Zero Dark Thirty Afterthoughts

berzirk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just watched the movie, and most here know my theological persuasions, so maybe it was odd on more levels for me, but --SPOILERS-----------------------------

The torture scenes in the beginning were very hard to watch. I was lukewarm on torture, but fact or fiction, any country that participates in torture, (fuck your mother Dick Cheney, that's torture, not interrogation) is not a civilized society.

Secondly, when OBL was confirmed killed on the news, I was pleased. I was disgusted by the parties and street celebrations, but I considered it a win for a murderer and bad dude to be dead. Watching the movie, the house raid reminds me that this wasn't a group of dudes popping in, shooting a bad guy toting an AK, and running out. They killed women and men, children watched. Children saw their parents and aunts and uncles murdered in front of them.

The United States invaded a criminals home on foreign soil, and assasinated him. That concept escaped me from the news reports. I don't know how I feel about that. After watching it, I didn't feel good. Rarely do movies have that impact on me. Opened up a whole slew of questions, and even emotions in me.

Anybody else have their perspective altered about the killing of OBL after watching the movie?

My opinion hasn't changed at all...

[quote name='UncleBob']Whadda know, bomb enough children and you finally manage to get one of the bad guys... 10 years and billions of dollars later, when they're no longer any kind of a credible threat...[/QUOTE]

Thats only if you assume a guy that basically live like a hermit, could of funded and planned a grand scale attack on the USA with no one having a clue.

Imagine that we killed OBL, yet the war still continues, obviously OBL isn't some grand master terrorist.

[quote name='UncleBob']My opinion hasn't changed at all...[/QUOTE]

So torture by American military and intelligence doesn't bother you? You don't expect better from the US? Hmm.

While I don't approve of "torture" sometimes you have to get your hands dirty.

What do you do when diplomacy fails? When you "kindly" and "gently" and "passively" tell someone to stop and they don't listen. What then?

I'm asking the question rhetorically and not in regards to the "war on terrorism". I don't believe we had/have any business being over there (discussion for another day).

[quote name='GBAstar']While I don't approve of "torture" sometimes you have to get your hands dirty.

What do you do when diplomacy fails? When you "kindly" and "gently" and "passively" tell someone to stop and they don't listen. What then?

I'm asking the question rhetorically and not in regards to the "war on terrorism". I don't believe we had/have any business being over there (discussion for another day).[/QUOTE]

This wasn't exactly a diplomatic endeavor. Troops were already in Afghanistan leveling the country, and hundreds to thousands of "enemy combatants" were already detained.

Understanding your question was more general, I don't think you have a civilized society if a centerpiece to your intelligence collection efforts is torture.

The movie made me sick and ashamed to be a citizen of this country. With Bush gone I have hoped we would be done with nation building but instead I was exposed to the harsh truth that republicans and democrats are the same. We will continue to give money to our enemies and we will continue to murder civilians all in the name of freedom.

[quote name='berzirk']So torture by American military and intelligence doesn't bother you? You don't expect better from the US? Hmm.[/QUOTE]

Never really approved of it to begin with.

Sensationalized Hollywood movie garbage doesn't change that.

I don't get it, when USA gun down a "accused" terrorist we celebrate on the street and riot and the police don't stop it

However when the Middle East mob celebrate when the USA gets attacked, they are evil...

LOLZ...

I am still wondering why the FBI never bother updating their WANTED 10 on OBL to state he was wanted in connection with 9/11..

My only thoughts were not as good as Hurt Locker by a longshot. That and I'm desensitized to hollywood violence, even when based on true events. The torture scenes didn't bother me at all and quite frankly felt unnecessary.

[quote name='Finger_Shocker']So you are comparing winning a sports game to the assassination of a guilty by public opinion person? :roll:

Is that how you rationalize stuff?[/QUOTE]

So it's civilized to go ape shit crazy over a soccer match and throw grenades on the field (not to mention trample people to death) but it is sick and disgusting for a few (almost all of those shots from google images are in one of two places----many pictures are variations of the same image) people to run the street, in what I can only assume was a show of what they thought was patriotism?

I'd much rather see people celebrate the death of someone they were led to believe was evil then see people hurt (and kill) one another over a soccer match.

Let me ask you... was anyone hurt during the "Osama riots"? Was their property damage? Or are you just upset at the thought of "Durrr... dumb Americans?"

You know what is utterly disgusting:

In America, we don't agree on also everything like abortion, gay marriage, medicare, social services, civil rights, the gap btw rich and poor, immigration..

And yet, the thing most Americans are totally cool with is torture, the assassination of a person without due process, violation of other nation sovereignty, preemptive murder through the excuse of war...etc etc.. I am sure there is a couple more that I have not listed off the top of my head.

We complain about illegals jumping over our borders with disregard and in violation of our laws, and yet we seem perfectly fine installing military bases, flying drones, murdering other nations citizens all over other people's nation.. Go farking figure

No other countries are perfect and many of them are POS'ers too...

But I do not know of any other country where the level of hypocrisy and dual face rises to such level as the USA

I don't approve of torture and I haven't seen the movie, but if it works within the film and makes for a good movie, then it is what it is.

As for the raid, that was a very tall order. Wouldn't want to be the guy making those decisions.

bread's done
Back