Amazon: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch PS3 $39.99

Playing though this now. Absolutely love this game. I actually got it used at GS but returned that copy for a new one at Target because I want to support the developers.

Stating PS3 is redundant information.

Just kidding, nice of you to follow a standard format, lazy titles bugs the hell out of me, thanks for the deal too!

I may be a dissenting opinion here but after investing about 20 hours into this game I recommend people wait for a further price drop. The animation style in this game is second to none but if you're not a fan of the childish anime trope, this game may not be your cup of tea. The story isn't particularly strong since there is a lot of filler of generic gameplay tropes. Speaking of gameplay, I wasn't a fan of the movement based Pokemon hybrid. The combat controls were a little too clunky for my taste and were more annoying then enjoyable. I really wanted to love this game and tried investing good time into it but I just couldn't continue, I just became too bored/annoyed honestly. Wait for ~$20.

[quote name='TimesTicking']Ugh... I bought the game when it was $50 with the DLC and I barely touched the game....[/QUOTE]

That's the one rule around here. If you're not going to play the game right away, you should wait for a lower price.

I think $40 is a nice price point for Ni no Kuni. I don't regret getting it day one but it certainly is not one of the best RPG's of all time. Reviewers either did not finish the game or wanted something other than Final Fantasy so they ignored all the faults of this game. There isn't much but what is there is quite annoying.

The horrible voice acting for Ester and Oliver is just cringing to the ears. Everyone else in the game has some of the best English voice acting I've ever heard though. The middle of a game takes a sudden dip in quality (with the lack of anime cutscenes, rushed story segments and fewer enemy types to fight until after the game). It certainly shows that this game was rushed a bit. The ending is greatly done though. My only other issue with the game is the constant hand holding. I know the game was made on the 3DS first and I assume advertised for kids but this is bad. Taking paragraphs worth of text to explain to me how to open the menu to look at this and that is quite annoying. I ended up skipping most of the dialogue for the NPC's most of the time.

I know I'm talking harshly about the game but it is still one of the better RPG's of this generation, just not all time. The visuals are candy to my ears, the voice actor is among the best in gaming, the story is not ground breaking but its definitely new and will keep you engaged till the end. What I listed as bad for the game is easily over looked by everything else the game has to offer. It's certainly a must play for all traditional RPG fans. Easily a high 7/10 for me.

[quote name='abhinav']I may be a dissenting opinion here but after investing about 20 hours into this game I recommend people wait for a further price drop. The animation style in this game is second to none but if you're not a fan of the childish anime trope, this game may not be your cup of tea. The story isn't particularly strong since there is a lot of filler of generic gameplay tropes. Speaking of gameplay, I wasn't a fan of the movement based Pokemon hybrid. The combat controls were a little too clunky for my taste and were more annoying then enjoyable. I really wanted to love this game and tried investing good time into it but I just couldn't continue, I just became too bored/annoyed honestly. Wait for ~$20.[/QUOTE]

I know the game isn't for everyone. It certainly has some short comings but I still think of it as a great game worthy of $40. For the gameplay, utilize the L2 and R2 buttons. They are life savers. I wouldn't call the gameplay generic either since its a hybrid of what you see with FFX-2 and FFXIII. Nice blend of both gameplay types.

As for people saying its like Pokemon, well its not. Apart from your familiars "evolving" it really has little to do with the traditional Pokemon formula. For one, you shouldn't always evolve your familiars just b/c they reach the level to. Sometimes they can only learn moves for that certain creature and will not learn it again. Familiars can evolve into 2 different final stages as well that offer different move sets and types. Instead of just leveling up, you need to feed your familiars in order to increase your stats. You can do this in Pokemon as well but its much more essential to combat here than in Pokemon.

My only gripe is that not all dialog is voiced, in fact I think only about 30% of it is. And Drippy is fantastic, found myself reading his text with his accent. I haven't completed the game yet, but so far it's great, I'd rate it slightly higher than Yigytugd, 8/10. Also I think you can disable the hand holding in the options, though I didn't find it to annoying so I left it on.

[quote name='Yigytugd']

As for people saying its like Pokemon, well its not. Apart from your familiars "evolving" it really has little to do with the traditional Pokemon formula. For one, you shouldn't always evolve your familiars just b/c they reach the level to. Sometimes they can only learn moves for that certain creature and will not learn it again. Familiars can evolve into 2 different final stages as well that offer different move sets and types. Instead of just leveling up, you need to feed your familiars in order to increase your stats. You can do this in Pokemon as well but its much more essential to combat here than in Pokemon.[/QUOTE]

Literally everything you said there is the core of Pokemon.

[quote name='RiPPn']My only gripe is that not all dialog is voiced, in fact I think only about 30% of it is. And Drippy is fantastic, found myself reading his text with his accent. I haven't completed the game yet, but so far it's great, I'd rate it slightly higher than Yigytugd, 8/10. Also I think you can disable the hand holding in the options, though I didn't find it to annoying so I left it on.[/QUOTE]

That's another thing, there really isn't much voice acting. The voices in the game is amazing but when there is only 20 or so percent of vocal dialogue than its a bit disappointing. Majority of the game is just blocks of text from people explaining why I need to defeat a familiar b/c they lost their cat and only this familiar's item can get the cat back. Generic anime RPG cliche.

I'm a bit in between with a 7 or 8. I should be generous since it really is a great game and had a bunch of potential. If this game was made for consoles first, I feel that it would have been much better. Porting it from the 3DS to console and having to fill in the blanks to make it a great console RPG was just too much and too little time.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Literally everything you said there is the core of Pokemon.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you played and beat Ni no Kuni but it does not give off a Pokemon vibe. This is coming from someone that played majority of the Pokemon games. It's formula is similar in a few ways but I would not compare it to Pokemon apart from catching familiars and even at that its different in many ways.

Think I have an Amazon GC. Was going to use it on protein powder, but might pick this guy up instead. Been waiting for $40, but not sure I have the time to play it right now.

[quote name='Yigytugd']Not sure if you played and beat Ni no Kuni but it does not give off a Pokemon vibe. This is coming from someone that played majority of the Pokemon games. It's formula is similar in a few ways but I would not compare it to Pokemon apart from catching familiars and even at that its different in many ways.[/QUOTE]

I haven't, that's why I'm saying that to me that sounds like the mechanic in Pokemon

[quote name='RealDeals']Playing though this now. Absolutely love this game. I actually got it used at GS but returned that copy for a new one at Target because I want to support the developers.[/QUOTE]

citizen-kane-clapping.gif

My GotY easily, rare game paid full price day one and no regrets. Dumped 50 hours and loved every minute of it.

[quote name='abhinav']I may be a dissenting opinion here but after investing about 20 hours into this game I recommend people wait for a further price drop. The animation style in this game is second to none but if you're not a fan of the childish anime trope, this game may not be your cup of tea. The story isn't particularly strong since there is a lot of filler of generic gameplay tropes. Speaking of gameplay, I wasn't a fan of the movement based Pokemon hybrid. The combat controls were a little too clunky for my taste and were more annoying then enjoyable. I really wanted to love this game and tried investing good time into it but I just couldn't continue, I just became too bored/annoyed honestly. Wait for ~$20.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even have to look at your avatar to imagine the facial expression you had while writing this.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']I didn't even have to look at your avatar to imagine the facial expression you had while writing this.[/QUOTE]

image.php

I might pick this up, but I still think it will hit $25 or $30 soon.

Man I don't know whether to get it or not. I was gonna buy it day one, but had some other stuff I wanted to buy so i forgot about it. I played the demo but I didn't see why it was show much hype. Thinking of buying the game and giving it another shot.

Just to weigh in, it's a good game, but I find it easy to put down. The plot is rather bleh, the difficulty is low to moderate, and the pokemon collecting can get tiresome. I just bought the Oliver "God mode" stamp from the bounty-guy, which makes the game that much more easy.

I'm just ready to get to the end of the game so I can say that I beat it. I might platinum it, but we'll see what's left when I'm done with the game. Is it worth $40? If you're an animation person, sure. If you like a good RPG, I think you can wait it out.

Went to Target today and picked up the last Ni no Kuni they had at that location. Case had damage on the bottom half from the security box that was placed on it and I did not notice it until I got home with it. Don't know why they think people want to purchase a damage product and why they don't switch to similar ones like BestBuy uses; at least theirs do not damage the case. Guess this is what I get for being cheap and not wanting to pay shipping from Amazon lol. Not sure if I should try returning, so I am going to keep it sealed for now.

[quote name='Sion']Went to Target today and picked up the last Ni no Kuni they had at that location. Case had damage on the bottom half from the security box that was placed on it and I did not notice it until I got home with it. Don't know why they think people want to purchase a damage product and why they don't switch to similar ones like BestBuy uses; at least theirs do not damage the case. Guess this is what I get for being cheap and not wanting to pay shipping from Amazon lol. Not sure if I should try returning, so I am going to keep it sealed for now.[/QUOTE]

Why would you pay shipping? The game is over $25 so it ships free using the Super Saver Shipping option.

[quote name='mitch079']Why would you pay shipping? The game is over $25 so it ships free using the Super Saver Shipping option.[/QUOTE]

Thought super saver shipping required you to have something else ordered along with it for it to apply lol guess I was wrong XD, Don't use Amazon so much besides warehouse deals, Probably going to return it and order from Amazon I guess but going to have to watch for when it arrives or else it will get stolen as usual >< since seems like UPS just wants to put stuff in a bag and tie it to the fence where anyone can snatch it >_> even when its obvious that someone is home to accept it when there is 3 cars parked outside....

This is just my input, but if you just want to play a pure jrpg with a lot of spirit, then this game is easily worth $40.

My local Target was sold out BUT they provided rain checks for it!! Expires at the end of May I believe. Have more than enough time now to build up shopkick to bring it down to $10 :hot:

bread's done
Back