* * * * * 34 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 8/27: PAX Indie Sale, DJ Hero/2/GH Sale, Spelunky $11.99, Pinballistik is Free!, and Machinarium Vita Free for PS+!

PSN PlayStation Network PlayStation Store PS3 PlayStation 3 Vita PSP PlayStation Plus PS+

#601 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2495 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Doesn't look like you can sort by genre on the webstore, but If you took into account how many games of each genre are on PSN, I'd almost guarantee that fighters are way overrepresented on PS+. Why can't we get football/basketball/baseball/soccer/hockey games?

We did get NFL Blitz and NBA Jam.

I don't think we get the numbered EA games because people would think if they didn't get the latest it would be worthless, which for online play it probaby would be.

#602 Genocidal   Summer of Punk CAGiversary!   4845 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

How many games per sport do you need? Since I joined Plus late last year we already got NBA Jam OFE and NFL Blitz. Considering what's available that's the best you can expect since there's no way we'd see The Show or any EA flagship series, imo.

#603 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30712 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

I lied, there is a way to sort by genre. These are pretty crude numbers, but out of the 2276 games on PSN, 110 are described as "Fighters". So that is 4.8% of all games on PSN. So say we get 52 games on PS+ per year, we should get 2.5 fighters per year. So since the beginning of PS+ we seem to be right on pace, but since the beginning of the IGC we are way oversaturated with fighting games, having gotten 5 in less than 1 year.

We did get NFL Blitz and NBA Jam.

I don't think we get the numbered EA games because people would think if they didn't get the latest it would be worthless, which for online play it probaby would be.

How many games per sport do you need? Since I joined Plus late last year we already got NBA Jam OFE and NFL Blitz. Considering what's available that's the best you can expect since there's no way we'd see The Show or any EA flagship series, imo.

Completely forgot about both of those because I owned them both prior to getting them for free. My bad on that one.

#604 depascal22   Daddy Fat Sacks CAGiversary!   10195 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

Doesn't look like you can sort by genre on the webstore, but If you took into account how many games of each genre are on PSN, I'd almost guarantee that fighters are way overrepresented on PS+. Why can't we get football/basketball/baseball/soccer/hockey games?

NFL Blitz and NBA Jam don't count? Those are PSN games with trophies.

#605 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30712 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

We're getting non-sports games that were released in 2009, do you really want Madden 09? Tiger Woods 2010? Because as cheap as those are I'm sure Sony would oblige.

That's a good point I guess. I personally would have more fun with NHL 10 and Tiger Woods 10 than I will with Tekken and SoulCalibur on PSP, but I understand I'm in the minority on that.

NFL Blitz and NBA Jam don't count? Those are PSN games with trophies.

Yeah, I mentioned I was wrong on that already.

#606 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71073 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

EDIT: Like I mentioned below, I forgot about both NBA Jam and NFL Blitz, partially because I had both of them in my collection when they went free. Still, my bad on that. We do get a fair amount of sports games. We still get too many fighting games.

We've had Foosball 2012, Hot Shots Golf 2, and International Track & Field along with the previously mentioned NBA Jam and NFL Blitz.

You're probably not going to see the yearly sports games because the shelf life on them is so small that publishers will want to get as many actual sales as possible while they're viable instead of giving them away for free for a smaller cut.

#607 breakfuss   Malicious Baiter ♥ CAGiversary!   3269 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

lolfoosball2012

#608 jay_remedy   Mila Kunis > Banned   6791 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

jay_remedy

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

You do know that title sold CRAZY well right? According to YGC there are 84,000+ people tracked for the US version alone, which is pretty high up there. Even after being a sales failure, plenty of people getting copies for $5 dollars and being free in two regions, Vanquish is only beating Demon Souls US by like 10,000 tracked players. Now if you combine all three regions together, you get 172,671 (the US being as high as pretty much JP and EU combined I guess), which puts it in the same league as bigger titles like Fallout 3. Sure none of these numbers are really official in any way, but it does illustrate that Demon Souls has gotten around regardless of how you look at it.

Also "Greatest game of all time", really? Either you need to play better games or you're trying to over hype an interesting game with well done atmosphere.

My comment was directed towards people who don't own the game. Obviously, if they already have it, they're not going to be super excited to get the digital copy.

I've been playing video games since the NES days, and yes, this is the greatest game of all time. Graphics are great, sound design is great, world design/story is the best I've ever seen, gameplay is immaculate, incredibly unique online system, there is not a single flaw.

For people who are interested in learning more about the amazing story (since it is told mainly through inference and item description): http://www.gamefaqs....ouls/faqs/62697

My favorite theory about the game is:
Spoiler

#609 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11174 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

If I played it more often / had a higher bandwidth cap I might download it even though I own it on disc just in case I want to boot it up to do a short spurt of invasions / coop without having to dig out the disc, and that story FAQ is riddled with spoilers obviously, so it's probably not a good idea to read it until you've beaten the game.

#610 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71073 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

http://blog.us.plays...planet-ps-vita/

There's a Marvel Arcade Pack coming to LBP Vita with new levels, level creation stuff, and trophies.

#611 Dranakin   Member Since Oct 2003 CAGiversary!   2981 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

I've been holding out on LBP Vita in case it's offered for free to PS+ members, like LBP2 was. Guess I have my free copy of LBP PSP to tide me over.

#612 ProfessorStotch   Banned CAGiversary!   13823 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Demons Souls...greatest game of all time? More like most boring game of all time. I platinum'd it a while ago, and did so by literally just running through the entire game. So anyone who says "You can't just rush through it like you can every other game these days" is wrong. The only hard part about the game is suffering through hours upon hours of doing the same, tedious grinding while you wait for a shard or chunk of a certain stone to drop from an enemy. Go stick some pencils in your eyes, it's more fun and looks better than Demons Souls.

In my opinion, of course.

#613 Kotomine   私は日本語を知らない。 CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Just wanted to post this again as a reminder before the store updates and in case anyone missed my previous message.

XSEED Games:

To all Ragnarok Odyssey hunters:

This is a friendly reminder that the following 3 DLC for Ragnarok Odyssey,

RAGNAROK ODYSSEY: GUNSLINGER OUTFIT
RAGNAROK ODYSSEY: NINJA OUTFIT
RAGNAROK ODYSSEY: TAEKWON KID OUTFIT

will be deactivated and removed from PSN when the PSN Store gets updated on 4/2/13. If you haven't downloaded them yet we encourage players to do so before tomorrow's update!!
Happy hunting!

#614 rpg  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Just wanted to post this again as a reminder before the store updates and in case anyone missed my previous message.

store been updating a while now

#615 Kotomine   私は日本語を知らない。 CAGiversary!   1215 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

store been updating a while now

I see they are now gone. Move along, nothing to see here.

#616 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4715 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Demons Souls...greatest game of all time? More like most boring game of all time. I platinum'd it a while ago, and did so by literally just running through the entire game. So anyone who says "You can't just rush through it like you can every other game these days" is wrong. The only hard part about the game is suffering through hours upon hours of doing the same, tedious grinding while you wait for a shard or chunk of a certain stone to drop from an enemy. Go stick some pencils in your eyes, it's more fun and looks better than Demons Souls.

so much wrong with this post. first off, there's no way you just 'ran through' your first time through unless you were glued to a guide (most likely a visual one on youtube)... it's laughable at best to think you instantly understood and handled world tendency, etc, not to mention simply 'ran through' the poison swamp (or many other worlds for that matter).

second, the few things you need to grind for are -only- for a platinum, so have no bearing on whether the game is boring/grindy/tedious. you made it that way for the plat, but it's not even remotely part of the core game. and even the plat only requires one hard item grind (the rare pure bladestone), other than that, most stuff comes fairly naturally.

third, if you rushed through it to any degree using a guide, completely removing a huge chunk of what makes the game great (discovery/exploration/achieving success), then, yea, you missed out. No surprise you didn't find it as enjoyable.

but honestly, the idea that you ran through the game for a plat on your first try is so ridiculous i think you're just trolling of the 'i beat ninja gaiden on my first try, with my eyes closed' variety.

#617 Seraphinianus   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   379 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Seraphinianus

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

It's an odd thing to have so many fighting games popping up on the PS+ collection.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that it's because Fighting Game sales are even more dependent on the launch window sales even more so than other games and getting more people into the mix would serve to extend the game's multiplayer life cycle. An injection of new players to an already established foundation is always a good thing for the fighting game community after all.

Makes sense in that light, I suppose.

Depends on the game. UMVC3 did terrible the first month but Capcom mentioned that it has been selling steadily since launch a couple years ago, which is why it's still $20-$30 new. That's probably due partially to the tourney scene (UMVC3 is the most popular tourney game right now) and partially due to the Marvel license.

Something like Street Fighter 4 probably dropped off in sales over 2012 and since Capcom is planning a new patch, they probably wanted to take a swing at getting some new people...give away the game for free, get the update for free, then hope they buy the outrageously priced costumes.

KOFXIII is another one whose sales probably dropped off, but has a bunch of DLC to sell alongside it.

We'll probably get DOA5 or DOA5+ this year as well...other games that didn't sell well, but have like a jillion dollars in costume DLC.

It's basically a F2P approach. The full games are worth pennies to them after the sales are exhausted, but fighting games always have expensive DLC.

#618 mpaullin   Fission Mailed CAGiversary!   4699 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

I don't agree with all of the complaints you listed here, but it is a breath of fresh air to me to see criticisms of it since all I ever see are mountains of praise. These games (Demon's and Dark Souls) are not for everyone. It is not for me, for example. The amount of effort, trial and error, grinding, etc you have to do to make it through even the smallest portion of the game is frustrating and not particularly fun.

#619 ProfessorStotch   Banned CAGiversary!   13823 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

so much wrong with this post. first off, there's no way you just 'ran through' your first time through unless you were glued to a guide (most likely a visual one on youtube)... it's laughable at best to think you instantly understood and handled world tendency, etc, not to mention simply 'ran through' the poison swamp (or many other worlds for that matter).

second, the few things you need to grind for are -only- for a platinum, so have no bearing on whether the game is boring/grindy/tedious. you made it that way for the plat, but it's not even remotely part of the core game. and even the plat only requires one hard item grind (the rare pure bladestone), other than that, most stuff comes fairly naturally.

third, if you rushed through it to any degree using a guide, completely removing a huge chunk of what makes the game great (discovery/exploration/achieving success), then, yea, you missed out. No surprise you didn't find it as enjoyable.

but honestly, the idea that you ran through the game for a plat on your first try is so ridiculous i think you're just trolling of the 'i beat ninja gaiden on my first try, with my eyes closed' variety.

Put behind spoiler tags, because this is getting way off topic and out of hand at this point.

Spoiler

#620 jay_remedy   Mila Kunis > Banned   6791 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

jay_remedy

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

I don't agree with the complaints you listed here, but it is a breath of fresh air to me to see criticisms of it since all I ever see are mountains of praise. These games (Demon's and Dark Souls) are not for everyone. It is not for me, for example. The amount of effort, trial and error, grinding, etc you have to do to make it through even the smallest portion of the game is frustrating and not particularly fun.

You don't have to grind for anything unless you're going for the platinum.

1. My opinion, so whether it's right or not isn't yours to judge. We're not talking about a moral issue here, we're talking about a game. A game that I think is extremely overrated and incredibly boring. Do you like it? Great! Good for you!

2. I understand that the only things you have to grind for are requirements to get a platinum. My comment still stands. There is nothing difficult about this game, unless you're grinding for these things. If you plan on grinding, expect to have some difficulties. If not, the game is not that hard.

3. I didn't say that I got the plat on my first try. I said I just ran through the game, and I did. I never brought up Ninja Gaiden, but since you did...that's a difficult game. I never made it through Ninja Gaiden 2 on 360, simply because it was far too difficult for me. DS is not the same. I died a lot, because everyone dies a lot. But I still did just run through the game. Run to a point, die, start over and remember what killed you so that you don't do it again. How is that strategy?

4. Again, I didn't understand world tendency, and I still don't. That had no bearing on me finishing the game. Maybe I got lucky, and my world tendency was always what it should have been.

5. I used a guide when I got stuck and didn't know which section to tackle next. I also used a guide for farming items at the end. Not like a guide is really needed...you're following one path through the majority of the game.

Sorry if you're upset that I don't like your favorite game. People are allowed to have opinions about games, that doesn't make them right or wrong. Please stop thinking you're better than everyone else because you "get" this game more than others.

I never understood why people think they're entitled to an opinion, no matter how stupid, but no one is allowed to judge them for it. That's not how it works.

#621 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2495 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

I never understood why people think they're entitled to an opinion, no matter how stupid, but no one is allowed to judge them for it. That's not how it works.

He isn't the first who thought that way about the game, and he probably isn't the last. Just because the majority seem to love the game doesn't mean his opinion isn't valid. Certainly dismissing it by calling it "stupid" is kinda, well, stupid.

#622 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   71073 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

https://store.sonyen...ONASSAULT000001

Ion Assault HD is $1.99, which is a surprising price for that game. I had a decent time with it when I played the XBLA version years ago.

#623 ravens52bears54   Thin Blue Line CAGiversary!   1637 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

ravens52bears54

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

It's just DLC. If you want to get anything, get Rico's Signature Gun and the pack with the rocket-powered parachute for the best items.

Well crap. it looks like the store is in the process of updating and it won't let me access the sale anymore even though the tile is still there. Lame.

#624 jay_remedy   Mila Kunis > Banned   6791 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

jay_remedy

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

He isn't the first who thought that way about the game, and he probably isn't the last. Just because the majority seem to love the game doesn't mean his opinion isn't valid. Certainly dismissing it by calling it "stupid" is kinda, well, stupid.

In my opinion, his opinion is stupid. Whether my opinion is right or wrong is not yours to judge.

#625 Not Eric   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2488 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Damn, kept putting it off and missed out on the Hot Shots vita DLC discount. Oh well, still like 5 games behind just from the PS+ updates.

#626 Ayn   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   44 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

The amount of effort, trial and error, grinding, etc you have to do to make it through even the smallest portion of the game is frustrating and not particularly fun.

Sums up my experience.

Let me qualify it by saying I can genuinely see where people say Demon's Souls is a great game. I think on a lot of levels it does things in a great, unique, way and I like the way the story's unveiled in a subtle manner, rather than beating you over the head with a narrative. There are a lot of nice touches that I think people don't acknowledge.

But I imagine like other CAG's, there are simply other games that are more enjoyable for us.

I think Demon's Souls is more of an experience than a game: One that doesn't cater to everyone, but if you have the time, inclination (and perhaps a library of more inferior games), you can certainly get engrossed in it. It's definitely not for everyone, though. I don't know if I'd so much call it "hard" (which it can be) so much as unforgiving.

But damned if the opening isn't catchy.

#627 Velo214   Chilln like a Villain CAGiversary!   8535 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

i played demon's souls kinda wrong my first run. i kept summoning blue friendly souls when i was having trouble with the bosses. i would make it to the door as a soul, try to help others full live souls til i understood the boss / so we would beat the boss, i would be human then go to boss again and then summon 2 friendly souls to help beat boss or make it through level.

everyone kept saying how hard the game was, but i kept summoning 2 extra players always that knew the way or would help me fight, etc. i could see the game being too hard if you couldnt summon helpers, but i felt they kinda spoiled my first run. if i could i would go back and go through without any helpers and really play it tough.

i never grinded for any trophies tho. if you look at my trophy info, i really only played and beat the game for like a week, tis sad. ill be happy to have it on my ps3 and my wife's and hopefully we can play it again.

#628 Zimm108   That reminds me of prom night CAGiversary!   10984 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

In my opinion, his opinion is stupid. Whether my opinion is right or wrong is not yours to judge.

Contradicting yourself to suit your needs is fun times.

#629 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30712 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Update post it up.

#630 Zonic505   People read these? CAGiversary!   1835 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

PSN is updated.