New Civ 5 expansion: Brave New World

dothog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I've been given to talking Civ 5 lately on GGT, but I thought I'd put this info here in case other PC gamers love the Civ.

Civ 5 expansion Brave New World. To be released 9 Jul in the US and 12 Jul everywhere else.

The well-of-souls.com run-down tells you everything about BNW. It's looking pretty good. There's no doubt it will require a tuning patch (similar to G&K's Fall Patch), but they're adding so much new stuff that it's hard to discount the BNW expansion. It should be fun for Civ 5 fans...

EDIT:

First review from Rev3Games is up.  Looks like it'll be worth buying if you enjoy Civ5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFCKEAOjt_s

Last edited by a moderator:
Very excited about this. Definitely sick of leaders being dicks for no reason haha. Any hint of a release date? I am hoping soon, but not holding my breathe.

[quote name='UnicornBang']Definitely sick of leaders being dicks for no reason haha. Any hint of a release date? [/QUOTE]

Release date this summer.

And if you're sick of them being dicks now, wait until they've got ideological tenets to bitch about.

Official release is July 9 in NA and July 12 elsewhere.

Lots of new info coming out from the PAX East demo. Poland, Assyria, Brazil are three known civs of 8 new expansion civs. Culture is changing in a big way. Trade routes will change economics/diplomacy and food/production (intracity sharing of food/hammers/gold? within a civ) significantly. They're adding a "world congress," that's the thing that I'm particularly skeptical of. Trade routes, too, but the world congress seems like it might be a step too far -- my concern is that it might be too easy for the player to control and manipulate. But I appreciate that they're trying to make diplomatic victories something other than gold accumulation.

Watch the PAX demo.

http://youtu.be/Urh0oRLBXiw

I know I should be doing these updates in the OP, but fuck it. Shaka Zulu up in this piece. Also Maria from Portugal.

Adequate video preview of BNW.

There's lots of interesting material there...it's also concerning in some ways. Trade routes and ideologies sound as potentially troublesome as they do promising and complex. I wish he (Ed Beach) hadn't mentioned "diplomatic victory" so off-handedly and discussed the "diplomatic end-game" the reporter alluded to and briefly discussed in this new preview at PC Gamer and also alluded to in this new preview at RPS. I'm not sure about the world congress, it could be good, it could be a lot of hand waving at afterthought mechanics.

I'm really hoping diplomacy between civs improves. I want to be able to represent myself to other civs as they do to me -- I'm tired of diplomacy for the player being, effectively, a "no harm, no foul" thing.

Yeah, you knew Shaka had to show, he's a fan favorite. They were teasing it on Facebook (supposedly) up until the release.

There still should be some first-timer civs announced to join Poland and Brazil. I'm hoping it's something strange.

Bumping this thread for the latest leaks.  Venice and the Shoshone in this thing.  Well-of-souls is the best resource (same link as in OP), it's all data, no bullshit.

This is a large expansion.  I'm a little worried about the amount of micro that will be required for Trade Routes.  For now, I'm excited to get my hands on it.  We'll know by roughly next fall (post-patch) how this second expansion shook out, but they did a decent job generating interest.  Good on you, Firaxis.

Last bump.  There's now a lot of LPs on some aspects of BNW out there, most notably those of Maddjinn (link to first of a two-parter detailing a few new features). 

For those of you still dragging your feet and playing Civ4 (as I was prior to the G&K expansion), BNW probably represents a chance for you to get in on Civ5 at a decent price.  You can at least get Civ5 + All DLC + G&K for next to nothing (Amazon has this bundle that includes XCOM -- it's a ridiculous deal IMO), and if that works for you, you can buy up BNW.  Don't listen to the Civ5 hate, it's based on the complaints of people who played the original game at launch, didn't like what they saw, and spent the next 3 years complaining loudly without giving the game an honest chance post-G&K.  Firaxis has put a lot of time into making Civ5 as good as or better than Civ4.  It still has its flaws, but then, Civ4 certainly wasn't without flaws.

Also, I'm still worried about Trade Route micro.  Shit looks crazy.  It's nice that they gutted the economy for everyone -- gold can no longer be taken for granted.  No more settling on resources for cheap happiness.  It's going to be a good time slogging through this expansion.

Bumping just because the fall patch was released.  It's safe to get in the pool, now, those of you who were holding out.  Plus, there's deals on Civ 5 and BNW all over the place, Steam recently included it in a 75% off sale, and you could get BNW on its own for $9 from newegg (briefly).  More deals will pop. 

The game is good with all the expansions, it's better than Civ 4.

I've been playing 100-200 turns with different Civs, then I usually realize I'm blowing the AI out, and restart and try a new one, or there were a couple other games where everyone declared war on me for taking over a city state that declared war on me, and Venice got a diplotic victory while I was sending 10 nuclear missles to Poland. I'm finally realizing how important allying with city states is, I might start using that social policy tree.

I've been playing on the 6th difficulty, and it's a good challenge. With Egypt, I kill everyone, but I haven't found another civ that I like all that much. My strategy is basically to get ahead with science tech, and build all the wonders that come from that. Building the Great Library early gives me a great head start on the other 7 Civs, so I can build every wonder that I want. This is a pretty common strategy, right?

I've been playing on the 6th difficulty, and it's a good challenge. With Egypt, I kill everyone, but I haven't found another civ that I like all that much. My strategy is basically to get ahead with science tech, and build all the wonders that come from that. Building the Great Library early gives me a great head start on the other 7 Civs, so I can build every wonder that I want. This is a pretty common strategy, right?
What you're doing -- out-teching your opponents -- is a common strategy and a good idea. And the way you're going at, through certain wonders, is generally common in the mid- to late-game as those +Great Scientist wonders become available.

The part I don't endorse is doing that with Great Library. At the more advanced difficulty levels, going for Great Library is not common because it's usually not available to the player as the AI will get there by Turn 40 (at the latest) without fail. Even if it were available, it wouldn't be a sustainable strategy because in going for Great Library you'd be putting yourself behind in other crucial pre-Turn 50 requirements.

To be honest, G. Library is one of the least worthwhile wonders, especially if you're looking at just the early wonders. GL gets you at most ~200 free beakers. And that's it, your civ is back to where it was otherwise, all that infrastructure you delayed to rush GL now needs to be built up: archer/walls (if Immortal or Deity), settler, caravan, you name it. Those are early units you need, especially the settler. There's so many ways to get at that early science besides GL, but there's really only one way to get a solid pre-Turn 100 empire going: efficient production. And GL gets in the way of that.

bread's done
Back