Legend of Korra Book 1: Air - $13.99 DVD, $25.19 Blu

Woo! Looks like it's a good thing I didn't cancel my previous pre-order before the Blu-ray one was taken down. It now connects to the ones you linked, so it's still priced at $15.99 for me. :D

Hrm, Blu ray or DVD? My Last Airbender sets are DVD, kinda feel like I want to maintain that continuity, but only $1 for the bluray? That's tempting.

Decision, decisions.

[quote name='INCyr']Hrm, Blu ray or DVD? My Last Airbender sets are DVD, kinda feel like I want to maintain that continuity, but only $1 for the bluray? That's tempting.

Decision, decisions.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I like DVD since I can 1:1 rip to my media server without taking up too much disk space, but as this is a recent animation the quality of Blu-ray is going to be much better. Blu-ray/DVD combo pack would have been great.

[quote name='INCyr']Hrm, Blu ray or DVD? My Last Airbender sets are DVD, kinda feel like I want to maintain that continuity, but only $1 for the bluray? That's tempting.

Eh, continuity. I like getting a blu for only a buck more than DVD.

Since TLA and TLoK are completely separate to another outside of recurring characters, I'm not too worked up about format continuity, so blu-ray for me.

That being said, I see that the creators are taking the Venture Bros school of season-wide commentary and animatics as primary bonus features. Kinda light outside of them, but they're solid bonuses nevertheless.

The show was made in HD, and looks absolutely gorgeous, so the Blu-ray should be a no-brainer.

I'm honestly speechless that you would do that to yourself. Nickelodeon was incredibly stupid not to put Avatar: The Last Airbender on blu-ray. Of course, some of that may have to do with the possibility that it wasn't created digitally. It still doesn't excuse the fact that they should've put it on blu-ray. However, Korra was created digitally. And it shows. Don't let Nickelodeon's idiocy be your loss. Go with the blu-ray.

And as someone else mentioned, it's about damn time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avatar is a digitally colored toon. It may not be HD, but it is digital.

It probably wasn't put on Blu-ray because, well, Nick doesn't do Blu-rays.

[quote name='dualedge2']...

I'm honestly speechless that you would do that to yourself. Nickleodeon was incredibly stupid not to put Avatar: The Last Airbender on blu-ray. Of course, some of that may have to do with the possibility that it wasn't created digitally. It still doesn't excuse the fact that they should've put it on blu-ray. However, Korra was created digitally. And it shows. Don't let Nickleodeon's idiocy be your loss. Go with the blu-ray.

And as someone else mentioned, it's about damn time.[/QUOTE]

I swear, I have to explain this every time there's a thread about Avatar. The original series wasn't produced in HD. If it had been hand-painted and shot on film, then they *could* go back and painstakingly upgrade it to HD, but it *was* produced digitally, in standard definition, pretty much relegating any future HD release to a mere upscaled version. This would be largely pointless, though, as there's still not a large market for kids programming on Blu-ray.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I swear, I have to explain this every time there's a thread about Avatar. The original series wasn't produced in HD. If it had been hand-painted and shot on film, then they *could* go back and painstakingly upgrade it to HD, but it *was* produced digitally, in standard definition, pretty much relegating any future HD release to a mere upscaled version. This would be largely pointless, though, as there's still not a large market for kids programming on Blu-ray.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much this. Though I imagine the only reason this (and Cartoon Network's Adventure Time) is getting a Blu-ray release is because of demand from the older fanbase.

Wow, this is an amazing price for the blu-ray. Even the list price isn't high. I hope more studios could price seasons as reasonably as this. Locked that price in, can't wait to watch it again!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I swear, I have to explain this every time there's a thread about Avatar. The original series wasn't produced in HD. If it had been hand-painted and shot on film, then they *could* go back and painstakingly upgrade it to HD, but it *was* produced digitally, in standard definition, pretty much relegating any future HD release to a mere upscaled version. This would be largely pointless, though, as there's still not a large market for kids programming on Blu-ray.[/QUOTE]

0001256979791_500X500.jpg

I'm not against buying the Blu-ray for this, but my main concern is whether Nick will continue to release future seasons (Books) in that format. Has there ever been an instance where a TV show (animated or otherwise) was initially released on Blu-ray and DVD for the first few sets but the Blu-ray format was eventually phased out and releases became DVD-only?

[quote name='Slappybob']
0001256979791_500X500.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Right. Shot on film. What's your point?

[quote name='Vigilante']I'm not against buying the Blu-ray for this, but my main concern is whether Nick will continue to release future seasons (Books) in that format. Has there ever been an instance where a TV show (animated or otherwise) was initially released on Blu-ray and DVD for the first few sets but the Blu-ray format was eventually phased out and releases became DVD-only?[/QUOTE]

Iron Man Armored Adventures had one "volume" of episodes released on Blu-ray, and all future HD releases were scrapped. I want to say there's been a sitcom or two that got a single Blu-ray release a couple years back as well, but I can't think of what it was off the top of my head. In any case, TV on Blu-ray seems like a much harder sell for the market, but at least it's becoming more common lately. "Kids" programming seem like one of the big holdouts, unfortunately, but buying what *is* released is a good way to show studios that there's demand for it.

Not without some kind of manufacturing or licensing issue getting in the way.

Kids shows on Blu-ray is still very niche. Off the top of my head, the list includes Transformers Prime, G.I. Joe Renegades, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Power Rangers Super Samurai, and now Legend of Korea. And most of those can only be found online or FYE. Best Buy, Walmart, Target, etc. tend to only carry the DVD versions in-store.

Note that this obviously only affects TV series. Movies, even those based on shows, are a different story.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Right. Shot on film. What's your point?[/QUOTE]He's giving an example of a perfect kid's movie on Blu-Ray, but we're talking about shows here.

Iron Man Armored Adventures had one "volume" of episodes released on Blu-ray, and all future HD releases were scrapped.

Iron Man failed because they did stupid singles. Even Warners is getting out of the singles business. I think the only series currently doing singles are Power Rangers (despite Super Samurai getting a box set release already) and the new TMNT.

I wouldn't worry about future releases, buy the blus if you want them. By the time you end up in a situation where you wish you had the DVDs, they'll have been out for awhile and should be easily available for less.

Barring something being horribly wrong with the blus, I see no way in which you wouldn't be able to basically swap them out for practically free.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Right. Shot on film. What's your point?

[/QUOTE]

Casablanca was not shot in HD either.

[quote name='SKEETER']Well, blu is dead...back up to $24.99 :([/QUOTE]
Well, DARN IT! I was just about to preorder it, too, based on everyone's recommendations...:cry:

[quote name='Slappybob']Casablanca was not shot in HD either.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of movies currently on Blu-ray weren't shot in HD, but they *were* shot on 35mm film, which makes them viable candidates for a Blu-ray release. I already stated that if Avatar was shot on film (hand-drawn, hand-painted), they'd be able to produce an HD version - but it wasn't. Read, dammit.

Yeah, with animated shows, you'll get great HD transfers from older, hand drawn releases on film/cels if the show isn't created in HD. Anime like Tenchi Muyo (which got a transfer where you can literally see fingerprints from when the animation was drawn) and Yu Yu Hakusho come to mind. Upscales tend to look... bad unless there is considerable effort put into making it look good and proper encoding.

[quote name='Vigilante']I'm not against buying the Blu-ray for this, but my main concern is whether Nick will continue to release future seasons (Books) in that format. Has there ever been an instance where a TV show (animated or otherwise) was initially released on Blu-ray and DVD for the first few sets but the Blu-ray format was eventually phased out and releases became DVD-only?[/QUOTE]

Burn Notice, White Collar, every other USA show.

I wish I preordered it when the DVD was $14.

Justice League comes to mind.

[quote name='Tsukento']Justice League comes to mind.[/QUOTE]

Technically, Justice League was released in its entireity on Blu-ray. Just not Unlimited. :p

[quote name='Slappybob']Casablanca was not shot in HD either.[/QUOTE]
Film has no resolution. That's why the shift to digital filming was probably myopic: it's cheaper, but it means that content shot at 1080p will face the same resolution challenges SD content faced in the HD era (sans aspect ratio, of course.)

[quote name='DNukem170']Technically, Justice League was released in its entireity on Blu-ray. Just not Unlimited. :p[/QUOTE]

Which is a shame, because the first season of Unlimited was the highlight of the entire Justice League catalog. The first two Justice League seasons are great, and certainly worth watching. "Tabula Rasa", "The Terror Beyond", and "A Better World" are still some of my favorite episodes. But the first season of Justice League Unlimited is where everything just started coming together.

I'd like to point out that the Bluray features commentary tracks on every episode, while the DVD only has them for select episodes.

[quote name='jumpman17']I'd like to point out that the Bluray features commentary tracks on every episode, while the DVD only has them for select episodes.[/QUOTE]

That's lame. Makes me not want to buy it at all.

[quote name='bigdaddy']That's lame. Makes me not want to buy it at all.[/QUOTE]

Or, y'know, just buy the Blu-ray, which is the best possible version.

[quote name='DNukem170']Technically, Justice League was released in its entireity on Blu-ray. Just not Unlimited. :p[/QUOTE]
That's pretty much what I meant. :p The first was available in Blu-ray, Unlimited wasn't.

Can't believe I missed this. Need to look at this forum more often.

[quote name='SMBScooby']I wished they would release Young Justice on Blu Ray that would defiantly be a buy.[/QUOTE]

The way they've treated that show has been such a damn shame, I doubt we'll see any tangible releases for it.

If we're talking about Young Justice, they've only been released bare bones on DVD, in volumes.

There was that whole thing about them pushing the air date for the second half of Season 2 back to line up with their new DC block or whatever it was.

And then they cancelled it.

Like I said, they've treated that show poorly and I'll be surprised if we even see a proper box set for it.

[quote name='Indignate']Like I said, they've treated that show poorly and I'll be surprised if we even see a proper box set for it.[/QUOTE]

The DCAU has been the only DC series to get complete sets. Superfriends, Teen Titans, The Batman, and Brave and the Bold all have to make do with season sets.

Considering that Warners has streamlined their DVDs now (all series get the exact same menu and use one piece of coverart), I would be shocked if they do another series box set ever again.

[quote name='DNukem170']The DCAU has been the only DC series to get complete sets. Superfriends, Teen Titans, The Batman, and Brave and the Bold all have to make do with season sets.

Considering that Warners has streamlined their DVDs now (all series get the exact same menu and use one piece of coverart), I would be shocked if they do another series box set ever again.[/QUOTE]
It's too bad cause I love the box set for JL+JLU. I even put it on display:

I liked the book-style case that they did for Avatar TLA Book 1 CE. Would have picked up CE over the other two books if they had made them. And I would have thrown money through my laptop screen for an Avatar TLA OST. There's just not enough love for western animated series.

bread's done
Back