Get 700 Free Comics from Marvel!

bfett9

CAGiversary!
Feedback
149 (100%)
A couple of weeks ago, Marvel launched a "Marvel First" teaser campaign. At SXSW, Marvel revealed what that was all about -- the publisher is giving away 700 free first issues via Comixology. Yes, 700.
http://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Free-First-Issues/comics-collection/1001/

Free only until Tuesday 3/12/13 , so get on it.

EDIT: Website is probably going to be a little overloaded, so maybe try later this evening or tomorrow morning but don't forget!

UPDATE 4/8/13
New promotion starting now until 4/11/13
https://promo.marvel.com/

Read details here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/08/get-700-free-marvel-comics-again

First-610x974.jpg

read more here:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/10/get-700-free-comics-from-marvel

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's crazy! 700 comics for free? This is almost as good as Free comic day. Let see if DC going to counteract this offer.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Do we get to keep the comics forever, or is it unreadable after 3/12/13?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it will be yours for as long as you have the account. I still got access to the free issues I've received in the past from various promotions.

[quote name='mitch079']Cool, site is slow to load but I'd expect it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it allows you to 'purchase' the comic books but download doesn't work well. All the same, I won't be able to dl all the 700 comic books on my phone at once, lol. At least the app opens way better than the site.

Are you using the iOS app? I never had to check out for any of them. Just clicked on the Free button, then it briefly says Purchasing, followed by Download or Read. On average, took about 5-10 seconds for each comic to be "purchased."

Comixology for iPad is working fine for me, although the app crashed twice. The total that I downloaded today is around 722.

Thanks a bunch, OP.

Only had 623 up for free that I saw (not that im complaining about this many freebies lol), but are there some i missed somewhere or is this the same amount the rest of you are seeing?

That's all I saw, not that I've been able to actually check out. Even if I can get the check-out page to load, it always comes up empty.

[quote name='Pirate331']That's all I saw, not that I've been able to actually check out. Even if I can get the check-out page to load, it always comes up empty.[/QUOTE]

This. No free comics books for us.

Don't add them all at once. I added around 150 and I got to checkout with them. Press the Add to Cart on each free comic section to make things faster.

Do I need a credit card to get them? I completed my order then gave me an error saying my comics will be available later and it sent me to a payment part of the checkout.

I'm willing to bet you get to keep the comics forever as long as you checkout and tie it to your account. Just thinking logically, there's no way a normal person can ever come close to reading 700 issues in 2 days.

Yup same. This last time it said it had 725 in my cart but of course after stopping at two different points for me to insert my password again, when it finally got to the end my cart was empty. Not gonna mess with it anymore atm. Hopefully tomorrow the website might work.

[quote name='Banjora']Hmm, parKer you found 722 free from this promotion or was that more then just the Marvel ones?[/QUOTE]

OK, I double-checked. In my account, I know I had around 2 comics from previous promos. After getting all the free comics listed under this promotion, I now have 722 in my account.

I'm using the iPad app, which is not bogged down at all like the website. When you open the app, there is a section that includes all the comics that are free for this Marvel promotion so I didn't have to "look for" anything; the promo comics are all listed together in the app and organized into subsections that I've listed below.

If you guys have access to it, I highly suggest using the app instead of the website. I had all the comics purchased and downloaded well within 30 minutes.

These are what's listed as part of the Marvel promo in-app:

Marvel Now! - 22
Acclaimed and Noteworthy - 25
Avengers - 46
Avengers Vs Xmen - 5
Captain America - 29
Cosmic Heroes - 34
Deadpool - 14
Fantastic Four - 11
Hulk - 17
Iron Man - 26
Marvel Events - 64
Marvel Heroes - 129
Marvel Zombies - 15
Punisher - 9
Spider-Man - 56
Thor - 27
Ultimate Universe - 51
Wolverine - 22
X-Men - 118

So, 720 total. I was off by 2, which is how many I originally had in my account before this Marvel promo.

[quote name='diazt350']Do I need a credit card to get them? I completed my order then gave me an error saying my comics will be available later and it sent me to a payment part of the checkout.[/QUOTE]

Did you a accidentally add a non-free comic? You shouldn't need to enter payment info.

Yeah, it's telling me my account is wrong on the Windows App and I keep making it to checkout and they disappear before I finish checkout :/

When it doesn't just clear out my cart at checkout, I'm able to get all the way to the confirmation page and then it says nothing I'm trying to buy exists or I already have it. There are no comics on my account, so this makes no sense.

This promotion is just making the Comixology service look like crap. Nice way to try and promote your site in theory but they sure are failing in execution.

I was able to purchase all the free comics, well, 717 of them, using the iPhone app. It won't let me log in tho, so I'm hoping I can eventually sync these with my account so I can read them on my kindle fire hd.

I also wonder how many people are just adding all these to their cart and if they are able to actually get the checkout to work are not noticing that some are not coming up as free. On Facebook Comixology say they want examples of the ones that are not coming up as free, like they can't click add all to cart like we have to to see for themselves.

I was able to "purchase" all of them through the iOS app last night, but have only downloaded about 100 so far. Comixology seems to be slammed now, not downloading anything else.

Don't diss the service, that's a ridiculous and unusual load for it to be getting. Normally it's been flawless.

Here's hoping DC comes up with a competing promo :)

[quote name='Saix_XIII']If this only lasts till Tuesday...I hope they extend it due to the issues about getting them.[/QUOTE]

Starting yesterday, I hadn't been able to log into my account and didn't realize this was why. I tweeted their support asking if the Marvel promotion would be extended since it particularly sucks for existing users. Their response was "no official word on that.. quite yet."
We'll see what happens.

It would be dumb for them not to extend it since it seems they can't handle the server load among the other issues like some of the free comics not actually appearing as free during checkout.

A few times, I've managed to get it to the checkout screen and place the order, only to have it say that I either own the titles or they're unavailable, which then means my cart gets emptied and I start the reload-fest all over again. Yay!

Got the 720 comics from the IOS app... took me quite some time.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Interesting, going to the promo it now tells you to input your email to get an email when the promotion starts. Seems they took it down to work on the issues....get it...:p

http://blog.comixology.com/2013/03/11/message-from-the-ceo/[/QUOTE]

I read it and came back to check something and now it's seems they delete it.

Not Found
Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

Yeah, me too, but on a screen it said we can log in and sync our comiXology with the itunes download. So I guess we can do that later.

I just tried to checkout, got all the way to the end, and received a message saying that the price had changed. And suddenly had $200 worth of comics in my cart. Immediately dumped that!

bread's done
Back