Kickstarter for Veronica Mars movie UPDATE: Funded in less than a day. $2 million+

Wow. This would be really cool if it happened. I hope they can bring back the Season 1 charm, though. Season 3 felt like a sellout.

I might pledge near the end, if I can spare it.

My guess is they already have outside investors lined up who are willing to put some money into the project if they can gather at least $2 million dollars of funding on their own. If you have stars who aren't asking for ridiculous salaries, it isn't unreasonable to be able to make a movie for low millions.

Warner Bros. still owns the rights, so I'd imagine they'd have some vested interest in making sure it's a good product. $2 million seems to be on the low end of the projected budget. Hell, they might reach that number by the end of today.

Kickstarter is one of those random ridiculous things that people like to dump money into. I haven't ever gotten into it. I do hope this gets a movie done though, and it isn't just some randoms that made the kickstarter (link blocked at work)

The project was started by Rob Thomas, the creator of VM. He says he's in, Kristin Bell is in, and Warner Bros. is in. If the funding is successful (1.22m as of this post), the movie would have a limited theatrical release in early 2014, and be released on disc and streaming platforms shortly after that.

Backed this for sure, I love Veronica Mars! Plus, this Kickstarter could be the model for a bunch of revival projects on Kickstarter like DFA was for games. Firefly revival anyone?

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Backed this for sure, I love Veronica Mars! Plus, this Kickstarter could be the model for a bunch of revival projects on Kickstarter like DFA was for games. Firefly revival anyone?[/QUOTE]Joss Whedon is a busy, busy man. But one can hope.

If they do end up making this movie, I hope they bring back Ken Marino's character. He was probably my favorite character throughout the entire series.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Joss Whedon is a busy, busy man. But one can hope.

If they do end up making this movie, I hope they bring back Ken Marino's character. He was probably my favorite character throughout the entire series.[/QUOTE]

I hope they bring back Clint. I love that guy. (I would have said Mac, but it looks like she's already gonna be back in it.)

Also WTF bringing back Piz. Nobody liked him, take a hint Rob Thomas!

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I hope they bring back Clint. I love that guy. (I would have said Mac, but it looks like she's already gonna be back in it.)

Also WTF bringing back Piz. Nobody liked him, take a hint Rob Thomas![/QUOTE]

Who was Clint? I can't remember that character.

1.9 right now. I'm interested to see how high it gets by the end of the Kickstarter if it's going to make $2 million+ it's first day.

[quote name='ID2006']Who was Clint? I can't remember that character.[/QUOTE]

I got his name wrong, it was Cliff. He was the public defender friend of the Mars family.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I got his name wrong, it was Cliff. He was the public defender friend of the Mars family.[/QUOTE]

Oh, right. I remember him. Wow, it's been quite a while since I saw this show. Anyway, yeah, he was great. This show had a lot of great characters.

And also Piz.
:puke:

I was just watching the video and it raised almost 50 G's. Crazy, the amount just kept going up. I guess a lot of folks want to see this movie get made. The video posted was quite funny as well. I kept staring at Ryan going "what show did I just see him on?" It was 2 Broke Girls.

Now if someone would just start one for the the next season of Boss I would be very happy.

I've never seen the show, but fans raising $2 million in less than a day is rather impressive. What's even more so is that almost all of the high dollar backer rewards are already filled.

Only one $5,000 reward left! Get it while you can Veronica Mars fanatics! :whee:

...I can see them adding more backer rewards soon. A movie poster only reward would probably be pretty popular.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I've never seen the show, but fans raising $2 million in less than a day is rather impressive. What's even more so is that almost all of the high dollar backer rewards are already filled.

Only one $5,000 reward left! Get it while you can Veronica Mars fanatics! :whee:

...I can see them adding more backer rewards soon. A movie poster only reward would probably be pretty popular.[/QUOTE]

Movie poster and tee shirt without the dvd would get me to up my backing.

Goddamn. I think they could seriously bankroll this movie primarily if not entirely through Kickstarter if they wanted to assuming they have enough swag to give away.

bread's done
Back