Any Cheap Ass Beekeepers?

Mr Unoriginal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
111 (100%)
I'm starting out beekeeping as a hobby this year and was wondering if any other CAGs have any experience as an apiarist. My bees just got delivered today and they are getting situated in their hive.

This seems like a horribly bad idea, but I wish you the best!

What's the motivation behind this? If it's a bee beard I take back the "bad idea" portion of my post.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']This seems like a horribly bad idea, but I wish you the best!

What's the motivation behind this? If it's a bee beard I take back the "bad idea" portion of my post.[/QUOTE]

It's mainly just for fun. Of course, the honey will be nice, but just like any hobby, I wanted to try something new.

This sounds cool.

What type of investment did you have to make financially? I'm assuming besides the cost of bees and hives you needed gear as well? Does someone come to your residence and drop of a box of bees?

I have a friend whose grandfather had a small farm and they raised bees. If I remember correctly the honey tastes much different from what you would purchase in a store (similar to real maple syrup vs. store maple syrup). It was actually very sweet.

My parents have neighbors that raise bees on a very small scale.

Is it suggested to have a certain amount of land? I would imagine that raising bees in an urban setting from say a high rise balcony is probably a bad idea.

[quote name='GBAstar']This sounds cool.

What type of investment did you have to make financially? I'm assuming besides the cost of bees and hives you needed gear as well? Does someone come to your residence and drop of a box of bees?

I have a friend whose grandfather had a small farm and they raised bees. If I remember correctly the honey tastes much different from what you would purchase in a store (similar to real maple syrup vs. store maple syrup). It was actually very sweet.

My parents have neighbors that raise bees on a very small scale.

Is it suggested to have a certain amount of land? I would imagine that raising bees in an urban setting from say a high rise balcony is probably a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

Investment was not crazy but I guess it depends on how into it you want to get. I picked up two hives for about $300, two colonies of bees for $300, am taking a beekeeping class for $300 and then random equipment like the suit and smoker, etc was probably another $100. You could always start with one hive, but they say two is better so you can compare the progress and see which one needs help.

I picked up the bees from a local beekeeper, but it was basically a cardboard box with 4 frames in it covered in bees and the queen and I just moved those frames into my hive.

Urban beekeeping is very possible and even on a balcony. Bees will fly in basically a 3 mile radius to find pollen so you shouldn't really have any problems, if you are interested. We have a little under an acre and a pretty good sized vegetable garden, plus the town arboretum is about a mile away, so I'm planning on having some happy bees and some kick ass veggies this year.

Don't have bees, but hope to one day. You should plant a few fruit trees on your property if you don't have them already. Won't be of any help this year, but if you plan on keeping the bees for a while and staying at your current property for a while, it's a great investment. They have dwarf trees if you don't have a ton of room.

[quote name='blindinglights']Don't have bees, but hope to one day. You should plant a few fruit trees on your property if you don't have them already. Won't be of any help this year, but if you plan on keeping the bees for a while and staying at your current property for a while, it's a great investment. They have dwarf trees if you don't have a ton of room.[/QUOTE]

I do have a cherry tree and a pear tree plus a blueberry and blackberry bush. They are all young and I'm still fighting the birds for the fruit, but I'm hoping this year I have better luck. The cherry tree is in bloom and I'm dying for some homegrown cherries.

It sounds kind of cool (and pretty random!). I would check with the town to see if you need a permit. I would also hate you if I was your neighbor - good luck!

I've only ever had apple trees -- do cherry/pear trees self pollinate? I know with apples, you have to have more than one tree if you want it to put out fruit.

When we used to have a strawberry bed, we would put this netting stuff over it to keep the birds from tearing up the fruit (they always get them a couple days right before they're ready to be picked :bomb: ). You might be able to do the same with your berry bushes.

[quote name='Javery']It sounds kind of cool (and pretty random!). I would check with the town to see if you need a permit. I would also hate you if I was your neighbor - good luck![/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, there are no permits necessary in NJ.
I think our houses are close enough that the bees might visit you. Do you have a pool? They love chlorinated water for some reason.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I do have a cherry tree and a pear tree plus a blueberry and blackberry bush. They are all young and I'm still fighting the birds for the fruit, but I'm hoping this year I have better luck. The cherry tree is in bloom and I'm dying for some homegrown cherries.[/QUOTE]

Your place sounds cool as shit. I'm insanely allergic to 'em, but still find bee keeping super interesting. Hope you keep us posted.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Believe it or not, there are no permits necessary in NJ.
I think our houses are close enough that the bees might visit you. Do you have a pool? They love chlorinated water for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Haha - no pool but if I see a swarm of bees headed my way I'll wrap a tiny note around one of their legs for you to say hi.

[quote name='blindinglights']I've only ever had apple trees -- do cherry/pear trees self pollinate? I know with apples, you have to have more than one tree if you want it to put out fruit.

When we used to have a strawberry bed, we would put this netting stuff over it to keep the birds from tearing up the fruit (they always get them a couple days right before they're ready to be picked :bomb: ). You might be able to do the same with your berry bushes.[/QUOTE]

Both trees self pollinate, but I think only certain species do that.
I have built these houses with PVC pipe and the netting to put over the garden beds and the bushes, but it's tougher with the trees. If I lay the netting on top of the tree the birds just eat the fruit right through it. And you're right, they always seem to pick the fruit a day or two before I'm ready to do it!

For some reason I always thought beekeeping was illegal where I live, but I just checked the city website and there doesn't seem to be an ordinance regarding bees... I'd love to have chickens (because chickens are cool), but I don't think I have enough room for the city to give me the go ahead.

Best of luck with your bees! What kind did you get? (I'm unsure if there are lots of breeds to choose from like there are with chickens, dogs and cats)

[quote name='KillerRamen']For some reason I always thought beekeeping was illegal where I live, but I just checked the city website and there doesn't seem to be an ordinance regarding bees... I'd love to have chickens (because chickens are cool), but I don't think I have enough room for the city to give me the go ahead.

Best of luck with your bees! What kind did you get? (I'm unsure if there are lots of breeds to choose from like there are with chickens, dogs and cats)[/QUOTE]

Most towns do have ordinances for chickens, but I guess that's understandable since they are loud and smelly.

I have Italian Honeybees which are the most common/docile breed here, but I think Russian Honeybees are also fairly common for the amateur beekeeper.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Most towns do have ordinances for chickens, but I guess that's understandable since they are loud and smelly.

I have Italian Honeybees which are the most common/docile breed here, but I think Russian Honeybees are also fairly common for the amateur beekeeper.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I like 'em. I definitely have a large enough lot to have them, but the problem is that while I have a very large lot it is a very narrow lot and the placement of any coop wouldn't conform to the city code. I know that many people have mobile coops, but the city where I live requires a permanent structure with a concrete floor 50 feet apart from any property line.

We can have horses too, but they require 2.5 acres. :lol:

[quote name='beeman07']I've been keeping bees since 2004. Got any questions, just fire away.

-Fred.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, I may take you up on that. Taking a class this week so hopefully that will get me started.
How many hives are you keeping?

In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women.

I dunno anything about bees but good luck to you.

I hate anything with a stinger, having been stung far too many times in my life, including once nearly in the eye. You're nowhere near me though, so have fun. ;)

Got my first sting the other day during my beekeeping class. Right in the ear which wasn't pleasant but I haven't been stung in so long I was curious to see what it felt like again.

I went into my own hive for the first time yesterday after installing the bees and no stings and everyone was very calm. So far I have been just enjoying having a chair near the hives and watching them work and reading in the nice weather. Very calming.

I always thought this was BS until I tried it once, but if you get stung, take a little dry tobacco, wet it, and place it on the sting. It actually doe make the pain go away pretty fast. An uncle of mine told me that once (he smokes...) and I didn't believe him until I tried it later.

Funny to see this here as one of my friends from high school just posted pics on Facebook of his new bee colony. I thought that was pretty random but then I see it here on CAG too :lol:.

[quote name='io']Funny to see this here as one of my friends from high school just posted pics on Facebook of his new bee colony. I thought that was pretty random but then I see it here on CAG too :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Did you go to high school in NJ.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Did you go to high school in NJ.[/QUOTE]

Hah, no, California. My friend recently inherited his parents stunning house in the East Bay hills (complete view of Golden Gate Bridge and much of SF Bay). It is essentially an urban lot, though very residential up where he lives. On the other hand, it is a triple-lot so he has some room. It is much less than an acre though. Where I am now (not in CA) I would probably get fined by my Homeowner's Association if I tried to keep bees. They get on me about my trees all the time (I like them, they don't).

[quote name='io']Hah, no, California. My friend recently inherited his parents stunning house in the East Bay hills (complete view of Golden Gate Bridge and much of SF Bay). It is essentially an urban lot, though very residential up where he lives. On the other hand, it is a triple-lot so he has some room. It is much less than an acre though. Where I am now (not in CA) I would probably get fined by my Homeowner's Association if I tried to keep bees. They get on me about my trees all the time (I like them, they don't).[/QUOTE]

Ok, that makes sense. The timing was just so strange, you never know. My bees are pretty much in an urban setting, but I have the town arboretum about a mile from me so I think I should be okay.

bread's done
Back