CAGcast #320: Deal With It

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]The CAGcast crew discuss GI Joe Con, Next Xbox, Tomb Raider, Guacamelee, and other topics that only really hip people talk about.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]230[/podcast]
Download (1 hour 15 minutes) - iTunes
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Blue Thunder Soundtrack / GI JOE PSA

WTB:
Justice League Unlimited

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like listening to the Cagcast. I feel... informed. Like its something of value.
If I was listening to some crap, like something uniformed. I would have an uninformed opinion. I would then blow my brains out.

Hey, Cheapy, Ship, and Wombat. Any of you want to try out DOTA 2? Cheapy, maybe stream it? It's a very fun game to play and watch, so streaming it would be perfect.

I have 5 free keys, if you guys are up for it.

I finally broke down and got Tomb Raider and I'm loving it so far. But on the topic of mutiplayer on games that really don't need it I'm split, theirs been some noteworthy games that added successfully added a mutiplayer mode thats worth playing while some have fell flat. (mass effect 3 and Dead Space3 come to mind.)

Personally in my group of friends we've fell out of doing anything competitive and moved to the cooperative modes that seem to becoming more abundant throughout large and small games.

Oh and what was the thing about a free BMW :p

Justice League and JLU are so damn good. Go back and watch JL, Cheapy.

Also, I'd like a BMW code.

I don't need a media center XBOX. I already have a machine that will play everything and stream from any site, my computer. It uses a HDMI connection too. It seems Microsoft is not game focused anymore and that might mean that more non-gamers will jump on the XBOX 720, but for games I see the PlayStation 4 and PC in my future.

Also, I am in for the car code. I have been meaning to try it out anyway.

CheapyD you should have somebody ship all those WB cartoon DVDs to your home. Tai really is missing out on the Animated Series of Batman and Superman.
It's really a shame that DC hasn't made their older issues as available as Marvel does in digital format. Marvel at least has an app and that cd collection a few years back.

[quote name='Sashka']Hey, Cheapy, Ship, and Wombat. Any of you want to try out DOTA 2? Cheapy, maybe stream it? It's a very fun game to play and watch, so streaming it would be perfect.

I have 5 free keys, if you guys are up for it.[/QUOTE]

I'd love a key, if you have an extra! Steam user name zebwinz

[quote name='Sashka']Hey, Cheapy, Ship, and Wombat. Any of you want to try out DOTA 2? Cheapy, maybe stream it? It's a very fun game to play and watch, so streaming it would be perfect.

I have 5 free keys, if you guys are up for it.[/QUOTE]

I already have it. No idea how to play.

I recommend the website from time to time, but I don't recommend the cagcast in fear that the first episode they listen to is when Cheapy tells another inappropriate story about shitting himself, masturbating with his wife's hand while she is sleeping, leaving his kid home alone, etc. I'm not saying that you should stop doing that, but it's not something you don't want the casual friend to associate you with.

Wombat, I've actually had to replace my cable box more times than I have my 360 (4 times vs 2 times in 8 years).

If the rumors about the Xbox Mini, codenamed Stingray, are true, it would be a smaller device with no disc drive, very similar to the Roku and Apple TV. The big difference is Xbox Mini would play all your 360 games (redownload all your previous purchases to its HDD) and disc games if you daisy chain it to your Durango. Pretty interesting way to do backwards compatibility, kind of like the launch PS3s with the onboard PS2 chips, except in a separate device.

Is the cable box something that has to be always on and plugged in at all times? That's a huge chunk of change in your energy bill. And it sounds like it's not that surprising if it breaks a lot, considering it may be more shoddily built than a computer, even though it's almost as big these days.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Is the cable box something that has to be always on and plugged in at all times? That's a huge chunk of change in your energy bill. And it sounds like it's not that surprising if it breaks a lot, considering it may be more shoddily built than a computer, even though it's almost as big these days.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the always on part of it is a low power standby mode, similar to what the PS4 will be doing.

Thanks for the response in regards to the animated series. I'll check out JL Unlimited.

For the record, Dexters Lab is a great suggestion. I watched it a bunch as a kid, but Cheapy's right, not for me now.

[quote name='CheapyD']I already have it. No idea how to play.[/QUOTE]

It takes about 5 minutes to learn the basics, and after that you are set. Remember, you'd be playing against other new players. Also, there are in-game mini guides for each hero, that tell you what each skill and item does in a couple sentences.

Give it a try and stream it, I'd totally watch it :D

Pretty much any DC animated movie released 2007+ is worth watching at least once with some stand outs worth watching again. Here's the full list. My favorites are Batman: Under the Red hood, All Star Superman, Superman Vs. The Elite, and the most recent two part Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

Pre-2007 the only real stand outs are Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond (Wombat, #DealWithIt), and both Justice League series are all good. One of the Justice League episodes (season 1 finale of Unlimited) serves as a series coda/finale of Batman Beyond.

Another sure to be rage inducing/depressing documentary film coming up is the new Ken Burns documentary film about the Central Park 5 (14 and 15 year olds) who were wrongfully imprisoned for a brutal rape in New York City in the the late 80s and are STILL fighting in courts to get compensation. It's airing on PBS on April 16 during prime time.

I know exactly what you're talking about for Bioshock and Tomb Raider, I had the same thing happen when I was trying to play Red Faction Guerrilla and Saint's Row 2 at the same time, kept mixing up the controls.

The notion that Microsoft is focusing their next console on what was the worst aspect of the Xbox 360, media player, is what I really don't want to hear about. That and the online-only stuff is what makes me think I won't be getting it anywhere close to launch.

Plenty of people claim they won't buy sports games based on who's on the cover because their petty about the stupidest things.

I'd have a lot more faith in a developer headed up by former Retro Studios leads to make a good Batman Metroid-style game than a movie-based multiplatform port studio to make a good game based on movie licenses.

All the DC 'toons listed are great, although I'd say Supes vs. the Elite was only ok. And Doom was a little disappointing but still pretty good.

My personal favorites are the Superman/Capt. Marvel vs. Black Adam and the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. I guess when it comes to comic book cartoon movies I like to see things get smashy smashy.

The Black Adam one also has a fantastic Spectre short included as well.

The Marvel one offs are not nearly as good, but the Dr. Strange one was pretty enjoyable.

I totally agree with Cheapy in terms of the pacing of Tomb Raider. Crystal Dynamics really knocked it out of the park. The juxtaposition to Bioshock makes this all the more clear. While I enjoyed Bioshock, everytime I entered one of those area type areas where I could position weapons etc, I just kind of sighed because I knew a big combat section was coming. Good pacing can make all the difference.

Also I would like a free car.

I wholeheartedly agree with Cheapy, Tomb Raider was such an awesome game. I recently finished it also, and I actually felt the story was well told too. I am disappointed though they have no plans for single player DLC, but hey, who knows.

I just need to get my hands on Bioshock: Infinite now! ;_;

While I can definitely see what Microsoft may be going for in making the next Xbox an all-in-one media device, I agree with Wombat that the idea of leaving it on for a long period of time scares me. I've been through three systems since launch and right now I have an Elite system that could go at any minute. You think I'm going to leave that thing on longer than just playing a game for a few hours? Not a chance. I just don't have the confidence in Microsoft to make something that can do all the things I would want in a multimedia device better than individual companies.

yeah i agree on the singleplayer dlc.

im planning on buying the bioshock dlc for $20 at a time when im getting full games bundled with all their dlc for $15-$20. if i want multiplayer i've got like 6 games from the last year I still should get deeper into.

You should definitely consider watching Justice League, Cheapy. The first season has a wimpier, older-looking Superman, but it's still good. The second season is amazing, though. I think I'd rank some of the second season's episodes above Justice League Unlimited.

Wombat, I probably have a "Read This Bitches" for you since you are the resident graphic novel reader in the group. Message to Adolf by Osamu Tezuka. It's a Japanese comic, but the localizers were daft enough to put it left to right for Western readers.
It's a gripping story about a man who struggles to find the truth about the murder of his brother, while it also tells the story of two boys named Adolf who are best friends but are of different "races," as one is a German, and the other Jewish. What connects them all together is that infamous madman and murderer, Adolf Hitler, and his Nazi party, and their international snake-like influence in the protagonists' lives. It's definitely not for children, and not very optimistic in its outlook.

I can see why EA got named worst company. All I see from them is an ever-tightening grip on what they consider "their" money. I've personally been boycotting EA games for the past 16 months and I don't plan on stopping unless they, at the very least, ditch the online code garbage they've created. To me, DRM is a little like gun control, if you think someone who WANTS to break the rules will suddenly start following rules instead of working around them to get what they want, then you're delusional.

Going back to the whole Injustice Gods Among Us, for the first time ever, I would have to agree with Wombat that when I see these characters, I wanna be able to play them in a sand-box type of game rather than fighting. I'm a big fan of the Mortal Kombat series but this one is not appealing at all for a DC fan like myself. I didn't care for the demo either.

[quote name='Sashka']It takes about 5 minutes to learn the basics, and after that you are set. Remember, you'd be playing against other new players. Also, there are in-game mini guides for each hero, that tell you what each skill and item does in a couple sentences.

Give it a try and stream it, I'd totally watch it :D[/QUOTE]

there is no way any of them would ever have interest in playing dota 2. mostly because of the hyper-competitive aspects that none of them have ever shown interest in.

I am really looking forward to the next Xbox being the center of my media center. The media interface is much better than my cable box. I am not worried about having my console on or online all the time. I have the 360 and cable DVR about the same amount of time. I am on my third cable box so it is not like they that reliable.

UEFA Avrupa google Ligi'nde Lazio'yu eleyerek tarihinde ilk kez yarı finale yükselme başarısı gösteren Fenerbahçe'nin muhtemel rakipleri de belli oldu.

Sarı-lacivertli temsilcimizin rakibi, bugün 13:00'te Nyon'da gerçekleştirilecek kura çekiminde belli olacak.

İŞTE MUHTEMEL RAKİPLER

Chelsea (İngiltere)
Benfica (Portekiz)
Basel (İsviçre)

Age of Wushu has some pretty nice concepts, namely its suppose to be a very heavy sandbox, but that also means Eve Online grade learning curves.

Wombat, I use 4 Xbox 360's as cable boxes. These are all different models (different motherboard revisions and all) fatties and slims. We stream all of our TV from a Media Center server upstairs to these consoles for many hours on end. We used an old Halo 3 edition console for 3 years straight in the living room. It was noisy but it could run 12 hours a day between gaming/TV usage on lazy day weekends. The funny thing is I've had RRODs but NEVER since I've started using them so heavily. Needless to say the slims run quiet and are ideal for cable box style usage. I hope the next console includes Media Center but I'm not sure it will. Its very nice to be watching TV/Recorded shows and get a an invite to play a game, pause or hit record and go play without switching inputs or using a terrible cable box.

The "always on" thing is being blown so far out of proportion its insane. I'd be willing to bet cash that this means the console is in a state of "always on", no more long boot up times (I'm looking at you Cheapy and Shipwreck) since its in a low power state, much like the Apple TV. The DRM nonsense must be getting confused with this whole mess of rumors. I of course have no proof other than common sense, but the DRM is likely similar to whats in use now for digital content. One license for your console you purchased the item on and one license for the gamertag tied to the purchase. The used games thing is probably going to be more like you need to buy a code from MS or license to play that used game, if this is an issue at all. Meaning games bought new would come with that code in the box and you will have access to the digital version. So you're at a friend's house and you want to play your game, you sign into the gamertag used to redeem that code and download (or stream) a copy of that game to your friend's console. Once you sign out that title is useless, unless your friend buys a code or "right" to that title.

I'm certain people are blowing this out of proportion just to have something to talk or bitch about. People keep acting like Sony is God and will do no wrong but if you notice Sony is taking an Xbox style approach to the PS4.

I was at that IGDA event at GDC and believe me, this entire thing is blown WAY WAY WAY out of proportion. There were like 3 or 4 dancing girls in bikinis (on stilts with furry leg warmers going from their knees all the way to the floor). It was weird as hell but the 2 girls I was with didn't even notice, mention it or seem fazed/offended at all. You see more on the subway.

It sucked as a networking event though because of the noise level (too high) and the light level (too dark). Also, I'm old.

[quote name='Javery']I was at that IGDA event at GDC and believe me, this entire thing is blown WAY WAY WAY out of proportion. There were like 3 or 4 dancing girls in bikinis (on stilts with furry leg warmers going from their knees all the way to the floor). It was weird as hell but the 2 girls I was with didn't even notice, mention it or seem fazed/offended at all. You see more on the subway.

It sucked as a networking event though because of the noise level (too high) and the light level (too dark). Also, I'm old.[/QUOTE]
The reports about the event put it at three or four dancers, but the big thing for the board members that quit was that they just had a big panel at GDC about Women in Game Development. So it was hypocritical for the organization to host a party with female dancers right after that sort of panel. Your anecdotal evidence doesn't really speak for everybody there though.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/28/4157266/igda-gdc-party-brenda-romero-resignation

"I went home last night to work on my Friday GDC talk feeling super uplifted by the turnout and support for the #1ReasonToBe panel," Romero told Polygon in a statement today. "I woke up to DMs, texts and links to news of the IGDA party. It really saddens me. I have been a long-time supporter of the IGDA. However, my silence would have been complicity. I had no choice. And just hours after our panel, too."

According to a report from a Forbes contributor, the party, which was sponsored by social and mobile funding outfit YetiZen, featured "at least three girls in white outfits — one was in a skimpy t-shirt one was in this weird furry get-up-dancing" on a stage. The report, from a student developer named Alicia Avril, questioned why the dancers would be present at an IGDA event, given the advocacy-centric nature of the organization.

"Knowing there are such concerned women as members of this group, you'd think that the IGDA would be more thoughtful in their own party and how they're portraying themselves," Avril wrote.

Following the event, at least two IGDA board members have resigned from the organization publicly on Twitter. Brenda Romero, who spoke yesterday on a panel about the challenges women face in the gaming industry, stepped down from her place on the board of the IGDA's Women in Games special interest group.

Good show guys. Thanks for answering my question about the hockey game Cheapy. I'll just wait for the 2014 release later this year, maybe on next gen consoles.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The reports about the event put it at three or four dancers, but the big thing for the board members that quit was that they just had a big panel at GDC about Women in Game Development. So it was hypocritical for the organization to host a party with female dancers right after that sort of panel. Your anecdotal evidence doesn't really speak for everybody there though.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/28/4157266/igda-gdc-party-brenda-romero-resignation[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying it was appropriate or anything - I just don't think people should have been forced/shamed into resigning over it. They apologized for lack of judgment and said it won't happen again and that should be enough, IMO. Also, the party was co-sponsored (I think) yet IGDA is taking all of the heat. It is insanely stupid for an advocate group (especially a women's advocate group) to associate themselves with something like that but I have yet to read how it actually went down (who was in charge of planning, who signed off, who cut the checks, etc.) so I don't know if it was a case of the right hand not knowing what the left was doing. It all just seemed so harmless.

Cheapy, I loved that you brought up Lara's iconic climbing pickaxe (just like the controller). I look forward to the iconic bandage discussion next week.

Wombat, I'm so disappointed you didn't bring up Young Justice in your discussion of your favorite super hero cartoons (not that Batman/Superman the animated series are bad choices).

[quote name='Javery']I'm not saying it was appropriate or anything - I just don't think people should have been forced/shamed into resigning over it. They apologized for lack of judgment and said it won't happen again and that should be enough, IMO. Also, the party was co-sponsored (I think) yet IGDA is taking all of the heat. It is insanely stupid for an advocate group (especially a women's advocate group) to associate themselves with something like that but I have yet to read how it actually went down (who was in charge of planning, who signed off, who cut the checks, etc.) so I don't know if it was a case of the right hand not knowing what the left was doing. It all just seemed so harmless.[/QUOTE]
Nobody was forced to resign. They did so of their own free will because they didn't like what they saw and heard about the party and the lack of control/foresight from the IGDA people involved. It was an IGDA event, so they should've been on top of the party to make sure that it was what they wanted it to be.

Polygon did a follow-up article talking with the executive director of the IGDA where she talked about specifics:
Edwards also explained how the event was planned. According to Edwards, YetiZen approached the IGDA to do the party, and she said the IGDA agreed "mainly because we were provided oversight." However, said Edwards, "We did not see the costumes of the stilt walkers during the party; we didn't know any of the performers would be doing anything on the stage or brought on the stage; we didn't even know the models would be at the party, necessarily."

According to the description of the party on the IGDA website, the party performers were "all vetted by the IGDA."

"Unfortunately not all content at the party was passed by us," said Edwards, "and [YetiZen] also agreed to follow the IGDA code of conduct." The IGDA's Code of Ethics can be found on its website.

In the future, said Edwards, the IGDA needs to find sponsors and not co-host with other organizations that may have differing views on what's appropriate for an IGDA event. Edwards added that in this case, "We had a sponsor lined up with a soft commitment that backed out at the last minute and left us in a situation."

"We realize we make mistakes sometimes; we want to make sure all our programs and activities are inclusive and professional."
While she throws YetiZen under the bus, it's a two-way street because they should've been more forceful to be notified on specifics about the party ahead of time so that they could have things changed that didn't fit their values.

YetiZen's CEO then responded to the claims and said the attires were approved by the IGDA, but then she also says this about the "dancers":
YetiZen did not hire dancers. We hired avid gamers, who happened to be models, to discuss gaming with the invited guests. The YetiZen team (myself, my co-founder, and our resident artist) were invited by the rappers, along with our gamer-models, to dance for a few minutes on stage.
Which is really stretching the terms to try to dodge that bullet and she ends up looking dumb for trying to suggest that they hired gamers that also happened to be models that were able to dance when needed. At this point, it just gets more childish as the YetiZen CEO takes some shots at people and doesn't try to be the bigger person, so there's not much else about the party beyond this. The IGDA executive director wasn't much better, but she at least apologized for the mistakes that were made.

In the end, it seems like both parties messed up and now the IGDA needs to not give up control of future events. The IGDA should've been more forceful and clear about what they wanted from the party and not let YetiZen mostly do what they wanted since they initiated the whole partnership.

Guys the Cagcast is one of my favorite podcast to listen to and it's a lifesaver when I'm sitting at my daughters dance class on Friday mornings. Every now and then you guys say something that leaves me laughing like an idiot which gets me wonderful looks. This week when Cheapy said how he found Tai playing Injustice on the iPad I almost wet myself. As soon as I saw my wife after I listened to the show I told her she had to hear Cheapy's story. She was literally in tears she laced so hard.
We have a 6 year old son whom I have walked in and seen in half naked with the iPad as well (the boy tries to take it in the bathroom with him). When my wife could finally breath again she said I had to tell you thank you for letting her know he's not the only one. Thanks again for the great podcast!
Sincerely
Dustin

P.S. Congratulations Shipwreck!

bread's done
Back