Jimmy Fallon taking over the Tonight Show: It's OFFICIAL!

2 months. Though from what I read it sounds like NBC is kicking Leno out rather than him just leaving. So has Fallon gotten much better since he debuted? I tried to watch him a couple of times but he was really terrible. Conan was terrible too at the beginning so maybe Fallon has gotten better since then.

After the whole Conan losing the Tonight Show happened, I don't really watch any of those late night shows anymore... except Craig Ferguson. That guy is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god, I dislike fallon. Haven't seen him in awhile but I remember just cringing watching him try so hard. I felt bad for him really. Hope he got or gets better at what he does.

After the whole Conan fiasco I haven't watched really anything NBC shows, much less Leno. Good luck to Fallon, I'd watch my back if I were him.

I only really watch Conan now after what happened to him with the Tonight Show a while ago, and due to that I agree with everyone who's saying that hopefully it works out for Fallon and something stupid like that doesn't happen again this time. I've enjoyed what I saw of Fallon before so if everything goes good this seems like it could work out well at least.

That'll be tough to pick between Kimmel, Letterman, and Fallon. Right now, I just flip back between Kimmel and Letterman rgiht now but I'm a fan of Fallon so I'll probably watch whoever has the best guests that night.

I actually kinda wish Ferguson was on a cable network like HBO, his stand up is hilarious, but he can't do that shit on network television.

It'd be funny if NBC tried to get Conan to go back to Late Night after this. Also, half-expecting CNN to announce that they're signing Jay Leno to a show. Since the moron that ran NBC during the Conan/Tonight Show thing is now running that network.

Honestly, this sounds most like something Comcast wanted NBC to do to cut costs due to Leno's stagnant ratings and expensive contract. Didn't help things when all he'd joke about is that NBC is in 5th place.

As for Fallon taking over, his ratings will probably be worse than when Conan took over. The guy is just plain horrible(and has been since his SNL days). He just tries too much to be funny.

Sort of feel bad for Conan since he wanted Tonight Show so badly, and if everything had just played out a few years later he could have had it, at the time slot he insisted it be at. Then again, I don't feel too badly considering how much money he has coming in. At least he got to host it for a while.

Fallon...whatever. Don't feel strongly one way or the other. It's a weird transition, sort of feel like they are going from trying to appeal to an age group much older than me to trying to appeal to one younger than me.

I cant stand fallon. He is just too freaking weird. He is more awkward than funny. If I want awkward I will watch the office... One can only hope that leno takes the show back in a month.

Its pretty funny... I am not the hugest conan fan either, but I think conan is way funnier than fallon could ever be, even with all the writers he pays to make the stupid people in America think he is funny. I truly dont understand how anyone could find him funny. His Capital One credit card commercials make me want to shoot myself, and his late night show makes me feel like I am dumber just for watching it (and it isnt really "watching" its more like "enduring" his show - utter garbage). His Neil Young impressions are the one and only thing I have ever seen him do that even remotely made me chuckle...and even then it was utterly stupid. Usually I am watching the TV shaking my head in disbelief that his show is still on TV. He tries so hard, but just isnt funny. I hope one day he will hang up the towel, crawl in a hole, and die. I can only hope...

I get that they're trying to court a younger crowd with the Tonight Show but bringing in Fallon, but if they think Fallon is a bigger draw that Conan was a few years ago, they're absolutely kidding themselves. I've got nothing against Fallon, but if they don't realize their viewer ratings are going to plummet to their lowest point in the modern era of the Tonight Show, they're absolutely kidding themselves.

I think Fallon's a good host, especially when the Leno drama is really annoying. Besides, at least people can watch his show and go to sleep instead of being insomniacs.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I get that they're trying to court a younger crowd with the Tonight Show but bringing in Fallon, but if they think Fallon is a bigger draw that Conan was a few years ago, they're absolutely kidding themselves. I've got nothing against Fallon, but if they don't realize their viewer ratings are going to plummet to their lowest point in the modern era of the Tonight Show, they're absolutely kidding themselves.[/QUOTE]

I doubt they think Fallon is a bigger draw than Conan, but that they apparently see him as heir apparent after hosting Late Night for only four years. I think their goal is to transition to someone who might appeal to a younger audience while causing as little controversy as possible.

What they apparently miss is Fallon doesn't really have the same type of fanbase Conan had at the time. Conan had 16 years to build up a following and a lot of people felt he earned taking over The Tonight Show. I'm not sure many people feel the same way about Fallon or would've even blinked if NBC decided to go another way, but then NBC hasn't been known for making great decisions, so why not jeopardize the only timeslot they have left that they are consistently #1 in?

[quote name='Cantatus']I doubt they think Fallon is a bigger draw than Conan, but that they apparently see him as heir apparent after hosting Late Night for only four years. I think their goal is to transition to someone who might appeal to a younger audience while causing as little controversy as possible.

What they apparently miss is Fallon doesn't really have the same type of fanbase Conan had at the time. Conan had 16 years to build up a following and a lot of people felt he earned taking over The Tonight Show. I'm not sure many people feel the same way about Fallon or would've even blinked if NBC decided to go another way, but then NBC hasn't been known for making great decisions, so why not jeopardize the only timeslot they have left that they are consistently #1 in?[/QUOTE]

I mean, I get that they have to make some kind of move now for the future but like you said Fallon hasn't built up any kind of significant fanbase. Their problems all started when they decided Conan wasn't doing as well as they wanted and rather than wait for his ratings to build, they cut him and brought Leno back. Now they're in a position where someone with even less draw than Conan has to take over.

To be honest with you, I don't think they really much choice in this matter, they're pretty much at a point where they're damned if they do and damned if they don't based entirely on their decisions of 4 years ago. I feel bad for Fallon because this whole debacle is gonna be placed on his shoulders and there's a chance this could end up spelling the death blow for the Tonight Show.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I mean, I get that they have to make some kind of move now for the future but like you said Fallon hasn't built up any kind of significant fanbase. Their problems all started when they decided Conan wasn't doing as well as they wanted and rather than wait for his ratings to build, they cut him and brought Leno back. Now they're in a position where someone with even less draw than Conan has to take over.[/quote]

Conan's ratings weren't really as much of an issue as The Jay Leno Show's ratings were. Leno was absolutely bombing in the 10pm timeslot to the point where it was actually hurting the ratings of the local new affiliates that followed, but NBC created a contract that backed them into a corner. They couldn't cancel Leno's new show within 2 years and, if I recall, the contract also prevented the show from being bumped past midnight. They basically just orchestrated a situation where it was cheaper to get rid of Conan than it was Leno. Fallon, at least, won't have to worry about that.

Though, I do think you sort of see the same reactionary mentality in both decisions. They figured getting rid of Conan over Leno would benefit them the best at that point, not really giving any thought to the future. And now, they're so scared of Jimmy Kimmel taking away the younger demographic that they've decided to react before that's even a reality.

Alec Baldwin might be going to get a talk show in Carson Daly's spot. (So.. promotion for Daly?) I like him as an actor, but I can't really imagine him as a talk show host. Maybe he'll use it as a propaganda platform with that charismatic voice of his.

Dang, we're losing Leno. I don't like Fallon much at all and I can't stand Letterman, so I guess I'll watch Conan.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Alec Baldwin might be going to get a talk show in Carson Daly's spot. (So.. promotion for Daly?) I like him as an actor, but I can't really imagine him as a talk show host. Maybe he'll use it as a propaganda platform with that charismatic voice of his.[/QUOTE]

Sticking Baldwin at 1:35am seems like a missed opportunity for such a big name for NBC and somewhat of a step backwards in his career.

[quote name='Cantatus']Sticking Baldwin at 1:35am seems like a missed opportunity for such a big name for NBC and somewhat of a step backwards in his career.[/QUOTE]

If he went in there, it would be a part-time thing.

[quote name='FlyingAce39']Dang, we're losing Leno. I don't like Fallon much at all and I can't stand Letterman, so I guess I'll watch Conan.[/QUOTE]

Almost my exact thoughts.. Except for the Conan part. I'll just skip everyone and watch Furguson. He's the only worth a shit out of the whole line up.

I like Fallon, but I can only take his show in small doses. I just don't think the material is that funny. I'm sad and a bit mad that Leno is leaving [again] because his show is very solid - especially since he does the best monologues out of all of them. This coming from a guy who is a big fan of David Letterman whom I consider the best of the late night men. Leno loves to keep himself busy at work so I'm sure he'll be fine when he moves on.

Congratulations to Jimmy Fallon but I feel like he's getting the show too soon. Conan was bad in the beginning and over time developed a great niche for himself so I would have preferred Fallon to do the same. I would have liked to see someone with more of a commanding presence like Jon Stewart, Conan O'Brien, or Tina Fey host the show instead.

I read yesterday that Seth Meyers is in the running to replace Fallon. I think that's a great idea. A Weekend Update style of monologues could be very fun to watch, but how would it affect his role on SNL?

bread's done
Back