Is it stupid to buy a Galaxy S2 now?

tylerh1701

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
We're on Sprint.

My brother is looking for a new phone and is eligible for an upgrade, right now he has an LG Rumor Touch, so upgrading to even an S2 would be a major improvement for him. He doesn't have a job at the moment so even $100 for a phone is out of the question unfortunately.

Right now Costco is selling the S2 for $30, and that includes waiving the activation fee and a 6 piece starter kit. Similarly, Amazon has the S2 for a penny, but I'm sure he'd get stuck with the activation fee, so it would come out about the same.

My question is, is it stupid to jump on the S2 now? In searching around the net, it seems like the S2 didn't even get the Jelly Bean update on Sprint (is this right?), so it's already not running the most recent version. Would getting locked in to this phone for close to 2 years be a mistake, and would it be better to look for a cheap deal on the S3 in the coming months? I know the S4 is coming soon so it seems like the S3 may see some price cuts soon.

Thanks for the input.

I jumped on one but I have the skyrocket on att. Got it maybe 2 months ago and it's been the best phone I've owned to date. I've had an iPhone 4s and I think this beats it hands down. Now the Jellybean hasn't been officially released(or atleast I don't think it has) but I rooted mine and you can flash a jellybean rom on it once rooted.

Now I don't know what the specs are on the sprint version, but I do know that he would be able to get the activation fee waived with little effort. Just a matter of calling in and asking, and if any resistance is recieved just threaten to cancel. It'll get them everytime lol. I know from experience because I used to work at a call center for sprint/nextel.

So bottom line, if he's in need of an upgrade then go for it, but if he can wait I'd probably jump on a sale with the s3 soon.

S2 is a great phone once rooted and running a nice ROM (Jedi Mind Trick for example). However, S3s will be heavily discounted soon and I would get that instead if the opportunity comes.

bread's done
Back