CAGcast #319: HAMSANDWICH

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Shipwreck reviews the new GI Joe movie, Wombat can't keep Luigi in his pants (kinda), and Cheapy goes to Legoland.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]229[/podcast]
Download (1 hour 25 minutes) - iTunes
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Diplo - Favela on Blast/ GI JOE PSA

WTB:
The Last Gladiators
GI JOE: Retaliation

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bigger fan of turkey myself.

I won't comment on the supposive $5 mill for Tomb Raider (I'm no developer) but just on the fact that Squire Enix calls it a failure and a flop with 3.5 mill sold within the first month, not including downloads on things like Steam,. Do they realize how bad the market is right now; they should be happy they got that many sales in the first place. It's their fault for letting a project get so expensive under their wing.

Also I'm liking the recurring Far Cry 3 sales pitch Cheapy gives to Ship which gets more and more awkward every time it happens.

Really disappointed Disney cancelled 1313. It's as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

You should get matching onesies.

Funny you used the word impasse because that word went through my mind last night too. I think a lot of people are on the fence with WiiUs and Vitas because of lack of software + high initial price + bad economy. The problem is compounded with the release of the PS4. Because the PS4 is announced all the PS3/360 stuff is going on sale as retailers make room for PS4 so now we can get so much more PS3 stuff for our money we don't want to spend $50 Wii U/$40 Vita games when we can buy them for $15 on the PS3. SE was smart to make Deus Ex more than just a port. I believe they anticipated this, but really the system has under 4 mill so you can only do so much.

I mean if you want a HD console you have a $200 PS3 bundle with 5 games and a 160gb hard drive vs a $350 console with 1 game and a 32gb hard drive. The timing of their release could not be any worse from a value perspective. A $300 device targets a more niche audience (less casual/family). This is the type of audience that plays core games which you can find most of cheaper on the current gen consoles. They really failed more than anything on delivering the 1st party games that would have sold the system despite the bad timing. Should have been a Zelda or Metroid game on day 1 along with Mario. Anything. You look at wikipedia gaming 2013 and there isn't even anything to be hopeful about for me.

Bioshock Infinite up there with Ocarina of Time for me and totally deserves it's 96 Metacritic. Don't think anyone gave it less than a 90.

MK was the best tourny worthy fighter i've played in years because it had so much singleplayer kontent between arcade, story, tag team, online, challenge tower and crypt unlocks. I'm with cheapy in that I think it will price cut fast, but kinda want to buy it on release since I trust NRS to release another good game. Really I should to spend more time playing MK first.

This is all happening too fast. Wish they held off on the PS4 announce until 2014. I think you'd have less people saving for PS4s and picking up Vitas/WiiUs and all these games wouldn't be pricecutting faster than usual. I have too many multiplayer games that need more playing this year. Not to mention releasing a new console around the time GTA V comes out? I'm going to be playing GTA V over the PS4.

Wombat, there is a specific reason the barbershop quartet is singing a Beach Boys song. The sign behind them when they are singing even says "The tunes of tomorrow, Today!"

As you progress in the game it will become abundantly clear how this plays out.

I think they said Tomb Raider sold more than any of the previous entries in the series. SE isn't calling it a flop, they are just saying it underperformed. SE wasn't being realistic in thinking it was going to sell 5 million copies. That's just bad forecasting.

If you like Borderlands, you may like Defiance. Defiance is basically a 3rd person, MMO version of Borderlands. It's not as refined as Borderlands, but it is a really good time. They need to iron out some of the technical bugs, but the fundamentals are sound. Originally, I thought they had dropped the ball on marketing, but they are blasting commercials not only on SyFy, but places like FX and I see banner ads everywhere. Between the game and the TV show, SyFy has over $150 million invested. They need to see a return. The first 14 minutes of the show are online. The show also has promise.

Wombat, you may want to try the XBOX version of Justic League Heroes. It is 720p/1080i, so it still looks good. It is also balcwards compatible.

I was really interested in Defiance but two days after release and not a single critic review on Metacritic. That's either a monumental marketing SNAFU or the publisher doesn't have faith in the product. Since the user reviews are pretty good, I'm leaning to the former.

Quote of the cast: "ARE YOU GUYS 80?!"

God only knows Wombat!

All hail Xadeususus(sp?)

Cheapy forgot I asked about LucasArts. Sadness.

[quote name='testudo']Quote of the cast: "ARE YOU GUYS 80?!"[/QUOTE]

Cheapy Forgot about the all Looney Tunes episode as well.

I had a simalar experience as Shipwreck. I bought a 3DS XL and submitted to Amazon for my old 3DS. It was in excellent condition and EASILY qualified as "Like New". I selected to have it returned if graded lower. They returned it, flat out saying it "wasn't in working condition". Had box, cables and everything it came with....very shady.

Like new in my definition (and probably their definition) is basically if you bought the item, opened it, and played it one or two times; it's a new system that is just not sealed and so can't be sold as new. Why they didn't give you good tier is what I would consider shady. Perhaps it is common for the company to lowball systems when users submit the hardware as "like new" when "good" is more appropriate.

Sorry Wombat, your Bane voice is good, but your Mr. Freeze Robot voice is crap.

I've seen several commercials for Defiance, mostly when watching the Daily Show on comedy central and I think they might have aired an ad during the Walking Dead Finale.

Shipwreck just said the scenes with Channing Tatum had the best acting in the new GI Joe movie. That does not bode well.

[quote name='meager']Shipwreck just said the scenes with Channing Tatum had the best acting in the new GI Joe movie. That does not bode well.[/QUOTE]

It's practically all shooting and ninjas and shooting from that point on.

Shipwreck did you ever have the 3DS Screen Problem? Its when the bumpers that surround the bottom screen on the original 3DS models touches the top screen when closed and causes marks that forms a rectangle on the top screen that are permanent. My Fire Red 3DS suffers from that problem and other CAGs have as well. Hopefully you get a lot of cash for your 3DS.

Wont get a chance to listen to the podcast until this weekend. I'm curious to which legoland Cheapy visited. We just went to the one in Florida last week, it's great for young kids.

[quote name='shipwreck']It's practically all shooting and ninjas and shooting from that point on.[/QUOTE]

aw yea, that's all i wanted

[quote name='200STM']Shipwreck did you ever have the 3DS Screen Problem? Its when the bumpers that surround the bottom screen on the original 3DS models touches the top screen when closed and causes marks that forms a rectangle on the top screen that are permanent. My Fire Red 3DS suffers from that problem and other CAGs have as well. Hopefully you get a lot of cash for your 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Nope, my screens are without any scratches, marks, or lines.

Great show.

The Legoland in San Diego is pretty fun. The one Cheapy describes almost sounds like some cheap licensed deal like you can find in Mall of America.

SD Legoland is big, with a fair number of good rides and roller coasters. None of them are super fast/tall coasters mind you, but they are enjoyable. They also have a water park that is pretty fun.

That being said, it is still kind of mostly for kids.

Highlight of the show had to be hearing Ship's thinly hidden intolerance of Wombat whining about not getting a free game that he'd never even play. lol

I Know alot of DC fans who pick up comics weekly and my comic shop as well that are excited for Injustice. It's ridiculous to get hung up on basically what counts as an Elseworlds tale. Plus superheroes fight each all the goddamn time, the first two or three issues of DC's stupidly overhyped new 52 Justice League had 2-3 issues of Batman, Green Lantern and Flash trying to take down Superman. In short, who cares!

And yes there is a HUGE difference in Scorpion's harpoon and Batman's grappling hook attack. Scorpion's dazes opponents and can be used to set up combo's, while Batman's just knocks opponents back.

Here I've been blaming Miyamoto for Nintendo's current state. I can look like less of a fool after I read that article on Iwata and Q*Bert hubris.

I haven't finished the episode yet, but I had to chime in about Wombat and the Injustice demo. I'm also a fan of DC comics and I have no idea where he is coming from on this. I've looking forward to this game since it was announced, and definitely knew what it was: a DC fighting by the guys who made Mortal Kombat.

It's not like DC even a long history of having fighting games, I can only think of two others off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more action/adventure games planned in the future.

I was fuming just listening to Shipwreck's account of trying to sell his 3DS to Amazon. I had a similar situation a few years ago trying to sell my DS Lite and unfortunately I didn't check the box to have it shipped back because I didn't think there was any way my system could be described as anything below "like new." Turns out it was accepted as "good" and I got $25 less than I thought I would. I'd never sell a console to Amazon.

You know, I was all set to disagree with Wombat about the Batman/Scorpion comparison but honestly that's the exact thought I had the first time I did his grappling hook move as well. I'm not saying that Batman plays EXACTLY like Scorpion but considering this is a game from the MK guys, it's hard not to see MK characters in some of the DC ones. I also totally thought Shao Khan was going to announce "fight!" at the start of each match. I'm still loving the demo though and I don't regret my pre-order.

To Wombat's comment about not wanting a DC-themed game like this, just think about the fact that Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 seemed like exactly the kind of game you would want and that didn't turn out well. I say give Injustice a chance.

How can one get confused/ disappointed / angry about Injustice?
Isn't it simply a sort of sequel to DC vs MK?

ANYWAYS - hate to be that guy but I'm going to call it:
ActiVision will close High Moon.

All clues point towards it: Letting go 40 employees, producing a game that will massively tank and then of course High Moon being a studio that isn't involved in Modern Warfare.

Deadpool could be a good game....but it's definitely is going to be a hard sell - Joe Schmo does know bout Transformers, but does he know who Deadpool is?
Who even greenlit this idea in the first place? Might've been a license game and the movie got canceled?

DISCUSS!

Wombat: Would you be interested in a Marvel Ultimate Alliance style game with DC Characters? Is that what you mean when you said a dungeon crawler style game?

Regarding the 3DS Amazon trade in - sounds sketchy to me... perhaps a good test would be to have a new 3DS / Vita / console literally only cut the seal on the box but never open then ship to amazon. Select the return back option and see what offers you get..

Great show as always!

[quote name='tbrock182']I had a simalar experience as Shipwreck. I bought a 3DS XL and submitted to Amazon for my old 3DS. It was in excellent condition and EASILY qualified as "Like New". I selected to have it returned if graded lower. They returned it, flat out saying it "wasn't in working condition". Had box, cables and everything it came with....very shady.[/QUOTE]

Just think if you and shipwreck hadn't checked the box for them to return the item to you. You would of gotten a low ball amount instead.

I traded in my 160 gb PSslim a while back and got the like new gift card for it but it is always a gamble to know if they will actually give you the like new trade in, that's why everyone should always have them send it back to them if it doesn't meet the description that you think it is in.

On amazon a aqua blue 3DS is now down to 68.30 for like new, 58.05 for good, and 20.50 for acceptable.

I would be interested to see what would happen if ship sent in his 3ds again and see if he gets the same low ball offer amount. maybe it was just a dumb employee who looked at it. who knows.

I would think amazon also determines the shipping costs both ways, they lose money every time they have to send an item back to traders as well.

Funny I just checked ebay and a NON WORKING aqua 3DS sold for 47+shipping yesterday.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Wombat: Would you be interested in a Marvel Ultimate Alliance style game with DC Characters? Is that what you mean when you said a dungeon crawler style game?

Regarding the 3DS Amazon trade in - sounds sketchy to me... perhaps a good test would be to have a new 3DS / Vita / console literally only cut the seal on the box but never open then ship to amazon. Select the return back option and see what offers you get..

Great show as always![/QUOTE]

Very sketchy indeed.
The test would be to resend it again, or use someone else to resend it for you from their amazon account.

I think I used my PS slim for about a year before I traded it in , and got "like new" condition for it, but it had the box and everything included. I never used the controller that came with it and the manual/info was still sealed as well. But they still could of just gave me a super low amount IF I didn't check the return to me box.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is my favorite LucasArts game, too. I played the Amiga version that came on 11 floppy disks in the early 90s, and then got it for the PC when it came to Steam in 2009.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Know alot of DC fans who pick up comics weekly and my comic shop as well that are excited for Injustice. It's ridiculous to get hung up on basically what counts as an Elseworlds tale. Plus superheroes fight each all the goddamn time, the first two or three issues of DC's stupidly overhyped new 52 Justice League had 2-3 issues of Batman, Green Lantern and Flash trying to take down Superman. In short, who cares!

And yes there is a HUGE difference in Scorpion's harpoon and Batman's grappling hook attack. Scorpion's dazes opponents and can be used to set up combo's, while Batman's just knocks opponents back.[/QUOTE]When Batman can kick Doomsday through a building, you're doing it wrong. If you're going to make a DC Comics fighting game choose either human or superpowered superheroes. Mixing the two always comes off as silly.

Yes, Batman fights superpowered characters all the time but he doesn't try straight out punching and kicking the powerhouses. He usually has a plan that weakens them first.

The Disney/LucasArts thing continues to show that doing video game business with Disney is basically giving up because nobody makes it out alive. Black Rock Studios (Pure and Split/Second), Propaganda Games (Turok, Tron Evolution, and the cancelled Pirates of the Caribbean game), and Junction Point Games (Epic Mickey 1/2) have all seen their attempts to do more original games for the company lead to a shut down after a change in Disney's desire to become a legitimate publisher. The only developers I can see that are still around for Disney are Avalanche Software (Toy Story 3 and Disney Infinity) and Wideload Games (Stubbs the Zombie and Guilty Party), which both have had major restructuring with Avalanche getting another studios merged into them and Wideload Games has been restructured into a mobile game developer now making stuff like the Avenger Initiative. The acquisition of LucasFilm was pretty much the nail in the coffin for LucasArts, so them finally closing LucasArts was not a surprise to me at all.

The thing Cheapy overlooks in his praise of Rock Band DLC is how it puts everything else to shame in terms of backwards compatibility that nobody else really comes close outside of LittleBigPlanet costumes.

If Wombat doesn't like Injustice from the demo, I'm sure that he definitely wouldn't like the prequel comic that seems to be one of the dumbest comic stories ever, which is really saying something when comics constantly do dumb things.

Regarding your conversation about sending your 3DS in for Credit, Shipping to and from Fufillment by Amazon Services is extremely cheap. One would need to pay a monthly fee based on size of inventory coming in/out but it's generally less than $1 shipping costs outgoing, incoming is even cheaper, although I'm not certain about off-site shipping locations. It is definitely worth their time even if they send a few units back to savvy consumers like yourself.

Loved the section about Batman/comics/Freeze.

But...little dork peeve.

Graphic Novel: Story told specifically for that format that is not released in single issues. Batman and Superman Earth One GN's are examples of this.

Trade Paperback: Collection of single issues. Walking Dead, Watchmen, and every other "Graphic Novel" that people enjoy but refuse to acknowledge they are comic books because the term graphic novel makes them feel more adult.

Anyways, Wombat, if you enjoyed Snyder's run in the New 52, you should pick up The Black Mirror he wrote before the New 52 reboot. Enjoyed that more as you don't have to ignore plot induced stupidity (from what I recall) and it's much darker. Though, I like Capullo's work more.

Also to Wombat (Sorry listening to the podcast and posting as I hear things): About the wanting a new DC game, did you hear the announcement of the DC Infinite Crisis MOBA game coming out? I know you're not a PC gamer, but would you be interested in that type of DC Game on consoles?

[quote name='4thHorseman']

Also to Wombat (Sorry listening to the podcast and posting as I hear things): About the wanting a new DC game, did you hear the announcement of the DC Infinite Crisis MOBA game coming out? I know you're not a PC gamer, but would you be interested in that type of DC Game on consoles?[/QUOTE]

I think I am. I know it is early to say having not played the full game, but something about Superman & Batman, to me, I feel need to played with in an open world. They are vertical characters. Fighting games, even with layered levels still feel claustrophobic, in my opinion.

[quote name='Wombat']I think I am. I know it is early to say having not played the full game, but something about Superman & Batman, to me, I feel need to played with in an open world. They are vertical characters. Fighting games, even with layered levels still feel claustrophobic, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I would love if Warner Brothers tried to give another Superman game a shot when the new movie is released. Since we haven't heard anything, I have my doubts of that happening, but there's always hope.

And still kinda upset we haven't heard anything more about the next Batman game especially since it's rumored to come out at the end of this year. Guess there's always E3...

I recall the short discussion the CAGcast had about podcasters Kickstarting new shows. I am kinda appalled by Jeff Cannnata's "finishing move" on the 3/22/2013 episode of Weekend Confirmed pimping his Kickstarter and asking for even more money. This guy's initial goal was 20K and is up to over 150K in funding and still wants more. Has the evil green monster syndrome set in on him? I know Wombat has his own show as well. What's your and Cheapy's take on "over funding" ?

Great show, wanted to chime in on a couple points.

Have the demo for Injustice, but haven't had a chance to play it, having been playing BioShock Infinite for a while, and honestly, I'm not at all looking forward to it. Just not a fan of fighting games in general. Would DEFINITELY prefer another Marvel Ultimate Alliance/X-Men Legends game.

In addition to the games already out I was looking forward to (DmC, Tomb Raider, BioShock Infinite), I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to Dragon Age III and LEGO Marvel. I'm a little concerned that Dragon Age III might not make it to current-gen consoles, but the fact that it is coming this year (per BioWare), I think it's a safe bet for 360/PS3, and possibly next-gen as well. Another one I have been getting a little more interested in is that Remember Me, though. Definitely seems like an interesting topic, though not sure about whether it is full priced-worthy or not.

Also, I think you forgot about some of the GREATEST LucasArts-published games: Knights of the Old Republic and Jedi Knight. Sounds like Raven at least hopes SOMEONE will snag the Jedi Knight license, as they released the source code for it, and I've long been hoping for a true Knights of the Old Republic III. Fingers crossed Disney will make the right choice...

Always look forward for each week's show, keep them coming!

[quote name='hunterny77']I recall the short discussion the CAGcast had about podcasters Kickstarting new shows. I am kinda appalled by Jeff Cannnata's "finishing move" on the 3/22/2013 episode of Weekend Confirmed pimping his Kickstarter and asking for even more money. This guy's initial goal was 20K and is up to over 150K in funding and still wants more. Has the evil green monster syndrome set in on him? I know Wombat has his own show as well. What's your and Cheapy's take on "over funding" ?[/QUOTE]

I think you are missing the point entirely. Jeff wasn't asking for more money because he wasn't satisfied with the amount he had already received. He was asking for more backers. He made it abundantly clear that even $1 was greatly appreciated because at that point the total number of backers was more important to the future success of his show. The total number of backers would be used to show the potential audience he would have and would hopefully encourage a company to invest in him.

Also, just because his goal was $20k doesn't necessarily mean that was how much he needed. Many Kickstarters set their goals lower than they realistically should be to ensure that they will receive funding with the assumption that they will receive more than that total.

[quote name='AlertTheJ']Am I the only one that gets annoyed when Wombat says Anything?[/QUOTE]

FIFY and you aren't the only one :)

I cannot believe Amazon would not accept an Incredible device for trade in, for shame Amazon. No I didn't say Exceptional, Cheapy.

[quote name='DragoonKnight']I think you are missing the point entirely. Jeff wasn't asking for more money because he wasn't satisfied with the amount he had already received. He was asking for more backers. He made it abundantly clear that even $1 was greatly appreciated because at that point the total number of backers was more important to the future success of his show. The total number of backers would be used to show the potential audience he would have and would hopefully encourage a company to invest in him.

Also, just because his goal was $20k doesn't necessarily mean that was how much he needed. Many Kickstarters set their goals lower than they realistically should be to ensure that they will receive funding with the assumption that they will receive more than that total.[/QUOTE]

Based on what you just said he may have asked for even just one dollar with the assumption he will receive more than just that dollar. I don't know if you are a Cannata fan or not. I do like Cannata for the most part. But, satisfaction had nothing to do with his requesting more backers or financial funding. I boils down to extra expenses that he has incurred on himself for stretch goals including guest host who may likely need to be paid per appearance.

I just feel that this whole Kickstarter movement treads on pyschology of fan manipulation. In so that fans want to get on the bandwagon and celebration. They want to have a sense of entering the fold and feeling like they are recognized by their idol. Hence, they contribute money sometimes extreme amounts to get this recognition i.e. (Cannata's $5000 pledge The backer gets all other rewards and wil be a guest on the show )(awesome!?) but pay your own airplane ticket dude.

Also in response to your statement, "The total number of backers would be used to show the potential audience he would have and would hopefully encourage a company to invest in him." My take on this is use people (fans) to make yourself even more money. Moreover, he actually was asking for more money.

Prey on those who adore you they will buy you what you want! It happens in all forms of interactions. Daughter manipulates dad for new car. Boyfriend manipulates girlfriend for new car. Kickstarter's project Initiator manipulates fans (supporters) for new car.

With that being said I am a proponent of capping the funding. Let the project initiator get what they need with itemized listing of where the monies will be allocated to. Stop the unnecessary stretch goals which will ultimately take money from your project total funding.

Shipwreck - could I buy your 3DS? I'm being totally serious. I'd give a fair price.

(As I'm listening - NOOO! Don't take it to Gamestop!)

Shipwreck did you watch GI Joe in 3D? Action scenes suffer from it IMO... similar to Thor in 3D

[quote name='KaCeX']Shipwreck did you watch GI Joe in 3D? Action scenes suffer from it IMO... similar to Thor in 3D[/QUOTE]

I don't watch movies at the theater in 3D. I find it too distracting and I'm constantly trying to find a point of focus rather than actually watching the movie.

Shame on CheapyD for not knowing the Universal monsters.

I particularly like the Frankenstein movies, as menacing as Karloff in the role of the monster is, the scientists give particularly great performances.

bread's done
Back