Samsung Galaxy S4....did you suffer through the unveiling?

6er

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
UnHoly crap........

If you don't know what I mean, I'm sure that 45 minute trainwreck is on YouTube for replay by now. And What the heck was with the kids teeth?

Also, I want to know why we could get stuck with the slower processor again. Supposedly the 8 core will work with our LTE?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where have you been? Like a year, lol.

My contract is about to be up so I was hoping there would be something exciting, but there wasn't really anything impressive from Samsung in the announcement. Most of the crap they focused on was software-based.

Truth be told I'm thinking the HTC One is looking like a better buy.

Does this change things? Sounds cool...

Samsung Mobile Arcade

I have the HTC EVO 3d(EVO V) and it has issues. they made the battery compartment too big, so many people suffer from constant reboots that are solved by wedging paper around the battery for a tighter fit. This was their 2011 flagship......so I'm weary of another HTC

Last edited by a moderator:
That and HTC has a bad reputation for abandoning phones and never doing upgrades in software of just-released phones.

But I'd think (hope?) that it would be different for their flagship phone. And if it's a popular model there's always great 3rd party ROMs so that's kind've moot.

[quote name='DNukem170']Didn't the S3 just come out, like, 3-4 months ago?[/QUOTE]

They release a new phone every 9 months or so. This way, they don't have to waste time supporting their old phones. I mean, fuck last years customers, amirite?

You can say what you will about Apple, but it's nice to not be completely forgotten about less than a year after buying my device. In fact, the iPod touch I bought in high school (4 years ago) is still able to have the latest version of iOS.

Anyway, I didn't come here to start an iOS vs Android war. I came here to say: who the hell would want this thing? It's fucking huge. If I wanted a device that couldn't fit in my pocket, I'd just carry a table with me.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/is-there-any-point-to-the-samsung-galaxy-s4s-eight-core-
chip-50010664/

The last sentence says it might still be coming to US and UK with the Octa. Also the second article where that guy seems annoyed Samsung won't clairify

And honestly, does ANY android phone maker give updates for even the life of a 2 year contract?

[quote name='BigPopov']That and HTC has a bad reputation for abandoning phones and never doing upgrades in software of just-released phones.

But I'd think (hope?) that it would be different for their flagship phone. And if it's a popular model there's always great 3rd party ROMs so that's kind've moot.[/QUOTE]
This is a bit of an exaggeration. I've had the HTC Incredible S for 2 years and there have been at least 4 updates. They usually have their Android updates 3-4 months after Google releases a vanilla version and relatively consistent with most of their phones.

Everybody always bitches about updates when it comes to their phone because they want it right away. Sony Ericsson on the other hand, came close to screwing all Xperia X10 users by keeping it on Froyo when the phone had the same specs as the Nexus One. I haven't seen another manufacturer do anything like that.

[quote name='6er']http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/is-there-any-point-to-the-samsung-galaxy-s4s-eight-core-
chip-50010664/

The last sentence says it might still be coming to US and UK with the Octa. Also the second article where that guy seems annoyed Samsung won't clairify

And honestly, does ANY android phone maker give updates for even the life of a 2 year contract?[/QUOTE]
This is why you get a Nexus.;)

[quote name='dohdough']This is a bit of an exaggeration. I've had the HTC Incredible S for 2 years and there have been at least 4 updates. They usually have their Android updates 3-4 months after Google releases a vanilla version and relatively consistent with most of their phones.[/QUOTE]

That's great that you bought a phone that HTC ended up supporting, but that's not the case with every phone. There have been phones that HTC pumped out that never received updates, and phones that were promised updates that never happened.

For example, the HTC Desire was one of HTC's flagship devices and promised updates. It never happened. I don't think the device even got a year of support from the initial sale.

And BTW, I don't have a Desire S. I've had numerous HTC phones which I've been more than happy with, but let's call a spade a spade.

[quote name='dohdough']This is a bit of an exaggeration. I've had the HTC Incredible S for 2 years and there have been at least 4 updates. They usually have their Android updates 3-4 months after Google releases a vanilla version and relatively consistent with most of their phones.

Everybody always bitches about updates when it comes to their phone because they want it right away. Sony Ericsson on the other hand, came close to screwing all Xperia X10 users by keeping it on Froyo when the phone had the same specs as the Nexus One. I haven't seen another manufacturer do anything like that.

This is why you get a Nexus.;)[/QUOTE]

My first Android phone was the EVO 4G. When they updated it to Gingerbread it was because the owners bitched about why HTC at first was not willing to update it. Some updates HTC would say the phone was not capable of running the update you the community would put out the update for rooted phones and it would work fine. With the EVO 4G the only way to get updates of Android at times was to root. They would however send out updates that fixed bugs, but it was a pain to get them to update the OS.

Samsung has been a little better about updating the OS and it not just being an update for bug fixes. The real issue is the carriers holding the updates. I have read that Samsung does intend to put out a 4.2.2 update for the S3 and Note 2 however I'm sure that wont be out till after the S4 comes out. Hell the EVO LTE came out around the same time as the S3 and chances are will never see 4.2.2 unless it is from the community. The lack of updates outside of bug fixes, no SD card and not being able to take out my battery is why I left from HTC. I do however like some things about Sense more than I do Touchwiz.

[quote name='soliddragon']I agree with BigPopov, the only i dislike with HTC is the lack of sd card slot[/QUOTE]

Also considering the HTC phone, but along with no SD slot, the lack of removable battery is an outright deal breaker for me. If/when the battery life starts to decrease, I don't want to be charging a phone 3-4 times a day so I can use it. I like to get about 3 years out of a phone usually, and with a lack of common "features" like SD cards and removable batteries, I suspect I'd be lucky to get to 3-4 years with the One.

Samsung is a proven thing, but I was also really disappointed the processor wasn't significantly better.

[quote name='berzirk']Also considering the HTC phone, but along with no SD slot, the lack of removable battery is an outright deal breaker for me. If/when the battery life starts to decrease, I don't want to be charging a phone 3-4 times a day so I can use it. I like to get about 3 years out of a phone usually, and with a lack of common "features" like SD cards and removable batteries, I suspect I'd be lucky to get to 3-4 years with the One.

Samsung is a proven thing, but I was also really disappointed the processor wasn't significantly better.[/QUOTE]

The 8 core, if we do get it, is half A15. If not the quad is a slightly overclocked version of the HTC One A9 based processor

[quote name='6er']The 8 core, if we do get it, is half A15. If not the quad is a slightly overclocked version of the HTC One A9 based processor[/QUOTE]

That's the part that worries me the most. I don't want them to Apple us, and do such a miniscule upgrade with some bullshit software feature that nobody wants (Siri) then tell us that the world has just changed again.

This HTC v. GIV decision is going to be tough. Still running a Droid X, and that goddamn thing lags out of its mind, force closes apps left and right, signal sucks, Wifi seldom stays connected. It's the last time I'll ever buy a Motorola phone, it's been so bad.

This is why if I had a choice, I'd get an Xperia Z(cause I'd like to be able to talk on the phone while I'm in the shower) or wait for more manufacturers to join the vanilla Android bandwagon. Luckily, I'm not in the market.:lol:

[quote name='sendme'] The real issue is the carriers holding the updates.[/QUOTE]
Bingo.

Yeah that presentation was boring. Too much fluff. However I will be most likely buying the S4. It's really too bad the Charge got abandoned so quickly..... all the review sites were raving about it then after the GB update they dumped it. Lately my Charge has been getting really hot while using data and most apps are slowing it to a crawl.

Glad to see Otterbox is on top of the situation...and yes I am going to tank that thing with the defender case lol. I have learned my lesson....I DON'T NEED 32GB's of storage!!!!

oh....how do you guys feel about it being 5 inches? I am just thinking of the profile of it with an otterbox covering it on a belt clip on my waist. I have had a few bumps into things and people with the thing on my belt.

Reports are coming through it will be the A9 based Snapdragon S600. The fastest A9....but no A15. GuessIm waiting to see what has an S800 or Tegra 4. Just don't want to buy a phone that will have a 1 gen old processor the day it is released. For battery life improvements more than anything. For example, the S600 is 1 gen newer than the GS3 processor yet is 40% more power efficient supposedly.

Maybe google will use that Motorola purchase to bring us an 8 core nexus with 3500 mah battery and sd card slot. It's not far off from the razor maxx hd.

[quote name='6er']If they learn how to put an micro sd slot in I would[/QUOTE]

I dunno who you were quoting (apparently you didn't feel it was relevant to quote), but my Samsung S3 has a micro sd slot.

I'm sure it was to the post above his recommending a Nexus device. In which he responds he would if it only had a microsd slot.

[quote name='ITDEFX']wow I am shocked that the HTC one is not coming to verizon. It looked like a promising alternative to the S4.[/QUOTE]

Whoa...no Verizon? There hasn't ever been a better time for HTC to release a good phone, then they don't release it on one of the largest mobile companies? I wonder if Samsung has some sort of exclusivity agreement with them to prevent the HTC from being carried. If those rats at Verizon try to charge me and my wife an upgrade fee to get our next phones, and don't waive it, I'll walk right over to ATT and see about the HTC or G4.

[quote name='berzirk']Whoa...no Verizon? There hasn't ever been a better time for HTC to release a good phone, then they don't release it on one of the largest mobile companies? I wonder if Samsung has some sort of exclusivity agreement with them to prevent the HTC from being carried. If those rats at Verizon try to charge me and my wife an upgrade fee to get our next phones, and don't waive it, I'll walk right over to ATT and see about the HTC or G4.[/QUOTE]

Well my wife got hit with an upgrade fee 2 months after she got her Iphone 5 :( When I called to Verizon to explain this shit, they said it's for the video tutorials and tech support and I said this is bullshit because I can watch youtube videos and that the Iphone is so simple a Monkey can operate it... ended up taking half off the upgrade fee.

So not only did we get a 30 dollar upgrade fee charged to her account (thanks best buy for not telling us about it), she lost her unlimited data (expected) and her 12% data discount which verizon never said we would lose. This pisses me off.

yeah cell companies do everything they can to remove that kind've stuff.

Sprint got me a couple years back with a forced account change, a month later an exec apologized saying some accounts were incorrectly in the system and the upgrade was not mandatory. Sprint? sorry, your account is changed now, BTW don't forget if you cancel you owe us $350.

that's telecoms companies for you. they don't give a fuck.

[quote name='ITDEFX']wow I am shocked that the HTC one is not coming to verizon. It looked like a promising alternative to the S4.[/QUOTE]

The HTC One may not be going to Verizon, but something similar to it probably will come to Verizon. Like how instead of getting the One X like the other carriers, Verizon got the Droid DNA.

Honestly I feel like I got screwed when I got the Droid Charge two years ago...it's like almost everything before it and after it got ICS and JB updates. At this point I am concerned about getting a phone that will have enough OS updates to make it last til the next upgrade.

I wouldn't say before it, I don't think the Fascinate ever got ICS. I still remember having that POS....shudder.

Anyone that is concerned about getting OS updates should just straight up get a Nexus or iPhone. Those are the only models that get quick, consistent, and "long-term" support. Every other manufacturer just waffles it and if they don't, then the carriers will unless one wants to c-mod.

I'll give Samsung a little credit, they've been doing better with the updates. they recently just updated some of the older Galaxy S2 models to Jelly Bean. Granted it's not the very newest version (that's 4.4.2 I think), but It's better than they've done in the past.

Yeah they only really do that with the flagship Galaxy series though. So they are a somewhat safe bet. They still do the usual release + drop support on plenty of their other non Galaxy phones.

I just tell people that they should be happy with the phone as it is when they buy it, because that may never change. Expecting updates and bug fixes shouldn't be such a big deal , but it seems like it is.

I've still got my Charge somewhere. That was the replacement I received for suffering through the Fascinate.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I am wondering what I can do with my two droid charges in wifi mode once I get the S4?[/QUOTE]

I've used my original Droid as an alarm clock since getting the Thunderbolt which in turn has been replaced with the Stratosphere, Droid RAZR, and now Galaxy Note 2.

I was reading on life hacker somewhere that if you just use GPS mode, it can still track you on Navigator but the maps will be blurry until you enable data..meh.

My nephew loves my old Samsung Moment. He only just recently broke it after having it for a couple years. He would play "maps" all the time

Even more amazing is how easily entertained 3/4 year olds are.

I'm okay with my previous Samsung after all new apps are being introduce after months and what is new now will become old after months because another apps will come.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I was reading on life hacker somewhere that if you just use GPS mode, it can still track you on Navigator but the maps will be blurry until you enable data..meh.[/QUOTE]
Not a whole lot you can do with it to be honest. Portable video/music player, you could install retroarch on it and have an emulator device. I never did find a use for mine, probably should have sold it.

I ordered an S4. Getting it Saturday. The benchmarks are not far off the octa.

Read the S4 vs HTC One comparo on GSMArena if you haven't.

My EVO 3d was a HTC flagship when it launched and they have overheating, bad digitizers, and battery compartment and connections hardware flaws.

And as my 3d decided to remind me of these when the pre order was announced last week, sealed the deal

[quote name='ITDEFX']http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DOW_IuZQ-5E

:hot: Holy cow..... does one need an invisishield installed after that?[/QUOTE]

Lol at the comments, yeah the guys tries pennies AFTER the serrated blade?

Rumor is the Motorola X phone that Google heads are personally overseeing will have something called "sapphire glass" that is 3 x stronger than gorilla, *which is what the S4 has.

If all the rumors are true about the X phone though(2.4 Ghz s800(bigLITTLE possible), 2 GB or more DDR3, 5000 mah or more battery while have a profile similar to all the other flagships), not one would want anything else, lol. I know I would probably be selling my S4 this fall

[quote name='6er']thats is interesting, and yeah, Samsung isnt that good at secrets.

look at this one. the xperia Z gets wasted.[/QUOTE]

More like the screen protector is getting wasted. He mentions in another video that the phone doesn't have the Sony logo on it, but that the screen protector does. Also, you can tell that he's being a lot more careful when chopping at the Samsung. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't slice his hand open.

[quote name='dohdough']More like the screen protector is getting wasted. He mentions in another video that the phone doesn't have the Sony logo on it, but that the screen protector does. Also, you can tell that he's being a lot more careful when chopping at the Samsung. Frankly, I'm surprised he didn't slice his hand open.[/QUOTE]

He said it was part of the phone didn't he? I think he meant that was the layer that makes it shatterproof?

[quote name='ITDEFX']http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/2...-proof-galaxy-s4-is-in-the-works/#more-106039

HMM....

I am really starting to wonder if I should just skip the HTC One/S4 and wait for something else that's coming up that will be faster?[/QUOTE]

The problem is, as a guy at work pointed out to me, what the heck are most people going to do with that power? And he has a point. My EVO 3D can play NOVA 3 pretty well. little to no lag. So, the best games are running good on 2 year old designs. They HAVE to do that to get good sales anyway, and the GPU'S themselves are being released faster than dev can optimize games for anyway. Think of it, it will take a few years before Vita hits its potentiall, and its using a ARM and has a ton of AAA studios working on it. If you are running fine with an older phone NOW, then you probably aren't someone who would use that phone to its max potential anyway(not that you could anyway unless you are a benchmark maker)

bread's done
Back