Tales of Vesperia $24.98 on Amazon.com

[quote name='AionTelos']Bleh, was this 360 exclusive?[/QUOTE]

In English, yes, Microsoft helped fund the game for it to be timed exclusive, and the PS3 one was never localized. This is one of the better Tales games I've played, but it's not like other consoles don't have exclusive Tales games too...

[quote name='ShadowAssassin']It's definitely one of the best if not the best. This, Xenoblade Chronicles, Skyrim are all up there.[/QUOTE]

Skyrim is a better game IMO but I specified JRPG since presumably that's what people coming here what be interested in. I can't comment on Xenoblade. I only played my copy a few hours and am now selling it because it seemed a bit boring to me and the graphics were bad.

[quote name='Blaster man']Best JRPG this generation of those I've played and I played nearly all of them that are not SRPG.[/QUOTE]

funny thing is I haven't played this one, but played Graces already. This and Graces are one of the best Tales I've heard!

Just went down to $16.99, I am SO freakin tempted even tho I already played and beat it.

Didnt notice he wanted a crazy amount to ship the game.

I so probably will buy this. Ugh! I lent my previous copy out to someone and never got it back. Never again will I lend any games out to that person again. But here we go. $25. I purchased this last time for $25

[quote name='Blaster man']Skyrim is a better game IMO but I specified JRPG since presumably that's what people coming here what be interested in. I can't comment on Xenoblade. I only played my copy a few hours and am now selling it because it seemed a bit boring to me and the graphics were bad.[/QUOTE]
Oblivion yes but Skyrim I would have to disagree with. The writing for the storylines was just too weak.

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']In English, yes, Microsoft helped fund the game for it to be timed exclusive, and the PS3 one was never localized. This is one of the better Tales games I've played, but it's not like other consoles don't have exclusive Tales games too...[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I guess I'll have to pass on the count of not having a 360

Is this game oop? Kind of want to wait for a lower price, but if it''s oop, I'm not going to risk not getting it and all of sudden its price skyrockets.

I bit and bought a copy. I couldn't resist. This is Microsoft's best JRPG on the 360 this generation. Other than Lost Odyssey.

[quote name='TheGuardianWolf']In English, yes, Microsoft helped fund the game for it to be timed exclusive, and the PS3 one was never localized. This is one of the better Tales games I've played, but it's not like other consoles don't have exclusive Tales games too...[/QUOTE]

Tales of Vesperia was never a timed exclusive. A namco community manager said it, but was forced by Namco to retract that statement because it wasn't true. The real reason why they didn't release the PS3 version is because of the extra work involved and they are afraid of not making enough sales to recoup costs (though I strongly disagree as I think there are a lot of current ToV owners who would buy the complete version).

Nintendo did fund Symphonia localization though, and that's why we never got the complete PS2 version (though unlike Vesperia, the extras were fairly minor)
Even if the game goes "OOP", there's always the $30 digital...

[quote name='neo.dorsia']Just grabbed it for $16.99, cheers for the heads up[/QUOTE]

Where exactly is the $16.99? I see the $25.

[quote name='twiceborn']Is this game oop? Kind of want to wait for a lower price, but if it''s oop, I'm not going to risk not getting it and all of sudden its price skyrockets.[/QUOTE]

Every now and then Amazon or NewEgg will sell it for sub-$25 (NewEgg will have the occassional $15-$17 sale) but GS charges $40 for a used copy and no other B&M retailer still has it. Only Game Crazy and BB stocked it back when it released in Sept. 2008. The CE of it (which was Amazon/Game Crazy exclusive) still sells for over $100 opened.

It's also available for $30/2000 Allards on Games on Demand.

I don't have a Wii so I can't speak to any of the Project Rainfall games, but I'd say the best JRPG's of the past few years are Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles, Persona 4, Ys Seven, and Lost Odyssey. All of those are either MS (Vesperia and LO) or Sony exclusive.

Great game. Definitely worth the price if you like JRPGs. I've played Graces F but couldn't get into it. Vesperia I've played like mad. I love the amount of customization you can do. My favorite part of the game was figuring out how to set up the battle to auto-resolve, walk away, and come back after work to find an insane payoff.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I tried twice but couldn't get into this. The battle system just didn't do it for me.

Hasn't this been $16 on NewEgg many times?[/QUOTE]

yes but it's discontinued from them now, it's sold by some third party seller for $40 on newegg

Yeah, Newegg had it for $16 at least 4 or 5 times, but i think it's been almost a year since their last sale on it - I don't think they have any stock left.

VERY much worth it for $25. I sunk at least 150 hours into this since release. I actually bought it near release, played the first hour, and shelved it for two years. Finally broke it out to play co-op and after the first hour or so, really got into the story and characters and the battle system :) I think my first playthrough took ~80 hours. (Go Judith!)

I've played it through three times now. I highly recommend this for co-op. Just make sure your partner(s) like playing a game with a lot of story too - this follows the typical format of Story segment - combat! - story - etc.

Definitely the best RPG on the Xbox :)

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I tried twice but couldn't get into this. The battle system just didn't do it for me.

Hasn't this been $16 on NewEgg many times?[/QUOTE]
Yes. I got it last year for that.

I loved this tales games almost as much as tales of symphonia. This is definitely more enjoyable then tales of the graces f for me. It's more light hearted and amusing with very likable characters.

For those of you who got the first print run, is the manual in color? I've seen this game at GS and they all have blacknwhite pages. The reason why i'm asking is because Tales of the Abyss's current reprint is in black and white, while others are in color.

[quote name='domon']For those of you who got the first print run, is the manual in color? I've seen this game at GS and they all have blacknwhite pages. The reason why i'm asking is because Tales of the Abyss's current reprint is in black and white, while others are in color.[/QUOTE]

The one I have has an all color booklet. Either that was unique to the first couple of runs or Gamestop is printing up their own booklets

i just beat this game last week. imo it was a decent ride. no more no less. playing graces now and its decent so far. the tales series just isnt great to me. not bad either just kinda mediocre.

[quote name='gmsick']i just beat this game last week. imo it was a decent ride. no more no less. playing graces now and its decent so far. the tales series just isnt great to me. not bad either just kinda mediocre.[/QUOTE]

This is how i feel, meh. The only reason why in playing these tales game is because ff has been a let down this gen and ive been trying find a rpg fix. Tales is a good series but yeah. Lookin forward to xillia..

[quote name='domon']For those of you who got the first print run, is the manual in color? I've seen this game at GS and they all have blacknwhite pages. The reason why i'm asking is because Tales of the Abyss's current reprint is in black and white, while others are in color.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the first print was in color, and all subsequent reprints have been black and white, as far as I know.

My own copy has a full color manual. I got a second copy, one of those $16 copies from Newegg, a couple of years ago for my sister, and it was black and white.

Are you referring to the 3ds version or ps2?

[quote name='zyxomma100']Yes, the first print was in color, and all subsequent reprints have been black and white, as far as I know.

My own copy has a full color manual. I got a second copy, one of those $16 copies from Newegg, a couple of years ago for my sister, and it was black and white.[/QUOTE]

anyway to determine if a sealed copy is a 1st run print?
I heard the original still used "normal" 360 cases before Microsoft transitioned to those eco crap versions so there might be a very slight weight difference.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']anyway to determine if a sealed copy is a 1st run print?
I heard the original still used "normal" 360 cases before Microsoft transitioned to those eco crap versions so there might be a very slight weight difference.[/QUOTE]

Her rerun version used an eco-case; mine didn't. I can't confirm that all reruns used an eco-case, but I would stake a little bit of money on it.

Other than that, I meticulously examined both versions, and I can't find any difference between the two (other than manual/case) except that the original run possibly uses a slightly bolder font for the spine ID. I'd post a pic, but it's almost impossible to see even in the closeup, and it would be inconclusive anyway.

I like graces f better, but vesperia is pretty decent it's a shame the ps3 version (which is better) was never localized in english. either way, if you like JRPGs it's pretty decent. there is a demo of the game btw.

This game has gone in and out of print regularly throughout the years.

I actually brought this when it first came out and I didn't have a 360 (still don't actually). I'm currently working my way through it (it's gonna take awhile since I can only play at my nephew's house)

Matter of fact, I'd recommend any and all Tales of games. Definitely pick it up if you like JRPGs.

[quote name='AionTelos']Thanks, I guess I'll have to pass on the count of not having a 360[/QUOTE]

If you can get the PS3 version, there are English subtitles and it actually includes more content than the 360 version. But even a used copy will cost you around $30-40 and a new copy ranges around $80-100 because of the prices of Japanese games + importing it over.

[quote name='kkotd']If you can get the PS3 version, there are English subtitles and it actually includes more content than the 360 version. But even a used copy will cost you around $30-40 and a new copy ranges around $80-100 because of the prices of Japanese games + importing it over.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly. The English files were hidden on disc and were pretty much the exact ones from the Xbox version. None of the new content was translated into English and anyone that picks up the game expecting to play it in ebglish will be sorely disappointed.

[quote name='Byakurai']Not exactly. The English files were hidden on disc and were pretty much the exact ones from the Xbox version. None of the new content was translated into English and anyone that picks up the game expecting to play it in ebglish will be sorely disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, apparently it's been a while, actually did a bit of searching. There's a big project to fan localize the entire thing, but right now it's left to reading a script.
http://apps.lushu.org/vesperia/

Wow. I thought joining CAG would make stuff cheaper for me...all it has done is make me spend less on certain games but buy more so I'm spending more.

Curse you! -.-

Should have bought this when it was 15$ on newegg dammit

bread's done
Back