Batman: Arkham Origins & Origins Blackgate officially announced...

Very much excited about this one. Rocksteady has already built a very good framework and fighting system, so a new developer isn't such a huge deal. I'd take a game with an updated city and new villains/storyline and similar mechanics any day, the originals were just that good. I'm sure they will make some tweaks here and there, but the formula works, just add new story.

I really dislike prequels. I wish this upcoming game would've moved on from the terrible DLC ending and tried to give the series a better finale.

I'm curious to see how this prequel ends up. I feel like I enjoyed Asylum more than City. Don't get me wrong, they're both solid games.

From the video I saw on GameInformer, you'll actually get to be on the streets of Gotham, so maybe it'll have a little more to offer than just being stuck in Arkham.

[quote name='GetWhatYaGive']I'm curious to see how this prequel ends up. I feel like I enjoyed Asylum more than City. Don't get me wrong, they're both solid games.

From the video I saw on GameInformer, you'll actually get to be on the streets of Gotham, so maybe it'll have a little more to offer than just being stuck in Arkham.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is there is a New Gotham and Old Gotham in the game. New Gotham is a rich area with lots of tall skyscrapers and it is completely new area, while old Gotham is the area where Arkham City took place but not as a city wide prison. So the good news is the playable exterior area will be roughly twice in size of City but I am not sure about interior portions.

I'm pretty excited for the handheld versions of Arkham City Origins. Reports are that it follows a certain "Metroidvania" flow

[quote name='cancerman1120']My understanding is there is a New Gotham and Old Gotham in the game. New Gotham is a rich area with lots of tall skyscrapers and it is completely new area, while old Gotham is the area where Arkham City took place but not as a city wide prison. So the good news is the playable exterior area will be roughly twice in size of City but I am not sure about interior portions.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up. Definitely excited to read more info about the game as it gets closer.

If they're keeping gameplay mechanics the same as Arkham City, I foresee no problem. However, it only takes one moron to start tinkering to screw it all up. As far as I'm concerned, gameplay is perfect. Now give me great stories to enjoy playing through.

It's a prequel and it's not being made by Rocksteady...? I'm not sure how to feel. I guess they already have the formula in place.

I wonder what Rocksteady is making.:whistle2:k

[quote name='Vinny']It's a prequel and it's not being made by Rocksteady...? I'm not sure how to feel. I guess they already have the formula in place.

I wonder what Rocksteady is making.:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ryuukishi']So is the '50s era Arkham game not happening? Or is that separate to these?[/QUOTE]

According to the article, it would appear that Rocksteady continues to work on the "Silver Age" inspired game, which may very well revolve around his first encounter with The Joker.

Do note that this is the same team that did the WiiU port of Arkham City, so it isn't like they are newbies to the franchise.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Now that the game will take place in all of Gotham, I wonder if Batman will have access to his various vehicles to get around.[/QUOTE]

The Batmobile will definitely show up if they do vehicles.

Curious if they will make it an expansive sandbox world like the Spider-man games.

Without Rocksteady as developer...I don't know. Could be great, could be awful, could be somewhere in between.

The handheld version sounds cool, but I can imagine it being like a really bad DS quality. Maybe I'm to pessimistic, but the Arkham games are SOOOOO good, I don't want anyone to ruin them:pray:

Without Rocksteady at the helm, I don't think I'll be buying on day one. Although retailer preorder bonuses like Best Buy's $20 giftcards could pull me in. I still think that Arkham Asylum was slightly better than Arkham City so I don't know that a bigger, more open world is the key to these games.

Multiple sources now saying that Origins is going to have a multiplayer mode. When will these companies learn that not every game needs multiplayer??? There have been a ton of successful games, including the first two games in THIS series, that don't have multiplayer.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Multiple sources now saying that Origins is going to have a multiplayer mode. When will these companies learn that not every game needs multiplayer??? There have been a ton of successful games, including the first two games in THIS series, that don't have multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

I seriously don't understand this as well. I mean, look at all the games that came out with tacked on multiplayer, both good and bad, that nobody cared about:

• Dead Space 2
  • Bioshock 2
  • Tomb Raider
  • Spec Ops: The Line
  • Bulletstorm
  • Crysis 2
  • Far Cry 3
  • Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

A lot of these were actually pretty fun, but I don't think anyone bought them for the multiplayer, and no one has time for so many multiplayer games. Hence they've practically all died out.

I enjoy the occasional multiplayer game, but seriously, devs need to learn that not every game is going to work with a deathmatch mode:whistle2:(

Maybe the multiplayer will be challenge mode co-op? They did say they're doing something different in the challenge mode this time around in game informer.

I kinda, sorta use to like the modes in MGS3 & MGS4 where everyone hunted Snake, but in those games, that was just ONE game mode. An entire multiplayer mode based on that will get boring quick, even if it is developed properly, which it probably won't be.

So, it seems that the Batwing will appear, but only as the story device to explain fast travel. No word on the Batmobile. It sounds like the map will roughly be twice of the size of AC, so probably no vehicles.

bread's done
Back