Pikachu Special Edition 3DS XL $199.99

VetraX

CAGiversary!
tumblr_mi7vglSBCk1s48lqno1_500.jpg

Comes out on the 24th of March, a Sunday, in North America. EB Canada already has it on their site.

Could possibly be price matched for $149.99 via Superstore's recent 3DS XL deal, which is YMMV, unfortunately.

More info via this link.

Personally, I think it looks really nice. As far as white 3DS XL's available in North America go, it's far more to my liking than the pink one.

Do people buy multiple handhelds, or do they trade in their old ones, or are these late-launched colours targeted at people who don't have the console yet, or what? I prefer a white 3DS to the one I have, but I would never spend more money on something I already own like that.

[quote name='Jogurt the Yogurt']Do people buy multiple handhelds, or do they trade in their old ones, or are these late-launched colours targeted at people who don't have the console yet, or what? I prefer a white 3DS to the one I have, but I would never spend more money on something I already own like that.[/QUOTE]

In previous years, when new revisions have come out, EB had offered good trade-in deals. These days, we just ended up selling our old systems (like our two OG 3DS) after we bought at XLs. Probably not going to pick up the Pikachu model though, cute as it is. I've spent enough money on 3DS hardware for a while.

[quote name='EvilMario']In previous years, when new revisions have come out, EB had offered good trade-in deals. These days, we just ended up selling our old systems (like our two OG 3DS) after we bought at XLs. Probably not going to pick up the Pikachu model though, cute as it is. I've spent enough money on 3DS hardware for a while.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, upgrading from a 3DS to an XL is one thing, and perfectly understandable, but upgrading from one colour to another is something I don't really get.

I've trade a white DS lite to a black one through eb games because it was cheap to do it. New system cost me $11. I got a new colour, buttons weren't worn out and a new battery.

I still have my launch day Nintendo DS (fat grey one), which was my only DS hardware purchase. Maybe one day I'll get a 3ds XL. Sure won't be this one though, I was into Pokemon once upon a time but a bit too old to display that now.

[quote name='strife18']I still have my launch day Nintendo DS (fat grey one), which was my only DS hardware purchase. Maybe one day I'll get a 3ds XL. Sure won't be this one though, I was into Pokemon once upon a time but a bit too old to display that now.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, a DS Phat? I couldn't wait to get rid of mine when the Lite came out (I think I've owned every version of the DS though; I have device upgrade fever, apparently). If you ever do upgrade to a 3DS XL the difference in brightness alone will blow your mind :)

EB is doing pre-orders, but they're limited to one (and in some cases, two) per store. Minimum deposit is $50, and they're offering $10 extra for an old system (plus another $10 with an EDGE Card).

@ Derfel

I've been in the market for a 3DS for a while now. Like some people on here, I've already stocked up on titles over the past two years, with the intention of buying the system at one point or another. I was dead set on getting an XL recently, but I've heard that the upscaling of DS and older 3DS titles isn't the greatest. Could you shed some light on that maybe?

As far as I can tell, that seems to be the only real negative of owning an XL over a regular 3DS, maybe other than not being comfortable with the size.

I buy some of these for one reason, look at the prices of the Zelda 3ds on Amazon. I may be a gamer but some stuff has to go at some point. Might as well get more than your money back.

[quote name='VetraX']@ Derfel

I've been in the market for a 3DS for a while now. Like some people on here, I've already stocked up on titles over the past two years, with the intention of buying the system at one point or another. I was dead set on getting an XL recently, but I've heard that the upscaling of DS and older 3DS titles isn't the greatest. Could you shed some light on that maybe?

As far as I can tell, that seems to be the only real negative of owning an XL over a regular 3DS, maybe other than not being comfortable with the size.[/QUOTE]

The XL has the same screen resolution(s) as the original 3DS, so there is no upscaling of 3DS games. The pixels are bigger due to the larger screen size, of course, which can contribute to a slightly "chunkier" appearance than on the original 3DS. For me this has never been an issue; I love the increased screen size and have never once thought that any of the games looked worse than on the original 3DS. (I also greatly prefer the DSi XL to smaller DS models, so I may be slightly biased).

As for original DS games, if you play them in the default full-screen mode I imagine that the difference in resolutions could make the upscaled image look awkward, as the numeric values of the DS screen resolution do not scale smoothly into the 3DS resolution. However, if you hold the Start and Select buttons when you start a DS game from the main menu, it will display the game at its correct resolution (which will of course have the side effect of not filling th entire screen). While I very rarely play DS games on the 3DS (I like my DSi XL too much to get rid of it), that is my preferred method of "DS on 3DS" gameplay.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about (showing both versions):

ibxVkLPIQPIzkm.png

The only other supposed downside of the XL vs. the original 3DS is that the XL speakers apparently have a lower max volume. This has never been an issue for me or something that I even noticed, but I have read reports that other people have been disappointed by this difference.

One more thing that I really like about the XL compared to the original is that the Start, Select and Home buttons beneath the bottom screen are actually discrete buttons, whereas on the original the buttons are just little panels on a bar below the screen. In my opinion, this is a huge improvement. The XL also has a bit better battery life than the old 3DS and is more comfortable to hold for extended play sessions (for me, anyway).

All in all, I would never go back to the original model after using the XL. I love it. But that's just my opinion. :)

Thanks Derfel.

[quote name='poxsc']This edition of the 3DS will be truly limited. Good luck finding one.[/QUOTE]

Evidence?

[quote name='VetraX']Fair enough. Best bet now would be Wal-mart. Maybe Toys 'R' Us and Best Buy/Futureshop?[/QUOTE]

Make sure you get there before the store opened. From what I have been told by people, the most any of those stores are getting is just a few units.

Thank goodness I went to wal mart before it opened! When I got there was some people waiting at the door. When it opened, I followed one to electronics where we waited for 10-15 minutes until someone showed up with a cart. During that time a few others joined the line only to find out they only had two units available. Lucky me as I was the second on line!

I went an hour after my Wal-mart opened, and they didn't even have them out yet. Went to Best Buy when they opened at 11am, and they had none in stock, apparently. Didn't even show up in their system. Possible they've yet to scan them in at the back merchandising? Anyways, it's only 200 some RZ points I missed out on. Stuck with the one I bought at Wal-mart.

News in the States that Target are running out of stock today. Hot deal they've going too, with the $40 off or something like that. Kinda wish I lived south of the border in these cases, but oh well. I've gotten some good deals on handhelds over the years... was about time I payed full price for one.

I had pre-ordered mine at Chapters but I'n not sure if they received enough stock because my shipment was delayed. I didn't want to take a chance so I checked the Wal-Mart website and it showed stock at a location 10 minutes from me. It was almost 9pm on Sunday. I went there and there actually was one left. i picked it up and went home and cancelled my Chapters order.

The local Superstore always sells the regular 3DS XLs for $149.99....so why did I fork out $50 more for an electric mouse version? Madness.

Toys R US -will- price match TARGET PRE-sale. Because I tried after and the giftcard puts refund price at 159.99, so they could not PM to Targets price so even though I paid $191 if I wanted to return it I would only get 159........

Walmart might Pricematch post-sale since they didnt have a sale...

[quote name='Robotron2084']I had pre-ordered mine at Chapters but I'n not sure if they received enough stock because my shipment was delayed. I didn't want to take a chance so I checked the Wal-Mart website and it showed stock at a location 10 minutes from me. It was almost 9pm on Sunday. I went there and there actually was one left. i picked it up and went home and cancelled my Chapters order.

The local Superstore always sells the regular 3DS XLs for $149.99....so why did I fork out $50 more for an electric mouse version? Madness.[/QUOTE]

I got my shipping confirmation last night. :)

Good to hear canuckcollector. I just didn't want to take the chance and miss out.

btw I am really enjoying the system and my free Mario game. I've never found the 3D impressive at all in the stores but the Luigi game and Mario 3D both are excellent.

I just got an interesting email from best buy.

On your recent visit to Bestbuy.ca you ordered Nintendo 3DS XL Pikachu Edition. Our Lowest Price Guarantee ensures you the lowest price for shopping with us and we have great news: The price of this title has dropped from your original purchase price to $159.99.

To ensure you receive this title on time, we prepared your shipment and invoice in advance. Unfortunately, the price on your invoice was not adjusted before the product shipped.

However, there is no need to worry. We are presently in the process of refunding the difference in price (plus eligible taxes) onto your credit card. As a result, you will see two line items on your credit card statement: one line for the original purchase; another for the refund.

We are working as quickly as possible to process your price adjustment. If you do not see the refund within 10 business days please contact us at 1 866 237-8289.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We thank you for your loyalty to Best Buy and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Sincerely,

The Bestbuy.ca Team

I got $10 back from trus... They won't match the $30 offer... Should've just ordered from a different place...

bread's done
Back