The 2013-14 NFL Thread

DestroVega

CAGiversary!
Free Agency begins tomorrow and two big NFC West WR trades today with Percy Harvin going to Seattle and Boldin to the 49ers.

Is week one here yet?

As a Vikings fan, all I can say is good riddance. Yeah, Harvin's a great receiver but between his inconsistent starts because of migraines, ankle, etc. and this habit he developed of trash talking the team, coach, and QB we're just plain better off without him. Sure this puts the Vikings in a tough spot with receivers but I'm happy he's gone. And who knows, there's a lot of talent in the wide receiver free agent pool this off-season...

That Boldin trade is great news for the Browns.

Seems like this will be the year that they spend their cap on free agents to fill some needs before the draft.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That Boldin trade is great news for the Browns.

Seems like this will be the year that they spend their cap on free agents to fill some needs before the draft.[/QUOTE]

Why is it good for the Browns? He got traded to the 49ers.

[quote name='KingBroly']Why is it good for the Browns? He got traded to the 49ers.[/QUOTE]
They don't have to worry about him for two weeks out of year because he's out of the division now?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They don't have to worry about him for two weeks out of year because he's out of the division now?[/QUOTE]

Oh, okay. I don't think him leaving is going to make much of a difference though.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Im surprised that the 49ers got Boldin for, what was it, a sixth round pick? Crazy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's a crazy low price for Boldin.

They were going to cut Boldin anyway, so it's better than nothing I guess.

Dashon Goldson looks to be out of San Francisco, and Reggie Bush seems like a lock for either the Cardinals or the Lions. Would fit both systems really well.

Most interesting thing I read yesterday was that the Patriots were prepared to make a run at Victor Cruz until he switched agents to Tom Condon.

He said he would have taken a pay cut WITH an extension. They should have extended him, he is still one of the best possession WR out there. I am assuming they will try and use Tanden Doss in his place (the Ravens have far too many other holes to use the draft for) even though every time Flacco threw to Doss bad stuff happened.

At least try to get a third rounder. Sheesh.

Well, apparently Tony Gonzalez is returning next year for the Falcons.

I was kinda hoping he would finish his career back in KC, but I'll still root for him in Atlanta.

[quote name='DT778']I know you can't pay everyone but I'd like the Niners to keep Goldson.[/QUOTE]

I don't see it happening

Carolina Panthers fan here. I don't see anything happening in free agency for this team. I am feeling another 3rd or 4th place finish in the NFC South.

Wallace is a Dolphin, Kruger is a Brown.

Meanwhile, the Ravens signed a backup safety and are meeting with Chris Canty.

Oh, and Buffalo released Ryan Pickspatrick.

EDIT: Wow. The Ravens traded Boldin to free up money to sign Danelle Ellerbe, who is apparently signing with Miami. I normally support Ozzie, but these last few weeks makes me want to forget the 2013 season already.

Boldin isn't as good as his playoff numbers suggest. Still, he is a good addition to the 49ers. I'm thinking Kaepernick may be due for a huge regression in his second year now that teams have film to study.

fucking Eagles snatched up James Casey from my Texans. He was a very solid FB/TE combo and was a nice option as our 2nd TE to Owen Daniels.

[quote name='renique46']Ravens probably gonna go back to being the steelers bitches now.[/QUOTE]Honestly, it seems like the Bengals are primed to win the division this year. Though it can change with the draft.

Ravens ended up signing Canty, so at least they have added to the defense. Would like it more if Mount Cody didn't regress last year.

I'll admit I've been definitely concerned about the decisions by the Ravens, but I'll follow the poster I saw somewhere. "Don't Panic, Trust Ozzie"

[quote name='JP']I'll admit I've been definitely concerned about the decisions by the Ravens, but I'll follow the poster I saw somewhere. "Don't Panic, Trust Ozzie"[/QUOTE]The way the Ravens luck is going, Belichik will, yet again, swipe Ozzie's top prospect just before the Ravens' pick.

[quote name='DNukem170']The way the Ravens luck is going, Belichik will, yet again, swipe Ozzie's top prospect just before the Ravens' pick.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't surprise me. I knew we were going to take big hits on the defense side of the ball but I was hoping to hold onto Ellerbe.

[quote name='Javery']Boldin isn't as good as his playoff numbers suggest. Still, he is a good addition to the 49ers. I'm thinking Kaepernick may be due for a huge regression in his second year now that teams have film to study.[/QUOTE]

Did you see him this year? Even if they never run read option this year he can throw perfect passes as a pocket passer.

Kaepernick is a is a top 7 fantasy QB this year. Which means raw stats. The Niners should truck teams this year barring injury.

While I do think they will all have very good years, I believe Luck, RG3, and Kaep will not light the world on fire like they did last year.

[quote name='DestroVega']Did you see him this year? Even if they never run read option this year he can throw perfect passes as a pocket passer.

Kaepernick is a is a top 7 fantasy QB this year. Which means raw stats. The Niners should truck teams this year barring injury.[/QUOTE]

I watched him last year (more than I wanted to actually). He does have a good arm but pretty much every QB with his style gets figured out eventually. I expect the same thing to happen to RG3. Kaepernick is also one hit away from serious injury (moreso than other QBs because of his style and build). I'm not saying he's going to suck because a huge regression would still make him one of the better QBs in the league but I just don't think he is going to be San Francisco Jesus next year. I guess we will see...

[quote name='Javery']I watched him last year (more than I wanted to actually). He does have a good arm but pretty much every QB with his style gets figured out eventually. I expect the same thing to happen to RG3. Kaepernick is also one hit away from serious injury (moreso than other QBs because of his style and build). I'm not saying he's going to suck because a huge regression would still make him one of the better QBs in the league but I just don't think he is going to be San Francisco Jesus next year. I guess we will see...[/QUOTE]

He's way bigger than RGIII. He can take the hits. I'm not worried about him at all.

[quote name='DNukem170']While I do think they will all have very good years, I believe Luck, RG3, and Kaep will not light the world on fire like they did last year.[/QUOTE]

Luck will only continue to get better.

Kaepernick is 6'4" 235 and can definitely take the hits (and will probably put some more muscle/weight on in the offseason, and he already is jacked). He also throws passes on a rope roughly 9 billion miles an hour. Some of the windows that he fits balls into are just amazing. His accuracy will only get better as he plays more and the speed of the game slows down for him. He isn't a scrawny RGIII wanna be ;)

Yeah, Luck is the prototypical NFL style pocket passer. Barring injury he will just get better and have a great career.

I think Kaepernick and RGIII will continue to do well also, as long as they stay healthy. With running more than Luck does (though Luck is pretty mobile for a pocket passer) they have more chances of getting hurt.

I don't think the read option will get figured out like the wildcat did. I'd compare it more to the west coast offenses that emerged in the 90s. I think it will stick around as it's a whole scheme and not just a gimmick like the wildcat.

6'4" and 235 would be pretty much my build if I were to grow 4" and I'm pretty sure I'd snap in half if I got hit by an NFL linebacker. His size may be less of a concern than RG3 but he is going to get popped eventually because of how much running he does with the ball.

Average linebacker size is 6'2" 245 pounds. Obviously distributed differently than a QB but not a ton bigger than Kap.
mgjzmy-b781049922z.120130112232711000g9m1c14i4.1.jpg
And literally the prototypical LB and Kap. The size differential isn't that crazy. That is Erik Walden, and he is just about on target for NFL average. 6'2" 250 pounds.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, Luck is the prototypical NFL style pocket passer. Barring injury he will just get better and have a great career.

I think Kaepernick and RGIII will continue to do well also, as long as they stay healthy. With running more than Luck does (though Luck is pretty mobile for a pocket passer) they have more chances of getting hurt.

I don't think the read option will get figured out like the wildcat did. I'd compare it more to the west coast offenses that emerged in the 90s. I think it will stick around as it's a whole scheme and not just a gimmick like the wildcat.[/QUOTE]

It's almost impossible to "figure out" the read option as that's exactly what it is. You read the situation and coverage and choose the option that's open.

You can use a QB spy in coverage, but Kaep looks like such a good passer he would then just tear up the open coverage.

It doesn't work as well with a QB like Tebow, because he can't throw.

I wanted the 49ers to draft Kaepernick, my only question was could he throw in the NFL. Having watched all his snaps, I'd say he has more than answered that question.

The 49ers offense this year is going to be so much more dynamic. The only team I fear going into next year is Seattle, as they are basically a carbon-copy that seems way more physical, on both sides of the ball.

Rumor Round-Up:

ESPN's Insider claiming that the Packers are looking to sign RB Steven Jackson, but aren't willing to pay the man. haha. Jackson could end up in Atlanta if GB doesn't sign him.

Shonn Greene is being linked to Tennessee right now. Depending on where Jackson signs, Greene could be on the Titans or Packers this season.

I also read that Atlanta had some interest in Ahmad Bradshaw. Not sure how much weight that has though.

[quote name='Javery']6'4" and 235 would be pretty much my build if I were to grow 4" and I'm pretty sure I'd snap in half if I got hit by an NFL linebacker. His size may be less of a concern than RG3 but he is going to get popped eventually because of how much running he does with the ball.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Size matters, but not nearly as much as people think, especially if he runs more often. Rothlisberger is about the same size (slightly bigger actually), but we know he can't keep from getting injured, even if it's something small like hand or foot.

[quote name='HydroX']Rumor Round-Up:

ESPN's Insider claiming that the Packers are looking to sign RB Steven Jackson, but aren't willing to pay the man. haha. Jackson could end up in Atlanta if GB doesn't sign him.

Shonn Greene is being linked to Tennessee right now. Depending on where Jackson signs, Greene could be on the Titans or Packers this season.

I also read that Atlanta had some interest in Ahmad Bradshaw. Not sure how much weight that has though.[/QUOTE]

Steve Jackson seems an odd fit for Atlanta because Jacquizz Rodgers reminds me of Jackson.

If Jackson goes to the packers it won't be for a day or two, they never shell out any cash. I guess that is fine by me, most teams that pay out the nose for the big free agents usually don't get very far. However, out of all the years to pay for talent I feel like this should be the year.

So now that it looks like the Vikings are out of the hunt for Mike Wallace and Greg Jennings, I'm getting a little agitated with the Vikings. I still think they did the right thing in trading away Harvin, but they need to pony up the money for a change and quit thinking they're gonna hit the lottery in the draft again with another Adrian Peterson type pickup.

Last I read it was Jennings going to either the Packers or the Vikings. If so I hope they deal Finley to someone, or move a different receiver for picks or defensive upgrades.

If Jerome Simpson would pull his head out of his rear end he could be a suitable WR1 for the time being. But the passing attack in Minnesota will be a joke until they get someone that can actually throw (and catch) the ball. As much as I love my Noles, Ponder is not the answer there...

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/3...-browns-agree-to-terms-with-dt-desmond-bryant

Browns signed DT Desmond Bryant from Oakland, whom I had never heard of before yesterday. Seems to be a nice move to add depth to the defensive line, though their projected starting spots are a bit suspect to me since I don't see them putting Sheard at OLB and using DTs for all three DL spots.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/3...wns-agree-to-terms-with-free-agent-lb-quentin

The Browns signed LB Quentin Groves from Arizona to a cheap two year, $2.8 million contract, who will probably play a key backup role for OLB spots. From the moves they've made so far, I'd have to imagine that they're going to take a pass-rushing OLB with their first pick. Kruger can take one side and the rookie will take the other while Quentin Groves is a backup. From what I've read, the LBs they had last year are all better fits for ILB spots with D'Qwell Jackson and maybe Chris Gocong now that he'll be back from his injury last season.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/3/13/4098766/cleveland-browns-expected-to-sign-te-gary-barnidge

Rumors are suggesting that the Browns are going to sign Carolina TE Gary Barnidge for a blocking TE role to succeed Alex Smith after his departure. I'm not surprised that Rob and his OC/DC coaches will be looking at their former players that would be a good fit for the team.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Last I read it was Jennings going to either the Packers or the Vikings. If so I hope they deal Finley to someone, or move a different receiver for picks or defensive upgrades.[/QUOTE]

Vikings are saying Jennings is asking for too much money.

Laurent Robinson got cut by the Jags. I wouldn't mind seeing him return to the Cowboys. Robinson and Romo had incredible chemistry when he was here, and he did a good job filling in for Austin when he was hurt.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Oh he is that is for sure lol. Green bay news reported that the packers offered him $10 million and he held out for more (hence free agency).[/QUOTE]

Shocked they offered him that much.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Laurent Robinson got cut by the Jags. I wouldn't mind seeing him return to the Cowboys. Robinson and Romo had incredible chemistry when he was here, and he did a good job filling in for Austin when he was hurt.[/QUOTE]It's why he got cut that has me curious. The Jags said he passed his physical, yet Robinson himself said he disagreed with the team's assessment that he was healthy and that he didn't feel 100% during workouts yesterday.

[quote name='HydroX']If Jerome Simpson would pull his head out of his rear end he could be a suitable WR1 for the time being. But the passing attack in Minnesota will be a joke until they get someone that can actually throw (and catch) the ball. As much as I love my Noles, Ponder is not the answer there...[/QUOTE]

Which brings us right back to my original point, which is that they keep trying to make it look like they're finding the diamond in the rough of the draft every year. They're trying to make Ponder seem elite and he's doing a good job of showing he isn't. I won't be surprised at all if they sit back and do nothing at this point just waiting for the draft to pick up a wide receiver rather than sign a proven winner. They keep doing the same thing over and over at almost every position, don't bother signing a proven star we'll just make one up in the draft. Nowhere has this been more apparent than in the QB position (Favre aside).

Ask yourself, aside from Favre, when's the last time the Vikings signed/traded for an already proven star? (and before someone says Randy Moss from 2 years ago, he was not a proven star 2 years ago, he was a washed out star)

Reggie Reggie Bush y'all to the Lions. Effectively ending Javid Best in Detroit if he can ever play again anyway.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ask yourself, aside from Favre, when's the last time the Vikings signed/traded for an already proven star? (and before someone says Randy Moss from 2 years ago, he was not a proven star 2 years ago, he was a washed out star)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't use him as an example but that's not true that he was washed up. At the time he was traded to the Vikings he was still an elite talent with the Patriots.

Some teams don't sign or trade for high-dollar, big-name players. Steelers and Packers have pretty much never had players on their team they didn't draft themselves. It's all bout what philosophy your organization follows.

bread's done
Back