Best Buy Disc to Digital from home

Best Buy's CinemaNow has been doing at home D2D for awhile now. Walmart's Vudu started at home D2D a month or so ago and Warner Bros's Flixster supports it also.

[quote name='J7.']Which one is the best one? Does your disc still work?[/QUOTE]

DVDs can't be changed, so as long as it's in your possession, it'll work.

Do they charge u for this? Seems kinda pointless since most movies I buy have the digital download code anyway and I'd rather have physical media anyway.

Can anyone comment on the quality versus other DVD ripping programs out there? I just started using Mac X DVD Ripper Pro (which offers lot more features versus Handbrake or Mac the Ripper). I'd say on the slowest rip speed, Mac X is about an 8/10.

Secondly, how long does the program take to rip? Mac X takes about 45-75 minutes depending on DVD length (2-3.5 hrs).

Thirdly, will these DVD rips be loadable into iTunes? I'm ripping my DVDs to be watched on my laptop on the way to the Dominican Republic and didn't want to drag along a bunch of DVDs.

Thanks for any info guys - it's appreciated.

There is no ripping involved. The program reads your disc and if you have a qualifying movie in your drive then you'll see a screen with the option to purchase an SD version for $2 or an HD copy for $5. With Vudu you can also do it with Blu-rays if you have a Blu-ray drive. The cost is $2 to get the HD copy. The SD version is DVD quality, and the HD one is close to 1080P but not quite Blu-ray quality. All (or most) of these digital copies are also Ultraviolet compatible so you can play them on any UV player or app. Once you purchase it, it's in your UV library and you can stream it or download it.

I'm specifically talking about Vudu's program, but it works the same way with Best Buy's CinemaNow as well (except Cinemanow only reads DVD's not Blu-rays). Vudu's program recognize more movies from what I've noticed. Additionally some DVD's that come with Blu-rays are actually recognized as Blu-rays so they qualify for a $2 HD copy.

You can see Vudu's disc to digital here: http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html?KWID=In_Home_Disc_Digital_Beta_013113

cool...then I am going to convert the first 4 RE movies, Spiderman 1-3, All the marvel movies, Machete (gotta take him on vacation) and a few others.

I've transferred a few over with Vudu. It is a breeze, but you have to have a Blu-ray drive which are pretty cheap to pick up now. I've been really happy with the HDX quality, plus you get Ultra Violet support on all the ones you transfer. Not bad for $2.

so the vudu disc to digital only works through a pc with a blu ray drive right ? not from say a blu ray player with vudu on it or a ps3. Plenty of blu ray players around the house with vudu on them but I do not have a blu ray drive on my pc since its kinda useless at this point.

Would actually be interested in this since it seems it would be a good way of getting UV copies of disney movies that I could share with my family. Assuming they don't have Disney movies blocked or something.

[quote name='ITDEFX']cool...then I am going to convert the first 4 RE movies, Spiderman 1-3, All the marvel movies, Machete (gotta take him on vacation) and a few others.[/QUOTE]

All the marvel movies dont work as there owned by disney who is not a part of ultraviolet at this time. Re movies & spiderman do as well as all the xmen (except x2 for some reason) dont know about machete

[quote name='AdvOfJet']so the vudu disc to digital only works through a pc with a blu ray drive right ? not from say a blu ray player with vudu on it or a ps3. Plenty of blu ray players around the house with vudu on them but I do not have a blu ray drive on my pc since its kinda useless at this point.

Would actually be interested in this since it seems it would be a good way of getting UV copies of disney movies that I could share with my family. Assuming they don't have Disney movies blocked or something.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression the disc to digital program works on any bluray player that has Vudu, no PC required.

[quote name='J7.']I was under the impression the disc to digital program works on any bluray player that has Vudu, no PC required.[/QUOTE]

Nope, it requires a computer's DVD or BD-drive to work. I do wish it did work the way you imagined it though, that way I could use my PS3's BD drive to get digital copies since I don't have a PC BD drive. Hopefully they can accomplish this in the future.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']so the vudu disc to digital only works through a pc with a blu ray drive right ? not from say a blu ray player with vudu on it or a ps3. Plenty of blu ray players around the house with vudu on them but I do not have a blu ray drive on my pc since its kinda useless at this point.

Would actually be interested in this since it seems it would be a good way of getting UV copies of disney movies that I could share with my family. Assuming they don't have Disney movies blocked or something.[/QUOTE]

Disney hasn't joined up with UV so none of their movies will work with this program unfortunately.

So they are "allowing" you to rebuy a copy of a movie you've already paid for? Ridiculous. It is 100% in your rights as a consumer to make as many copies from the physical media as you want, as long as you dont resell them obviously. Just use a free program to rip them, dont fall for this scam!

[quote name='mj1984']So they are "allowing" you to rebuy a copy of a movie you've already paid for? Ridiculous. It is 100% in your rights as a consumer to make as many copies from the physical media as you want, as long as you dont resell them obviously. Just use a free program to rip them, dont fall for this scam![/QUOTE]

So if I have a DVD of a movie, can you tell me how I can rip it to get a 1080P copy? thanks in advance!

[quote name='ssjmichael']So if I have a DVD of a movie, can you tell me how I can rip it to get a 1080P copy? thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Also let me know how I can stream it in said 1080p to my computer, tablet, phone, video game console, Roku, and TV. 1080p movies take up a ton of space (3-4GB each) and it's nice to have freedom with my movies wherever I go so long as there is decent wifi.

[quote name='ssjmichael']So if I have a DVD of a movie, can you tell me how I can rip it to get a 1080P copy? thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

You can't get a 1080P copy from a DVD obviously, that's not the point. Can you get a free, standard resolution copy of the movie you own and stream it anywhere in your home completely free and legally? Yes you can. And you can get a full 1080P version of the blu-ray you currently own the same way. I have never understood why consumers would defend such patently anti-consumer practices by these companies, but whatever. Continue to waste your money on this service!

To answer the other guy, you can convert the ripped file into whatever format you choose so you can stream it wherever you want using hundreds of different free programs out there. You might be sad to learn that it doesn't include DRM, so you won't have as much trouble with compatibility for different programs as you would with a file that you actually paid extra money to download. You people are hilarious.

[quote name='mj1984']You can't get a 1080P copy from a DVD obviously, that's not the point..[/QUOTE]

Well then you clearly miss the point of what most people are using this service for. Getting a 1080P digital copy for an old DVD for $5, that's instantly playable on tons of devices is a great deal, whether you can wrap your ignorant brain around that or not.

Edit: Based on other comments I've seen from you, you're clearly just a troll, so I now regret wasting even a second of my time on a person of your ilk.

Lol, you people keep paying for things that don't really exist, and I'll keep buying my physical games, playing them whenever I want, and re-selling them if I feel like it. You guys are signing the death warrant for retail and used game stores everywhere, and also for video games as a hobby. Have fun playing jagged battlefield 27 in 10 years.

[quote name='mj1984']So they are "allowing" you to rebuy a copy of a movie you've already paid for? Ridiculous. It is 100% in your rights as a consumer to make as many copies from the physical media as you want, as long as you dont resell them obviously. Just use a free program to rip them, dont fall for this scam![/QUOTE]
Paying $2 for a 1080p digital copy that is stored in the cloud and available anywhere you want it is hardly a scam. Even $5 for turning your DVD into a HD copy is pretty reasonable. I even upgraded a couple of DVDs to HDX that aren't even available on Blu-ray. If anything I am surprised they are offering a service like this so cheap and with so few strings attached. There is really nothing stopping anyone from borrowing Blu-rays from friends and building their own HD movie collection on Vudu for $2 a movie.

[quote name='laseractive'] There is really nothing stopping anyone from borrowing Blu-rays from friends and building their own HD movie collection on Vudu for $2 a movie.[/QUOTE]

I have been renting movies via Netflix then adding them to my Vudu account via CinemaNow at home D2D when I got CinemaNow credit for pennies on the dollars. Most movies say it is rental only on the top but there is no difference with the data on the disc.

[quote name='mj1984']You can't get a 1080P copy from a DVD obviously, that's not the point. Can you get a free, standard resolution copy of the movie you own and stream it anywhere in your home completely free and legally? Yes you can. And you can get a full 1080P version of the blu-ray you currently own the same way. I have never understood why consumers would defend such patently anti-consumer practices by these companies, but whatever. Continue to waste your money on this service!

To answer the other guy, you can convert the ripped file into whatever format you choose so you can stream it wherever you want using hundreds of different free programs out there. You might be sad to learn that it doesn't include DRM, so you won't have as much trouble with compatibility for different programs as you would with a file that you actually paid extra money to download. You people are hilarious.[/QUOTE]

I looked into that. Handbrake won't let you rip copy protected discs. Then there's other programs but most of them will give you malware.

Question - are you able to tell much of a difference between SD and HD when viewing on smaller devices like tablets or even desktops?

Also, when streaming a 1080p video to your TV, is the quality just as good as a Blu Ray or is it not quite there yet?

I'm just now getting into the digital copy game (yes I know - I'm playing catch up) because I've always felt that physical media holds up better quality wise. (bit of a snob that way) Thanks in advanced :)

[quote name='movie_mike']Question - are you able to tell much of a difference between SD and HD when viewing on smaller devices like tablets or even desktops?

Also, when streaming a 1080p video to your TV, is the quality just as good as a Blu Ray or is it not quite there yet?

I'm just now getting into the digital copy game (yes I know - I'm playing catch up) because I've always felt that physical media holds up better quality wise. (bit of a snob that way) Thanks in advanced :)[/QUOTE]

I can definitely tell on my PC monitor which has a 1920 x 1080 resolution, The difference between SD and HD is night and day. Vudu's HDX video quality is definitely not Blu-ray quality, but it's close. On the audio side, BD has the advantage of having lossless tracks, while Vudu just has 5.1 surround sound. As for portable use, the difference probably isn't as noticeable, but it depends on the type of screen and such. I haven't really used my UV movies on my tablet though. I watch them on my PS3 in full HD.

I look at my digital collection as a compliment to my physical one. I'm not planning on replacing my physical one with a digital one anytime soon. Ultraviolet copies (which I buy from people for $2-3 at Blu-ray.com), and this disc to digital program comes in handy though when I don't feel the need to buy the Blu-ray, but still want to watch an HD version of something. Blu-ray trumps it ultimately because of the better picture and sound, and just as important for me, the extras, but the digital library is a nice compliment to it.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Ultraviolet copies (which I buy from people for $2-3 at Blu-ray.com), and this disc to digital program comes in handy though when I don't feel the need to buy the Blu-ray, but still want to watch an HD version of something. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for that, SSJ. I have been buying some UV copies from here (to supplement what I get from doing the cheap BRs at BB and trading them to MovieStop in a cycle)... I may start using B-r.com a bit, too. Didn;t know they were doing that there, as well.

Huh, they seem to have HD versions for a lot of movies that aren't out on blu-ray yet. That's pretty cool. How is the sound quality on the streamed movies? I recently did a big upgrade to my home theater, so I'm a bit of a snob for lossless audio in movies now. :D

The BD drive is only required to upgrade FROM a blu-ray, right? Like I can still buy an HD movie through a $5 DVD upgrade, if my laptop only has a DVD drive?

EDIT: Hot damn, they even have a "blu-ray" version of Titan A.E.!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BustaUppa']Huh, they seem to have HD versions for a lot of movies that aren't out on blu-ray yet. That's pretty cool. How is the sound quality on the streamed movies? I recently did a big upgrade to my home theater, so I'm a bit of a snob for lossless audio in movies now. :D

The BD drive is only required to upgrade FROM a blu-ray, right? Like I can still buy an HD movie through a $5 DVD upgrade, if my laptop only has a DVD drive?

EDIT: Hot damn, they even have a "blu-ray" version of Titan A.E.![/QUOTE]

I think the sound quality is really good, but I don't have a high end settup so I'm not the best judge. I played The Dark Knight Rises through a UV copy and it sounded great to me.

You can definitely upgrade using just a DVD drive. Additionally if you have any Blu-rays that come with DVD's (even special features discs) you should try it with Vudu's program, as sometimes they're recognized as being the Blu-ray and will thus net you an HD copy for $2.

No, we are not allowed to circumvent DRM unless an exception is made by the Library of Congress. We can thank the DMCA for that. The fact that we own the physical DVDs actually doesn't matter since it would require us to break the DRM.

That being said, it is a stupid law and I have no moral objections to people ignoring it. I just wanted to share the info.

[quote name='laseractive']Paying $2 for a 1080p digital copy that is stored in the cloud and available anywhere you want it is hardly a scam. Even $5 for turning your DVD into a HD copy is pretty reasonable. I even upgraded a couple of DVDs to HDX that aren't even available on Blu-ray. If anything I am surprised they are offering a service like this so cheap and with so few strings attached. There is really nothing stopping anyone from borrowing Blu-rays from friends and building their own HD movie collection on Vudu for $2 a movie.[/QUOTE]

the scam is you are rebuying a movie you are already own that is
A. not actually in HD in the same way a blu ray disc is
B. you could get the same level of HD by making a backup copy.

unless the HD "upgrade" is actually a redone copy of the movie to scale it to HD its not really HD. and depending on the movie in question that HD upgrade could just not be worth it.

now if these disc to digital things took ANY movie and gave it a blu ray style upgrade that would be amazing but they dont. all you are really doing is buying a digital "HD" version of the movie. you might as well see if there are blu ray copies of these movies out there for 5-10 dollars its a safer bet and probably better movie

there is also the fact this service is completely dependent on however long this stuff stays up. you have no guarantee here. Wal marts Vudu is probably safer cause its wal mart. but best buy for instance has been kind of financially shaky if im not mistake lately so you are paying money to use a cloud service of a company that hasnt been in very good shape. you have 0 guarantee to these movies.

[quote name='MunkiLord']No, we are not allowed to circumvent DRM unless an exception is made by the Library of Congress. We can thank the DMCA for that. The fact that we own the physical DVDs actually doesn't matter since it would require us to break the DRM.

That being said, it is a stupid law and I have no moral objections to people ignoring it. I just wanted to share the info.[/QUOTE]

wrong. you are allowed to make back ups of copies of dvds or video games you own. its 100% legal and it how many websites survive by using that line. its one of the great piracy debates. why go through the hassle of doing it the legal way when you can accomplish the exact same damn thing 100x easier by pirating its just pirating is illegal yet going through the hassle of breaking whatever protection is on the disc is legal. physical copies dont come with that "you are only renting it legal crap that digital downloads have"

[quote name='kayne2000']
wrong. you are allowed to make back ups of copies of dvds or video games you own. its 100% legal and it how many websites survive by using that line. its one of the great piracy debates. why go through the hassle of doing it the legal way when you can accomplish the exact same damn thing 100x easier by pirating its just pirating is illegal yet going through the hassle of breaking whatever protection is on the disc is legal. physical copies dont come with that "you are only renting it legal crap that digital downloads have"[/QUOTE]

You are only legally able to break DRM if the Librarian of Congress has made the exception or if it is codified into the DMCA elsewhere. DVDs made the list of exceptions a few years ago(just found this out), though I am unaware if their exception has expired or not. Just because we own the physical copy, that does not automatically mean we are legally allowed to circumvent DRM. The DMCA does in fact override our first sale rights. I don't agree with that, but it is what it is.

That being said, I can't see a scenario in which the MPAA will come after anyone that rips all their DVDs and Blu Rays at home so long as that person isn't distributing the digital files or the software the person used.

[quote name='kayne2000']the scam is you are rebuying a movie you are already own that is
A. not actually in HD in the same way a blu ray disc is
B. you could get the same level of HD by making a backup copy.

unless the HD "upgrade" is actually a redone copy of the movie to scale it to HD its not really HD. and depending on the movie in question that HD upgrade could just not be worth it.[/QUOTE]
The HDX movies I have bought have all been true HD transfers even the ones not available on Blu-ray. The ripping your own movies thing is fine for some, but I don't want the hassle. I will gladly pay $2 to have it in the cloud and accessible anywhere I am at on almost any device.

Just bought 1080p versions of Titan A.E. and The Prince of Egypt. Thanks OP. :)
Is there any way to delete or hide movies in your VUDU collection? They threw 10 free SD movies at me for signing up, but I really don't plan on watching any of them.

I believe flixster is doing a promotion where you can get 5 free ultraviolet credits but I haven't been able to get it to work just yet.

I like the idea here of doing this but I've balked at paying an extra $2 for what amounts to a digital copy of the movie. I might change my mind if I start liquidating my copies which I'm considering but even so, many of my movies came either with digital copies from itunes or UV digital copies so these promos from Vudu/CN/Flixster are irrelevent as I've already got a dc for many of my flicks.

Does Vudu or Cinemanow somehow log some id from your disc so other people cannot get a digital copy on the disc you got one from? Is there anyway to download the digital copies in case your internet is down and you cannot stream?

[quote name='J7.']Does Vudu or Cinemanow somehow log some id from your disc so other people cannot get a digital copy on the disc you got one from? Is there anyway to download the digital copies in case your internet is down and you cannot stream?[/QUOTE]

If you use Vudu's, CinemaNow's, or Flixster's at home program there is no why they block that individual disc because it is contains all of the same data as millions of other copies of it.

You can download some movies in HDX from Vudu for offline viewing on your computer. Vudu's PS3 app also allows you to download movies to hdd but requires a internet connetion to verify your rights to the movie/tv show.

[quote name='mike568']If you use Vudu's, CinemaNow's, or Flixster's at home program there is no why they block that individual disc because it is contains all of the same data as millions of other copies of it.

You can download some movies in HDX from Vudu for offline viewing on your computer. Vudu's PS3 app also allows you to download movies to hdd but requires a internet connetion to verify your rights to the movie/tv show.[/QUOTE]

Might be worth converting the movies and selling the discs.

I've been using the Flixster program on PC and it supports disc to digital for DVDs only so far under a beta program... I was offered a promo when signed up for 5 free DVD to SD digital copies so I used those up to stream a handful of my favorite movies on my cell phone. It says the promo is only offered to certain flixster users though so I am not sure why I got the free digital copies and a previous poster did not...

Glad I found this thread! Flixster offering five free disc to digital copies is nice. I'm mainly using it to convert movies I no longer have the box for and don't care about special features so I can clear space a bit. Not sure if anyone takes discs without the original box so might just give to friends.

Disney has decided to take a wait and see approach for Ultra-Violet. They have shutdown Keychest which allowed you to stream movies on your computer. Right now they only do iTunes digital copies that require a disc. I know a way around the disc requirement.

bread's done
Back