NEOGEO X GOLD Limited Edition $129.99 on Amazon

[quote name='bcRIPster']If you've been sitting the fence, this is probably the cheapest your going to see it.[/QUOTE]

I'd bet it goes a little lower. After reading user reviews and comments I'm not sure I'd pick it up even at $99. I had one of these in-hand at Christmas time but returned it. Being an older gamer it really appealed to me but I would have primarily used it through my TV and everything I've read says its poorly implemented.

$50 or less would be my buy price, the screen tearing and lack of a new save function make this more of an oddity for the collection than a viable console purchase. It's an interesting idea but has too many flaws to spend any decent money on. Plus, I haven't been following it closely, but have they figured out a way to distribute new releases to it? I'd also be interested how much the handheld can handle, emulation-wise if it's modded.

Well... $129 was the sweet spot for my attention. I had yet to see it that low on Amazon before and figured it worth sharing.

ahahaha, no. $129 is still too much for an emulator on a chip, even if the pieces of plastic its encased in are shaped like an old game console. how did people not smell that this thing was a piece of shit from a mile away?

It was 129 for a week last week. Then price jumped up again, and now back down.
Damn I regret buying this for full price.

I bought one at Best Buy when it hit $129, but returned it two days later. I really REALLY wanted to like this thing...but the docking station wouldnt click closed properly every time, the controller felt cheaper than the Tekken 6 arcade controller I use (was using them both for PC), and I felt like the handheld was pretty much crap after putting it down and picking up my PSP with the SNK Collection. The screen/color difference was so drastic between the two that I just couldn't justify ever playing with the X Gold...especially with the 5 credit limit.

I dunno...I really want this thing, but not until it's less than $75. I just doesn't make sense at all.

I paid $99 new at Target (online item return) and haven't touched it since day 1. If I wasn't a collector it'd be gone.

[quote name='bcRIPster']Wow, so much love for the system ... Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest on this. ;)[/QUOTE]

It's good to post the drops, keeps us informed and helps if anyone was thinking of grabbing this for more at retail. I just think it will eventually go lower, given the existence of NeoGeo emulators on PC and the lack of perfect emulation on this. But nice work nonetheless OP

I wonder how many of these things they made? I'm waiting for the $100 new or $50-75 used price...preferably used.

Why does this have to keep going back to $129? I know I want it, but I must resist.
...and yes, I know what it is and what I would be getting. I want it anyway.

I think there will be another price drop in store even lower.Hard to get people to pay this much money for an old gen system even redone.Could buy a 3DS instead for this price.

I will be getting this console around May. I am trying to budget my money and May is my next "videogame treat" purchase for myself. Hopefully the price of 130 (or lower) will still be around on Amazon by the time I order one.

By the way, I just found this youtube video and after watching it, I am convinced the console is well worth 130 dollars! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS7gkoh1gRw

[quote name='Magiblaze']I think there will be another price drop in store even lower.Hard to get people to pay this much money for an old gen system even redone.Could buy a 3DS instead for this price.[/QUOTE]

You're obviously not the target audience for the Neo Geo X if you are comparing the purchase price to the 3DS. This is meant for old school gamers or people who enjoy the golden age of gaming and want to relive it. Hell, you can buy almost anything else for 130 dollars. Why just stop at the 3DS? You can buy an Xbox360, PSP, PS3, etc for that price too. :roll:

[quote name='icewolf74'] This is meant for old school gamers or people who enjoy the golden age of gaming and want to relive it.[/QUOTE]

Most serious neo geo fans own a neo geo home system, arcade machine or consolized mvs already. This is just an overpriced emulator, which can't even do that properly.

Hey Triggerman, how is that Sengoku 2001 treating you, still in the collection? :)

Icewolfs vid captures my feelings.

Personally I really enjoy the system.. I paid 99 at cowboom and have no regrets - when you consider the alternative actually buying an AES or MVS, original carts, etc. it gets pretty appealing.. Sure you can play several of the games on other platforms, but this much more authentic.. Plus it's a legal setup.

The fact this thing even came out is amazing.. Ill gladly support something like this - no its not the same as owning the orig console, but it's pretty damn cool, plays and looks great IMO

I suppose if I had spent 1000 plus on an AES and a few good games I might be inclined to slam the crap out of this product as well.. Got to justify spending that some how, and the release of something like this I'm sure did not bode well for those that have dropped a lot of cash on AES carts, potential to hurt value.

OMG it's romz!

If you've always wanted a neogeo, good chance you will like it.

[quote name='Blackshear']Icewolfs vid captures my feelings.

Personally I really enjoy the system.. I paid 99 at cowboom and have no regrets - when you consider the alternative actually buying an AES or MVS, original carts, etc. it gets pretty appealing.. Sure you can play several of the games on other platforms, but this much more authentic.. Plus it's a legal setup.

The fact this thing even came out is amazing.. Ill gladly support something like this - no its not the same as owning the orig console, but it's pretty damn cool, plays and looks great IMO

I suppose if I had spent 1000 plus on an AES and a few good games I might be inclined to slam the crap out of this product as well.. Got to justify spending that some how, and the release of something like this I'm sure did not bode well for those that have dropped a lot of cash on AES carts, potential to hurt value.

OMG it's romz!

If you've always wanted a neogeo, good chance you will like it.[/QUOTE]

First of all, if you were so eager to support this thing, why didn't you buy it at release for $200? Your point about AES values is also ridiculous. This thing hasn't had one cent of impact on what AES games or the AES or any other Neo Geo product sells for. It's a poorly built Chinese handheld with an ill-functioning dock that has nothing to do with the real Neo Geo other than a licensing deal to use the name, some case designs and some roms. They didn't even bother to properly license the emulator they stole to make the system work. As someone who stupidly got this at release, I would highly recommend that nobody buy it until it hits true clearance pricing.

actually i like neo geo games, but im not a collector. i payed $475 for a mint 4 slot mvs with a pause switch installed with 4 carts one of which was a sealed 161 in 1 (95 original games) multicart. so even at sales price of $129 and $25 each for 3 game paks. my setup is not only better quality, but a hell of alot cheaper than the x gold equivalent. i doubt the x gold will be around long enough to release 100 titles though.

[quote name='bojay1997']First of all, if you were so eager to support this thing, why didn't you buy it at release for $200? [/QUOTE]
Lol, you really have to ask a guy on cheapass gamer that question? because I'm smarter than that.

[quote name='bojay1997']Your point about AES values is also ridiculous. This thing hasn't had one cent of impact on what AES games or the AES or any other Neo Geo product sells for. [/QUOTE]
re-releases have been known to hurt game values, to say no one who flamed this system was never concerned about that is ignorant.. it is easy to sit there and say it didn't after the events have played out though

[quote name='bojay1997']It's a poorly built Chinese handheld with an ill-functioning dock that has nothing to do with the real Neo Geo other than a licensing deal to use the name, some case designs and some roms.[/QUOTE]
For something that had nothing to do with Neo Geo that sounded like alot to do with Neo Geo. Mine works awesome.

[quote name='bojay1997']They didn't even bother to properly license the emulator they stole to make the system work. [/quote]
Plays great, I didn't notice

[quote name='Blackshear']Lol, you really have to ask a guy on cheapass gamer that question? because I'm smarter than that.

re-releases have been known to hurt game values, to say no one who flamed this system was never concerned about that is ignorant.. it is easy to sit there and say it didn't after the events have played out though

For something that had nothing to do with Neo Geo that sounded like alot to do with Neo Geo. Mine works awesome.

Plays great, I didn't notice[/QUOTE]

You need to go back and re-read your own post. You said "I'll gladly support something like this". In fact, you didn't. You bought a return at half MSRP meaning that Tommo made nothing on the sale. Re-releases very rarely impact values on the collectors market for in-demand items. There are thousands of games available on Steam and PSN and XBL and elsewhere that were previously only available in their original format and few if any of those have dropped in resale value.

As for having something to do with Neo Geo, this is no different than any other emulator based means of playing the games, legal or not. Tommo cut a check to SNK Playmore and that was that. SNK Playmore had nothing to do with the design or anything else. It's not an AES or an MVS or even a Neo Geo CD. It's just a cheaply made handheld that has lousy video quality and poor durability. Just ask all the non-collectors who bought them and had to return them because their directional pads stopped working or buttons became stuck or the dock wouldn't output anything but static.

If you spend any amount of time playing a real Neo Geo, you will immediately notice and be disappointed by the graphics, speed, sound, etc...of the Neo Geo X versus the real thing. The reason you didn't notice is you lack the real thing to compare it to. Those of us who own both immediately discovered just how poor the X is in comparison.

[quote name='bojay1997']You said "I'll gladly support something like this". In fact, you didn't. You bought a return at half MSRP meaning that Tommo made nothing on the sale.
[/QUOTE]

I've supported it by coming on this forum to tell people out there the thing is worth getting if your into this kind of thing.. something I would not have been able to do had I not purchased the system

In addition I also plan on buying new game cards on amazon, does that allow me to say I support Neo Geo X :roll: ? lol

icewolfs video is a very good assessment of the system that should be watched by anyone who is considering the system

my only issue and probably everyone else on the fence...

i can turn on my PC and boom my Neo Geo emulators and Roms are there

oh it comes with a portable console ?

got my Droid X (which i use as a portable gaming console) running pure emulators....

[quote name='icewolf74']I will be getting this console around May. I am trying to budget my money and May is my next "videogame treat" purchase for myself. Hopefully the price of 130 (or lower) will still be around on Amazon by the time I order one.

By the way, I just found this youtube video and after watching it, I am convinced the console is well worth 130 dollars! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS7gkoh1gRw[/QUOTE]

The screen tearing is pretty horrible, that's for sure.

Well I ended up managing to scrounge up 90 dollars in store credit with Best Buy this afternoon thanks to a couple of PS3 game trade ins and a 30 RZ gift certificate; I ended up ordering one for the price of 45 dollars (after taking in the 90 dollars store credit) out of my pocket since they too were selling the Neo Geo Gold X for 130 dollars. I am so glad to be finally getting this. I've been wanting it since it first came out in November/December, just never got around to buying one. I was going to wait to May, but I think I could swing 45 dollars and it not break the bank.

Glad to see the video I posted is helping people decide if they want this or not. The Neo Geo Gold X looked great to me from the video and almost the same thing as the real Neo Geo except much cheaper. I also loved how "clicky" both the handheld buttons and the joystick buttons are. Now to wait for it to arrive to me in a week or so. YAY!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really enjoying mine, the cost of some great SNK nostalgia comes pretty cheap at $129. I didn't really have any interest in playing on TV so I only use the handheld. I think people just don't know what to expect; this isn't going to be the same quality as a system that is going to have a distribution of millions of units with a hefty R&D budget; this is a niche offering. That being said, the build quality is very good, with the rubberized back, chrome logo adornment, generously sized screen and tactile joystick.

Granted, I don't like that the unit has to be charged in the "system" and the game cartridges only contain three games each (lame!), but I'm pretty happy that someone took the time and effort to bring this to market. The games are responsive, graphically well represented and remind me of playing on SNK cabinets at the arcade many years ago. If you're an SNK fan, this is definitely worth giving a shot.

lol.. I added one to my cart at Best Buy last night because my cousin really wants one for his bday. Today I looked at my cart and the price is $109...but it wont let me buy it. When I search for it on the site it's gone too.

Hell I couldnt afford Neo Geo in 1990 at $600 for console and $200 for a cartridge. Ebay prices now are still high. This is the poor mans neo geo. I got one. Maybe when I make my fortune I can afford the AES or MVS. Besides with wife and family this will be okay with wife. I get AES and she will need another diamond. Lol. :D

I got mine from Best Buy yesterday and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! This brings back so many great memories as a teen in the early 90s, when the Neo Geo was in its height of popularity. I don't have a problem with the graphics like many have stated and I am running mine on an HDTV. I mean, I can definitely see the lower resolution, even using the HDMI cable, but these are 20 year old games and are more meant for CRT televisions and not HDTVs. I would say it is the equivalent of running the games on a computer monitor with an emulator, but at a slightly lower resolution....I guess. I don't care though because I love having these games. Best part my two favorite fighting games are on it, and ones I've played the most so far: Samurai Shodown 2 and King of Fighters 95.

I always wanted an AES console when it came out, but like most, it was waaaaaay out of my price range back in the day. I remember drooling over the demo unit back in Babbages and thinking how great it would be to have it. Well those days are no more because I do have one, albeit a digital version and a recreation of the console unit. Good enough for me. lol :D

I plan on picking this up soon. Maybe next price drop. I also plan on playing it on my old crt tv I use for the classics. I find it hard to play games that were never meant to be played on HD on an HD. Im wondering if this has something to do with people be critical about the graphics?

Too retro for me. There's a problem when you can buy a current gen console cheaper than some blast from the past. :/ I'm content with digital downloads on today's systems.

[quote name='UnlockPotential']There's a problem when you can buy a current gen console cheaper than some blast from the past.[/QUOTE]
Sure, but current gen consoles don't include 21 games and an arcade stick though. Unfortunately it sounds like they went with quantity over quality.

Hey Triggerman, how is that Sengoku 2001 treating you, still in the collection? :)
Hey :D

Yup,

She's as snug as a Bug in a Rug with the others.

2iibl0w.jpg

[quote name='icewolf74']I will be getting this console around May. I am trying to budget my money and May is my next "videogame treat" purchase for myself. Hopefully the price of 130 (or lower) will still be around on Amazon by the time I order one.

By the way, I just found this youtube video and after watching it, I am convinced the console is well worth 130 dollars! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS7gkoh1gRw[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting the video. I'm really trying to hold out for under $100 but after watching that video I want one now =)

Eventually when we buy a house I want a MVS but that's at least 3-4 years away and it be nice to play some of the games again now.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Hey :D

Yup,

She's as snug as a Bug in a Rug with the others.

2iibl0w.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Oh man now that is Sexy! =D

[quote name='TehTriggerman']O RLY?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NEO-GE...200?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3375304aa0[/QUOTE]

RLY. you might want to look a little harder next time. asking price doesn't equal actual worth. id recommend you reading that entire thread. it actually talks about the guy that supposedly sold his copy for a ridiculous price. he has a reputation to gouging people that aren't knowledgeable about neo geo values. here are examples of what its worth realistically. also its a toss up on rarity between the us & jpn vesions. some people say the us, some say jpn, some say they are equal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sengoku-3-N...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.neostore.com/Sengoku-3-English-AES-p/989.htm

Does anyone know if they are still gonna release the system update and the planned game bundles for this still. Im thinking with the price drops and bad buzz around this they may not release anything else. It might force my hand to get an original system if thats the case.

[quote name='kit352']Does anyone know if they are still gonna release the system update and the planned game bundles for this still. Im thinking with the price drops and bad buzz around this they may not release anything else. It might force my hand to get an original system if thats the case.[/QUOTE]

5 separate game packs are coming out this week. See Amazon

bread's done
Back