wii u 249.99

29275990.jpg

$249 for 8GB vanilla version? No thanks.

Just imagine how hard you'll be kicking yourself come the holidays when the premium version is selling for that price with a bonus game.

thread title could use some work:oldman:

And not to sound like a jerk, but it helps to check before you post a deal, to see if it's already posted (story of my life:lol:)

Amazon, Asda, ShopTo and GameStop have all taken a hit by introducing a £50 Wii U price cut, but the console is apparently still underperforming and some retailers may look to reduce shelf space dedicated to the product.
Unofficial Wii U price cut 'not working', UK retailers claim.
HMV slashes UK Wii U premium bundle to £200
I'm wondering if people will even buy the Wii U if it permanently dropped $50, doesn't seem to be working even with a temporary drop in the US or UK.

[quote name='Alucard0x']That is true. But what if you price match right now at target. You could also receive the $50 gift card.[/QUOTE]
Would this work? $250 for the system and a game is about what I would pay. I could price match ZombiU from BB as well and still have a bit on the gift card.

I honestly don't really care that much about the Deluxe bonuses as I won't play Nintendoland, won't buy digital games, and the only thing it comes with that I would want is the stand. I have like 3 32gb flash drives around here that I could use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna repost what I posted over at reddit (r/wiiu)

Okay, so right now (Until the end of the day Saturday, I believe.) Best Buy is selling the Basic Wii U console at $249 and Nintendoland for $29.99.

Also this week, Target is giving you a $50 GC with the purchase of any Wii U.

Assuming this works, you could easily get Target to price match Best Buy for the $249.99 Wii U, and receive a $50 gift card.

Then, have them price match Nintendoland for $29.99, and use the $50 Gift Card to pick up that and the cradle set as well ($19.99) for essentially nothing.

That's basically the Deluxe bundle right there for $249, minus the Deluxe Digital Promotion and larger internal storage. (And black color, if that matters to you.)

Honestly if I didn't buy a Wii U at launch I'd be doing this, because I much prefer the white color.

The reason I say "Assuming this works." is that I don't know if Target would allow a price match and the gift card deal simultaneously. Folks have price matched Best Buy sales and gotten this week's "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sale this week, so I'm leaning towards it working, but YMMV, obviously.

[quote name='DonaldBlank']The extra 24GB storage is not worth the extra money anyways. Either way you'll need an external storage[/QUOTE]

Well, I think I'll be fine for a while with my 32GB. I don't intend on purchasing full retail titles from the eShop, but rather I'll just stick to the downloadable-exclusive stuff (Toki Tori 2, Runner 2, Zen Pinball, etc.)

[quote name='ultramanJ']$249 for 8GB vanilla version? No thanks.

Just imagine how hard you'll be kicking yourself come the holidays when the premium version is selling for that price with a bonus game.[/QUOTE]

Good post.

I just don't see myself jumping in for the U yet. I don't even have a Wii so I could play ALL those Wii games, too.

I am expecting about this price of 250 with higher storage in a bundle by October at the latest. The console isn't selling.

[quote name='deadkode']i wish they had a deluxe model in white[/QUOTE] Definitely, my gamepad looks like friggin' smudge city because it's black(not racist).

[quote name='honkyjesus']Good post.

I just don't see myself jumping in for the U yet. I don't even have a Wii so I could play ALL those Wii games, too.

I am expecting about this price of 250 with higher storage in a bundle by October at the latest. The console isn't selling.[/QUOTE]
The estimated cost of the console is $228 without OS and all the other stuff. While I would love a price drop Nintento has already said they are selling it at a loss. It might be a bit before we see a price drop.

[quote name='kinney_bmx']The estimated cost of the console is $228 without OS and all the other stuff. While I would love a price drop Nintento has already said they are selling it at a loss. It might be a bit before we see a price drop.[/QUOTE]

Would you like me to go back to posts last year and link you some that say virtually the same thing about the 3DS? If they can't sell then they have to lower the price. If they're so worried about losing money then they shouldn't have put put a console at all.

[quote name='Blaster man']Would you like me to go back to posts last year and link you some that say virtually the same thing about the 3DS? If they can't sell then they have to lower the price. If they're so worried about losing money then they shouldn't have put put a console at all.[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying a price drop isn't a possibility. I'm saying that outside of a Retailer Holiday sale I doubt we're gonna see the Deluxe + AAA game for $300

The 3DS is a handheld. $250 for a handheld is ridiculous, $250 for a console especially one basically cradling between 7th & 8th gen isn't.

The big problem with the WiiU is games. There just isn't a system seller out there. If the price is the same by the time Pikmin or Zelda HD comes out then you'll see a lot more people buying the console even without a price drop.

Though this talk isn't really for the deal section so.

[quote name='htz']I'm wondering if people will even buy the Wii U if it permanently dropped $50, doesn't seem to be working even with a temporary drop in the US or UK.[/QUOTE]

Not true. The lower price has only been going on for a few days and if you don't follow a site like this then you have no clue its on sale.

[quote name='kinney_bmx']I'm not saying a price drop isn't a possibility. I'm saying that outside of a Retailer Holiday sale I doubt we're gonna see the Deluxe + AAA game for $300

The 3DS is a handheld. $250 for a handheld is ridiculous, $250 for a console especially one basically cradling between 7th & 8th gen isn't.

The big problem with the WiiU is games. There just isn't a system seller out there. If the price is the same by the time Pikmin or Zelda HD comes out then you'll see a lot more people buying the console even without a price drop.

Though this talk isn't really for the deal section so.[/QUOTE]

Price will have to drop for holidays, because it will be going against next gen systems. If it can't even compete against current gen systems in the market, how is it going to hold up when next gen systems are out there? What if PS4 is only $399?

I have my eye on Pikmin 3 and Zelda HD personally (so in a way they are system sellers just for ME), but those are absolutely not going to move the needle for the general public in terms of total console sales.

Anyway $250 is not bad, IF it was the deluxe system I might have jumped on it. But since it's the regular version I'm going to hold off. I'm hoping they put out a "super deluxe" system with 128GB memory, 1 game, and maybe hit $299 for holiday. Honestly this basic system needs to drop to like $199 to really be competitive.

[quote name='kinney_bmx']I'm not saying a price drop isn't a possibility. I'm saying that outside of a Retailer Holiday sale I doubt we're gonna see the Deluxe + AAA game for $300

Though this talk isn't really for the deal section so.[/QUOTE]

Problem is, I'm not even sure Pikmin is a huge system seller, though I have no doubt it'll be a great game. Zelda maybe, but I don't know how many people are going to be rushing out to buy a title they probably already played before.

I think Smash Bros will really attract buyers.

[quote name='haunted hallows']I just got back from Target and they did price match Bet Buy and give me the gift card no questions asked.[/QUOTE]

Now that's a deal, I will try this later today.

WiiU is failing for first two reasons I think, follow by

1) Lack of games, worse than Vita launch, even USA launch (Japan Vita has lots of games now, too bad everywhere else doesn't)

2) Nintendo kind of messed up with the Ambasaddor's program on the 3DS

3) A lot of consumers still don't know the difference between Wii & WiiU

4) People are waiting for a price drop that will happen eventually.

[quote name='djricekcn']WiiU is failing for first two reasons I think, follow by

1) Lack of games, worse than Vita launch, even USA launch (Japan Vita has lots of games now, too bad everywhere else doesn't)

2) Nintendo kind of messed up with the Ambasaddor's program on the 3DS

4) People are waiting for a price drop that will happen eventually.[/QUOTE]

1) Number 1 is very valid, no good games.
2) I don't think number 2 is valid. If they had a good price point and good games then people would buy it.
3) Number 3 is quite important as well. I guarantee that MS doesn't call the next Xbox the "Xbox 360 U" and that Sony doesn't call the next Playstation the "Playstation 3 U". If they wanted to keep the Wii branding then they should have call it the Wii 2.
4) And for the price drop, I agree with that. I'm waiting for one. It's essentially the same power as the 360 and PS3, both of which I own. The price is almost all for the gamepad which I have little to no interest in so the price is a fucking rip off.

So much try-hard fanboy trolling.

You kids need to stfu. This is a deals forum not a fanboy hellhole like NeoGAF.

Seriously kids, take it back to the playground.

[quote name='Crygor64']So much try-hard fanboy trolling.

You kids need to stfu. This is a deals forum not a fanboy hellhole like NeoGAF.

Seriously kids, take it back to the playground.[/QUOTE]
Gotta love it, people on a forum for cheap people complaining about prices and some random guy comes and says, "Hey you're a troll, go pay full price big baby". Sorry man, it's not worth full price and I'm not paying it. Go take YOUR fanboyism to another forum. If you think the Wii U is the only topic people post on that it's "too expensive" then you haven't been watching carefully. It's only the Wii U that people like you come to defend the price. I paid $40 for The Last Story and people came and said, "OMGZ I GOT THAT FOR $8 FROM AMAZON". In fact, that happens every time The Last Story is discussed.

Actually, everytime any game or console is discussed people talk about what price they already paid that's lower or the price that they want. But for some reason when it comes to the Wii U, that's NOT ALLOWED. Then guys like you come and tell people that fully intend to buy it when it's cheaper (aka a reasonable price) that they're a bunch of fanboys for "bashing" the console that they (you) went and paid full price for. Who's the biased one? Who's the fanboy? The guy that went and paid full price and can't stand people saying one bad thing about the Wii U or the 99.999999% of the population of gamers waiting for the price drop and games to come out?

They know enough to know they no longer want either console! :)

[quote name='djricekcn']WiiU is failing for first two reasons I think, follow by

.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='InvaderZim']They know enough to know they no longer want either console! :)[/QUOTE]
Actually, once Wii Fit U releases you may see interest from the casual market. Believe it or not, Wii Fit + Wii Fit 2 together sold a grand total of 45 million copies (most companies are happy if they sell 2-5 million of a game and this is a game + super expensive peripheral) That puts the Wii Fits together as the top selling game for the original Wii aside from Wii Sports which sold 81 million (for obvious reasons).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games
Wii Fit (22.67 million)
Wii Fit Plus (20.48 million)
They still need to lower the price of the console. They'll have a hell of a time convincing the mom's to buy a $100 Wii Fit U bundle when the console costs so much.

[quote name='haunted hallows']If the deluxe was $50 off I would buy it![/QUOTE]

If you buy it by the end of the day at Target they'll give you a $50 gift card. Pretty much the same thing.

[quote name='kinney_bmx']The estimated cost of the console is $228 without OS and all the other stuff. While I would love a price drop Nintento has already said they are selling it at a loss. It might be a bit before we see a price drop.[/QUOTE]

If you can't sell the consoles in the first place to get a good user base then you won't recoup the money you lose from selling the consoles.

[quote name='Blaster man']Gotta love it, people on a forum for cheap people complaining about prices and some random guy comes and says, "Hey you're a troll, go pay full price big baby". Sorry man, it's not worth full price and I'm not paying it. Go take YOUR fanboyism to another forum. If you think the Wii U is the only topic people post on that it's "too expensive" then you haven't been watching carefully. It's only the Wii U that people like you come to defend the price. I paid $40 for The Last Story and people came and said, "OMGZ I GOT THAT FOR $8 FROM AMAZON". In fact, that happens every time The Last Story is discussed.

Actually, everytime any game or console is discussed people talk about what price they already paid that's lower or the price that they want. But for some reason when it comes to the Wii U, that's NOT ALLOWED. Then guys like you come and tell people that fully intend to buy it when it's cheaper (aka a reasonable price) that they're a bunch of fanboys for "bashing" the console that they (you) went and paid full price for. Who's the biased one? Who's the fanboy? The guy that went and paid full price and can't stand people saying one bad thing about the Wii U or the 99.999999% of the population of gamers waiting for the price drop and games to come out?[/QUOTE]

Gotta love it.

Some insecure fanboy gets called out on his try-hard fanboy trolling and then he writes a wall of text no one will read to justify his childish behavior.

And you'll notice I said nothing about price.

[quote name='Crygor64']Gotta love it.

Some insecure fanboy gets called out on his try-hard fanboy trolling and then he writes a wall of text no one will read to justify his childish behavior.

And you'll notice I said nothing about price.[/QUOTE]

"This is a deals forum" is not regarding the price. Good point! The Wii U is over priced and I will buy it when the deluxe is $250 with 2 games packed in, this November. If I'm a fanboy because I don't pay full price for things that will OBVIOUSLY fall in price when competition heats up then I'm a fanboy. I'll continue to consider myself better with money than you though.

Let me guess, you own a Wii U. Did you buy it at launch? LOL

[quote name='Blaster man']
Let me guess, you own a Wii U. Did you buy it at launch? LOL[/QUOTE]

I don't own a Wii U at all.

And you just proved that you're a childish fanboy.

Thanks for proving me right. Let me guess. Next you will tell me to stop liking things that you don't like.

Anyone not named blasterman have any advice between buying a 3DS or Wii U?

$250 + 50 dollar gift card is a good deal, but $160 for a 3DS XL and then Luigi's Mansion + free game is as well. Has to be decided within the next 2 hours, here.

[quote name='Crygor64']I don't own a Wii U at all.

And you just proved that you're a childish fanboy.

Thanks for proving me right. Let me guess. Next you will tell me to stop liking thing that you don't like.[/QUOTE]
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1907970&postcount=24
For some reason, the Wii U is the only game console I've seen so fervently defended on this forum. People can complain that they don't want to pay so much for any other console EVEN BEFORE LAUNCH but god forbid someone complain about the Wii U. The Nintendo fans will come out and cry foul about people trying to save money.

[quote name='Blaster man']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1907970&postcount=24
For some reason, the Wii U is the only game console I've seen so fervently defended on this forum. People can complain that they don't want to pay so much for any other console EVEN BEFORE LAUNCH but god forbid someone complain about the Wii U. The Nintendo fans will come out and cry foul about people trying to save money.[/QUOTE]

Whining about Nintendo fans? Claiming its all some sort of conspiracy against you?

You really are an insecure fanboy.

And I don't see you "trying to save anyone money." You're just whining like a little kid on the playground.

In before "but but but Nintendo fans! No u! Stop liking what I don't like!" Etc...

[quote name='hotpocket']Anyone not named blasterman have any advice between buying a 3DS or Wii U?

$250 + 50 dollar gift card is a good deal, but $160 for a 3DS XL and then Luigi's Mansion + free game is as well. Has to be decided within the next 2 hours, here.[/QUOTE]

Why would you buy a Wii U? How many games are there for it that you even want? I'd guess somewhere between zero and two. The only reason to own that console right now is to support Nintendo.

[quote name='Crygor64']Whining about Nintendo fans? Claiming its all some sort of conspiracy against you?

You really are an insecure fanboy.

And I don't see you "trying to save anyone money." You're just whining like a little kid on the playground.

In before "but but but Nintendo fans! No u! Stop liking what I don't like!" Etc...[/QUOTE]
Wow someone needs to return to NeoGaf and it's not me.

[quote name='Blaster man']Wow someone needs to return to NeoGaf and it's not me.[/QUOTE]

No, YOU need to go back to the "Wii U is failing" thread that you created when the mods kept telling you to stop derailing all the Wii U deal threads.

Seriously now, can we either get this thread on track or delete it?

Just wondering, I remember hearing when the Wii U launched that you will have to download a firmware that is up to 5gb? Is that true?
Yes. I don't know if that's been changed or not since, but it was definitely a thing at launch.

SHUT UP unless you have anything DEAL/PRICE related. Opinions/fanboyism/antifanboyism posts go in the discussion forums. further offenders gets a weeks silence.

[quote name='hotpocket']Anyone not named blasterman have any advice between buying a 3DS or Wii U?

$250 + 50 dollar gift card is a good deal, but $160 for a 3DS XL and then Luigi's Mansion + free game is as well. Has to be decided within the next 2 hours, here.[/QUOTE]

As someone who owns both, I'd say get a 3DS XL instead.
Wii U has been selling poorly and there aren't any "must play" titles yet.
Might as well wait until they bundle it with Pikmin 3 or Mario, Zelda, etc.

3DS has a pretty great library to choose from.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']As someone who owns both, I'd say get a 3DS XL instead.
Wii U has been selling poorly and there aren't any "must play" titles yet.
Might as well wait until they bundle it with Pikmin 3 or Mario, Zelda, etc.

3DS has a pretty great library to choose from.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I have been slowly coming to the same conclusion.

It just makes more sense to buy the 3DS now. There are a plethora of good games out/coming out this year. Might buy a Wii U someday though. I think the gamepad is a cool idea.

Just did this too.

Used my Target card and final cost was just a little over $250 and also got the $50 gift card. No problem.

Kinda funny, as I was waiting in the price check line, a lady behind me was like, "The Wii U? You don't want to get that...my kids played it like twice and haven't touched it since." I just smiled; didn't have the heart to tell her I already had one and absolutely love it as do my kids.

So thanks

[quote name='guinaevere']SHUT UP unless you have anything DEAL/PRICE related. Opinions/fanboyism/antifanboyism posts go in the discussion forums. further offenders gets a weeks silence.[/QUOTE]

So I'm guessing the "plays well with others" is meant sarcasticly?

Thanks for the heads up. I was able to get to Target just before they closed and managed the basic system, Nintendo Land, Mario U, ZombiU, and LEGO City Undercover for just under $350, including tax. Sure there'll eventually be a price drop, but I'm pretty happy with the deal I got now.

[quote name='CMC4UA']Thanks for the heads up. I was able to get to Target just before they closed and managed the basic system, Nintendo Land, Mario U, ZombiU, and LEGO City Undercover for just under $350, including tax. Sure there'll eventually be a price drop, but I'm pretty happy with the deal I got now.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I didn't get any games, but I did get the basic U pm'd for 249.99 & got the gift card. The electronics cashier was reluctant to give me the pm since they had the gift card promotion, but I went & talked to customer service and they did it without question. Happy with this deal as well!

Man, I would have loved to jump in on this deal, but I just can't justify buying a Wii U right now. The only game I would play on it would be LEGO City Stories. There are other games I want coming out, but there will probably be a better deal for the console by the time Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD or Smash 4 comes out.

If they have to drop it they will, and given how bad the U is bombing worldwide they can't continue to sell this thing at such a premium. Even if they don't budge on price, you can expect better bundles. Maybe an extra free game and bigger HDD.
Actually the larger HDD might not be needed since developers aren't bothering to put their DLC on it.

bread's done
Back