- - - - -

Legend of Korra Book 1: Air - $13.99 DVD, $25.19 Blu

#1 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10354 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

Comes out July 16th. I preordered the blu yesterday.

Edit: Prices were originally $17.99 DVD and $18.99 Blu.

Blu
http://www.amazon.co...legend of korra

DVD
http://www.amazon.co...65667130&sr=8-1

Edited by utopianmachine, 24 April 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#2 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   3805 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thanks, preordered blu. Looking forward to S2.

#3 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

About damn time.

#4 Tsukento   King of Pirates CAGiversary!   3651 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Woo! Looks like it's a good thing I didn't cancel my previous pre-order before the Blu-ray one was taken down. It now connects to the ones you linked, so it's still priced at $15.99 for me. :D

#5 INCyr   Devotee of CAGthulhu CAGiversary!   1253 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hrm, Blu ray or DVD? My Last Airbender sets are DVD, kinda feel like I want to maintain that continuity, but only $1 for the bluray? That's tempting.

Decision, decisions.

#6 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   3805 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

Hrm, Blu ray or DVD? My Last Airbender sets are DVD, kinda feel like I want to maintain that continuity, but only $1 for the bluray? That's tempting.

Decision, decisions.

Same here. I like DVD since I can 1:1 rip to my media server without taking up too much disk space, but as this is a recent animation the quality of Blu-ray is going to be much better. Blu-ray/DVD combo pack would have been great.

#7 utopianmachine   Deal Ninja CAGiversary!   10354 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

utopianmachine

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Decision, decisions.

Eh, continuity. I like getting a blu for only a buck more than DVD.

#8 ssjmichael   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9031 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

ssjmichael

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

I hear the show looks amazing in HD, so screw continuity and go with the Blu-ray guys

#9 Devulture   Scavenging the Earth CAGiversary!   287 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

Since TLA and TLoK are completely separate to another outside of recurring characters, I'm not too worked up about format continuity, so blu-ray for me.

That being said, I see that the creators are taking the Venture Bros school of season-wide commentary and animatics as primary bonus features. Kinda light outside of them, but they're solid bonuses nevertheless.

#10 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5065 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Decision, decisions.

The show was made in HD, and looks absolutely gorgeous, so the Blu-ray should be a no-brainer.

#11 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Plus, it is only 2/3 as many episodes as Avatar's seasons, so the box will probably be thinner anyway.

#12 dualedge2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   773 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

dualedge2

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Decision, decisions.

I'm honestly speechless that you would do that to yourself. Nickelodeon was incredibly stupid not to put Avatar: The Last Airbender on blu-ray. Of course, some of that may have to do with the possibility that it wasn't created digitally. It still doesn't excuse the fact that they should've put it on blu-ray. However, Korra was created digitally. And it shows. Don't let Nickelodeon's idiocy be your loss. Go with the blu-ray.

And as someone else mentioned, it's about damn time.

Edited by dualedge2, 12 April 2013 - 01:22 AM.

#13 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Avatar is a digitally colored toon. It may not be HD, but it is digital.

It probably wasn't put on Blu-ray because, well, Nick doesn't do Blu-rays.

#14 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5065 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

I'm honestly speechless that you would do that to yourself. Nickleodeon was incredibly stupid not to put Avatar: The Last Airbender on blu-ray. Of course, some of that may have to do with the possibility that it wasn't created digitally. It still doesn't excuse the fact that they should've put it on blu-ray. However, Korra was created digitally. And it shows. Don't let Nickleodeon's idiocy be your loss. Go with the blu-ray.

And as someone else mentioned, it's about damn time.

I swear, I have to explain this every time there's a thread about Avatar. The original series wasn't produced in HD. If it had been hand-painted and shot on film, then they *could* go back and painstakingly upgrade it to HD, but it *was* produced digitally, in standard definition, pretty much relegating any future HD release to a mere upscaled version. This would be largely pointless, though, as there's still not a large market for kids programming on Blu-ray.

#15 blk00civicsi   Pillsbury Island CAGiversary!   2097 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

blk00civicsi

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

I'd wager if we show our support for this series on blu, they'll examine an Airbender release on blu ray.

#16 ssjmichael   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9031 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

ssjmichael

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

:roll:

#17 Tsukento   King of Pirates CAGiversary!   3651 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

I swear, I have to explain this every time there's a thread about Avatar. The original series wasn't produced in HD. If it had been hand-painted and shot on film, then they *could* go back and painstakingly upgrade it to HD, but it *was* produced digitally, in standard definition, pretty much relegating any future HD release to a mere upscaled version. This would be largely pointless, though, as there's still not a large market for kids programming on Blu-ray.

Pretty much this. Though I imagine the only reason this (and Cartoon Network's Adventure Time) is getting a Blu-ray release is because of demand from the older fanbase.

#18 tossup   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   164 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

Wow, this is an amazing price for the blu-ray. Even the list price isn't high. I hope more studios could price seasons as reasonably as this. Locked that price in, can't wait to watch it again!

#19 Slappybob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   811 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Slappybob

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Posted Image

#20 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36681 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

I'm not against buying the Blu-ray for this, but my main concern is whether Nick will continue to release future seasons (Books) in that format. Has there ever been an instance where a TV show (animated or otherwise) was initially released on Blu-ray and DVD for the first few sets but the Blu-ray format was eventually phased out and releases became DVD-only?

#21 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5065 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

Posted Image

Right. Shot on film. What's your point?

I'm not against buying the Blu-ray for this, but my main concern is whether Nick will continue to release future seasons (Books) in that format. Has there ever been an instance where a TV show (animated or otherwise) was initially released on Blu-ray and DVD for the first few sets but the Blu-ray format was eventually phased out and releases became DVD-only?

Iron Man Armored Adventures had one "volume" of episodes released on Blu-ray, and all future HD releases were scrapped. I want to say there's been a sitcom or two that got a single Blu-ray release a couple years back as well, but I can't think of what it was off the top of my head. In any case, TV on Blu-ray seems like a much harder sell for the market, but at least it's becoming more common lately. "Kids" programming seem like one of the big holdouts, unfortunately, but buying what *is* released is a good way to show studios that there's demand for it.

#22 ssjmichael   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9031 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

ssjmichael

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

Casablanca? WTF lol

#23 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Not without some kind of manufacturing or licensing issue getting in the way.

Kids shows on Blu-ray is still very niche. Off the top of my head, the list includes Transformers Prime, G.I. Joe Renegades, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Power Rangers Super Samurai, and now Legend of Korea. And most of those can only be found online or FYE. Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc. tend to only carry the DVD versions in-store.

Note that this obviously only affects TV series. Movies, even those based on shows, are a different story.

#24 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:53 AM

He's giving an example of a perfect kid's movie on Blu-Ray, but we're talking about shows here.

Iron Man Armored Adventures had one "volume" of episodes released on Blu-ray, and all future HD releases were scrapped.

Iron Man failed because they did stupid singles. Even Warners is getting out of the singles business. I think the only series currently doing singles are Power Rangers (despite Super Samurai getting a box set release already) and the new TMNT.

#25 roger watersmelon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2696 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

roger watersmelon

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:13 AM

I wouldn't worry about future releases, buy the blus if you want them. By the time you end up in a situation where you wish you had the DVDs, they'll have been out for awhile and should be easily available for less.

Barring something being horribly wrong with the blus, I see no way in which you wouldn't be able to basically swap them out for practically free.

#26 Slappybob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   811 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Slappybob

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:55 AM

Casablanca was not shot in HD either.

#27 SKEETER   YOU GOTTA DEAL WITH IT! CAGiversary!   642 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:33 AM

Well, blu is dead...back up to $24.99 :(

#28 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36681 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:36 AM

Well, blu is dead...back up to $24.99 :(

Well, DARN IT! I was just about to preorder it, too, based on everyone's recommendations...:cry:

#29 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5065 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

Casablanca was not shot in HD either.

Plenty of movies currently on Blu-ray weren't shot in HD, but they *were* shot on 35mm film, which makes them viable candidates for a Blu-ray release. I already stated that if Avatar was shot on film (hand-drawn, hand-painted), they'd be able to produce an HD version - but it wasn't. Read, dammit.

#30 shinzero01   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   112 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

shinzero01

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

Yeah, with animated shows, you'll get great HD transfers from older, hand drawn releases on film/cels if the show isn't created in HD. Anime like Tenchi Muyo (which got a transfer where you can literally see fingerprints from when the animation was drawn) and Yu Yu Hakusho come to mind. Upscales tend to look... bad unless there is considerable effort put into making it look good and proper encoding.