3tb Seagate 3.5" HDDs for as low as $91.47 - Amazon Warehouse Deals

I've only purchased one used computer component (a Western Digital USB 3.0 adapter) from Warehouse Deals (Like New), but I think it's defective. I was tempted by some of their hard drives, but I ultimately decided to purchase new after that experience.

Unfortunately, this is Seagate. Refer to the last few pages of the Steam thread on why Western Digital is so much better than Seagate. There's a reason these hard drives are so cheap.

you know thats not a good deal when you consider its a used hard drive... unless its redundancy i wouldn't put anything on it. The chance of losing the data is too great. There is a reason I spent $200 on my 3TB WD Red last september.

[quote name='retrad']you know thats not a good deal when you consider its a used hard drive... unless its redundancy i wouldn't put anything on it. The chance of losing the data is too great. There is a reason I spent $200 on my 3TB WD Red last september.[/QUOTE]

I did address the "used" aspect towards the end, FYI.

[quote name='Blade']Unfortunately, this is Seagate. Refer to the last few pages of the Steam thread on why Western Digital is so much better than Seagate. There's a reason these hard drives are so cheap.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blade in Steam thread']The only advice I have is to always get WD. Out of all the hard drives I've ever owned, from Fujitsu to Toshiba, my WDs have never failed.[/QUOTE]

Well, my last HDD to fail was a WD, so I really don't know what to make of this situation other than chalking it up to luck of the draw. Either way, I backup all of my computers, and the data on my 1GB WD Caviar Black (which I used for the boot drive) was saved by a Hitachi.

Edit: And the last HDD to die before that was the included boot drive of a 2009 Macbook Pro. Go figure.

The last drive that died on me was my original 80GB Hitachi PS3 HDD. I always recommend Seagate or Intel. I have an SSD as my main drive and a 3TB HDD as my storage on my current desktop. The other Seagates I have around the house have performed flawlessly until this point. The oldest one I have is a 750GB HDD from mg first desktop. I would never buy used be cause you don't know what condition that HDD may be in. That's just my two cents though.

[quote name='Evilbeaver']Granted, they are listed as used, but just about every "used" item I have bought from Amazon Warehouse is simply a new item with damaged packaging.[/QUOTE]

For me it's been about 30/70, with the 30 being items with damaged packaging.

Thanks for posting the offer. However, I can say from experience the last thing you ever want to buy used is a hard drive. The information on it is simply too important. It is absolutely worth it to buy new. Any other part in the computer can be replaced with little trouble. A harddrive failure will takes tons of important information with it, unless you have an excellent backup system.

[quote name='Blade']Unfortunately, this is Seagate. Refer to the last few pages of the Steam thread on why Western Digital is so much better than Seagate. There's a reason these hard drives are so cheap.[/QUOTE]

I've never been able to tell the difference. Both have failed on me. The brand names mean nothing, hard drives just suck.

if only this was western digital. Iv had so many problems with seagate in the past.
cdeals

I'm a computer tech (15 years now) and I've had/seen so many WD drives fail, but they also tend to have a larger market share so of course more will fail. I'm not huge on them myself. Seagate is pretty good as is Samsung, then I would vote WD, Hitachi, and Maxtor. What people fail to remember though is that it also depends on how you are using the drive (wear and tear, heat, ect). Just remember that any mechanical part (not SSD) is prone to fail at any time and try to either RAID or back that stuff up.

[quote name='BiggNick']I'm a computer tech (15 years now) and I've had/seen so many WD drives fail, but they also tend to have a larger market share so of course more will fail. I'm not huge on them myself. Seagate is pretty good as is Samsung, then I would vote WD, Hitachi, and Maxtor. What people fail to remember though is that it also depends on how you are using the drive (wear and tear, heat, ect). Just remember that any mechanical part (not SSD) is prone to fail at any time and try to either RAID or back that stuff up.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I think you're a little out of touch. Seagate took over Samsung's HDDs branch, and Western Digital took over Hitachi's HDD production. Maxtor was acquired by Seagate about a decade ago.

So there are only 2 big players left: WD and Seagate. Of those two I prefer WD, due to their awesome warranty: if you have a drive problem, they'll send you a replacement drive before you have to ship the bad one. So if it's just a case of bad sectors, you can just copy over to the new drive, and send the old one back. This is extremely useful imho.

All that being said, I would heavily advise against buying bare internal drives from Amazon. Amazon does not understand that HDDs are fragile and ship them like books, with no padding. So I had a few DOAs, and of the ones that work, I was really afraid about shortened lifespans due to the rough ride.

TL;DR: Imho WD>Seagate, and never buy internal HDDs at Amazon!

[quote name='JamesJoyce']Dude, I think you're a little out of touch. Seagate took over Samsung's HDDs branch, and Western Digital took over Hitachi's HDD production. Maxtor was acquired by Seagate about a decade ago.

So there are only 2 big players left: WD and Seagate. Of those two I prefer WD, due to their awesome warranty: if you have a drive problem, they'll send you a replacement drive before you have to ship the bad one. So if it's just a case of bad sectors, you can just copy over to the new drive, and send the old one back. This is extremely useful imho.

All that being said, I would heavily advise against buying bare internal drives from Amazon. Amazon does not understand that HDDs are fragile and ship them like books, with no padding. So I had a few DOAs, and of the ones that work, I was really afraid about shortened lifespans due to the rough ride.

TL;DR: Imho WD>Seagate, and never buy internal HDDs at Amazon![/QUOTE]

QFT. I was about to say this after he mentioned hes a computer tech. Ive been a tech for around the same time, moving on to networking with a Cisco CCNA.

Every maxtor you buy is now a seagate. Between seagate and WD, go WD all day long. Even though they have the market share, they still have a lower fail rate than a seagate. I just had an issue with a seagate free agent usb losing its boot sector. Man what a pain it was to repair compared to a WD. Out of all the failed drives i have waiting to recycle right now, its around a 70/30 split with seagate taking the higher number. Personally, ive had 1 WD drive fail (a my book 3tb), and had 5 seagates/maxtors go in the last year alone (3 usb, 2 internals).

lol thanks! I haven't seen anyone using or used a Maxtor in so long I didn't even notice that (hell, going back to old original xbox's), hence why they were at the bottom of my list as one of the manufacturers. Samsung and Seagate are the same but many drives are still sold under the Samsung name, hence the "as is" part. Bad wording on my part. Hitachi (HGST) is still sold under that name and WD is the parent company for them, so technically HGST is still a "brand" for people to consider. Either way my bad, and yes avoid AWD hard drives...

[quote name='JamesJoyce']Dude, I think you're a little out of touch. Seagate took over Samsung's HDDs branch, and Western Digital took over Hitachi's HDD production. Maxtor was acquired by Seagate about a decade ago.

TL;DR: Imho WD>Seagate, and never buy internal HDDs at Amazon![/QUOTE]

Toshiba 5400RPM 8MB Cache 500GB $49.99 FS&H: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149375

Toshiba 5400RPM 8MB Cache 750GB $66.99 FS&H: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149376

WD Scorpio Blue (I do like these) 500GB 8MB Cache 5400RPM $59.99 FS&H: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136567

Seagate Momentus (not bad either) Thin 500GB 16MB Cache 5400RPM 60.99 FS&H: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178125

Possible $10 off of $50 for new customers only, use code NEWCUSTOMER. Not sure if it will work on the drives but may be worth a try.

Just for an FYI... The cheapest prices I've seen in recent weeks for 3.5" drives have been $35-$40 per TB (NEW) which happens to be about the same or slightly cheaper than pre-flood prices.

bread's done
Back