CAGcast #317: Bo Knows Bows

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]This week's topics include: Tomb Raider, SimCity, internet advertising, Japanese ambulances and so much more!

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]227[/podcast]
Download (1 hour 40 minutes) - Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Peer Gynt Suite No.1, Opus 46: In The Hall Of The Mountain King / Bo Knows Ad

WTB:
You Don't Know Bo
Kings Ransom

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
I already know its a good episode before listening . My big issue is getting blocked from verobica belmobt and jessica chobot in all forms of internet and social media . I have arranged a campaign with a couplw of world of warcraft friends to barrage and stampede both miss belmont and chobot for their lack of communication in aocial media with loyal fans like me , also quick reviews tomb raider 9/10 too draggy and ni no kuni 1/10 pokemon clone didnt play it the box just looks ok . Also wombat needs to shave , I saw his real life picture and he looks like bigfoot jr . Ps : wombat is still a douche but I love him and shipwrecks hair looks luke jellybeans in the sun .

Yeah... Cheapy, you really need to set up an emergency plan to take care of Tai in such situations. A reliable friend/babysitter in the building you can ask to come over, or just drop them off there? You said yourself it was more likely to have a car crash rather than something happening at home... so what if that would have happened that night? You guys end up in a coma and Tai, thinking he was abandoned inthe middle of the night, joins a gang of dancing rulebreakers.

As for the blocking ads thing... there's an entire generation that doesn't know a time before "everything" was free on the internet. So there is inevitably a sense of entitlement to their way of thinking. They would have to see a harsher alternative before they can really be okay with allowing ads to intrude upon their experience.

As for finding ads intrusive myself... not too often (pop-ups, heavy scripts, and annoying roll-overs are the exceptions). Though it's one thing to see an Amazon ad using my Amazon history... it's another to see an ad for some other site apparently also using my Amazon browsing history.

And how much of CAG's business model actually depends on the ads? It seems like you do pretty damn well just with product links in forum posts. I know "every little bit helps", but is it still worth the hassle?

Great show this time, guys!

Bo knew it was about time for another cagcast. Thanks fellas! My comments on this cagcast are as follows:

1. I have to agree with Wombat; Cheapy, you should never have left Tai alone in the dark. You don't roll dice when it comes to the health and safety of your children under any circumstances. What Cheapy did was equal to leaving your child in the car while dashing into a store to grab milk and/or cigarettes or whatever. Some people would consider that to be an emergency. Just because the kid is asleep in the back seat and it isn't convenient to wake him up for the 'two minutes' you need to go into the store plus you think he'll cry for the rest of the ride home doesn't make it right or even ok to roll the dice that nothing bad is going to happen during those 'two minutes.' Would you ever forgive yourself if your kid was snatched by a stranger because you took that gamble?! What if Mrs. Cheapy had to go into emergency surgery and the doctors at the hospital wanted you to stay there for whatever reason. In the state where Shipwreck and I are from I would expect a visit from the Children's Protective Service--had I done what you did--and then had the nerve to broadcast online about it via twitter or on a podcast afterward. I'm sorry say this but shame on you Cheapy. You ought to consider making it clear that it is NEVER alright to leave your kids alone and unattended during your next podcast. Had the same thing happened to me I would have woke my kids up and brought them to the hospital with us. They can always take a sick day the next day if it ends up being too long of a night.

TL;DR Tai is far more important than doing whats easy for the sake of convenience.

2. Shipwreck, since you were a big fan of Bo Jackson as a child did you have mixed feelings about your Bengals ending Bo's career? And while on the subject of dual sports stars what are your thoughts on Prime Time (considering he played for the Reds)?

3. Watch This Bitches: you guys should check out the 30 for 30 about the Columbian national soccer team which highlights the story behind Carlos Escobar having his own nephew killed over an own goal he had against team USA.

4. Watch This Part Deux: The Bible miniseries airing on the History channel. Unpopular opinion alert: IMHO the Bible is every bit as good as Game of Thrones series on HBO and I love me some GoT.

5. I'm aware that my chances are nil after my rant in #1., but throw a ticket for me into the Phantom Breaker contest hat. I don't have very many XBL arcade games.

Quote of the podcast "Something is always being stuck into her or something and she's fine. She moans and cries which is expected but, she takes a beating is what I am trying to say." Am I the only one to take this the wrong way?

Holy shit Cheapy, Husband of the Year and Father of the Year all in one evening.

Your wife is in pain and you think that you're getting some? Then she has to call for her own ambulance.

Then, you abandon your 5 year old son in the middle of the night!?!?!

Time to shine up that Asshole of the Year medal you won.

Kudos to Dr. Wombat though for actually saying something that might be useful.

Great show as usual.

Cheapy, sounds like your wife's symptoms are very similar to what my wife went through last month. She ended up having her gall bladder removed. She said that pain was so much worse than the c-section she had when the twins were delivered.

Cheapy has accidentally reenacted the beginning of a 16 bit RPG. Little boy wakes up in his apartment in Japan, and finds a note that says "Mommy and Daddy are gone. We promise to come back. Go back to sleep." The boy tries to sleep and waits for days, but his parents never come back. The boy goes on an adventure to rescue them from a Tokyo that has been overridden with monsters. FINAL FANTASY XVI 1/2: The Wrath of Tai.

I guess you never saw that episode of Louie where he leaves his kids with his neighbors when he has to take his sister to the hospital.

Leaving your son alone is shameful. I would have woke my son up. My wife would have never let me leave him.

PS. Your cavalier and callus attitude make me glad I do not subscribe to you on iTunes.

You guys should watch "The Announcement" ESPN doc on Netflix that talks about Magic Johnson's career and his battle with HIV.

Wow to the story about leaving your son during the er visit. Not sure I would have admitted to something like that and laughed about it during the podcast... I have a 6 year old and have had similar situations with a medical emergency an would never have thought to leave her. Even was in a situation where a friend had to go to the er and I helped watch his kid.

Also learning Japanese is not in your future? What if your wife was unconscious would you be able to make the call to 119 and talk to the dr's at the hospital and know what was going on an make informed decisions if something was seriously wrong with your wife? I would be frustrated at the very least to live in a country and not be able to speak the language.

Not gonna say great show like everyone else.

Dear Tai,

Mama and Papa had to go away for a bit. We have totally not been kidnapped by mean bad guys or anything, so definitely don't worry about that. Just go back to sleep in your room where there are absolutely no monsters hiding in the closet.

Kisses,

Papa

Cheapy, your note to Tai sounded like something a parent would tell their child before murdering the entire family and committing suicide. Absolutely horrifying.

"Go back to sleep son, mommy and daddy will be with you shortly"

*under breath* "in heaven..."

[quote name='my2k2zx2']Cheapy, sounds like your wife's symptoms are very similar to what my wife went through last month. She ended up having her gall bladder removed. She said that pain was so much worse than the c-section she had when the twins were delivered.[/QUOTE]

My wife went through the same thing. I think I read somewhere that it's very common for women to have problems with their gall bladders after having children.

Anyway, I'm still in shock that you left Tai alone. Holy shit dude!

i think the most egregious thing from this episode isnt writing your small child a creepy note and then abandoning him overnight. Its the fact that you spent $20+ on EA produced DLC thats old. You nip your dlc/microtransaction purchases in the bud...your being an EA microtransaction enabler.

lol, i'm laughing at all the vengeful parents responses. This cagcast has the potential to end up with the classics.. BTW, the real reason you shouldn't leave your kid is cuz it's ILLEGAL. Shoulda just dragged him outta bed, especially nowadays with ipads, so easy to keep them occupied.

Where can I find the information on the deal that has Sim City for $40? I want to determine whether its Best Buy or Target, since you guys couldn't recall which of the two. Thanks!

Show Notes

1:45 Cheapy's ambulance story, or "And that's why you always leave a note"
15:00 Show Feedback
15:00 - Xbox startup times
19:00 Watch This
19:00 - You Don't Know Bo
24:30 New Releases
24:30 - Gears of War: Judgement
31:15 - Lego City Undercover
36:00 - Monster Hunter III Ultimate
38:30 - Hyperdimensional Neptunia Blahblahblah
43:00 - Go Home Dinosaurs
44:30 Phantom Breaker Battlegrounds contest
45:45 NPD's
54:10 Tomb Raider
1:00:45 SimCity
1:11:45 XBL Karaoke changed
1:13:45 Sonic Dash
1:17:00 Cagbag
1:17:00 - WiiU
1:23:15 - Exclusive reviews
1:35:30 - Barefoot shoes
1:36:00 - Baller Beats $10@Target

"What's the worst thing that could happen?"

Tai could have woken up, realized that you were not there and freaked out (That alone should be enough of a deterrent). Child Protective Services have taken children away for things like this, consider yourself lucky.

If something like this happened to me (which might be possible since i have two young kids), leaving the kids at home would never have been an option. I would have either told my wife to go to the hospital by herself (even if she insisted), called a neighbor to watch our kids, or bring the kids with me.

You can giggle and downplay this event all you want, but in the end it was a careless act. You and your wife should have known better.

When Dtoid appealed to its users to turn off adblock, I felt sorry enough for them that I whitelisted them...for about half a week. Then I was redirected to Myspace and that was it, adblock is back on. For me, it's not a matter of not wanting to see ads. It's a matter of security. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I just don't trust the stuff they are putting on their page now.

[quote name='Alcedes']BTW, the real reason you shouldn't leave your kid is cuz it's ILLEGAL.[/QUOTE]

now that's great advice!? :applause:

PS. I will take a GoW code.

[quote name='Alcedes']lol, i'm laughing at all the vengeful parents responses. This cagcast has the potential to end up with the classics.. BTW, the real reason you shouldn't leave your kid is cuz it's ILLEGAL. Shoulda just dragged him outta bed, especially nowadays with ipads, so easy to keep them occupied.[/QUOTE]

Forget about illegal. Smoking pot is illegal in most places but it isn't unethical or wrongful or even amoral to smoke pot. What Cheapy did was amoral, unethical, wrongful and illegal. Yes, this is coming from a concerned parent but I'm sure the demographic of Cagcast's listening audience includes a lot of young parents and/or young about to become parents who might take Cheapy's story to heart when it comes to parenting their own kids.

BTW: CheapyD, one thing that could very well have happened was what if Tai had woke up and realized you guys were missing and had gone out searching for his parents and gotten lost. 5 year olds aren't known for making great decisions (or being patient) when under stress.

I like how Wombat assigns all fault to the users who use adblock. The company gets assigned no blame for not recognizing this problem before its too late?

I feel bad that people lose their jobs, but it isn't my fault if their website is lagging behind current trends. Like you mentioned anyone can share their opinion today, so you need a good hook to make me come back and an even bigger one to turn off ad block.

Wombat, please clear something up regarding ads on sites. I was always under the impression that the ads only paid the site if people actually clicked on them. If this is true, what is the thinking that the people that don't want to see the ads in the first place would ever click on them to begin with?

Again, that's just my impression from what I hear people who run sites say...

[quote name='4thHorseman']Wombat, please clear something up regarding ads on sites. I was always under the impression that the ads only paid the site if people actually clicked on them. If this is true, what is the thinking that the people that don't want to see the ads in the first place would ever click on them to begin with?

Again, that's just my impression from what I hear people who run sites say...[/QUOTE]

That is not the case for the vast majority of sites these days. Most sites get paid based on ad impressions served, not based on clicks.

Just seeing the ads will keep most sites in business.

Wow you abandon Tai at a daycare when he was a baby so you could take a shit in peace and now you abandon him when he is older. This is eventually going to play out when one day you are going to leave Tai by some road, tell him he is not a real boy and drive off. LOOK FOR THE BLUE FAIRY!!

[quote name='Wombat']That is not the case for the vast majority of sites these days. Most sites get paid based on ad impressions served, not based on clicks.

Just seeing the ads will keep most sites in business.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, thanks!

I don't really see why people want to block ads. There are some that are frustrating, such as the ones that blow up in the middle of the screen and you have to search for the close button, but most are either on the side/top/bottom of the screen. Not that bad and not really worth blocking IMO.

i thought another poop story was on the way, and i was disappointed.

also totally ready to make cag my source for neptunia information!

Im with Cheapy, my ma and pa left me alone at my house since i was 3, aint nothing wrong with me

Quick(ish) Bo story-

I'm from Birmingham and an Auburn fan so Bo is pretty much a God to me. When I was 8 or 9 we were at the spring football game in Auburn, basically a glorified practice. They lined us up on the 20 yard line, and Bo was in the back of the end zone. The idea was to race to the other end of the field, giving us a 35 yard head start. Bo motioned us forward another 10 yards. We took off and me and about 2 others were pulling away from the long line of children. I felt pretty good about it. Then- it happened. He shot past us like a cannon. I will never forget seeing him run through us like that. It was fucking unbelievable. Imagine being a 9 year old and seeing The Flash and Superman in one zip past you effortlessly.

I loved that documentary and got pretty emotional during the Auburn parts. When Auburn beat Alabama in 83 I remember seeing my dad on the verge of tears. I was too young to understand what it meant to him then.

So basically, glad you liked it. Bo was big everywhere- but nobody in Kansas City or LA can possibly understand how big he is to Auburn fans. It was not until Cam Newton 3 years ago that we really had another hero like him.

Thanks for the show. I listen every week but rarely drag my lazy ass on here to comment.

[quote name='davucini']Im with Cheapy, my ma and pa left me alone at my house since i was 3, aint nothing wrong with me

[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I'm in the "Holy shit, Cheapy/Are you serious?" camp.

Having seen too many animes where kids have parents working overseas makes me wonder if it's not a big deal to leave your kids alone in Japan. I'm still surprised Cheapy and Mrs. Cheapy didn't take Tai with them, though. You guys didn't know how long you were gonna be out.

Oh wait I get it... The whole Tai thing is some early April Fools joke, right??? Well Cheapy you finally get April Fools... the joke is something that happens to YOU.

I don't think that cheapy was completelynwrong to leave tai home alone in that situation. I don't think that CPS would remove his children in that situation as well either. The main thing is that cheapy felt his son was mature enough to handle the situation. Can tai call 119 in an emergency? Can he call his parents via cellphone? The fact that he's able to sleep alone in his room is an indicator that he has some independence. Also how long was cheapy and wife gone? Overall cheapy did leave some instruction for tai, and it was an emergency situation. People don't get their children removed I. That type of situation. It's the situation where the children are left home alone while the parents are out getting drunk, or using drugs where that happens. No instructions, no food, no provisions...etc. some states don't have a specific age where children can or cannot be left home alone....it's the maturity of the child; can the child handle the situation.
Cheapy should leave tai home alone awake...10 minutes as a test to see if he can actually handle it. Can he follow instructions? He doesn't have to leave..but just a test. That way if there is ever another emergency he can be sure that tai can handle it. One things for certain mrs cheapy must have been in serious pain if she went along with the plan.

damn cheapy! thats straight up shitty! my son woke up one night, he was at his moms and left the house because he thought she was gone, and her neighbor happened to find him down the street crying, as he was coming home from work.

Man, it takes some balls to admit and permanently record what you did in today's hypersensitive politically correct world. As a father myself, I have been in situations like this where its been tempting, but i never went through with it- and if I did I certainly wouldn't ever tell anyone. For the sake of yourself and your wife, you should probably delete any reference to what happened. You really don't want to be scene as advocating this type of behavior or even just making a joke about it. You asked what's the worst that could happen- probably the mostly likely worst case scenario would be him going out to look for you.

Jeff Gerstmann from GiantBomb said on his tumbler that the site would not survive if they did not do the paid subscriptions.

The owner of GiantBomb, before CBSI, sold GiantBomb and the other sites they made at the same time, to different companies too. I know he and the other dudes had complete control of who they were sold to.

Wombat is right - your son is scarred for life.

It won't show until it's time to put you in nursing home. He will drop off you, not tell you where you are, and leave you to rot thinking you are at a 24/7 bingo tournament.

Another great show! The sales performance of the Wii U is shameful.

[quote name='davidb69']Quote of the podcast "Something is always being stuck into her or something and she's fine. She moans and cries which is expected but, she takes a beating is what I am trying to say." Am I the only one to take this the wrong way?[/QUOTE]

There's a wrong way to take that?

Common sense goes a long way.. In the states Cheapy would be going to jail and his son would be taken away. Being a father of a young child, totally sicken by Cheapy’s actions.. What are the Japanese Child Laws, half tempted to look into this.. I can’t believe you left your young child alone in the house for that long. We all have our dumb moments, but gambling with your son’s well being.. Wow.. father of the year..

bread's done
Back