Do you have more money or more time?

There should absolutely have been a third option: neither of either, but yeah there's always enough credit card debt in the world to keep the backlog beast well-fed and seemingly never enough hours in the week to battle it into submission.

I don't know to rate what I have, but I'd like more of both.

Though I do have a pretty good amount of free time - it just ends up being weird hours half the time.

Definitely though in the long run, I think free time is worth more than having a lot of money. I would not want to be making a ton of money and have no time to enjoy it, or other things. As it is now I get to spend less time than I like doing some of my hobbies because of my crazy schedule.

I wouldn't say I have LOTS of money, but definitely feel time is worth more than anything else in the world. I feel like time is always going to be my greatest enemy and the scale for that angst starts at reluctantly going to bed nightly with the feeling that I could be doing much better things to wishing I had more than a few days of vacation time this year because I have the means and a huge list of destinations I'd love to visit all the way to holy snikes.. I'm 30 and I feel like the things I was doing a year ago was just happening yesterday.

Money. I'm not rolling in cash or anything, but I do alright for myself. But I do work a lot so free time is no where near what it was back in college or even grad school. The stress can be high at times too, so like all things in life it's a trade off. I do like my work though, so that helps as it's usually not torture to be working instead of chilling doing whatever.

And I'm not working like 80+ hours all the time or anything (usually 50-60, sometimes up to 70-80 if a deadline is coming up) so I do have a reasonable amount of free time to hang with the girlfriend, go running, watch some movies and play some games etc. so I'm pretty content overall. Not having, or wanting, kids is a huge help with free time too. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, getting to a good mix is key.

Having a lot of money isn't worthwhile if you have no time to enjoy it. Even more so if you hate your job and are miserable having to work so much.

On the other hand, a lot of free time isn't great if you're stressed about paying the bills and don't have disposable income to enjoy hobbies and travel.

Unfortunately there's a lot of luck involved in getting that mix with the economy still being down. Plenty of people can't find good jobs, and people with good paying jobs can easily be forced into lots of overtime etc. as the employers have all the power since it's so hard to find a better job right now.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Nice mix. If I ever had more money than time I would change my lifestyle as time is one thing I can never get back. I can always make more cash though.[/QUOTE]

this.

I mean, I wish i had more time to finish Fire Emblem Awakening but I'm ok with it. I'm not running around without a break or anything. My job is pretty cushy and I make my own hours more or less.

So while I don't have the ultimate in leisure time (independently wealthy), I'm ok with where I'm at.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, getting to a good mix is key.

Having a lot of money isn't worthwhile if you have no time to enjoy it. Even more so if you hate your job and are miserable having to work so much.

On the other hand, a lot of free time isn't great if you're stressed about paying the bills and don't have disposable income to enjoy hobbies and travel.

Unfortunately there's a lot of luck involved in getting that mix with the economy still being down. Plenty of people can't find good jobs, and people with good paying jobs can easily be forced into lots of overtime etc. as the employers have all the power since it's so hard to find a better job right now.[/QUOTE]
A mix is important. :)

For now I have an adequate amount of both. The scales will be tipped soon towards more time/less money if the Navy furloughs me for 22 unpaid days as is expected.

Time. I need more money so I can keep paying for the necessities (e.g. insurance on my truck) but there's not a whole lot of work around me. I am trying to get my A+ certification so I can have a well-paying job that'll provide a little more money and a little less free time. I'm really wanting a healthy balance of both.

bread's done
Back