Starbound Preorder/Kickstarter

Dalrint

CAGiversary!
So Starbound is having a pre-order kickstarter on their website, http://playstarbound.net . It's a Terraria style game except in space, with procedurally generated planets to explore and build on and it looks really, really good.

They have stretch goals (well, one right now) and are doing the kickstarter on their own instead of through the KS website, so it doesn't seem to have an ending date? And pre-ordering gets you the beta and a soundtrack (and other stuff if you pay more) and a steam key.

It looks really good, and I'd bet it will be 20 dollars when it officially comes out, rather than fifteen, so it's a deal! Maybe! Either way more people should go buy it to get stretch goals.

Bought it last night. I got the Pixel Tier. Been waiting for this game for a while now. Thanks for spreading the word!

[quote name='Dalrint']So Starbound is having a pre-order kickstarter on their website, http://playstarbound.net . It's a Terraria style game except in space, with procedurally generated planets to explore and build on and it looks really, really good.

They have stretch goals (well, one right now) and are doing the kickstarter on their own instead of through the KS website, so it doesn't seem to have an ending date? And pre-ordering gets you the beta and a soundtrack (and other stuff if you pay more) and a steam key.

It looks really good, and I'd bet it will be 20 dollars when it officially comes out, rather than fifteen, so it's a deal! Maybe! Either way more people should go buy it to get stretch goals.[/QUOTE]

Misread nevermind.

[quote name='Edzo04']wish this was coming to vita. id enjoy it much more on a handheld[/QUOTE]

Well the problem is that they're basically making and funding and publishing it themselves. They're kickstartering because some of their people had to take second jobs just to make it.

I imagine if it does well, it could end up in other places.

This really isn't a deal. There is no discount for pre-ordering. Just seems like advertising to me. :whistle2:\"

this isn't really a deal not it's not a preorder, in fact, there is NO GUARANTEE that the game will ever be finished.

A lot of Kick Start projects that has been Funded but fail to execute (or on Time), or changes from initial projection.

[quote name='djricekcn']it's not a preorder, in fact, there is NO GUARANTEE that the game will ever be finished.

A lot of Kick Start projects that has been Funded but fail to execute (or on Time), or changes from initial projection.[/QUOTE]

The difference here is that they have indeed done a great deal of the work already and proven the concept. By your logic, if you preorder a game from an AAA Dev, there is "NO GUARANTEE" it will ever be finished. True, however it's the exact same.

[quote name='djricekcn']this isn't really a deal not it's not a preorder, in fact, there is NO GUARANTEE that the game will ever be finished.

A lot of Kick Start projects that has been Funded but fail to execute (or on Time), or changes from initial projection.[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting patiently for boot city heroes.

[quote name='Dalrint']Well the problem is that they're basically making and funding and publishing it themselves. They're kickstartering because some of their people had to take second jobs just to make it.

I imagine if it does well, it could end up in other places.[/QUOTE]
yeah that makes sense. im just spoiled by the vita and want every game to be released on it haha. ill probably buy this steam version to support it because it does look really cool

[quote name='Bios Element']The difference here is that they have indeed done a great deal of the work already and proven the concept. By your logic, if you preorder a game from an AAA Dev, there is "NO GUARANTEE" it will ever be finished. True, however it's the exact same.[/QUOTE]

Except if you preorder an actual retail game and the game never ships, the retailer will refund your money. Kickstarter offers no such guarantee. This is not a deal nor a preorder at a discount. As such, the thread needs to be moved.

By that measure there shouldn't be any pre-order discounts listed here as none of the games are out yet and any of them could be canceled before launch.

There is no 'this is a donation without any guarantee' ala Kickstarter. This isn't a Kickstarter. It's a discounted pre-order using the Humble Store but it has unlocks at certain levels of sales like a Kickstarter. Should the game evaporate into thin air and never release then you can look to PayPal, Amazon, or Google for your refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bojay1997']Except if you preorder an actual retail game and the game never ships, the retailer will refund your money. Kickstarter offers no such guarantee. This is not a deal nor a preorder at a discount. As such, the thread needs to be moved.[/QUOTE]

Yep. This isn't even a kickstarter is it? It's something they're doing on their website that is similar to what kickstarter does. I'm not even sure they had a goal to meet. Looks interesting and I might buy it when it's release though.

I'm pretty sure the only kickstarter with a case for a deal is divinity original sin. And that is entirely because the game was going to be made anyway and this was larian's way of getting more funds for a directors cut game. Kickstarter isn't always not a deal ($25 for original sin, $40 for dragon commander) and there are exceptions to the rule.

Not sure this is one though.

[quote name='Thongsy']Yep. This isn't even a kickstarter is it? It's something they're doing on their website that is similar to what kickstarter does. I'm not even sure they had a goal to meet. Looks interesting and I might buy it when it's release though.[/QUOTE]

Basically the reason for this is that some of their developers had to take on second jobs, slowing production of the game. This was to allow them to solely focus on the game and release it sooner rather than continually delaying it. Since they already passed that, the stretch goals are for hiring outside help to focus on something to get it before retail release. They would be added at some point post-launch, but this just speeds things up.

Also, the transactions are handled through Humble Bundle in case anyone was curious.

bread's done
Back