And then, there's this...

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I was watching this on PBS, and the guy making these kept ranting about how these things can't be regulated.[/QUOTE]

Thing is though, he's right.

The only option would be to regulate who can own/use a 3D printer. That would stall it for years, but I don't see such a regulation standing for long. I know I want my 3D printer. :D

It's gonna be a brave, new world when these become truly mainstream. A strong test of the gov't's ability whether to trust the populace, or infringe even more in our private lives. Let me know when these things can print ammo....

And I keep hearing, well you can do that now, it's not illegal! Of course, it also isn't as easy as downloading a design file and pressing start. Having to actually make the lower by hand is one thing, not many people could do that, anyone with the right 3d printer can print one.

Besides if they do regulate 3D printers, there will still be business available to hand those printing needs. Here on CAG and other video gaming sites, some members already have some great ideas regarding what we can do for consoles and accessories. It's a better thought than having these garage weapons designers making these "unregulated clips" for militias and terrorists.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2...med_looking_ban_on_3_d_printed_gun_parts.html

The Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 is one of those products of a quieter time when Congress could actually pass gun control legislation. It was a response to the panic over plastic weapons -- easily smuggle-able through airports. Wayne LaPierre's ability to convince people that a law that might be broken wasn't worth passing was not yet fully developed. The law passed, with a 25-year sunset provision.Yes. It expires at the end of this year. Rep. Steve Israel, who chairs the DCCC (which is supposed to elect a Democratic Congress), is readying a renewal of the law that would add language banning gun components. The reason: He's worried about the rise of 3-D printing, which is being perfected as a way to make reliable gun components and magazines, utterly beyond the reach of licensed gun sellers.

I asked noted futurist Newt Gingrich today about the possibilities of the 3-D printing movement, and whether they made gun bans irrelevant.

"This is one of these things we're fascinated with," he said. "If I can find a cheap one, I'm giving [nephew] Robert a 3-D printer for his birthday. The fact is that I think the F-35 has 800 parts that can be manufactured by 3-D manufacturing. 3-D printing is really beginning to be a really sophisticated thing. The question is: How do you think you're going to control it? I have a 3-D printer. I decide to make gun magazines. You tell me, gee, there's a federal law against that. You're going to fine me? They can't find the guys who are killing each other in Chicago, but you'll have to register your 3-D printer? I think we're right at the tipping point of a world that is amazingly different. We have almost no political conversation about it."

They truly hate the 2nd Amendment. Truly. Won't stop any mass shootings. So let's not do it.

bread's done
Back