Best deal you ever got on a video game/console?

FlyingAce39

CAGiversary!
We all have gotten killer deals on video games, but there are always those deals that stick with you forever. I mean, the name of this sub-forum is "Deal/Shopping Discussions and Bragging Rights". So let's brag! What is the best deal you ever got on a video game, accessory, or console? I'll start.

I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy about 2 weeks ago for $38 and some change after taxes at Gamestop. I had 7 bucks worth of trade-in credit. Everything else was coupons and my PUR Pro membership. That's about the best deal I've gotten lately.

Also, I bought Dead Space 3: Limited Edition a while back (within a week of its release) for $32 and some change from GoHastings. I'm still buzzed about that one. :bouncy:

Picked up :wii: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and :gba: Final Fantasy VI Advance from Circuit City clearance a while back. IIRC Fire Emblem was around $11 and FF6 was around $16. Still have them sealed. Both of those are pretty expensive to find sealed these days.

Guitar hero bundles at Sears for 6 bucks was my best i think. They also had a bunch of games for under a dollar. I got a bunch of decent SNES games from goodwill one time. Nothing really really crazy though.

My best profitable haul would be the penny deals from Amazon, I made close to $700.

My best deal would probably have to be The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, I paid $25 on eBay a few years ago.

You truly are a CAG in training OP. I've had some amazing deals. When I was really young I remember grabbing Earthbound on clearance for $10... too bad I have no idea what happened to it. I also bought my copy of Suikoden 2 from a friend for $10 (also about 10 years ago). If you want something more recent I grabbed a NES Bonk's Adventure from a retro game shop for $8 a little over a year ago or even more recent I grabbed a move bundle yesterday on clearance for $15. The best deal?? You can take your pic, it would easily be Earthbound if I still had it.... it's easily Earthbound even tho I don't still have it.

Xbox 360 Star Wars Edition- $300 new
Xbox 360 Halo 3 edition -$30 used
Nintendo Wii U with Nintendo Lands and Wiimote- $200 used twice by friend
Blue PSP 2000 with 6 games- $40

I think the best deals I ever got were:
$5 each for... a bunch of games, during that awesome CC clearance (the deal that brought me to CAG)
$4 for Castlevania Circle of the Moon from Kmart
$15 for a complete Mega Man Legends 2 from a local mom & pop store
$25 for new Dragon Warrior Monsters from eBay
$28 for new Resident Evil Gaiden from eBay
$10 for new Pikmin 2 from TRU
$30 for new Radiant Historia 1st Print from an Amazon re-stock (which I almost passed on!)

Nothing superb but they're the best ones I've gotten.

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']You truly are a CAG in training OP. I've had some amazing deals. When I was really young I remember grabbing Earthbound on clearance for $10... too bad I have no idea what happened to it. I also bought my copy of Suikoden 2 from a friend for $10 (also about 10 years ago). If you want something more recent I grabbed a NES Bonk's Adventure from a retro game shop for $8 a little over a year ago or even more recent I grabbed a move bundle yesterday on clearance for $15. The best deal?? You can take your pic, it would easily be Earthbound if I still had it.... it's easily Earthbound even tho I don't still have it.[/QUOTE]

A lot of those items are only deals by today's standards... I mean, back then, I doubt you had any idea that Earthbound or Suikoden II would be worth as much as they are today. Getting Prime for $38 is in no way a bad deal... given how even disc only, the game can sell for twice that. Besides, a lot finds are by pure luck and chance. It's not like there's a street were luck and chance can be found (or is there?).

Cheapest new, sealed game in-store: :ps2: Cars for $0.25 @ Sears (those days are long gone. The cashier offered a 1 year disc warranty for another $0.02 if I wanted it...)

Cheapest used game: :ps2: Pipe Mania for $0.02 @ Gamestop (can't argue getting a game for something you find on the ground commonly enough)

Best value new, sealed game in-store: Debatable between :wii: Wii Play Motion Bundle for $10, :wii: Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Bundle for $10, or the more recent :ps3: Move Bundle for $15, all @ Sears

Best value used game: :wii: CIB mint Xenoblade Chronicles for $32 @ Gamestop, just a couple months before everyone went crazy on it.

Best online deal for flip: :wii: Oregon Trail for roughly $10 as part of a Gamefly sale, sold it for $50 shortly afterwards

Best thrift store deal for flip:
gameboycolor.gif
Game Boy Color with
gba.gif
Gameshark SP for $6.50, sold both for around $75ish total

But my worst deal ever? Trading in my launch purchase copy of
ps1.gif
Mega Man Legends 2 for $5 at a local Bookman's (used media store in AZ), before it shot up in popularity / price.

The same seller that I bought Tron Bonne had Mega Man Legneds 2 for $15, I regret not getting it.

I'm surprised how pricey some wii titles get, some of them are so obscure.

I got a Xbox 360 250gb w/kinect and 2 sealed games for $60 on craigslist. It had problems with the graphics, but that wasn't a problem since it was still under warranty :D

[quote name='skiizim']I'm surprised how pricey some wii titles get, some of them are so obscure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that reminded me of the :wii: Walk it Out I got at Gamestop for $10, and then sold it for $50 a few weeks later to coincide with the New Year. You gotta hand it to the casual Wii owner database, they will pay top dollar for subpar games (though Walk it Out was legitimately fun for a bit...).

[quote name='Vinny']
A lot of those items are only deals by today's standards... I mean, back then, I doubt you had any idea that Earthbound or Suikoden II would be worth as much as they are today. Getting Prime for $38 is in no way a bad deal... given how even disc only, the game can sell for twice that. Besides, a lot finds are by pure luck and chance. It's not like there's a street were luck and chance can be found (or is there?).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all of my games are bought with the intention to play them, but the backlog, bf, and school kept the older ones sealed all these years. Never thought any of them would be worth more than what I paid. I even remember feeling some buyer's remorse after buying so many games from a BB $1.99 clearance because I was a gaming newbie and had never before bought more than 1 game at time.

Video games: all from in-store clearances years ago. Hardly see clearances like this anymore. :cry:
BB - $1.99 for nearly all their GBA, PS2, GC games. Suikoden V, Pokemon Sapphire, Tales of Symphonia, and Luigi's Mansion are some I picked up
Sears - $2.97 for FF 4-6 GBA
BB - $20 Metroid Prime Trilogy

Console: 160GB Black Ops bundle at Target
PS3 bundle was $300 and you got $160 back in Target gift cards. The console by itself had a trade-in value at Amazon for $230. Buy 4, trade in 1.

Accessory: strategy guides
HPB - SMT Nocturne $10 and Tales of Vesperia $5

Accessory: GC WaveBirds
WM - $19, sold some for $100-$125

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently, a 3DS for $99, I play it constantly so it was a great deal. I would have had to pay at least $150 for one if I did not get this deal.

Back in later 1996, Bestbuy had literally stacks of Earthbound for $5 each. I bought it with my allowance (was 7 at the time) and ended up never playing it. A decade later it turned up, still sealed, in pristine condition. I sold it for hundreds on Ebay. If only I had a time machine to buy more.

I guess a recent one is just the two games (NCAA Football 10/Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce) for the PSP I got for $1 each at BB.

WOW! there have been TONS!:drool:

Hmmm... Let's see... Ahem *cracks knuckles*.

160GB PS3 from Target for $300 with $160 back in Gift Cards.
(I like to call it my $140 PS3, seeing as how I shop there anyway and I turned 1 of the gift cards into a Visa GC.)

A bunch of NCAA 2010 Basketball games from Toys R Us for $9.98 each PLUS there was a buy 1 get 1 40% off sale.

:ps2:Digimon World Data Sound. New $9.99 from Kmart.

2 Black Ops Warfare Battle Packs from Target for $23.98 each. Included Black Ops and PS3 controller. Selling the games and First Strike Maps meant 2 free Official PS3 controllers!

:ps2:A complete, like new copy of Haunting Ground for $15.29 from GameStop.

$69 3G/Wifi Vita, pre-owned from Cowboom. Total/including shipping and tax.

$33 OOP 32GB PS Vita memory card from Best Buy(however, this required a Sony price match of that deal
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10327254
they had and a trip to GameStop).

Lets see...

I got complete 360 rockband (instruments et al) for 4.97 from sears back when rockband was still popular.
Valkyrie Profile for the PSX for 3 bucks about a month ago at goodwill.
Tomba for 2 bucks for the PSX about 2 weeks ago at Goodwill.
A complete Sega Genesis / CD Model 2 (no box) for 4 bucks at some random out of the way mom and pop gameshop.
A complete snes for 5 bucks at the same shop (no box)
XBOX 360 for 18 bucks at half price books lol...(no controller)
PS3 for 40 bucks at goodwill
PSP w/ 7 games for 75 bucks from a friend like a year after it came out.

recently...
at GS for the GC clearance I picked up Fire Emblem POR, Mario Party 4-7, Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart for 4 bucks each.
For the B1G1 50% off at GS I got Metroid Prime trilogy and Fire Emblem RD for 44 and 19 respectively.
Wii for 36 bucks at HPB

Still waiting for that jaw dropping deal...like earthbound for 4 bucks or a GC component cable for 5 bucks...Id really love Panzer Dragoon Saga for cheap...

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Back in later 1996, Bestbuy had literally stacks of Earthbound for $5 each. I bought it with my allowance (was 7 at the time) and ended up never playing it. A decade later it turned up, still sealed, in pristine condition. I sold it for hundreds on Ebay. If only I had a time machine to buy more.[/QUOTE]
Funny you mentioned that... I got mine for about that price there since they were clearancing out SNES games. What a great deal that was!

My best recent deal...
Professor Layton 3DS for $6.25 around launch date at Target

The story...
I bought it as part of a B2G1. Target had just started their PM policy. Sears was running a sale for $20 off. When they did the match, they took $20 off the RETURN VALUE. I literally was shocked. :drool:

I got Suikoden 2 and the guide at a yard sale for $5.

This is more of a flip but I bought 6 random Wii games on clearance from TRU for 5 a piece and traded them into Blockbuster for 30 each. So turned 30 into 180.

Consoles:
Saturn brand new from Toys R Us for $29.99
Vita First Edition bundle new from Sam's Club for $118.xx around 6 weeks ago

Games:
Midway Arcade Treasures 2 for PS2 for $0.01 at Toys R Us
Star Wars Clone Wars/Tetris Worlds for XBox for $0.01 at Circuit City
Various PS2 games for $0 - $5 when Toys R Us had a coupon for $10 off any 2 games and games that were $4.98 or less were free
Also at Toys R Us in 2005, when the green tag sale went to 90% off. All game in the clearance were $0.70 - $5 and many weren't actually tagged with the green tag but still were part of the clearance and rang up at the 90% off price.
Already mentioned, but the 2004 Circuit City $4.99 clearance. I really built up my PS2, XBox, Gamecube and GBA collections from that deal.
Rock Band 1 Special Edition for PS3 with all the instruments for $14.99 at KMart
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock Band Kit for PS3 for $9.98 at Toys R Us

Around 2002, I bought an auction on ebay that was from an estate. It had 4 various SNES games sealed and as I looked at the picture, I noticed one was Chrono Trigger. The others were unimportant to me as at the time they were $20-$30 games. What made this auction better was that the title of the auction only said something like "4 new Super Nintendo games" or something like that. The seller didnt know anything about games or sold them before. Doing a search for Chrono Trigger or any of the other games didnt pull this auction up because there were no game titles in the auction title. I watched the auction for the week and at the end, I sniped it for about $90 shipped. I get the game and its mint and has the factory seal with the seam on the back. I have kept it all these years tucked away and have seen the game sell for upwards of $3000 at times. Of course the game's value goes up and down, but knowing I got it for the price I did (I sold the other 3 games and got my money back later on because of them being sealed years later) makes it that much better. Essentially I got the Chrono Trigger for free after selling the other games and may one day put it up for a BIN of a few thousand and let it sit there. (if I can get myself to let it go as it keeps company with these games in the following picture, all of which are FACTORY SEALED)

000_1249.jpg

This is only a small portion of my older factory sealed games. (and yes, I have open copies that I play/have played of most the games)

My best deal was getting a GameCube component cable for $5. I'm surprised I even found it in a random used entertainment store much less for $5. It's pretty clear no one involved had any idea what it was and I'm happy I was able to pick it up. :bouncy:

[quote name='addicted2games']Around 2002, I bought an auction on ebay that was from an estate. It had 4 various SNES games sealed and as I looked at the picture, I noticed one was Chrono Trigger. The others were unimportant to me as at the time they were $20-$30 games. What made this auction better was that the title of the auction only said something like "4 new Super Nintendo games" or something like that. The seller didnt know anything about games or sold them before. Doing a search for Chrono Trigger or any of the other games didnt pull this auction up because there were no game titles in the auction title. I watched the auction for the week and at the end, I sniped it for about $90 shipped. I get the game and its mint and has the factory seal with the seam on the back. I have kept it all these years tucked away and have seen the game sell for upwards of $3000 at times. Of course the game's value goes up and down, but knowing I got it for the price I did (I sold the other 3 games and got my money back later on because of them being sealed years later) makes it that much better. Essentially I got the Chrono Trigger for free after selling the other games and may one day put it up for a BIN of a few thousand and let it sit there. (if I can get myself to let it go as it keeps company with these games in the following picture, all of which are FACTORY SEALED)

000_1249.jpg

This is only a small portion of my older factory sealed games. (and yes, I have open copies that I play/have played of most the games)[/QUOTE]

the chrono cross clock! i have that (somewhere)!

best recent deal i got was phantasy star universe cib (360) for the price of...nothing! thanks to the shopkick app and a gamestop giftcard i got from the app.

picked up M.U.S.H.A. for 3 bucks about 8 years ago. if it only had the case and manual:hot:

and 2 years ago i picked up MUA Gold edition for 5 bucks. best deals i can think of at the moment.

I got a PS2 for a $0.01 from Fry's around '07. It was noted that it was a non-functional unit, but it works 9 out of 10 times powering it on lol.

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']Cheapest new, sealed game in-store: :ps2: Cars for $0.25 @ Sears (those days are long gone. The cashier offered a 1 year disc warranty for another $0.02 if I wanted it...)

Cheapest used game: :ps2: Pipe Mania for $0.02 @ Gamestop (can't argue getting a game for something you find on the ground commonly enough)

Best value new, sealed game in-store: Debatable between :wii: Wii Play Motion Bundle for $10, :wii: Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Bundle for $10, or the more recent :ps3: Move Bundle for $15, all @ Sears

Best value used game: :wii: CIB mint Xenoblade Chronicles for $32 @ Gamestop, just a couple months before everyone went crazy on it.

Best online deal for flip: :wii: Oregon Trail for roughly $10 as part of a Gamefly sale, sold it for $50 shortly afterwards

Best thrift store deal for flip:
gameboycolor.gif
Game Boy Color with
gba.gif
Gameshark SP for $6.50, sold both for around $75ish total

But my worst deal ever? Trading in my launch purchase copy of
ps1.gif
Mega Man Legends 2 for $5 at a local Bookman's (used media store in AZ), before it shot up in popularity / price.[/QUOTE]

The Bookman in my area just sells Books. No other media. Not that I know off of course. :lol:

Sears is dead to me; no more clearance and videogames in general. :/

I don't really have much to brag about. :lol: But here goes.

Games:
:ps2: Persona 3 FES & Persona 4 - Free / Borrowed it from a Friend two years ago. We talked about it and he asked if I wanted it. Glad he let me have it. Haha.
:wii: Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess - Free

Sega Genesis + 2 Controllers and 6 Games for $5
Lot of 30+ PS2, Genesis, SNES, and NES Games, Slim Silver PS2, 3-in-1 Gamesystem (NES/SNES/GEN), and multiple controllers + wires for $50.

I'm sure with more time, more awesome things would eventually come my way.

Woot! No picture but I just picked up an absolute mint copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy for $15.70 + $50 gift card from GameStop.

Best part - I got the gift card in place of a Mortal Kombat Komplete PS3 as GameStop was OOS when I bought a PS3 last year. I really dislike GameStop and try to never buy there, but damn I am happy tonight!

Hell, the Club Nintendo code still worked... I'm dumbfounded.

[quote name='MasaTFC']the chrono cross clock! i have that (somewhere)![/QUOTE]

I actually JUST found one of those at a goodwill for a buck (complete with box etc). Are those valuable at all? I am having trouble really finding auctions for it on ebay.

edit: how did one originally get the clock? I thought I read somewhere it was a preorder bonus?

Got a Slim PS3 back when they were $300, for $200 thanks to a gamestop coupon. This was when I was scrounging every penny to get one, and was a mere $100 short. Gamestop was good to me that day, I can't tell you how excited I was:bouncy:

Shining Force CD for 50 cents at a yard sale 2 or 3 years ago.

Was worth about $50 at the time and now selling for $100+. The craziest thing about this is I found it in the afternoon at a huge / very crowded regional yard sale event...no idea how it lasted so long. I admit I still don't think I have tested it as it is in a massive backlog and I can't remember ever hooking up my Sega CD system within the last 10 years. It is complete and everything is in great shape though, so I am sure it will work fine.

I have gotten hundreds of rare games at 50%-80% off the going rates, but I think this is probably the best deal overall.

Hmmmm, I guess it's kind of a tie between either Xenoblade Chronicles CIB for $35 or so, .Hack Quarantine part 4 CIB for $30 or so, or finally (this involved some flipping) I got the Halo 4 LE Console for essentially free. A week or two before release I presold two console DLC card's, and sent them out the day of release ($280 collectively). Spent $350 apiece on the two bundles, got two $20 GC's from BB for buying them there, a $20 RZ cert from preordering, sold one on CL for $320 minus the DLC card, and the standard game (as I bought the LE) from the one I kept on ebay for $40. All and all before tax I broke even and ended up with a 320 GB slim console + Two Halo 4 LE Controller's.

Well a few off the top of my head:

Super Nintendo, Sega Dreamcast and Gameboy Advance for $20 (Craigslist)
Conan, Qubed, Condemned 2, Bionic Commando and X-Blades for Xbox 360 - $0 (Toys R Us)
Metroid Prime Trilogy, The Conduit Special Edition, Fallout 3 (360) -$45 or $60 (Gamestop B2G1)

I just got a 120 gb PS3 with a non working drive off of Craigslist for a trade of my Xbox 1.

Took the ps3 apart to clean the lens it and work perfectly again. That was a good deal.

Either the 3DO with about 14 games for $5 at a yard sale or 27 NES games, about 20 of which were CIB including dragon warrior 3 for $10 at a yard sale

I've never really paid much attention to what the current going rate was for some of my old games. I never knew Mega Man Legends 2 was worth so much. I picked that up years ago at an FYE for under $10 (complete, pretty good condition). Went ahead and made a listing for it on Amazon :D

This will date me. I picked up 3 Sega Netlinks for Sega Saturn for $5 at Toys R Us. I traded them in for $100 cash and $125 in credit to a local shop. Also, when Hills or Ames was going out of business. Bought N64's and PSO's for $20 a piece. They were returns and as is. There was nothing wrong with them. Sold those for a nice penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
My best deal was the penny games from Amazon Warehouse deals last year. Bought about 7 of them and kept Crysis 2 and traded the rest in for Best Buy credit

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']You truly are a CAG in training OP. I've had some amazing deals. When I was really young I remember grabbing Earthbound on clearance for $10... too bad I have no idea what happened to it. I also bought my copy of Suikoden 2 from a friend for $10 (also about 10 years ago). If you want something more recent I grabbed a NES Bonk's Adventure from a retro game shop for $8 a little over a year ago or even more recent I grabbed a move bundle yesterday on clearance for $15. The best deal?? You can take your pic, it would easily be Earthbound if I still had it.... it's easily Earthbound even tho I don't still have it.[/QUOTE]

Well, compared to a lot of people on this forum, I definitely would be. But I definitely have gotten my fair share of good deals. :)

This thread has exploded WAY more than I thought. Some of the deals in here just make me wanna quit. LOL

Biggest one that comes to my mind is when I picked up an NES at a garage sale with about 6 or 7 games for $10. One of the games was Panic Restaurant that I end up selling on ebay for $350.

I've had some many good deals, it's really hard to list them.. ($1 used PSP/PS2 games at Bestbuy Recently, $1.99 copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2 for PSP at pawn shop, $8 guitar hero/dj hero bundles at TRU a couple years back...)

CAG has turned me on to some great deals, I am really glad I found this website.

bread's done
Back