* * * * * 34 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 8/27: PAX Indie Sale, DJ Hero/2/GH Sale, Spelunky $11.99, Pinballistik is Free!, and Machinarium Vita Free for PS+!

PSN PlayStation Network PlayStation Store PS3 PlayStation 3 Vita PSP PlayStation Plus PS+

#8821 SJD  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

I'm a stealth buff. For 19.99, do I bite into the Splinter Cell collection?

#8822 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Jumping in on this 999 discussion, did anyone play it more than once to get all the endings? I played it once and got a "bad" ending and then started a 2nd playthrough. I realized that I didn't want to solve all those puzzles again so I "abandoned ship. " (ha ha) Is it worth multiple playthroughs?

Yes, it is worth multiple playthroughs, it's been awhile since I played but I believe once you get past the initial few puzzles if you pick a new path you will go to different rooms with new puzzles and the story will play out differently. For the first playthrough I would recommend playing cold (unless you get stuck on a puzzle) then use a fairly spoiler free flow chart such as this to see the other 5 endings.

http://www.gamefaqs....oors/faqs/61438

Then once you've seen all the other endings, do the true ending last.

#8823 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30685 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Guacamelee DLC.  Try these codes out guys:

KDP4-KPNC-QEB7
NCBK-NRNC-DR37
NCMA-JFN2-QHNR
EHDL-A3NF-TP2C

All gone. :(

#8824 cero5   Yuno Gasai is one crazy B**** CAGiversary!   614 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

I just cant resist smt/persona games,im glad i now own the full collection for vita.

Edit: ^^^ Thank you for the guacamelee code

#8825 biledriver   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1044 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

biledriver

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

what? i can't even get my head around that.   yggdra has one of the best battle systems i've ever seen.   riveria is... very basic.   passable, but basic.

Because you are playing RPGs for a different reason then me. I could care less if it's just a "Attack/Magic/Item" battle system as long as the story makes me want to play. i have never played a game simply because the battle system was interesting.

#8826 clockwork-zombie   /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\&# CAGiversary!   270 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

clockwork-zombie

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

For people interested in Persona 3 I definitely recommend paying the extra $5 and picking up Persona 3 Portable. I think it is a better game with an additional main character that has all new social links and an improved combat system also one of the new social links is with a dog that you talk to which is amazing.

#8827 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11170 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Guacamelee DLC.  Try these codes out guys:

KDP4-KPNC-QEB7
NCBK-NRNC-DR37
NCMA-JFN2-QHNR
EHDL-A3NF-TP2C

all consumed

#8828 jkam   Smash It Up CAGiversary!   12149 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

that was quick

#8829 shadowneko003   COWABUNGA! CAGiversary!   1164 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

shadowneko003

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Bah, PSN is emptying my wallet XD.  Just brought Critter Crunch

#8830 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30685 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

I just cant resist smt/persona games,im glad i now own the full collection for vita.

Edit: ^^^ Thank you for the guacamelee code

You're welcome.  Glad at least 1 CAG was able to snag one.

all consumed

Ok, thanks for letting me know.  Someone (I'm guessing one of the DrinkBox devs) dropped them on Reddit yesterday, but they were just coming up as invalid since the content wasn't on the servers.  I've been trying to redeem them all day, and finally got it to go through for me just a few minutes ago.  Figured I'd post the rest to see if CAGs could try and score a couple.

#8831 Lemstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   972 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

For people interested in Persona 3 I definitely recommend paying the extra $5 and picking up Persona 3 Portable. I think it is a better game with an additional main character that has all new social links and an improved combat system also one of the new social links is with a dog that you talk to which is amazing.

There's a very substantial difference in the presentation of ingame cutscenes. The VN treatment of scenes where stuff is happening (the October Full Moon event in particular) robs them of a lot of their impact.

With that being said, I was more than happy playing Portable for my first playthrough then The Answer after that. Your decision should really be based on how much you enjoy playing RPGs on your handhelds.

#8832 SJD  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

Thank you Tyler for the code! So, Splinter Cell HD collection, yay or nay?

#8833 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30685 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

You're welcome, glad you got one.  

As for the Splinter Cell HD Collection, I just don't think it's a great price.  Amazon has it new for $17.19 and Prime shipping, and you can get a Used-Very Good for $13.20+$4 shipping.  Also $19.96+free shipping at Newegg.  So same price, but at least you get a retail version you can loan out or resell.

#8834 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36695 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

You're welcome, glad you got one.  

As for the Splinter Cell HD Collection, I just don't think it's a great price.  Amazon has it new for $17.19 and Prime shipping, and you can get a Used-Very Good for $13.20+$4 shipping.  Also $19.96+free shipping at Newegg.  So same price, but at least you get a retail version you can loan out or resell.

Also consider that we've gotten the Ratchet and Clank and Prince of Persia collections for $7.50 and $8 respectively within the last month so paying anywhere near $20 for games that I don't think have held up nearly as well is too much in my eyes.  Shame the Tom Clancy sale isn't deeper cuts because there are things I wouldn't mind grabbing but at a fraction of those prices.

#8835 CookieParty   Artist formerly known as Burritoman CAGiversary!   3260 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

CookieParty

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

No. I tried to play the PS2 versions of those games a few months ago, and they don't age well at all.

#8836 FerDK   Old School CAGiversary!   1324 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

For the lazy, here are links to the $0.99 PSN games:

Blast Factor

https://store.sonyen...LASTFACTOR00011

Calling All Cars

https://store.sonyen...ALLINGALLCARS01

Critter Crunch

https://store.sonyen...S3ST_CRITTERCRU

Everyday Shooter

https://store.sonyen...VERYDAYSHOOTERF

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony's going to do rotations of $0.99 sales on their PSN games with three of them appearing this week.

Thanks, I was about to search for this when I saw your post.

I will get Blast Factor for sure, looks fun.

#8837 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4650 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

As others have said nay. Not much of deal considering you can find it for that price new from various retailers. I played the games when they were first released on Xbox and had a blast playing them. Chaos Theory is still one of the best stealth games to date. However, reviewers seems to complain that the HD update comes at the expense of technical issues.  

So you might just want to hold off all together and buy the games on PC.  

#8838 SJD  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

I never played the games, but that bit of research saved me money. The thing is I'm looking forward to going digital so the two dollars wouldn't be such a big deal, but plunking down 20 for a game nobody here is saying is a must and never got me interested when they came out, means I can save it for another game.

#8839 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4710 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Many pages back when we were first discussing this the thing I had said is that to get through a Cloudberry level it looks like you have to be perfect because there's one path and it takes exact timing.  That is not fun to me.  SMB was fun to me because while it took precision, skill and practice I would never say that it ever took perfection.  Spelunky and FTL exist in the same vein to me because while they can be extremely challenging they reward skill and practice but are randomly generated where SMB is static.  Could be wrong but that's just how all the videos of CBK make it look to me.

i love FTL (please come to vita!) but i love, love, love randomly generated rogue-likes.  I mean, they pretty much go hand in hand.   spelunky will be a day one buy from me.

the thing about (well-designed) rogue-likes is that yes, it's random... and yes, you can get put into some excruciating situations, but it's all about understanding the overall game.   for example, in nethack, there are times where i had a highly developed character and was in a situation where i knew almost any move was death.  if i attacked i was dead. if i ran i was dead.  so then you look at your inventory, and you realize you have one potion you haven't identified, and based on the ones you have, you realize it's either a potion of teleport or a potion of polymorph... both of which might save you.

FTL is the same way.  you always want to defeat a ship for it's scrap... but sometimes, that will kill you.  maybe not that ship, but the damage simply wasn't worth it and you'll die next battle.   learning to jump away is crucial, but it goes against our desire to be perfect/win every battle.   and so... many people die needlessly in FTL.  but if you are willing to run and fight another day, you'll win the game far more often.

obviously, not every game is for everyone.  but man, i'd be sad w/o my randomly generated roguelikes.   ftl has effectively infinite re playability for me, especially taking into account different ship designs, etc.

that said? i hate platformers regardless of whether they are fixed maps or random.   unless we're talking about rayman for vita, which somehow managed to be great.

#8840 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36695 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

I never played the games, but that bit of research saved me money. The thing is I'm looking forward to going digital so the two dollars wouldn't be such a big deal, but plunking down 20 for a game nobody here is saying is a must and never got me interested when they came out, means I can save it for another game.

Well they're still probably the best stealth oriented games outside of the Thief series and amazingly the second and third game each made drastic improvements improvements over the previous game which almost seems insane now that we get yearly recycles of everything. Like kill3r7 said I would just hold off and watch the PC sales since I know I've seen all three go for no more than $10 total several times.

Edit- Man, I just looked at some screens of the first game and holy Fuck that's even worse than I thought it was.  That game was probably the best looking game I had ever played at the time and now...

#8841 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4710 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

Sounds like you would enjoy the rest of the Shin Megami Tensei series a lot more.

As someone who really dislikes Persona but loves SMT in general, i'll second this.    Games like Digital Devil Summoner and Digital Devil Saga are awesome.  Digital Devil Saga 1/2 have turn based combat (very well implemented, too) but no demon fusion or social links. Nocturne is similar.  DD Summoner 1/2 have demon fusion but replaces turn based combat with a more active battle.  None have any of the social link nonsense that makes me dislike Persona.

My DDS games are among my all time favs, but i just find Persona unplayable because i absolutely hate the social aspects.

#8842 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

Are any of the games on sale for PS3 any good? I'm sure this has been discussed but I haven't been able to keep up today.

#8843 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70203 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Too bad there's probably no one playing Calling All Cars anymore, looks fun for a dollar.

That's because the servers were taken down a few years ago, so it's strictly a local MP game now.

#8844 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4710 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

would of grabbed all of the personas  at  5 each.. 10 is just too much for me at this time

Loved to seen more stuff  for sale on the VITA/PSP  but sony is just pissing all over the handheld market...

would not  shock me to see them drop it completly in  2014

lol.  never going to happen.   remote play will bring it much needed life.  besides, it's a profitable device for them and psn sales are actually quite good.   there is absolutely zero reason for sony to even think about dropping the vita.

now, they do need to drop the price to get a better adoption rate... but that's a different issue.

Because you are playing RPGs for a different reason then me. I could care less if it's just a "Attack/Magic/Item" battle system as long as the story makes me want to play. i have never played a game simply because the battle system was interesting.

ah. yea, i barely even pay attention to the stories in jrpgs.   it's all about the battle system.   riveria isn't challenging, so as much as i like aspects of it, i'm not in love with the game.  yggdra is just a beauty, though.  i couldn't tell you much about either plot, though.   if  a cutscene is over maybe 10 lines of dialog i just want to skip it, and if i can't it drives me up a wall.   all the cutesy voices and simplified one-line dialog just make me roll my eyes.  different strokes.

#8845 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36695 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Are any of the games on sale for PS3 any good? I'm sure this has been discussed but I haven't been able to keep up today.

Critter Crunch, Everyday Shooter, Trine 2 are all quite good.  If you like RPGs Persona 3 FES and Odin Sphere.

That's because the servers were taken down a few years ago, so it's strictly a local MP game now.

Well good call there, just saved me a dollar.  Poor David Jaffe, no one loves him anymore.

#8846 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4710 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

Critter Crunch and Everday Shooter for $1 each are no brainers imo.

#8847 11440   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   613 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

Simply put it's the best game on the Vita. It's about 50/50 story and fighting.

Persona 3 was 50/50 story and fighting, with "story" broadly defined to include the overall plot, after-school activities, and social links.  This ratio felt right: You're a high school student by day and an exterminator by night.

I'd say that Persona 4 Golden is about 70/30 story and fighting.  This felt out of balance to me: You're having the best year ever out in the country, but once in a while you need to rescue someone from the TV world.

#8848 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4710 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

Is Odin Sphere a good $5 test to see if i'll like Muramasa and Dragon's Crown, or are they all quite different?

#8849 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4650 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

Persona 3 was 50/50 story and fighting, with "story" broadly defined to include the overall plot, after-school activities, and social links.  This ratio felt right: You're a high school student by day and an exterminator by night.

I'd say that Persona 4 Golden is about 70/30 story and fighting.  This felt out of balance to me: You're having the best year ever out in the country, but once in a while you need to rescue someone from the TV world.

I went back to the TV world constantly to grind and get more personas but I see your point.

#8850 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

Critter Crunch and Everday Shooter for $1 each are no brainers imo.

Interesting. Everyday Shooter looks good. I'm not sure about Critter Crunch. Is that just a block breaking game?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PSN, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Store, PS3, PlayStation 3, Vita, PSP, PlayStation Plus, PS+