Boston Marathon Bombing - Three dead 175+ injured

bigdaddy

Banned
Less than an hour ago there was 1-2 explosions at the Boston Marathon.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...eard-near-finish-line-of-boston-marathon?lite

Two bombings, 50 to 100 yards apart, with the first one very near the finish line at 2:50pm EST. JFK had a fire, not related, the fire was because of construction (most likely).

Three confirmed dead. Many more injured.

NBC - The T (It's the bus and train service in Boston) is shut down. A million people have no where to go. Normal Green, Orange, and Red Line service has resumed. Park Street and Downtown Crossing Stations have reopened. Please expect residual delays in service. - MBTA

News conference - A device downtown was exploded by police. Which the morning of the 16th the police took back and said there was not a third device.

Cellphone service in Boston has been shut down / isn't working well, so email or text people if you know anyone there.(update 6pm: Only outgoing calls are allowed in the Boston area)

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit.

Looks like cell service in the Watertown area by the mall, IHOP, and Western Ave just went down. Sis works in that area. Looks like she's good. whew!

Just found out about this via FB. Though it looks like it may be the case, are they sure this was an actual bombing? I ask as to avoid any needless scaremongering.

Not confirmed as a bombing, sorry for the title, but confirmed from the police is 2 dead, at least 23 injured.

The Boston Police sent off a tweet (God help us) that two dead and at least 23 injured.

The Boston Herald is getting hammered.

MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said subway service has been suspended on the Green Line between Kenmore and the Park Street stations. Runners were being told to move on to the Boston Common. People were being instructed to turn off their cell phones as multiple calls began jamming cell phone service. The Prudential Center was evacuated.

Initial reports from Mass General, are at least 10 amputations/missing limbs. 3 dead.

Roupen Bastajian, a 35-year-old state trooper from Greenville, R.I., had just finished the race when they put the heat blanket wrap on him and he heard the first blast.
''I started running toward the blast. And there were people all over the floor,'' he said. ''We started grabbing tourniquets and started tying legs. A lot of people amputated. ... At least 25 to 30 people have at least one leg missing, or an ankle missing, or two legs missing.''

Authorities may have taken down local cell service as a preventative measure in case of cell phone triggered detonators, although in this case it could be the enormous call volume did just bring the service down or to a halt.

Suffice to say this has all the M.O. of a terrorist bombing; that has nothing to do with scare or rumor mongering. Given that it was two explosions in close proximity and time, and happened right by the finish line of the premiere U.S.(if not world) marathon, I'm definitely going to call a spade a spade.

I made this a wiki thread, anyone feel free to update the first post. The more confirmed info the better, and I hope everyone here near Boston is OK.

[quote name='bigdaddy']It's been confirmed as a bombing by an intelligent official. Two more bombs found.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thank God they found them, suspect at this point that the devices were cell phone triggered, thus the reasoning for shutting down cell phone service.

Also a report has indicated to be wary of trash/refuse containers/cans.

You know what this reminds me of, anyone remember what happened several years ago when there were bright lights all over the city for some Adult Swim show? The police thought that 23 bright lights were bombs and it had a similar feeling.

Sadly this isn't a "cops being stupid" story, this is real and people are dead.

[quote name='bigdaddy']You know what this reminds me of, anyone remember what happened several years ago when there were bright lights all over the city for some Adult Swim show? The police thought that 23 bright lights were bombs and it had a similar feeling.

Sadly this isn't a "cops being stupid" story, this is real and people are dead.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I remember that, it was for Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Details on that here.

[quote name='karkyco']Wow, thank God they found them, suspect at this point that the devices were cell phone triggered, thus the reasoning for shutting down cell phone service.

Also a report has indicated to be wary of trash/refuse containers/cans.[/QUOTE]

They don't remove the trash cans? In Time Square every New Year Eve they remove them, and stick them back at 4am.

Some random doctor at one hospital... 6 very seriously critical injuries, very very bad, 5 serious and 19 more.

[quote name='bigdaddy']They don't remove the trash cans? In Time Square every New Year Eve they remove them, and stick them back at 4am.

Some random doctor at one hospital... 6 very seriously critical injuries, very very bad, 5 serious and 19 more.[/QUOTE]

The trash cans themselves could have been planted after the real ones were removed, if in fact the explosives were placed in trash cans (or faux trash cans).

Some of the initial twitter pics and a mini vid of the first explosion here - WARNING SOME OF THE PHOTOS CONTAIN GRAPHIC IMAGES...

^That's just silly. The cops would have known there shouldn't have been trash cans around and would have looked into it.

[quote name='bigdaddy']^That's just silly. The cops would have known there shouldn't have been trash cans around and would have looked into it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but the report did mention Boston authorities warning to be wary of trash cans. Perhaps just as a general precaution in the wake of the bombings. I agree that they no doubt take them (and mailboxes) out along the routes/locations of major events, dignitary/world leader visits, etc. Just passing along what I heard on the news radio.

BTW, this is also Patriot's Day in Massachusetts...

TMZ has a bunch of pics up on their site of the incident, again some are very graphic. However, of particular note is pic #9, which shows the elderly runner who appeared to fall as a result of the first explosion, which looked like it took place about 15-20 feet to his left, behind the barrier between the runners and the sidewalk/crowd. In the pic, you can see what appears to be the second explosion a couple of blocks down (further from the finish line) from the first explosion's location (which was near the VIP stand according to news reports).

I'm at work near an regional/municipal airport in Mass. Lots of helicopters taking off.

All the cell service in the area is sketchy because the networks are overwhelmed by the amount of phone calls.

My g/f's brother and her best friend were in the area during the explosion. Crazy stuff.

There has been an exslosion at the JFK library!

NBC is reporting that the library said there was an electrical fire, but that it wasn't related. So we don't know yet. The police said it was an explosion.

[quote name='bigdaddy']There has been an exslosion at the JFK library![/QUOTE]

uhhhhhh

Boston police also confirmed that another explosion occurred at John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum.

Rachel Day, a spokeswoman for the John F. Kennedy Library, located about three miles from the marathon’s finish line, said that there was a fire at the library but no one was injured.

This? Or something else?

[quote name='bigdaddy']There has been an exslosion at the JFK library![/QUOTE]

A library official is stating it was a fire in a mechanical room, unrelated (as of yet) to the bombings, and was quickly knocked out.

The director of the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum says that a 3 p.m. fire inside the building's mechanical room was not caused by a device and is apparently not related to the explosions at the Boston Marathon finish line.
Tom Putnam, the director of the JFK Library, said that the incident was confined to a mechanical room near the archive section of the library.

[quote name='willardhaven']"Controlled explosion" on Boylston St as well? Wonder what that was.[/QUOTE]

If that was the third "loud boom"/"explosion", officials indicated previously it was a water cannon and for residents to expect it and not be alarmed:

A third explosion was heard about an hour after the first two after authorities warned spectators to expect a loud noise from a water cannon that police apparently were using to destroy one of the devices.

[quote name='willardhaven']"Controlled explosion" on Boylston St as well? Wonder what that was.[/QUOTE]

If that was the third "loud boom"/"explosion", officials indicated it was a water cannon.

Christ, they are saying 12 dead on the NY Post link above (though as dohdough indicated, it *IS* the NY Post). I thought they just had their numbers wrong/preemptive when I saw an earlier update from them that indicated 10 dead followed by a newer update noting police confirming only 3 dead.

A federal law-enforcement source confirmed to The Post there are at least 12 dead and nearly 50 injured. Fox News reported that Massachusetts General Hospital was treating 10 people with amputated limbs and all operating rooms were on hold.
Authorities have a identified a suspect, a Saudi national, who is currently being guarded in a Boston hospital with shrapnel wounds.

Law-enforcement sources said at least the first explosion occurred in the lobby of a nearby hotel.

In addition, Boston police have surveillance video of someone bringing multiple backpacks to the blast site, according to CBS News.

According to reports, authorities in Boston found two more explosive devices that had not gone off and police were dismantling them. The airspace above the city was ordered cleared as well and designated a no-fly zone by the FAA.

Police confirmed a third explosion at JFK Library in Boston. Boston fire officials confirmed during a press conference that the third explosion was linked to the ones that occurred at the Marathon.

Although here the report is that the "third explosion" at JFK Library was linked to the Marathon ones (although I still suspect that if it was indeed just a fire in a mechanical room, that perhaps the fire officials thought the reporters were referring to the third "controlled boom" from the water cannon used on one of the found explosive devices.

I'd believe just about anyone over NY Post. Crazy Bob down by the corner has more reliable information than the NY Post.

The NY Post says it was a Middle Eastern... what a shock.

And what Willardhaven said, two at the finish line at 3:10 or so, after that police blew something up, then 4-4:30 one at JFK library. However Brian Williams said that the library reported a fire an hour or so ago, and that it wasn't related. I guess the national library has it's own news. But the police said it was an exclusion, so at this time, three bombs went off (or explosions, but let's be real, they are bombs), and one that the Boston PD took care off.

I understand the need to get information out as quickly as possible but it's ridiculous how so much BS gets put out so quickly. What happened to fact checking?

[quote name='dohdough']Well, is IS the NY Post. It's still a bit early for something like that.[/QUOTE]

Very true and I hope you're right, but stuff like this has leaked early from stranger places before... At this point all I know is that there was a bombing in Boston that killed at least 2 people and injured more. I don't want to say anything concrete until much more is known because these early reports have also been horribly wrong before.

Relatives of the victims of December’s school massacre in Newtown, Conn. were among those attending the race finish at a VIP area. It was not known if any of the relatives were among the casualties.

As if they haven't suffered enough...

[quote name='JP']I understand the need to get information out as quickly as possible but it's ridiculous how so much BS gets put out so quickly. What happened to fact checking?[/QUOTE]

Twitter happened. It can give a lot information out in seconds, wrong or right.

[quote name='dohdough']fuck, the hospital next to my folk's house is being evacuated. Brick-shitting time.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Tufts? Shit man.

I was leaving work just as this happened. Had an interesting commute home from Brookline but that's ok. Everyone I know is ok but I know a lot of people aren't so lucky.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Tufts? Shit man.

I was leaving work just as this happened. Had an interesting commute home from Brookline but that's ok. Everyone I know is ok but I know a lot of people aren't so lucky.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Mom works there too. Waiting to hear about her getting home from my dad.

edit: Tufts is clear. Can relax a little now.

The live feed from WBZ I've got open just took a shot at the Post without mentioning their name when talking about the supposed suspect in custody. They stated they had been able to confirm nothing to that affect.

Potential suspect injured and under police guard at the hospital according to WBUR.

Edit: The Boston Police Commissioner stated that this is false.

[quote name='JP']The live feed from WBZ I've got open just took a shot at the Post without mentioning their name.[/QUOTE]

Seriously fuck the New York Post. They should be fined for this shit.

If you need to get into contact with anyone in the area, text instead of call.

If you are looking to get in contact with someone in the area, authorities are urging you to text instead of call. The mobile lines have been flooded and calls are unable to get through

Here is the map of where the explosions happened.

First explosion was very close to the finish line, across from the Boston Public Library, somewhere around here.

Second explosion looks like it was at or very close to the Starbucks here. You can see roughly where it originates from in the pics and line it up around there from this site.

[quote name='willardhaven']Potential suspect injured and under police guard at the hospital according to WBUR.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe they just sourced the Post. SMH

bread's done
Back