTE]
I am trying to find that out now from work..but I am only there once a week now so information is hard to come by.

Wasn't very impressed when a local kmart went out of business here. It wasn't even K-mart as the closing was being handled by a liquidation house. The prices even at 30% were higher then at nonclosing stores. Stuff we got during Kmart sales like Dragon Age 2 for $5 was marked up to full price of 19.99 with 30% off. It did look like a dumping ground for limited and CE editions that couldn't be sold else where as they had 8 Halo Reachs with the statues and a bunch of Fable 3's CE. Those still weren't worth getting at the insane full release prices. The highest it went was about 50% and at that level stuff was just starting to be priced well, but most was picked over by then. They also took 2 months to close the store here and 30% lasted for well over a month.

Stores closing will almost never have good deals until the last few days, and at that point most of the gems are being stashed for employees. The truth of the matter is if you named a store "Going out if Business" and had the sign spinners, 30-50% off banners and high prices you'd do better than most of the stores out there.

[quote name='ferant316']Stores closing will almost never have good deals until the last few days, and at that point most of the gems are being stashed for employees. The truth of the matter is if you named a store "Going out if Business" and had the sign spinners, 30-50% off banners and high prices you'd do better than most of the stores out there.[/QUOTE]

That is true. Also, its sad that kmart dont even price match their own site or at all. Sears you can, but kmart no.

Yeah it amazes me how when a store closes, people run to a store even when prices are horrible. When a KMart near me closed it started at 10% - 30% off. The store was empty before that the employees outnumbered the customers many days.

Suddenly when they started the closing sale, people were loading up their carts when at 10% - 20% off most items (only the stuff no one would want started at 30% off) and they were still almost twice as much as Target on some items. And even when it got to 50% off, because they didn't follow current clearance price drops the games still weren't any cheaper. A game that was $9.97 on clearance and then 50% off made it around $5 when at a non closing KMart the same game had dropped to $4.97.

The closest K-Mart around me closed years ago. Rarely bought anything there anyway. It closing might have been a good thing, as the store that replaced it, ShopRite grocery, is kicking every other grocery store's ass.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Yeah it amazes me how when a store closes, people run to a store even when prices are horrible. When a KMart near me closed it started at 10% - 30% off. The store was empty before that the employees outnumbered the customers many days.

Suddenly when they started the closing sale, people were loading up their carts when at 10% - 20% off most items (only the stuff no one would want started at 30% off) and they were still almost twice as much as Target on some items. And even when it got to 50% off, because they didn't follow current clearance price drops the games still weren't any cheaper. A game that was $9.97 on clearance and then 50% off made it around $5 when at a non closing KMart the same game had dropped to $4.97.[/QUOTE]

Yep doesn't make any sense to me who falls for these fake sales when you can do far better on end caps at Target every week. My only guess is never under estimate the herd mentality. It's probably also the reason I never find any good clearance deals at Wal-mart Super Centers around here.

bread's done
Back